First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
If God Knows Everything Why Do People Pray for Anything?
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36
Offline
Posted 5/13/08

nipponboy911 wrote:

because everytime people pray they feel that they are talking to god and some hope that while they pray, someone will actually talk back >.<

P.S. whats with the sudden increase in threads about god? lol


agreed ..

maybe because its the season of GOD ..

and CR is the real GOD !

just kidding .
13761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 5/13/08
I don like to judge Religion or god....
375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines. aka...
Offline
Posted 5/14/08
I can't believe the utter nonsense you people speak. God does not exist and I challenge anyone else who thinks otherwise.
3468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Lost
Offline
Posted 5/14/08
I'm just "answering" your "header" here:

Because God is the one who knows everything and we are not. Which is why we must pray for help from God because he knows all while we only know what happens in the present time. We pray so that God will give us strength to continue on moving forward.
God is our Mentor.
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 5/15/08
God wants his people...to seek Him. He wants to test their faiths and prayer is a way of communicating. As it says, seek and you will find it,knock and the door will open....... So He wants us to seek Him always and trust in Him.
6598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 5/15/08
Personally I do not believe in a god, thus, I don't pray.
People who pray, pray for the sole reason of that their religion dictates them to do so.
I see no further need to elaborate the reasons why they do these 'practices.' It's their religion, enough said.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 5/15/08

timo_vanhalen wrote:

I can't believe the utter nonsense you people speak. God does not exist and I challenge anyone else who thinks otherwise.


Prove it. Even though I'm atheist, I still have enough sense to not blatantly state that God doesn't exist. Hey may not exist to me or you, that doesn't mean he can't exist to other people.
14946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / UNITED KINGDOM!!....
Offline
Posted 5/15/08

jaff07 wrote:

God already knows what we need before we ask something.


YouAreDumb wrote:


digs wrote:

God knows everything, but the Bible also says to ask God for the desires of our heart. God knows that we will pray for things, and He will give them to us according to His will God is not changing His will in the present when we ask, because He knew everything from before we were even alive. Just because we ask, doesn't mean we will get it. James 4:3- When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. Rom 8:5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. God hears the prayers of His Children. He wants us to have faith and to pray so the Holy Spirit can work. True God is all knowing, but prayer shows devotion and love to God, we shouldn't only pray for our desires, but for others things as well (like praising God and praying for others)

Btw to the 2nd poster, what do you mean by prophet? Do you mean Jesus? Jesus was not a prophet, Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God.

God knows what you want so when you pray for things your wasting your time. BTW Dig maybe you should know that prayer has no effect, or at least all studies I have seen suggest this.


It's not a waste of time. Even if he already knows what we need. God wants to hear, he wants to see and feel our faith and love to him.


he just wants us to hear it from us...!!you know maybe sometimes an excuse for us to talk to him when we forget...
1513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / californiaaaa.
Offline
Posted 5/15/08
i never really thought of this so much :/ lol
Posted 5/15/08 , edited 5/15/08
People pray because it makes them feel better and makes them feel like they're doing something even when they can't.

The closest doctrinally valid thing to prayer in Buddhism is probably the practice of saying and reflecting on ideas like "may all beings be happy and free from suffering." The point of this isn't to ask some god to help people, but to eliminate hatred from yourself. Basically, if you can honestly express this desire for ALL beings everywhere without exception to be free from suffering then it means you're not hating anyone and you're no longer subject to the anger and stress caused by your own hatred of various people.

Example:



I don't know if I can expect everyone to understand what I'm talking about but I guess I tried anyway....
11704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 5/15/08

MEMPHADON wrote:


digs wrote:



Btw to the 2nd poster, what do you mean by prophet? Do you mean Jesus? Jesus was not a prophet, Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God.


jesus was a prophet. any man that preaches for a god in its stead, in any religion, is considered a prophet.

and i'm no bible expert, so correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i recall jesus saying something about us all being sons of god or something.

also, what do you think of my originial question? which would be worse for christianity....or any religion for that matter? a god that is not all-knowing, or a prophet who was wrong about the god he represents?


Christianity- Jesus is the messiah, son of god
Jews- hez a prophet
162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 5/16/08

shibole wrote:

People pray because it makes them feel better and makes them feel like they're doing something even when they can't.

The closest doctrinally valid thing to prayer in Buddhism is probably the practice of saying and reflecting on ideas like "may all beings be happy and free from suffering." The point of this isn't to ask some god to help people, but to eliminate hatred from yourself. Basically, if you can honestly express this desire for ALL beings everywhere without exception to be free from suffering then it means you're not hating anyone and you're no longer subject to the anger and stress caused by your own hatred of various people.

Example:



I don't know if I can expect everyone to understand what I'm talking about but I guess I tried anyway....


i understand...i think that is why many radicals who are so dependent on god are blinded by their actions and hurt people in the process,
886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 5/16/08
Praying is a way of talking 2 God even if He knows everything we should talk or keep in touch in Him no mater what.
25914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 5/16/08
Praying is communicating to God. Idk but for me, prayer is not always asking God for something. Prayer is communicating with God like you communicating with friends. You talk about everything to God. It will make you feel good and God would be please that you communicate with him.

Yeah He already knows what you're going to pray about, but if you were Him, wouldn't it be better if you hear that person's prayers for yourself because that means that that person trusts you.
669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/08

deathnoterocks wrote:

Praying is communicating to God. Idk but for me, prayer is not always asking God for something. Prayer is communicating with God like you communicating with friends. You talk about everything to God. It will make you feel good and God would be please that you communicate with him.

Yeah He already knows what you're going to pray about, but if you were Him, wouldn't it be better if you hear that person's prayers for yourself because that means that that person trusts you.


ok you've said basically the same thing that everyones said here, the question is still logically not with any religious back round but everyone its making it a matter of belief rather than simple fact.

lets say person (A) is omnipotent, knows all sees all blah blah blah

is there any point, and why, should person (B) pray to him?

try providing an outside perspective
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.