First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
If God Knows Everything Why Do People Pray for Anything?
2082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / 東京都
Offline
Posted 5/16/08

257715 wrote:


deathnoterocks wrote:

Praying is communicating to God. Idk but for me, prayer is not always asking God for something. Prayer is communicating with God like you communicating with friends. You talk about everything to God. It will make you feel good and God would be please that you communicate with him.

Yeah He already knows what you're going to pray about, but if you were Him, wouldn't it be better if you hear that person's prayers for yourself because that means that that person trusts you.


ok you've said basically the same thing that everyones said here, the question is still logically not with any religious back round but everyone its making it a matter of belief rather than simple fact.

lets say person (A) is omnipotent, knows all sees all blah blah blah

is there any point, and why, should person (B) pray to him?

try providing an outside perspective


What you mean by that????
2082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / 東京都
Offline
Posted 5/16/08 , edited 5/16/08
If God know Everything, Why Do people pray for anything??

God really know everything.. But why we pray?? A lot of people keep misunderstand "pray" mean pray for "something". When you need something and just pray to God..Hope that God will give you this, give you that. This is for other religion.. For Christian "pray" not only when you need help only pray.. For christian "pray" also mean you talking with God.. Just like you talking with your friends, sharing your story with your friend. God want you to talk with him, want become more closer with you. But a lot people keep misunderstand the "pray" meaning. Just like your parents, your parents also like you telling or sharing with him/her about your story right? God also the same. He want his son or daughter talking and sharing everything about them with him too.. although he know everything about you...

906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 5/16/08
Actually, it's not God that wants or needs you or anything else for that matter... He's powerful beyond measure of any mortal and immortal being there is... I have no doubt about that...

It's us who need God, not the other way around. Of course this is easy to misinterpret as if you're to see yourself someone who's of higher priority than God himself.

=============================================================================================

The actions of humans doesn't disprove his power (Prayer I mean). Though prayers take time to come true it's all because of certain factors in which the one praying isn't fit to be given it yet. Point in prayer is that everything comes at the right time, never to late, never to early. Having faith in God and your prayer to come true is the key to it. If your prayer doesn't come true it's simple... What you're praying is something that will come to you eventually. God can make that prayer come true, but the question now will be, will you be NEEDING it? His plans are something beyond human comprehession.

Take this for example, you have a JigSaw Puzzle, you were given by God the pieces needed to form the puzzle one by one but at arranged in a certain order so you just need to connect the previous peice with the second peice. But you being an impatient person, went to ask all of the pieces. Now, the question is, how long will it take you to form that puzzle with all pieces on your hand rather than being handed out the pieces one by one but arranged in a certain order? If you were asked to start the game Halo in your Xbox 5 minutes after starting the puzzle, do you think you could make it in time?

Further more people who say that people are healed because of praying... >_< damn it... it's not praying.... it's their faith to God that healed them... When you pray, you talk to God. Prayers can be of any form, mine is like a conversation with a friend, simple as that but with a heart...

=============================================================================================

It's true that God sees everything that's happening, happened and that are bound to happen... The reason why He chose not intervine with these events because they are locked together with actions of mortals, which He has given absolute freedom... He gave man absolute freedom over everything in man's life... Man is free to choose whether he does good things in his life or the opposite of it. He just chose to watch over us and see what we do with this freedom. He knows we are his greatest creation, therefore we must prove it by making the right justified moral choice.

=============================================================================================

Also, by saying that God is a machine because of his omniscience prevents him from deciding and changing his mind... well that is something completely unacceptable.

First, have you even asked why he chose not to change his mind? The answer is simple, love. His love is far greater than that anyone could possibly imagine that he chose not to change his mind for the betterment of you, me and everyone else. He has chosed to love us no matter what the conditions maybe. It's a decision He made the moment He created everything.

=============================================================================================

To end this...

I know some people may find this hard to accept, especially those whose religion opposes mine and/or those who use the bible themselves as weapons to be used against us...

Well put it this way... The Bible is meant to be understood and taken with an open heart and open mind. By showing us certain verses of pages in the Bible without ever understanding completely the roots of those verses and without taking their meaning literally, would make you sound cool thinking you know the so called "evil" of the Bible... But honestly, it just made you look like an idiot to people who have better understanding of the religion itself. Unless you have better understanding of it's roots and understanding it in atleast Jesus' point of view (why Jesus, simple, he's the main character in the Bible), then you're just some idiot trying to look smart.

Answer me this... How much exactly do you know about ones religion and faith to actually say something like that? If you've experienced atleast one event in your life, after accepting everything in this religion whole heartdly, that contradicts with it's teachings, then tell us...

=============================================================================================
906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 5/16/08

257715 wrote:

ok you've said basically the same thing that everyones said here, the question is still logically not with any religious back round but everyone its making it a matter of belief rather than simple fact.

lets say person (A) is omnipotent, knows all sees all blah blah blah

is there any point, and why, should person (B) pray to him?

try providing an outside perspective


Logically, in terms of scientific evidence??? True enough that's questionable.

Scientifically there are no ways to prove of an existing God as no scientific method can ever prove it.

God in the Christian religion as well as the Islam religion may not be proven off in reality, but instead be considered as a myth, similar to those in Greece, Egypt and India.

But either ways science itself can't disprove the possibility of a God in both religions I mentioned.

Since science, as we know it today, still has boundaries bounded by earthly knowledge and limitations.

Once those boundaries are cleared, then perhaps... we'll be getting the scientific evidence we all seek

God himself cannot be proven with science.... YET, but his miracles can be... ;-)

375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines. aka...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08
(Before I start anything, I retract my previous challenge.)


Cuddlebuns wrote:


timo_vanhalen wrote:

I can't believe the utter nonsense you people speak. God does not exist and I challenge anyone else who thinks otherwise.


Prove it. Even though I'm atheist, I still have enough sense to not blatantly state that God doesn't exist. Hey may not exist to me or you, that doesn't mean he can't exist to other people.



Don't call yourself an Atheist. You just made a fool out of yourself.


Hey may not exist to me or you, that doesn't mean he can't exist to other people.


How absurd. What the fuck is "Hey may" anyway?

Atheism, as an explicit position, either affirms the nonexistence of gods or rejects theism. It's all but a philosophical stance. A stance which denies and rejects the existence of any deity or gods. In other words, if you cannot disprove the idea of there being a god, you ARE NOT A FUCKING ATHEIST. If you insist you are, then you are a damn weak one.



Prove it.


I could go on and on rambling about the over-used cosmological, teleological or anthropic arguments which has been presented countless times by you crazy rambling morons as sad attempts to sound smart, but it all ends in one conclusion -- religious fanatics cannot be free-thinkers. They are all conformist zealots who are terrified of being socially ostracized.

I could go on and on about how Jesus was not the wisest and best of men, but people cannot accept even the slightest shred of that fact. They dismiss every possible logic presented to them. One case of that is that other than you, nobody has even pitted molecule of riposte towards my previous challenge.

I've given up on these people. They obviously cannot see that the Church and generally all religion does nothing but retard moral growth and cause the social ills of society.

Trying to corroborate this is useless. I cannot call myself an Atheist. My answer: don't bother. Quoting Robert G. Ingroll:


"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know."


I align my stance as an Agnostic. Though these stances aren't worth shit if you just claim that title for the sake of pretending to be an intellectual. Just because you are having doubts about some God, that does not give you any shit worth of respect from others who share some similar ideals with you. I do not proclaim that I am Agnostic every time I am asked or challenged. It is stupid and not worth my time. As should you, seeing that you are too over-confident with that inane reply.

5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

timo_vanhalen wrote:

(Before I start anything, I retract my previous challenge.)


Cuddlebuns wrote:


timo_vanhalen wrote:

I can't believe the utter nonsense you people speak. God does not exist and I challenge anyone else who thinks otherwise.


Prove it. Even though I'm atheist, I still have enough sense to not blatantly state that God doesn't exist. Hey may not exist to me or you, that doesn't mean he can't exist to other people.



Don't call yourself an Atheist. You just made a fool out of yourself.


Hey may not exist to me or you, that doesn't mean he can't exist to other people.


How absurd. What the fuck is "Hey may" anyway?

Atheism, as an explicit position, either affirms the nonexistence of gods or rejects theism. It's all but a philosophical stance. A stance which denies and rejects the existence of any deity or gods. In other words, if you cannot disprove the idea of there being a god, you ARE NOT A FUCKING ATHEIST. If you insist you are, then you are a damn weak one.



Prove it.


I could go on and on rambling about the over-used cosmological, teleological or anthropic arguments which has been presented countless times by you crazy rambling morons as sad attempts to sound smart, but it all ends in one conclusion -- religious fanatics cannot be free-thinkers. They are all conformist zealots who are terrified of being socially ostracized.

I could go on and on about how Jesus was not the wisest and best of men, but people cannot accept even the slightest shred of that fact. They dismiss every possible logic presented to them. One case of that is that other than you, nobody has even pitted molecule of riposte towards my previous challenge.

I've given up on these people. They obviously cannot see that the Church and generally all religion does nothing but retard moral growth and cause the social ills of society.

Trying to corroborate this is useless. I cannot call myself an Atheist. My answer: don't bother. Quoting Robert G. Ingroll:


"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know."


I align my stance as an Agnostic. Though these stances aren't worth shit if you just claim that title for the sake of pretending to be an intellectual. Just because you are having doubts about some God, that does not give you any shit worth of respect from others who share some similar ideals with you. I do not proclaim that I am Agnostic every time I am asked or challenged. It is stupid and not worth my time. As should you, seeing that you are too over-confident with that inane reply.



1. You don't have to be so rude and vulgar when I haven't acted that way towards you.
2. "Hey may" was just a typo that was supposed to say "He may." Everyone makes mistakes every once in a while.

The reason why I say that God only exists to some people is because many people need some sort of higher power to tell them what to do so that they can function properly. Everyone has their own set of morals, and many people like to refer to theirs as God because for various reasons, mainly because they don't feel that they are worthy enough to determine what is right or wrong, so they give credit to some higher power. I'm not saying he's any sort of tangible being, he still exists in many people's minds. Maybe I'm not atheist because I believe this, but I don't know a better way to describe my personal religious views since there is no God for me.

Not all religious people are completely ignorant, although many of them are, so it's not fair to call all of them closed minded conformists.

I'm not sure if I replied very well, and I can't really reply to the rest of your post since it just seems like anger-fueled gibberish to me. Maybe that makes me stupid for not understanding all those big words put together, but if I am then so be it.
375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines. aka...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:

1. You don't have to be so rude and vulgar when I haven't acted that way towards you.
2. "Hey may" was just a typo that was supposed to say "He may." Everyone makes mistakes every once in a while.

The reason why I say that God only exists to some people is because many people need some sort of higher power to tell them what to do so that they can function properly. Everyone has their own set of morals, and many people like to refer to theirs as God because for various reasons, mainly because they don't feel that they are worthy enough to determine what is right or wrong, so they give credit to some higher power. I'm not saying he's any sort of tangible being, he still exists in many people's minds. Maybe I'm not atheist because I believe this, but I don't know a better way to describe my personal religious views since there is no God for me.

Not all religious people are completely ignorant, although many of them are, so it's not fair to call all of them closed minded conformists.

I'm not sure if I replied very well, and I can't really reply to the rest of your post since it just seems like anger-fueled gibberish to me. Maybe that makes me stupid for not understanding all those big words put together, but if I am then so be it.



1. You don't have to be so rude and vulgar when I haven't acted that way towards you.


Oh I'm sorry did I hurt you feelings? I regret it sooooo much.

No really, get down from your high horse. I makes me so sad that you have morally dwarfed me. I'm being sarcastic, by the way.


anger-fueled gibberish


A few curse words thrown in, then immediately dismiss it as sophomoric, eh? Oh "gibberish" -- you use that term quite loosely. You should take a look at your own post:



Not all religious people are completely ignorant, although many of them are, so it's not fair to call all of them closed minded conformists.


Oh, criticize first then defend them afterwards? Smooth. I have no qualms with their decision to remain block-headed, but the moment they try and tell who to fuck or what to eat, that's where I get pissed. I do not hate religious people because of their dependency on a mythological Old Man, if I did, I'd be also hating kids who believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I hate them because they preach their defective moralities upon me. It's one thing being told what to do, but it's another thing to be told what to do based on some asinine beliefs of ancient, ignorant men who established religion long ago because they still needed an excuse for the creation of the universe.

The entirety of my previous rant was for the purpose of citing the hypocrisy of theists. I cannot tolerate bigotry.


that makes me stupid for not understanding all those big words put together


Well that's not my problem is it? You see, there's a new thing they invented called the "dictionary", it tells you ALL of the words that you did not manage to learn in school! Awesome right?!

My choice of vocabulary is not to belittle you or anything. I speak what I think, and when I try to speak, those are the only known words that I know that could fully maximize the point that I wanted to deliver. If your ignorance of the English language impedes your understanding, then it is not my fault. I will not purposely make myself illiterate just to please some person who should know all of those words by now.

5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

timo_vanhalen wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:

1. You don't have to be so rude and vulgar when I haven't acted that way towards you.
2. "Hey may" was just a typo that was supposed to say "He may." Everyone makes mistakes every once in a while.

The reason why I say that God only exists to some people is because many people need some sort of higher power to tell them what to do so that they can function properly. Everyone has their own set of morals, and many people like to refer to theirs as God because for various reasons, mainly because they don't feel that they are worthy enough to determine what is right or wrong, so they give credit to some higher power. I'm not saying he's any sort of tangible being, he still exists in many people's minds. Maybe I'm not atheist because I believe this, but I don't know a better way to describe my personal religious views since there is no God for me.

Not all religious people are completely ignorant, although many of them are, so it's not fair to call all of them closed minded conformists.

I'm not sure if I replied very well, and I can't really reply to the rest of your post since it just seems like anger-fueled gibberish to me. Maybe that makes me stupid for not understanding all those big words put together, but if I am then so be it.



1. You don't have to be so rude and vulgar when I haven't acted that way towards you.


Oh I'm sorry did I hurt you feelings? I regret it sooooo much.

No really, get down from your high horse. I makes me so sad that you have morally dwarfed me. I'm being sarcastic, by the way.


anger-fueled gibberish


A few curse words thrown in, then immediately dismiss it as sophomoric, eh? Oh "gibberish" -- you use that term quite loosely. You should take a look at your own post:



Not all religious people are completely ignorant, although many of them are, so it's not fair to call all of them closed minded conformists.


Oh, criticize first then defend them afterwards? Smooth. I have no qualms with their decision to remain block-headed, but the moment they try and tell who to fuck or what to eat, that's where I get pissed. I do not hate religious people because of their dependency on a mythological Old Man, if I did, I'd be also hating kids who believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I hate them because they preach their defective moralities upon me. It's one thing being told what to do, but it's another thing to be told what to do based on some asinine beliefs of ancient, ignorant men who established religion long ago because they still needed an excuse for the creation of the universe.

The entirety of my previous rant was for the purpose of citing the hypocrisy of theists. I cannot tolerate bigotry.


that makes me stupid for not understanding all those big words put together


Well that's not my problem is it? You see, there's a new thing they invented called the "dictionary", it tells you ALL of the words that you did not manage to learn in school! Awesome right?!

My choice of vocabulary is not to belittle you or anything. I speak what I think, and when I try to speak, those are the only known words that I know that could fully maximize the point that I wanted to deliver. If your ignorance of the English language impedes your understanding, then it is not my fault. I will not purposely make myself illiterate just to please some person who should know all of those words by now.


I would be able to reply reasonably any other time, but since you seem to be the type of person who has to put down others for no reason (which really frustrates me) and you can't simply be polite to others who have no ill feelings towards you, then I can't really think straight since I'm holding back my urge to throw pointless insults at you. So I'll just drop this issue and let you continue to insult me for no reason.

375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Philippines. aka...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08 , edited 5/17/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:

I would be able to reply reasonably any other time, but since you seem to be the type of person who has to put down others for no reason (which really frustrates me) and you can't simply be polite to others who have no ill feelings towards you, then I can't really think straight since I'm holding back my urge to throw pointless insults at you. So I'll just drop this issue and let you continue to insult me for no reason.



What insults? I did not insult you even once on my previous post. I even limited my profanities to just one F-bomb (which shouldn't even count since it was not even directed at you and it was used in context).


you seem to be the type of person who has to put down others for no reason (which really frustrates me)


You know one thing that really frustrates me? It's a person saying reprehensible nonsense. Tell me please, just WHAT was in my previous point that "put you down"? Was it presenting a totally feasible argument? Or was it you being too immature that you cannot admit that you have nothing to say?

I did NOT "put you down". Just because I presented you with hard logic and common sense that you failed to recognize, it is not my fault. It is your fault that you fail to realize facts and you just cannot accept it.


you can't simply be polite to others who have no ill feelings towards you


It's called a disagreement. There are tons of it in real life. You may have not intended to insult me, but if memory serves me correctly, it was you who questioned my initial statement with such (pardon my language, since you hate that, right?) bullshit. My reason for responding to you was to answer your question, whilst pointing out the (many) flaws of it. I might have not answered sweetly and adorably like Barney or whatever, but get it into your head that not all real, live people are fruits. In fact, there are only a handful of them.


then I can't really think straight since I'm holding back my urge to throw pointless insults at you. So I'll just drop this issue and let you continue to insult me for no reason.


This is funny. I once used this lame excuse for some argument which I was losing in. Don't pretend to still be capable of a counter-argument when you know that you cannot. If you cannot defend your point, then know your place and realize you have lost in wit.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

timo_vanhalen wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:

I would be able to reply reasonably any other time, but since you seem to be the type of person who has to put down others for no reason (which really frustrates me) and you can't simply be polite to others who have no ill feelings towards you, then I can't really think straight since I'm holding back my urge to throw pointless insults at you. So I'll just drop this issue and let you continue to insult me for no reason.



What insults? I did not insult you even once on my previous post. I even limited my profanities to just one F-bomb (which shouldn't even count since it was not even directed at you and it was used in context).


you seem to be the type of person who has to put down others for no reason (which really frustrates me)


You know one thing that really frustrates me? It's a person saying reprehensible nonsense. Tell me please, just WHAT was in my previous point that "put you down"? Was it presenting a totally feasible argument? Or was it you being too immature that you cannot admit that you have nothing to say?

I did NOT "put you down". Just because I presented you with hard logic and common sense that you failed to recognize, it is not my fault. It is your fault that you fail to realize facts and you just cannot accept it.


you can't simply be polite to others who have no ill feelings towards you


It's called a disagreement. There are tons of it in real life. You may have not intended to insult me, but if memory serves me correctly, it was you who questioned my initial statement with such (pardon my language, since you hate that, right?) bullshit. My reason for responding to you was to answer your question, whilst pointing out the (many) flaws of it. I might have not answered sweetly and adorably like Barney or whatever, but get it into your head that not all real, live people are fruits. In fact, there are only a handful of them.


then I can't really think straight since I'm holding back my urge to throw pointless insults at you. So I'll just drop this issue and let you continue to insult me for no reason.


This is funny. I once used this lame excuse for some argument which I was losing in. Don't pretend to still be capable of a counter-argument when you know that you cannot. If you cannot defend your point, then know your place and realize you have lost in wit.


You win. I lose. I'm just a dumb kid who doesn't know anything, and you're obviously an expert on this topic, so I had no reason to start a discussion with you. I admit defeat and recognize your superiority.
Posted 5/17/08
God is God.
860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 5/19/08
as Christians, prayer is not a request, instead a COMMAND. God answers back through the Bible. The Bible contains thousands of unclaimed promises stored for us. Yes, God answers the desires of our heart, but that is still based on our motives, the reason why there are some things which God does not allow to happen(the things which our heart desires) is because He has more conclusive reasons for it. Jeremiah 11:29 says: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Everything He does is for our own good, He knows what's best because He is our Father. God knows what to do with our lives, but still He wants us to talk to Him and hear everything that we want from our own lips. And besides, praying is not just about supplication, it's also about thanking Him, asking for forgiveness or tell Him the things which we would like to share. Prayer is a means of communicating. We know how communication is important. Since He is our God,our Abba, our Father, don't you think He deserves to hear something from us?
What I'm trying to pinpoint is that, God will be very happy if we talk to Him because it shows that we trust Him. And that is what God wants from us, faith and trust!
1696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 6/12/09
I've always wondered this question
If he knows everything why do you have to pray????


What people don't understand is that the future can never change
it will always be the future
if it's changed then it was not, or will not be, the future



Everything that happens to you and around you, you can't control, it has already been decided
the only thing that can dictate what you will or will not do, is where your born, and the personality and character you are born with

the first one is decided by your parents, it's not very fair to be punished for thier choice

the second one is decided by god, you creator (if you believe in him )
he makes you that way, in other words, he writes your future
if he knows that your going to be born somewhere, why would he give you a personality that will make you bad in that position?????
he controls your future through the personality he gives you, then he punishes you for it

so basicly whether or not you will go to heaven or hell has already been decided by god, the moment he created you
























































Posted 6/12/09

redemogirl wrote:

Praying is a way of talking 2 God even if He knows everything we should talk or keep in touch in Him no mater what.


^ what she said.
1696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 6/12/09

mystic17 wrote:


redemogirl wrote:

Praying is a way of talking 2 God even if He knows everything we should talk or keep in touch in Him no mater what.


^ what she said.


she sounds like a little girl
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.