First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
90% of Atheists/Agnostics are idiot posers
144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
I am an Atheist,

1. Hobbes, Plato, Epicurus, Nietzsche, Sartre, Ayer, Kant etc.

2. Hate, no, pity yes.

3. You can't hate what you know does not exist; so if they hate god they aren't atheists in the first place.

4. No rational person could be convinced by the ontological argument, nor indeed by the teleological or cosmological argument.

5. Increasingly agnostic parents.

Maybe I am one of the 10%.

I am not sure how atheism or 'agnosticism' can help one 'pose'.
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere you wa...
Offline
Posted 5/7/08 , edited 5/7/08

Nanban wrote:

I am an Atheist,

1. Hobbes, Plato, Epicurus, Nietzsche, Sartre, Ayer, Kant etc.

2. Hate, no, pity yes.

3. You can't hate what you know does not exist; so if they hate god they aren't atheists in the first place.

4. No rational person could be convinced by the ontological argument, nor indeed by the teleological or cosmological argument.

5. Increasingly agnostic parents.

Maybe I am one of the 10%.

I am not sure how atheism or 'agnosticism' can help one 'pose'.


Its become kind of a fad. People see Dawkins, and other high profile atheists on tv, and adopt the position without really considering it. Not to mention it is seen "edgy", or at least it is where I live.
144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
I see what you mean; 'a rebel' type, but I always imagined that someone unsure of god's existence would fear incurring his wrath by pretending to be an atheist.
3649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
haha thats true

some of the atheists i do know are actually very informed in philosphies and know the bible better than even religious people. its pretty funny.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
A lot are posers, they want to feel cool because they go against their parents (who are usually religious) and they want to do whatever they want thinking they are perfectly justified as long as it is in their opinion, not harming someone else and ok by their standards. It is true that a lot of kids follow atheist and agnosticism because it's "cool."

Their beliefs are usually really week, and they constantly quote old dead philosophers who made some illogical comment, but it was witty and at the time makes them feel smart because the guys name is Socrates or some other well known philosopher. They constantly argue how angry they are at God. But as YouAreDumb said, you can't be angry at something that you believe doesn't exist. so a lot of the poser atheists are hypocrites and just like cracking down on religious people with the whole "religion is controlling, religion is a crutch, religion causes wars..." the basic garbage that runs through their minds. Yet they ignore anything good that has come from any religion, and they ignore the fact that they are intolerant of others beliefs, yet demand that others tolerate theirs and never ever use their religious beliefs in any moral decision making. A lot of the posers love feeling victimized "when I was 10, a Jehova's witness came to my house and tried to convert my mom! Such a tragedy I know >_> Yet they constantly want to impose their "fact" that there is no god to people constantly. A lot of the posers think they are soooo intellectual, yet any valid argument you use against them, they divert to the crusades or some local nut claiming to kill in the name of God. And in the end it turns into a "I hate God and here is why.... But He doesn't exist." A lot are just mad at life and use atheism as a crutch. They lean to false hopes and flawed logic that sounds witty and cool. They use atheism as an excuse to do whatever they want and to justify things that make sense in their own feeble minds, but truly are wrong. Another thing I don't understand about poser atheists, is if they are soooo tolerant of beliefs, how come it's ok for a Muslim to pray in school but it isn't for a Christian? How come it is ok to take God's name in vain? I mean if you are an atheist, why would you constantly say omg or Jesus in vain? If someone is a true atheist, they would not let those comments enter out of their mouth. Most atheists just join the bandwagon as a way to hate on religion, hate on religious people, and demand special double standards in their favor that they seem as "politically correct." This is a weak belief system, and is more of a crutch than any religion.

Hardcore atheists truly respect others beliefs and acknowledge that they practice them. True atheists wouldn't be offended by prayer or religious symbols. Why would someone be offended by something they view as having no meaning or truth? A true atheist wouldn't try and indoctrinate people or act rude because they think they are right. They would try and live at peace with others and not mind what others believe or practice as long as it isn't law breaking (like some murder cult) or as long as the religions aren't violent to nonbelievers and try and shove it down their throats. A true atheist would hold to the "fact" that they believe there is no higher power or afterlife, and would not be phased by any religion. If they truly hold to that belief, it shouldn't matter what someone else believes. Because in their mine, in the end, good, bad, poor, rich, religious, or atheist, everyone winds up dead and alifeless rotting corpse that ceases all existence and function.
Posted 5/7/08
What a coincidence, in study hall today I was reading the dictionary and I saw "agnostic" and here it is on cr forums.

1. Plato, Socrates, I consider Albert Einstein a philosopher as a philosopher by wordnet.princeton is a wise person who is calm and rational; someone who lives a life of reason with equanimity .

2. I don't hate them, Don't like them because they're religious either. I'm completely unbiased. What I do hate is when people take everything the bible says as law and when people prosecute people for questioning the validity of the "laws".

3. Cant be mad at something you are not sure is there...... Thats like blaming aliens or a ghost for something that happened to you

4. To be honest I never heard of that word ontology before but i just googled it and basically its the " study of being" could someone please message me with more details on this as i dont understand what google is giving me.

5. Wow. rebelling from religious parents..... never thought of that kind of reason.... all I have to say to those kinds of people is: Your parents are your parents get used to them
Posted 5/7/08

YouAreDumb wrote:


Nanban wrote:

I am an Atheist,

1. Hobbes, Plato, Epicurus, Nietzsche, Sartre, Ayer, Kant etc.

2. Hate, no, pity yes.

3. You can't hate what you know does not exist; so if they hate god they aren't atheists in the first place.

4. No rational person could be convinced by the ontological argument, nor indeed by the teleological or cosmological argument.

5. Increasingly agnostic parents.

Maybe I am one of the 10%.

I am not sure how atheism or 'agnosticism' can help one 'pose'.


Its become kind of a fad. People see Dawkins, and other high profile atheists on tv, and adopt the position with really considering it. Not to mention it is seen "edgy", or at least it is where I live.


art thou serious?! Where I live I am constantly made fun of and insulted because I am agnostic/atheist.... Maybe its just because I live in a close minded community
Posted 5/7/08
In regards to #3 I found this...... This was in the what would you ask God if you met him thread


twixandchips wrote:

i would tell god to go fuck himself.........and that he/she/it is the biggest asshole i have ever heard of.....then possibly try it assasinate it........cause face it, the world is better off without god (if it exists anyways)

46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
Um this happens in the other side too. How many Catholics do you actually think read the bible? and I mean actually reading it and assimilating the content. It happens everywhere so not really surprised.

yes, the people who dont bother to go further than the mainstream (sam harris, dawkins, Christopher Hitchen, etc) most of the time present a narroewd view of what it means to be Agnostic or atheist.




669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 5/7/08

YouAreDumb wrote:

Let me start by saying I am an agnostic. I have to say though that most people who are non religious are doing it to be part of the growing trend. They do not have real reasons for their stance any more than religious people do.

Ways to tell if someone is a stupid poser:

1. They talk like they are intellectuals yet they have could not name any philosophers(religious or otherwise) to save their life.

2.They hate religious people, and fail to realize this makes them just as stupid as the fundamentalists.

3. They are "mad" at god.Real atheists/agnostics are not mad at him, since they do not believe in him. When people say they do not believe for this reason they just an idiot.

4. They can be converted using something stupid, such as the ontological argument for god.

5. They are rebelling against religious parents.

There is a lot more, but you get the picture. These people are giving us a bad a name, and most stopped before they make everyone dismiss atheism/agnosticism.



1. so you don't believe anyone could ever come to their own beliefs without the influence of philosophers?
2. sure
3. being mad at "god" may not mean they accept god as existing simply their mad at the image of god other religions portray and fight for
4.yeah
5.haha yeah

not saying anything i agree with you mostly just throwin this out there

144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 5/7/08

digs wrote:

A lot are posers, they want to feel cool because they go against their parents (who are usually religious) and they want to do whatever they want thinking they are perfectly justified as long as it is in their opinion, not harming someone else and ok by their standards. It is true that a lot of kids follow atheist and agnosticism because it's "cool."

Their beliefs are usually really week, and they constantly quote old dead philosophers who made some illogical comment, but it was witty and at the time makes them feel smart because the guys name is Socrates or some other well known philosopher. They constantly argue how angry they are at God. But as YouAreDumb said, you can't be angry at something that you believe doesn't exist. so a lot of the poser atheists are hypocrites and just like cracking down on religious people with the whole "religion is controlling, religion is a crutch, religion causes wars..." the basic garbage that runs through their minds. Yet they ignore anything good that has come from any religion, and they ignore the fact that they are intolerant of others beliefs, yet demand that others tolerate theirs and never ever use their religious beliefs in any moral decision making. A lot of the posers love feeling victimized "when I was 10, a Jehova's witness came to my house and tried to convert my mom! Such a tragedy I know >_> Yet they constantly want to impose their "fact" that there is no god to people constantly. A lot of the posers think they are soooo intellectual, yet any valid argument you use against them, they divert to the crusades or some local nut claiming to kill in the name of God. And in the end it turns into a "I hate God and here is why.... But He doesn't exist." A lot are just mad at life and use atheism as a crutch. They lean to false hopes and flawed logic that sounds witty and cool. They use atheism as an excuse to do whatever they want and to justify things that make sense in their own feeble minds, but truly are wrong. Another thing I don't understand about poser atheists, is if they are soooo tolerant of beliefs, how come it's ok for a Muslim to pray in school but it isn't for a Christian? How come it is ok to take God's name in vain? I mean if you are an atheist, why would you constantly say omg or Jesus in vain? If someone is a true atheist, they would not let those comments enter out of their mouth. Most atheists just join the bandwagon as a way to hate on religion, hate on religious people, and demand special double standards in their favor that they seem as "politically correct." This is a weak belief system, and is more of a crutch than any religion.

Hardcore atheists truly respect others beliefs and acknowledge that they practice them. True atheists wouldn't be offended by prayer or religious symbols. Why would someone be offended by something they view as having no meaning or truth? A true atheist wouldn't try and indoctrinate people or act rude because they think they are right. They would try and live at peace with others and not mind what others believe or practice as long as it isn't law breaking (like some murder cult) or as long as the religions aren't violent to nonbelievers and try and shove it down their throats. A true atheist would hold to the "fact" that they believe there is no higher power or afterlife, and would not be phased by any religion. If they truly hold to that belief, it shouldn't matter what someone else believes. Because in their mine, in the end, good, bad, poor, rich, religious, or atheist, everyone winds up dead and alifeless rotting corpse that ceases all existence and function.


You make some interesting points

I take 'the lords name in vain' sometimes and I am an atheist, but I do it because it is habit, I was exposed to it from an early age. Also, I cannot offend a deity I know does not exist.

As for what you say about atheism being a crutch, you must be joking; its less of a crutch and more of a heavy weight. People who believe in god don't die they get eternal paradise, we atheists get a whole lot of nothingness, which is the crutch? Religion or atheism?

The essential problem with being an atheist is that you are bound to offend the religious because you know that the most important thing in their lives; god, does not exist. This is not an attempt to offend I am just explaining what it is to be an atheist, personally I avoid saying this to religious people, but as an atheist I must think it.

Also ( as you mentioned in your post) I have to say, it makes me sick inside to hear religious people trying to indoctrinate the general public or even their children, its hard to hear what you know to be false being sold as fact. However, I try to keep my mouth shut, despite my fear of the potential dangers of doing so.

-by typing this I have 'broken' my general rule of silence, but I am just trying to explain what it is to be a 'true' [sic] atheist.

You also said; ''How come it's ok for a Muslim to pray in school but it isn't for a Christian?'' whats that got to do with atheism? Who said that?!

Anyway back to the topic...
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere you wa...
Offline
Posted 5/7/08 , edited 5/7/08

digs wrote:


Hardcore atheists truly respect others beliefs and acknowledge that they practice them. True atheists wouldn't be offended by prayer or religious symbols. Why would someone be offended by something they view as having no meaning or truth? A true atheist wouldn't try and indoctrinate people or act rude because they think they are right. They would try and live at peace with others and not mind what others believe or practice as long as it isn't law breaking (like some murder cult) or as long as the religions aren't violent to nonbelievers and try and shove it down their throats. A true atheist would hold to the "fact" that they believe there is no higher power or afterlife, and would not be phased by any religion. If they truly hold to that belief, it shouldn't matter what someone else believes. Because in their mine, in the end, good, bad, poor, rich, religious, or atheist, everyone winds up dead and alifeless rotting corpse that ceases all existence and function.


Most of your post I agree with. The part here though I think is silly. True atheists/agnostics do not always respect everyones beliefs. I do not, and I assure you that many of us find religion to be laughable. They should TOLERATE beliefs and that is not the same thing at all.
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere you wa...
Offline
Posted 5/7/08 , edited 5/7/08

257715 wrote:




1. so you don't believe anyone could ever come to their own beliefs without the influence of philosophers?
2. sure
3. being mad at "god" may not mean they accept god as existing simply their mad at the image of god other religions portray and fight for
4.yeah
5.haha yeah

not saying anything i agree with you mostly just throwin this out there



1. No. I just get annoyed when people PRETEND to have read them.
3. If you say you dislike an image of god thats fine, but when you say you are mad at a being you don't think is real thats just silly.
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
Yeah don't expect beliefs to be easily respected is they are not soundly justified.
1912 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Vancouver
Offline
Posted 5/7/08
Atheism being edgy? A FAD?!...What a scary thought. Usually, you'll get stares if you pronounce yourself as an atheist/agnostic.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.