First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Vietnamese anime characters
724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 6/3/08
I think it has a great deal to do with the state of race relations in Japan. There is a lot of racism towards non-Japanese Asians. Japan has an uneasy history with other Asian countries. In the past, it has either colonized or attempted to colonize China, Korea, the Philippines and Vietnam, and the Japanese Imperial Military committed atrocities in those countries. In attempts to justify these atrocities, right-wing groups often published racist propaganda.

Also, today Japan is one of the wealthiest countries in Asia, which means that people from poorer countries are moving there to find work. This feeds into fears that the newcomers are taking jobs away from Japanese people. I heard that one right-wing group even published a racist manga called "Stopping the Korean Wave." All of this sounds eerily similar to anti-immigrant sentiment in the U.S. against Mexicans, with the same cries of "they're stealing our jobs!" and "they're outbreeding us!"
1106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/08

hyenas wrote:

I think it has a great deal to do with the state of race relations in Japan. There is a lot of racism towards non-Japanese Asians. Japan has an uneasy history with other Asian countries. In the past, it has either colonized or attempted to colonize China, Korea, the Philippines and Vietnam, and the Japanese Imperial Military committed atrocities in those countries. In attempts to justify these atrocities, right-wing groups often published racist propaganda.

Also, today Japan is one of the wealthiest countries in Asia, which means that people from poorer countries are moving there to find work. This feeds into fears that the newcomers are taking jobs away from Japanese people. I heard that one right-wing group even published a racist manga called "Stopping the Korean Wave." All of this sounds eerily similar to anti-immigrant sentiment in the U.S. against Mexicans, with the same cries of "they're stealing our jobs!" and "they're outbreeding us!"


Wow, you should create a thread on "Stopping the Korean Wave" manga. It seems very interesting to discuss. I had never heard of a racist manga before.
370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 8/2/08 , edited 8/2/08

metalduck wrote:

Not too many black anime characters either... What's up with that?


One of the main cast from Black Lagoon.. they call him Dutch.

2076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Atlanta, Ga.
Offline
Posted 8/2/08 , edited 8/2/08

duy817 wrote:


metalduck wrote:

Not too many black anime characters either... What's up with that?


One of the main cast from Black Lagoon.. they call him Dutch.



Dutch from Black Lagoon is one the few DECENT Black Anime characters out there! He was portrayed as a Level headed, Ex-military, all around cool guy! The thing about Black Lagoon is that... it is truly a multi-racial/ethnic Anime series! A lot of Ethnic groups are represented(Yes, even Vietnamese)...it may not be always in the most POSITIVE way but at no time is ANY race/ethnicity portrayed as WEAK: Please focus your attention to the Picture below...


From left 2 right...Slavic, Caucasian, Chinese, Vietnamese(My 2nd favorite character by the way...so HOT!), and Japanese...all are represented as Strong, Smart, Beautiful women who all happen to be Sociopaths, and who loves GUN/KNIFE play! In other words, NORMAL WOMEN!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA.....Bring on the HATE MAIL!
80 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Fountain Valley,...
Offline
Posted 8/2/08
Well if youre talking about 3rd party characters.. I suggest the Vietnamese guy that was killed in episiode 3 in Black Lagoon.. He's Vietnamese from the evidence in that toon. Killed him! Are we looking for main characters?
80 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Fountain Valley,...
Offline
Posted 8/2/08
If were talking about African American characters... how bout Pedro from Excel Saga??
441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F / with yer mom
Offline
Posted 8/2/08
lol viet anime characters,any of them work in nail salons? i'm viet and i have like 10 aunts who do nail XD
...............



From left 2 right...Slavic, Caucasian, Chinese, Vietnamese(My 2nd favorite character by the way...so HOT!), and Japanese...all are represented as Strong, Smart, Beautiful women who all happen to be Sociopaths, and who loves GUN/KNIFE play! In other words, NORMAL WOMEN!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA.....Bring on the HATE MAIL!

haha, fuck yeah! that's why chicks are awesome
812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/2/08
lol MR Nguyen

forgot about that .... lol and they used the most common vietnamese surname.
2076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Atlanta, Ga.
Offline
Posted 8/3/08

KyasarinNguyen wrote:

lol MR Nguyen

forgot about that .... lol and they used the most common vietnamese surname.


Hey yeah...I forgot about Mr.Nguyen!
38556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The place where o...
Offline
Posted 8/3/08



From left 2 right...Slavic, Caucasian, Chinese, Vietnamese(My 2nd favorite character by the way...so HOT!), and Japanese...all are represented as Strong, Smart, Beautiful women who all happen to be Sociopaths, and who loves GUN/KNIFE play! In other words, NORMAL WOMEN!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA.....Bring on the HATE MAIL!

wow, those women could kill basiccally anyone
and im viet also
2076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Atlanta, Ga.
Offline
Posted 8/3/08 , edited 8/3/08

laudanum_lolipop wrote:

lol viet anime characters,any of them work in nail salons? i'm viet and i have like 10 aunts who do nail XD
...............



From left 2 right...Slavic, Caucasian, Chinese, Vietnamese(My 2nd favorite character by the way...so HOT!), and Japanese...all are represented as Strong, Smart, Beautiful women who all happen to be Sociopaths, and who loves GUN/KNIFE play! In other words, NORMAL WOMEN!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA.....Bring on the HATE MAIL!

haha, fuck yeah! that's why chicks are awesome


HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......My Ex is Vietnamese and neither she OR her 3 sisters worked at a Nail Salon...LOL! although, even she didn't know why most Nail Salons are operated by Vietnamese owners! Chicks awesome...mmmm, maybe! Best thing to happen to Mankind? Definitely!!!


P.s. I am now addicted to PHO!!!
P.s.s. KyasariNguyen: I LOVED Australia, the people down there are NUTS!
812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/3/08

gravion17 wrote:


laudanum_lolipop wrote:

lol viet anime characters,any of them work in nail salons? i'm viet and i have like 10 aunts who do nail XD
...............



From left 2 right...Slavic, Caucasian, Chinese, Vietnamese(My 2nd favorite character by the way...so HOT!), and Japanese...all are represented as Strong, Smart, Beautiful women who all happen to be Sociopaths, and who loves GUN/KNIFE play! In other words, NORMAL WOMEN!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA.....Bring on the HATE MAIL!

haha, fuck yeah! that's why chicks are awesome


HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......My Ex is Vietnamese and neither she OR her 3 sisters worked at a Nail Salon...LOL! although, even she didn't know why most Nail Salons are operated by Vietnamese owners! Chicks awesome...mmmm, maybe! Best thing to happen to Mankind? Definitely!!!


P.s. I am now addicted to PHO!!!
P.s.s. KyasariNguyen: I LOVED Australia, the people down there are NUTS!


their nuts? hahahhha how so? U went to Australia? u prob went to sydney or melbourne, i live further up >> brisbane.

love Pho its everywhere lol

+ my aunt works at a nail salon hahahha, and i know of others who work or own one. lol

2076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Atlanta, Ga.
Offline
Posted 8/3/08
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......My Ex is Vietnamese and neither she OR her 3 sisters worked at a Nail Salon...LOL! although, even she didn't know why most Nail Salons are operated by Vietnamese owners! Chicks awesome...mmmm, maybe! Best thing to happen to Mankind? Definitely!!!


P.s. I am now addicted to PHO!!!
P.s.s. KyasariNguyen: I LOVED Australia, the people down there are NUTS!

their nuts? hahahhha how so? U went to Australia? u prob went to sydney or melbourne, i live further up >> brisbane.

love Pho its everywhere lol

+ my aunt works at a nail salon hahahha, and i know of others who work or own one. lol



.....NICE! Well, the guys were NUTS any ways...Visited while I was in the NAVY (Sidney&Melbourne) what a bunch of LUSHS! I thought that was supposed to be a stereotype, BIG MISTAKE on my part...Beautiful country, Beautiful people and I WILL return some day soon!!!
P.s. You guys are soooooooooooo WRONG 4 making Vegimite!!! Not cool.....U guys TRICKED ME!
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 7/1/09
same here im viwetnamese too
Posted 7/1/09
kaname is black and he's awesome
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.