First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Public Speaking
1501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
home
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

Bedlam wrote:

The only reason I detest public speaking is that I never prepare for those damn things. But once the nervousness leaves and you get the ball rolling, it's just a matter of keeping it up and not losing your place or your train of thoughts.

I've spoken at prospective student receptions, debates, large club meetings, done proposals, toasts, MC
'd a fashion show, etc. In all of them, the best thing to do is get over your nervousness and to always look at your audience. See how they react to what you say, if you notice them getting bored or relaxed, bust out a timely joke or quip so their attention comes back. Etc., blah.


yeah when you actually enjoy the topic you're talking about, u get less nervous like what happened to me.
I couldn't believe I talked about politics with my teacher last week and I didn't stutter a bit and I enjoyed it..me! a considered otaku who stays at home and afraid of talking...just talked about politics with my teacher and everyone in my class was dead quiet..

3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

uzuke wrote:


chinky_sonny wrote:

better get prepared and rehearse . the first five min will be a little hard (phobias , that is )so just do something to get a sort of tipsy like nobody exists and the rest will be fine just as rehearsed.


preparing is a good thing but for some people(not me) think that it's not worth it to rehearse because they think they're going to end up nervous anyway. That is the result of low esteem.



i agree. first timers will have the nervous feelings and after a series of presentations those things will be the thing of the past. still for most the five minutes rule apply
18981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 5/17/08
I think I might be in the minority, but I absolutely love giving speeches/presentations/etc.
Posted 5/17/08
i cant even perform in front of one person -.-
10694 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/17/08
i suck at public speaking. i get so nervous that i feel my heart is about to explode.
1501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
home
Offline
Posted 5/17/08

azn099 wrote:

i suck at public speaking. i get so nervous that i feel my heart is about to explode.


the chest hurts..XD

2700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth (duh)
Offline
Posted 5/17/08
I dont feel like myself when im in the center of attention... once i get over the start barrier... i feel even less like myself (like when i actually start my speech/piano etc) like some other person is doing everything and when its all done... great relief.... but god getting over that "barrier" is like.... pain DX stomach and everything goes bad
1549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / 私の秘密世界・・・
Offline
Posted 5/17/08
I'm in the junior debate team at school but I have fear of speaking in public...
When I entered the public speaking competition in grade 6...I totally mumbled my way through the speech..I was seriously too nervous...
1501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
home
Offline
Posted 5/18/08

cheesepizza wrote:

I dont feel like myself when im in the center of attention... once i get over the start barrier... i feel even less like myself (like when i actually start my speech/piano etc) like some other person is doing everything and when its all done... great relief.... but god getting over that "barrier" is like.... pain DX stomach and everything goes bad


Yes I always do that too. You imagine yourself as someone else.

835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / australia
Offline
Posted 5/18/08
i hate public speaking...
26820 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 5/18/08
i love public speaking but i hate stage freight... it occurs to me all the time
775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / *over here*
Offline
Posted 5/18/08
well im not really good in speaking with other people,,,so it was a real surprise to me when the school (high school) picked me up as the representative for a speech,,,I asked my classmates why me?,,,why not the class president or anyone else?,,,the reply that I got was because I got an "excellent" English accent (which is now questionable),,,we're not a native of that language (and my school is a "not so good" public school) so they had recognized my skill as an extraordinary skill,,,(I eventually got it from watching too much English TV series when I was younger),,,so I was horrified,,,I don't know how I'm gonna face all those people,,,when i can't even take a straight face to a single person,,,

,,,I was really nervous,,,but at the same time,,,proud,,,because I was chosen,,,out of thousands of students they had picked me because I was "good",,,so it was some sort of a praise to me though not directly expressed,,,

as the day of that day nears,,,the more I get nervous,,,the more I get out of focus,,,
because I had this fear,,,fear that I might just humiliate myself in front of these people,,,and be laughed at by those higher than me,,,


*if you can't look at them in the eye,,,look at their heads instead,,,


but my speech really turned out well,,,but I think it's not worth remembering,,,but still I did it didn't I?

now that I'm in college,,,i still find it hard speaking,,,in front of everyone else,,,I'm in a prestigious school right now,,,so most people there are intimidating,,,so its a great pressure for me,,,really great that whenever I try to recite my opinion in the class I stutter and stumble with my words,,,but I wanna conquer it,,,I wanna get better in speaking,,,so that I can make everyone listen
Posted 5/18/08
im pretty good at public speaking, i peform well under pressure
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.