First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
World War II
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08 , edited 7/8/08

FYI


Enrichment of Uranium

U235 is available in nature only to a limited extent of 0.7% of natural Uranium. To acquire weapons grade U235, Uranium must be enriched to 90%. In order to fuel a bomb, the U-235 must be separated from the more abundant U-238 isotope in a process called enrichment. But because these two uranium isotopes are almost identical chemically, they cannot be readily separated by using a simple chemical reaction. They must be separated by exploiting the slight difference in their weights....

There are several methods developed for this: two are commercial - gaseous diffusion process and the centrifuge process.
USNRC Uranium Enrichment
Uranium Information Center



Little Boy
Considered a gun-type bomb. A disc of uranium 235 is shaped with a center section missing. The center bullet, is place down the barrel from the larger ring mass. A conventional explosive is used to propel the center section into the larger ring section. The two sections then come together forming a critical mass and starting the reaction. The barometric sensor detects the height from the surface of the Earth by measuring air pressure. This allowed the bomb to be exploded above the ground reulting in more damage.



Fat Man
A Beryllium/Polonium mixture, which is radioactive elements that release neutrons, is placed in the center of a sphere. The sphere is made up of equally spaced and shaped plutonium sections. The sphere looked a lot like a soccer ball. When the bomb was detonated, the sphere implodes, or collapses inward, causing all the plutonium to fuse together thus reaching supercritical mass, and starting the chain reaction. The initial explosion, which caused the implosion, was made by conventional explosive placed evenly on the outside of the sphere.

843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
I think the United States were trying to get revenge from when the Japanese bomb Pear Harbor December 6, 1941, the casualties from Pear Harbor and Hiroshima/Nagasaki were nowhere near comparable.
22648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
hmm.... interesting....
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

drascorpion77 wrote:

if u look back it was almost inevitable that japan would lose only the war would be dragged with hundreds of thousands of deaths. funny thing is had japan not surendered after the second bombing U.S. would have been in trouble since it only had two atomic bombs and it would have taken about a year to make a new one.




December 6, 1941The day before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt authorizes the Manhattan Engineering District with $2 billion to build the atom bomb.


July 17, 1944 Important military port in the San Francisco Bay goes up in a horrific explosion killing 323 men, disintegrating two ships and an entire train. Calculations and declassified documents lead to a possible US test firing of a nuclear weapon.

July 16, 1945 Trinity Test at Alamogordo, New Mexico: exploding with a 18,000 Ton TNT equivalence.

August 6 & 9, 1945 Little Boy explodes over Hiroshima killing over 100,000 people. Three days later, Fat Man explodes over Nagasaki killing 75,000. Japan surrenders soon after.

we can now compute how many years to complete the first bomb and testing.
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08 , edited 6/13/08

omgwaffles wrote:

I think the United States were trying to get revenge from when the Japanese bomb Pear Harbor December 6, 1941, the casualties from Pear Harbor and Hiroshima/Nagasaki were nowhere near comparable.



The attack on Pearl Harbor by Naval Air Forces of the Japanese Empire.

The Arizona sank in less than nine minutes after a 1,760 pound armor-piercing bomb struck and pierced the battleship's deck and detonated in its ammunition magazine, igniting fires that engulfed the ship.

Four in five servicemen on the USS Arizona 1,177 in all did not survive the day.

It was the greatest loss of life of any ship in U.S. naval history.

More people died on the Arizona than any other ship as 1,177 servicemen, or about 80% of the Arizona's crew, perished.

The surprise attack which began at 07:55am local time killed 2,390 Americans and injured 1,178.

Twelve ships sank and nine vessels were heavily damaged. Over 320 U.S. aircraft were destroyed or heavily damaged by the time the invading planes were done sweeping over military bases from Wheeler Field to Kaneohe Naval Air Station.

US did a nice timing on making the A Bomb .December 6, 1941The day before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt authorizes the Manhattan Engineering District with $2 billion to build the atom bomb.

But is it justifiable to use the Atomic Bomb?


1126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / somewhere tropical
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
so?
733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
On my opinion it was the Japanese's fault for bombing pearl harbor. If the americans did'nt nuke Japan the war would have continued and a lot more would have died. It's a good thing the japanese changed for the better.
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

langkeekong wrote:

Well, they are fighting in the Philippines and the filipinos are abused by the Japanese


I agree
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

bench2hotty wrote:

On my opinion it was the Japanese's fault for bombing pearl harbor. If the americans did'nt nuke Japan the war would have continued and a lot more would have died. It's a good thing the japanese changed for the better.



It was a war out there so the Japanese wants to win and attacked Pearl Harbor which was strategically located.
13202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
After much debate President Trumen dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima instead of the alternative, sending in Chuck Norris. His reasoning? "It was more humane."
16313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ♪ ♫ ☼ england
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
i saw Enemy at the Gates the other day, mint ass film!!

go Russian Snipers!!
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

Archangel768 wrote:

After much debate President Trumen dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima instead of the alternative, sending in Chuck Norris. His reasoning? "It was more humane."


The desire to be considered clement and not cruel. also to gain respect when he is either a true friend or a downright enemy.-Machiavellian Philosophy
1168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / heyusa
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
many think that the bombing was not necessary to drop the bomb and that America was being unjustified. but i think that (notice the opinion) without the bombing the war would have became bigger and longer. i think that it was wrong that American well mainly Truman and Einstein had planned the bomb on a industrialized city. but the fact was that the American lacked the knowledge to know that the cities that were bomb were cities that were growing industrialized cities. both of them thought that it was a port cities surrounded by solider bases and that was why they chose to bomb those cities. but after hearing that death toll of the civilians living within the area bomb they were sorry(researched the subject in school a while back,it was written in there dairy). but i think that without the bombs there wouldn't be an real end to the war and with Russia coming in to japan it would have been a greater disaster. plus it was not like we didn't warn the Japaneses that if they didn't back down from threaten our bases in southeast Asia and throughout Asia then it was to there extend of the damages that they were going to get. and then the Japaneses decided to go all ballistic on Pearl Harbor. and then that really struck American that this was not just a embargo that we fight against but to make that world safe for democracy. and then American scientist started to construct the bombs in early 1941(i think that's the correct date) and plus the Japaneses didn't have to start a bombing attack on us just because we put an embargo on them because they were threatening our bases. but i think i rant to much already. i wrote an essay n this topic last year in school but here was a piece of it.


Although many lives were taken from the nuclear bombs, in conclusion I believe that the decision to drop the
bomb was not an evil attack; considering that America was active in war, and it has gained its necessity to be used. As a closing phrase, Albert Einstein quoted in his dairy on September 2, 1945 “I made one mistake in my life when I signed that letter to President Roosevelt advocating that the atomic bomb should be built, but perhaps I can be forgiven because we all felt there was a high probability that Germans were working on this problem and would use the atomic bomb to become master race.”
3929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / My body lives in...
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

chaosthao_09 wrote:

many think that the bombing was not necessary to drop the bomb and that America was being unjustified. but i think that (notice the opinion) without the bombing the war would have became bigger and longer. i think that it was wrong that American well mainly Truman and Einstein had planned the bomb on a industrialized city. but the fact was that the American lacked the knowledge to know that the cities that were bomb were cities that were growing industrialized cities. both of them thought that it was a port cities surrounded by solider bases and that was why they chose to bomb those cities. but after hearing that death toll of the civilians living within the area bomb they were sorry(researched the subject in school a while back,it was written in there dairy). but i think that without the bombs there wouldn't be an real end to the war and with Russia coming in to japan it would have been a greater disaster. plus it was not like we didn't warn the Japaneses that if they didn't back down from threaten our bases in southeast Asia and throughout Asia then it was to there extend of the damages that they were going to get. and then the Japaneses decided to go all ballistic on Pearl Harbor. and then that really struck American that this was not just a embargo that we fight against but to make that world safe for democracy. and then American scientist started to construct the bombs in early 1941(i think that's the correct date) and plus the Japaneses didn't have to start a bombing attack on us just because we put an embargo on them because they were threatening our bases. but i think i rant to much already. i wrote an essay n this topic last year in school but here was a piece of it.


Although many lives were taken from the nuclear bombs, in conclusion I believe that the decision to drop the
bomb was not an evil attack; considering that America was active in war, and it has gained its necessity to be used. As a closing phrase, Albert Einstein quoted in his dairy on September 2, 1945 “I made one mistake in my life when I signed that letter to President Roosevelt advocating that the atomic bomb should be built, but perhaps I can be forgiven because we all felt there was a high probability that Germans were working on this problem and would use the atomic bomb to become master race.”



it were the first huge bombs and the lessons were learned but then in that war it was "safer to be feared than loved."
1168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / heyusa
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

chinky_sonny wrote:


chaosthao_09 wrote:

many think that the bombing was not necessary to drop the bomb and that America was being unjustified. but i think that (notice the opinion) without the bombing the war would have became bigger and longer. i think that it was wrong that American well mainly Truman and Einstein had planned the bomb on a industrialized city. but the fact was that the American lacked the knowledge to know that the cities that were bomb were cities that were growing industrialized cities. both of them thought that it was a port cities surrounded by solider bases and that was why they chose to bomb those cities. but after hearing that death toll of the civilians living within the area bomb they were sorry(researched the subject in school a while back,it was written in there dairy). but i think that without the bombs there wouldn't be an real end to the war and with Russia coming in to japan it would have been a greater disaster. plus it was not like we didn't warn the Japaneses that if they didn't back down from threaten our bases in southeast Asia and throughout Asia then it was to there extend of the damages that they were going to get. and then the Japaneses decided to go all ballistic on Pearl Harbor. and then that really struck American that this was not just a embargo that we fight against but to make that world safe for democracy. and then American scientist started to construct the bombs in early 1941(i think that's the correct date) and plus the Japaneses didn't have to start a bombing attack on us just because we put an embargo on them because they were threatening our bases. but i think i rant to much already. i wrote an essay n this topic last year in school but here was a piece of it.


Although many lives were taken from the nuclear bombs, in conclusion I believe that the decision to drop the
bomb was not an evil attack; considering that America was active in war, and it has gained its necessity to be used. As a closing phrase, Albert Einstein quoted in his dairy on September 2, 1945 “I made one mistake in my life when I signed that letter to President Roosevelt advocating that the atomic bomb should be built, but perhaps I can be forgiven because we all felt there was a high probability that Germans were working on this problem and would use the atomic bomb to become master race.”



it were the first huge bombs and the lessons were learned but then in that war it was "safer to be feared than loved."



it was the big war and it wasn't something that a nation can hide from, so i suppose your qupte is right
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.