First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Learning Japanese
Member
6512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. California
Offline
Posted 12/21/07
in fact i need help with a translation. a friend said "gambaremashou" but i dont know how to break this down. i have a general idea of what it means but i just can translate this correctly. i know "Ganbatte kudasai" and i believe "gambaremashou" is a response along the lines of "i'll try my best" but i just cant seem to break this down correctly.
Creator
13418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / JPN -> KR -> USA
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

floe304 wrote:

in fact i need help with a translation. a friend said "gambaremashou" but i dont know how to break this down. i have a general idea of what it means but i just can translate this correctly. i know "Ganbatte kudasai" and i believe "gambaremashou" is a response along the lines of "i'll try my best" but i just cant seem to break this down correctly.


"I'll try my best" = Ganbarimasu.. (like, working alone)
"Let's try our best!" = Ganbarimashou (like..saying to the person that working together... somthin like that..)
... and i dont even know how to break it down.. i think it's one word..
Member
6512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. California
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
well all the online dictionaries dont know what this word is so i assume that it needs to be broken down a bit.
Creator
13418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / JPN -> KR -> USA
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

floe304 wrote:

well all the online dictionaries dont know what this word is so i assume that it needs to be broken down a bit.


nah.. u don't need to..

go to this site:
http://www.englishjapaneseonlinedictionary.com/
and type in "ganbarimasu" all in one word on Japanese to English search bar..... it show a result and it literally means "ill do my best"....

if it shows that result,

i assume that most of online Japanese-English dictionaries are ...hmm imcomplete? i guese.. because they don't show any result for "ganbarimashou" and bdw i think it doesnt need to be broken down from my knowledge..
Member
6512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. California
Offline
Posted 12/24/07

bdragonst wrote:


floe304 wrote:

well all the online dictionaries dont know what this word is so i assume that it needs to be broken down a bit.


nah.. u don't need to..

go to this site:
http://www.englishjapaneseonlinedictionary.com/
and type in "ganbarimasu" all in one word on Japanese to English search bar..... it show a result and it literally means "ill do my best"....

if it shows that result,

i assume that most of online Japanese-English dictionaries are ...hmm imcomplete? i guese.. because they don't show any result for "ganbarimashou" and bdw i think it doesnt need to be broken down from my knowledge..


thanks for the info i wasnt sure, i just couldnt find it so i started to think i needed to break it down more
Member
1538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / ph
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

URbaka wrote:


floe304 wrote:

mina, watashi hontoni gomennasai. i am still new to constructing sentences.



Hmm...?
I truly don't really understand what you said... Are you trying to say that you are mina? If so then it's:
Watashi wa Mina-san desu.
In Japanese you must tell the subject by adding 'wa' after the subject word. By doing so you indicate what you are going to talk about, the subject. In this case you talk about yourself, therefore 'watashi' (meaning: I/me) is the subject. Mina (your name) is the object and being mina is the verb. (sentence structure SOV).
And why do you have 'hontoni' (meaning: really) and gomennasai (meaning: sorry)? It looks wierd but were you trying to say that you are sorry to mina? or is mina you?



i have a question regarding "Mina" while i just watching some japanese drama, i think the word "mina" for everybody. is this right, please correct me if im wrong. i want to understand japanese more and more. their construction in sentences. im a filipino from the philippines
Member
1538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / ph
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

critiasc wrote:

Ok.. this is how it works in detail. There are 3 groups of verbs in total

*this is for +nai nor +nakatta (different)

Group 1
If the verb (dictionary form) ends with ru, just drop ru and +masu or +mashita etc

eg.
Taberu => Tabe +masu
Miru => Mi +masu


Group 2
if it ends in other forms, take the second base (look at the hiragana sheet) and add masu

eg..
Kasu => Ka shi +masu

Yomu=> Yo mi +masu

Kaku=> Ka ki +masu

and so on..


Group 3
There are only 2 verbs in this group.
They are kuru and suru

Kuru => Ku => Ki + masu
Suru => Su => Shi + mas

Just practice it more and it will come easily to you.



do you know how to write in japanese characters. like katakana or hiragana
Member
1538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / ph
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

ginnifer86 wrote:

I totally agreed with anaraz nihongo is difficult to understand and learn too. I have problems struggling with my current nihon class.
Anyway I’ll just continue with adjective which I don’t think anyone has posted yet.
Here goes:

There are 2 types of adjective in Japan language.
• い- adjective
E.g: omoshiroi(おもしろい,Amusing), ookii(おおきい,big), tanoshii(たのしい,enjoyable), etc…
*mostly all ending with “い” is under this adjective

• な-adjective
E.g: shinsetsu(しんせつ, kind), benri(べんり,convenient), etc….
*Impt: kirei(きれい,pretty), yuumei(ゆうめい,famous) though end with “い” fall under “な”-adjective

Btw, adjective is descriptive words. For those who doesn’t know what is it :D
I’ll continue….

When using adjective + noun:
• い- adjective
Omoshiroi sensei (おもしろい せんせい, Amusing teacher)

• な-adjective
Shinsetsu na hito(しんせつ  ひと, Kind person)
*Always add a “な” between the adjective and noun

Here comes the sentence structure part which I have difficulty remembering it. I’ll start with な-adjective first as it’s the easiest:
• な-adjective
Present(positive): ano hito wa yuumei desu(あのひと は ゆうめいです,That person is famous.)
Past(positive): ano hito wa yuumei deshita(あのひと は ゆうめいでした, That person was famous.)
Present(negative): ano hito wa yuumei jaaarimasen(あのひと は ゆうめいじゃありません, That person is not famous.)
Past(negative): ano hito wa yuumei jaaarimasen deshita(あのひと は ゆうめいじゃありませんでした, That person was not famous.)

• い- adjective
Present(positive): ano hito wa omoshiroi desu(あのひと は おもしろいです, That person is amusing.)
Past(positive): ano hito wa omoshirokatta desu(あのひと は おもしろかったです,That person was amusing.)#
Present(negative): ano hito wa omoshirokunai desu(あのひと は おもしろくないです,That person is not amusing.) #
Past(negative): ano hito wa omoshirokunakatta desu(あのひと は おもしろくなかったです,That person was not amusing.)#
#Rule: omit the “い” from the adjective

I hope I have helped much with the adjective part .
Oh if there’s any mistake correct me. That way I can learn my mistake too.


it really help for all of us. thanks for the contribution
Member
6512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. California
Offline
Posted 12/26/07

kalliope wrote:
i have a question regarding "Mina" while i just watching some japanese drama, i think the word "mina" for everybody. is this right, please correct me if im wrong. i want to understand japanese more and more. their construction in sentences. im a filipino from the philippines

minna
(adv,n) (1) all; everyone; everybody; (2) everything; (P)
mina
(adv,n) (1) all; everyone; everybody; (2) everything; (P)
minasan
(n) (hon) all; everyone; everybody; (P)

hon
honorific or respectful language (sonkeigo) language

Reference: http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

yes and no, actually "minna" is the one commonly used form, from what i understand. i left it mina so people will understand the post that followed about how it was spelled wrong. i first used mina because that is how i thought it was spelled and confirmed when i used the referenced link online dictionary. but mina was confused like it was someones "name" instead of a reference for "everyone" but i guess "mina" is the root word for everyone but not used. from other online dictionaries "everyone = Minna, Minasan (hon)" they dont show mina.

Minna hontou ni gomennasai! i never clarified or resolved this matter. i just assumed people would get it by reading the rest of the following post
Member
1077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/30/07
Hmm if you want to learn it quicker you can get a japanese boyfriend. From what I've heard it really does improve your japanese

ogenki desu ka= How are you doing?!
hajimemashite= nice to meet you
yoroshiku=*impolite form of nice to meet you
Member
6512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. California
Offline
Posted 12/31/07

cocoluvnihon wrote:

Hmm if you want to learn it quicker you can get a japanese boyfriend. From what I've heard it really does improve your japanese

ogenki desu ka= How are you doing?!
hajimemashite= nice to meet you
yoroshiku=*impolite form of nice to meet you


lol that might work if i was gay or if i was a girl. but a japanese girlfriend might work too...
Member
657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Guam
Offline
Posted 1/2/08
I hate conjugating.
Member
14395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / the great northwest
Offline
Posted 1/2/08
dudes thanks i always want to learn few of jpanaese words,,katakana,hiragana and kanji! arigato guzaimasu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Member
14395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / the great northwest
Offline
Posted 1/2/08
so words like "boku" and "ore wa" r 4 boiz only hw bout "watashi wa" 4 boi or gurl?
Member
14395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / the great northwest
Offline
Posted 1/2/08
Nihon-jin ja arimasen.-im not japanese
hajimemashite-how are you (1st time meeting)
oohiyo-good morning
konnichiwa-hello,good afternoon
sumimasen-sorry (formal)
gomen-sorry (informal)
sumimasen-sorry,excuse me(formal)
genki desu ka-how are you?
gokusei-student
mina-san-everybody
sou desuka-i see,,
arigato-thank you
dou itashimashite-your welcum
iie-no
tomadachi-friend
sayonara-ggodbye
dewa mata-see you later
ja mata-see you later (less formal)
mata ashita-see you tomorrow
ittekimasu-you say it wen your leaving uyour house to go to school
onegaishimasu-please
kore-THIS,,,
the following are followed by noun that they modify
it's called as KO-SO-A-DO system
kono-this
sono-that
ano-that,over there
dono-which

atashi-I (for girls)
boku and ore-I (for boys)
wa-it's a topic marker..

ok that's it for now that's the only japanese words know so far,,ToT im still learning,,,,this site is very useful...
http://japanese.about.com/od/japaneselessons/a/wheredoibegin.htm

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.