First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Video Game Actors Don't Get Their Due
80213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/28/08

Makashi wrote:
sorry I ment I would assume that but yeah the people that programe the games dont get any real credit at all
It is sad

949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sweating it here...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
I agree with some of the stuff he says. Humans are becoming more and more involved with videogames and soon most of the large pharagraphs you read in the games will be a thing of the past. Also, the link between the performance of the voice actors adds a lot to the games as a whole especially if the game is story driven. Though i have to agree that it seems like Hollick is asking for more money, the unions should do something about the situation.
Otherwise, we will another incident of horrible voice work from such games as Shining Force Neo and Xenosaga II! I'm pretty sure most of you who played Xeno 2 just wanted to kill whoever did the casting cuz, the crappy voices totally destroyed the otherwise great story. Thank god namco realized this and rehired the old cast for Xeno 3!
80213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

FateT wrote:

I agree with some of the stuff he says. Humans are becoming more and more involved with videogames and soon most of the large pharagraphs you read in the games will be a thing of the past. Also, the link between the performance of the voice actors adds a lot to the games as a whole especially if the game is story driven. Though i have to agree that it seems like Hollick is asking for more money, the unions should do something about the situation.
Otherwise, we will another incident of horrible voice work from such games as Shining Force Neo and Xenosaga II! I'm pretty sure most of you who played Xeno 2 just wanted to kill whoever did the casting cuz, the crappy voices totally destroyed the otherwise great story. Thank god namco realized this and rehired the old cast for Xeno 3!
But in the long run voice actors are such an insignificant part of video games. Why should they be given more money when the developers of the games are given the same? In the end the developers give the character life not the voice actor.

16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
seriously overrated.one of the guys from the LA Times(i think) did a voice-over in GTA:SA on one of the talk shows.If a complete non-professional can do it,whats the big deal?$100,000 is way too much anyway.
199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Minneapolis, Minn...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

anti-freeze wrote:

Thank you Slashdot http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/22/125233 you keep articles short.

Anyway after you have read the article, it is only a paragraph, please post your opinion.

Mine will be hidden to ensure that you are not biased by me


i believe that a lot of the voice actors are slightly undercredited. But then again the voice actor did say that a lot of this has to do with their working union and it does. The voice actors who ARE good though there is a reason why their careers don't simply thrive on video games. The good voice actors actually make their way into movies and tv and they're noticed for it. This guy only got the salary he did because he is a little-known voice actor who has very little credibliity as far as star power goes. I'm pretty sure Samuel L. Jackson got a lot more than a hundred grand for doing Tenpenny in San Andreas.

Now the only thing I really disagree with you on is what you're saying on voice acting in games. Nowadays voice acting is essential for gaming now, it's not just the icing on the cake. Voice acting is what drives a lot of games in being successful, explaining why games often go for high profiled actors to do these voices at times. A lot of gamers would be more than willing to read a bunch of text but to say most gamers is far from the case. The only gaming series that can really still thrive without voice acting nowadays are Mario and Legend of Zelda. Pretty much outside of Nintendo, any game designed for the consoles use voice acting because it is essential for the game's success. A lot of games in the past have suffered a bit simply because the lack of voice acting. Final Fantasy VIII was a big example. The character of Rinoa, while I had no problem with her, a lot of people apparantly did because of the nature of her character. With no voice acting to express her happy free spirited nature, of course some of her character is not going to come across the player and many felt that problem could have been fixed if there had been voice acting.

949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sweating it here...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

anti-freeze wrote:


FateT wrote:

I agree with some of the stuff he says. Humans are becoming more and more involved with videogames and soon most of the large pharagraphs you read in the games will be a thing of the past. Also, the link between the performance of the voice actors adds a lot to the games as a whole especially if the game is story driven. Though i have to agree that it seems like Hollick is asking for more money, the unions should do something about the situation.
Otherwise, we will another incident of horrible voice work from such games as Shining Force Neo and Xenosaga II! I'm pretty sure most of you who played Xeno 2 just wanted to kill whoever did the casting cuz, the crappy voices totally destroyed the otherwise great story. Thank god namco realized this and rehired the old cast for Xeno 3!
But in the long run voice actors are such an insignificant part of video games. Why should they be given more money when the developers of the games are given the same? In the end the developers give the character life not the voice actor.



I would say this is almost like the situation with movies. Whereas some skills and techniques are replaceable some important people cannot. For example, there is a whole world of difference between the director and the guy who does the lighting. Why? Because the director is essentially irreplaceable to the movie as a whole. This is the same thing happening in videogames today, the voice actors are starting to become more exclusive slowly turning into their counterparts, the real actors, and demanding more money for their individual skills.
Also, i disagree with voice actors being an insignificant part in videogames becaues they have become an industry norm for the really good games. I cant think of any AAA games out there within the last year that was just exclusively text. Can you?
26342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Stamford, CT
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
that must suck big time....only $100,000 out of 600,000,000!! that's sad..I believe voices can sometimes make or break a game,
80213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

FateT wrote:
I would say this is almost like the situation with movies. Whereas some skills and techniques are replaceable some important people cannot. For example, there is a whole world of difference between the director and the guy who does the lighting. Why? Because the director is essentially irreplaceable to the movie as a whole. This is the same thing happening in videogames today, the voice actors are starting to become more exclusive slowly turning into their counterparts, the real actors, and demanding more money for their individual skills.
Also, i disagree with voice actors being an insignificant part in videogames becaues they have become an industry norm for the really good games. I cant think of any AAA games out there within the last year that was just exclusively text. Can you?
True, after nearly a decade of voice acting American voice actors are starting to get the hang of voice acting. But they are still not needed. Without them the gaming industry will not go bankrupt. They will just make less money because all of the people who are too lazy to read will go watch a movie. Granted actually being a good voice actor is a rare talent but in the end you can burn through the dialog of a game in a month. Where as it takes years to give a game life.

As for big name games, Pokemon, Advanced Wars, FFIII, Mario Kart DS, Mario Party DS. You are right it is an industry norm. However, that does not boost the voice actors significance. The majority of people who are buying games these days are those who were buying games back in the days of the NES SNES Genesis, Jaguar, Lynx, Master System, pretty much everything up through the 32 bit generation. The lose of voice acting won't be huge to most of us. Annoying but it will not break the industry.


maxphyte wrote:

i believe that a lot of the voice actors are slightly undercredited. But then again the voice actor did say that a lot of this has to do with their working union and it does. The voice actors who ARE good though there is a reason why their careers don't simply thrive on video games. The good voice actors actually make their way into movies and tv and they're noticed for it. This guy only got the salary he did because he is a little-known voice actor who has very little credibliity as far as star power goes. I'm pretty sure Samuel L. Jackson got a lot more than a hundred grand for doing Tenpenny in San Andreas.

Now the only thing I really disagree with you on is what you're saying on voice acting in games. Nowadays voice acting is essential for gaming now, it's not just the icing on the cake. Voice acting is what drives a lot of games in being successful, explaining why games often go for high profiled actors to do these voices at times. A lot of gamers would be more than willing to read a bunch of text but to say most gamers is far from the case. The only gaming series that can really still thrive without voice acting nowadays are Mario and Legend of Zelda. Pretty much outside of Nintendo, any game designed for the consoles use voice acting because it is essential for the game's success. A lot of games in the past have suffered a bit simply because the lack of voice acting. Final Fantasy VIII was a big example. The character of Rinoa, while I had no problem with her, a lot of people apparantly did because of the nature of her character. With no voice acting to express her happy free spirited nature, of course some of her character is not going to come across the player and many felt that problem could have been fixed if there had been voice acting.

Voice acting is icing on the cake, just as 32-bit color is, just as 3-d graphics all of these things are icing on the cake. Voice acting is just a audio aid for the unimaginative and lazy. For your example, FFVIII, there were plenty of hints as to the nature of Rinoa. The way she carried herself, the motions she used to emphasize her emotions, the music that played in the background. These were all hints as to the personality that she had. Voice acting is something that is used to pull in the extra bucks. It is there to reach out to non-gamers. It adds the movie like entertainment value that games of the past did not have. This makes a game more like a movie and people like movies. Without voice acting you lose that little bit of extra character depth. But with out programmers you lose... hmm... well the game. Without voice acting you have a harder time telling that Nicco is from another country. Without programmers a shot to the head is the same as a shot to the foot. Without voice acting you have to pay more attention to the characters body language. Without programming you lose the interface to play the game. You lose very little by not having voice acting. If having voice acting was so incredibly essential that would have appeared first in FFVII and FFVIII. All the characters would have been standing in the same place talking their characters would not express themselves in anyway just stand there like drones until the cut scene was over.

In the end this guy gave Nicco a little bit of depth. But the programmers of the game gave Nicco and the world he existed in life.


2634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/29/08 , edited 5/29/08

anti-freeze wrote:

Thank you Slashdot http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/22/125233 you keep articles short.

Anyway after you have read the article, it is only a paragraph, please post your opinion.

Mine will be hidden to ensure that you are not biased by me


Eh, I like voice acting. Granted I haven't played GTA, but I've seen the commercials and well anyone would feel shafted if they only got 100k from a game that is bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars.

I disagree with reading over hearing. The reading gets strenuous in RPGs and even then its just annoying and gives no depth to the game. Also when you're reading it draws your attention away from what the characters are actually doing.

Its GTA so the owners should have some expectations for how much money they'll make and should pay their workers accordingly. At least thats how I see it.

Think of it as getting a nickel from a hundred dollar bill, you'd be pissed as shit and wonder wtf is going on.

I'm curious as to how much the programmers make.

Also he isn't saying he should get more money than programmers all he said was that they give the character more depth, which is true.

I don't see why everyone is bitching something so trivial. He deserves MORE money because of the company that he worked for. GTA is fucking famous as hell and expected to make this much money so theres no reason they couldn't give the guy a bit more cash. If this was a company making a game that was less famous then he should be paid less.
949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sweating it here...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

anti-freeze wrote:


FateT wrote:
I would say this is almost like the situation with movies. Whereas some skills and techniques are replaceable some important people cannot. For example, there is a whole world of difference between the director and the guy who does the lighting. Why? Because the director is essentially irreplaceable to the movie as a whole. This is the same thing happening in videogames today, the voice actors are starting to become more exclusive slowly turning into their counterparts, the real actors, and demanding more money for their individual skills.
Also, i disagree with voice actors being an insignificant part in videogames becaues they have become an industry norm for the really good games. I cant think of any AAA games out there within the last year that was just exclusively text. Can you?
True, after nearly a decade of voice acting American voice actors are starting to get the hang of voice acting. But they are still not needed. Without them the gaming industry will not go bankrupt. They will just make less money because all of the people who are too lazy to read will go watch a movie. Granted actually being a good voice actor is a rare talent but in the end you can burn through the dialog of a game in a month. Where as it takes years to give a game life.

As for big name games, Pokemon, Advanced Wars, FFIII, Mario Kart DS, Mario Party DS. You are right it is an industry norm. However, that does not boost the voice actors significance. The majority of people who are buying games these days are those who were buying games back in the days of the NES SNES Genesis, Jaguar, Lynx, Master System, pretty much everything up through the 32 bit generation. The lose of voice acting won't be huge to most of us. Annoying but it will not break the industry.


maxphyte wrote:

i believe that a lot of the voice actors are slightly undercredited. But then again the voice actor did say that a lot of this has to do with their working union and it does. The voice actors who ARE good though there is a reason why their careers don't simply thrive on video games. The good voice actors actually make their way into movies and tv and they're noticed for it. This guy only got the salary he did because he is a little-known voice actor who has very little credibliity as far as star power goes. I'm pretty sure Samuel L. Jackson got a lot more than a hundred grand for doing Tenpenny in San Andreas.

Now the only thing I really disagree with you on is what you're saying on voice acting in games. Nowadays voice acting is essential for gaming now, it's not just the icing on the cake. Voice acting is what drives a lot of games in being successful, explaining why games often go for high profiled actors to do these voices at times. A lot of gamers would be more than willing to read a bunch of text but to say most gamers is far from the case. The only gaming series that can really still thrive without voice acting nowadays are Mario and Legend of Zelda. Pretty much outside of Nintendo, any game designed for the consoles use voice acting because it is essential for the game's success. A lot of games in the past have suffered a bit simply because the lack of voice acting. Final Fantasy VIII was a big example. The character of Rinoa, while I had no problem with her, a lot of people apparantly did because of the nature of her character. With no voice acting to express her happy free spirited nature, of course some of her character is not going to come across the player and many felt that problem could have been fixed if there had been voice acting.

Voice acting is icing on the cake, just as 32-bit color is, just as 3-d graphics all of these things are icing on the cake. Voice acting is just a audio aid for the unimaginative and lazy. For your example, FFVIII, there were plenty of hints as to the nature of Rinoa. The way she carried herself, the motions she used to emphasize her emotions, the music that played in the background. These were all hints as to the personality that she had. Voice acting is something that is used to pull in the extra bucks. It is there to reach out to non-gamers. It adds the movie like entertainment value that games of the past did not have. This makes a game more like a movie and people like movies. Without voice acting you lose that little bit of extra character depth. But with out programmers you lose... hmm... well the game. Without voice acting you have a harder time telling that Nicco is from another country. Without programmers a shot to the head is the same as a shot to the foot. Without voice acting you have to pay more attention to the characters body language. Without programming you lose the interface to play the game. You lose very little by not having voice acting. If having voice acting was so incredibly essential that would have appeared first in FFVII and FFVIII. All the characters would have been standing in the same place talking their characters would not express themselves in anyway just stand there like drones until the cut scene was over.

In the end this guy gave Nicco a little bit of depth. But the programmers of the game gave Nicco and the world he existed in life.




The problem is that the voices add to the entire game AS A WHOLE. Your argument is that voice work is like icing on the cake, however that is almost the same debate as not having having color or music in a game is only minor problem. The industry standard have already shifted and any good games without any voice work is usually seen as lazy on the developers part. Such an example is LOZ Twilight Princess. It is a great game but it also disappointed me and many others to not hear any voices in the game, with the exception of link of course. Also, the examples you listed out (for my part of the argument) only consists of portable games and the reason for the lack of voice work on those are because of system limitations. In fact FFIV is already getting voice work in the game.

As for the voice actors themselves not being significant to the games as a whole, what do you really think will happen if another similar medium thought the same way? I use movies again as an example. I mean really, would you really think something as serious as Black Hawk Down or Schindler's List really work if the actors were just some guy they found on the street, or if the movie was silent? Casting is crucial to the movie as a whole, which is to say the same for videogames. Also, where did you get the stats that ppl of your age are all perfectly happy with reading text in games? OR was that just pure conjecture on your part with little evidence to back it up?
80213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/30/08

Incontrovertible wrote:

Eh, I like voice acting. Granted I haven't played GTA, but I've seen the commercials and well anyone would feel shafted if they only got 100k from a game that is bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars.

I disagree with reading over hearing. The reading gets strenuous in RPGs and even then its just annoying and gives no depth to the game. Also when you're reading it draws your attention away from what the characters are actually doing.

Its GTA so the owners should have some expectations for how much money they'll make and should pay their workers accordingly. At least thats how I see it.

Think of it as getting a nickel from a hundred dollar bill, you'd be pissed as shit and wonder wtf is going on.

I'm curious as to how much the programmers make.

Also he isn't saying he should get more money than programmers all he said was that they give the character more depth, which is true.

I don't see why everyone is bitching something so trivial. He deserves MORE money because of the company that he worked for. GTA is fucking famous as hell and expected to make this much money so theres no reason they couldn't give the guy a bit more cash. If this was a company making a game that was less famous then he should be paid less.
Hmm well my question is, what did the guy think? That GTA IV was going to flop? Seriously, GTA is a very well known video game series. Plus he fails to see the benefits of having a big name video game to put on his resume.

True it can get tiring, but that is why you learn to speed read.

Sadly if rockstar paid employees based on how much they think they are going to make off of a game, they would have gone out of business years ago, just like any other business. Plus what about the guy who decided to make the company in the first place?

It really depends but the average Software Developers Salary is generally around $70,000/year to $100,000/year.

By the logic of "He deserves more money because of the company he works for", everyone who works for Microsoft should be making at minimum $500,000/year. Sadly a business cannot expand if you do that, if every company paid employees based how much the company grossed per year, we would not have any big name game franchises. People always want to believe that anyone who is in charge of a corperation is screwing the little people. Second off this guy is using the name of GTA to make it sound like he knows what the is talking about. He would not be saying the same thing if he was making this much for a lesser known franchise, like Shenume or No More Heros.


FateT wrote:

The problem is that the voices add to the entire game AS A WHOLE. Your argument is that voice work is like icing on the cake, however that is almost the same debate as not having having color or music in a game is only minor problem. The industry standard have already shifted and any good games without any voice work is usually seen as lazy on the developers part. Such an example is LOZ Twilight Princess. It is a great game but it also disappointed me and many others to not hear any voices in the game, with the exception of link of course. Also, the examples you listed out (for my part of the argument) only consists of portable games and the reason for the lack of voice work on those are because of system limitations. In fact FFIV is already getting voice work in the game.

As for the voice actors themselves not being significant to the games as a whole, what do you really think will happen if another similar medium thought the same way? I use movies again as an example. I mean really, would you really think something as serious as Black Hawk Down or Schindler's List really work if the actors were just some guy they found on the street, or if the movie was silent? Casting is crucial to the movie as a whole, which is to say the same for videogames. Also, where did you get the stats that ppl of your age are all perfectly happy with reading text in games? OR was that just pure conjecture on your part with little evidence to back it up?
Indeed they add a movie like experience to the game. The same experience that was there in the PSX/N64 era. People always seem to forget that video games made a lot of money back in the day of 2-d graphics Yet back then there were very limited motions and animations, in fact many of the best games are seen as absolute trash because of the fact that they systems they were on were very weak. As for my Examples, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Brothers, Bust a Move. Second you asked me for games with no voice acting that were of a big name.

Voice acting is very different from real acting. In voice acting you are just a voice. In real acting you are the entire character. So in voice acting you can focus all your efforts on making a part sound like a part. Because you do not have to worry about your demanor or your body language. Now while good voice actors can make several voices in the end you just need someone who can make a voice that is what you need.

Also I never said that they would be happy reading only text. I am saying that they would not be as phased by the sudden lose of voice acting in video games as... well lets say a 15 year old would be.

949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Sweating it here...
Offline
Posted 5/30/08

anti-freeze wrote:


Incontrovertible wrote:

Eh, I like voice acting. Granted I haven't played GTA, but I've seen the commercials and well anyone would feel shafted if they only got 100k from a game that is bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars.

I disagree with reading over hearing. The reading gets strenuous in RPGs and even then its just annoying and gives no depth to the game. Also when you're reading it draws your attention away from what the characters are actually doing.

Its GTA so the owners should have some expectations for how much money they'll make and should pay their workers accordingly. At least thats how I see it.

Think of it as getting a nickel from a hundred dollar bill, you'd be pissed as shit and wonder wtf is going on.

I'm curious as to how much the programmers make.

Also he isn't saying he should get more money than programmers all he said was that they give the character more depth, which is true.

I don't see why everyone is bitching something so trivial. He deserves MORE money because of the company that he worked for. GTA is fucking famous as hell and expected to make this much money so theres no reason they couldn't give the guy a bit more cash. If this was a company making a game that was less famous then he should be paid less.
Hmm well my question is, what did the guy think? That GTA IV was going to flop? Seriously, GTA is a very well known video game series. Plus he fails to see the benefits of having a big name video game to put on his resume.

True it can get tiring, but that is why you learn to speed read.

Sadly if rockstar paid employees based on how much they think they are going to make off of a game, they would have gone out of business years ago, just like any other business. Plus what about the guy who decided to make the company in the first place?

It really depends but the average Software Developers Salary is generally around $70,000/year to $100,000/year.

By the logic of "He deserves more money because of the company he works for", everyone who works for Microsoft should be making at minimum $500,000/year. Sadly a business cannot expand if you do that, if every company paid employees based how much the company grossed per year, we would not have any big name game franchises. People always want to believe that anyone who is in charge of a corperation is screwing the little people. Second off this guy is using the name of GTA to make it sound like he knows what the is talking about. He would not be saying the same thing if he was making this much for a lesser known franchise, like Shenume or No More Heros.


FateT wrote:

The problem is that the voices add to the entire game AS A WHOLE. Your argument is that voice work is like icing on the cake, however that is almost the same debate as not having having color or music in a game is only minor problem. The industry standard have already shifted and any good games without any voice work is usually seen as lazy on the developers part. Such an example is LOZ Twilight Princess. It is a great game but it also disappointed me and many others to not hear any voices in the game, with the exception of link of course. Also, the examples you listed out (for my part of the argument) only consists of portable games and the reason for the lack of voice work on those are because of system limitations. In fact FFIV is already getting voice work in the game.

As for the voice actors themselves not being significant to the games as a whole, what do you really think will happen if another similar medium thought the same way? I use movies again as an example. I mean really, would you really think something as serious as Black Hawk Down or Schindler's List really work if the actors were just some guy they found on the street, or if the movie was silent? Casting is crucial to the movie as a whole, which is to say the same for videogames. Also, where did you get the stats that ppl of your age are all perfectly happy with reading text in games? OR was that just pure conjecture on your part with little evidence to back it up?
Indeed they add a movie like experience to the game. The same experience that was there in the PSX/N64 era. People always seem to forget that video games made a lot of money back in the day of 2-d graphics Yet back then there were very limited motions and animations, in fact many of the best games are seen as absolute trash because of the fact that they systems they were on were very weak. As for my Examples, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Brothers, Bust a Move. Second you asked me for games with no voice acting that were of a big name.

Voice acting is very different from real acting. In voice acting you are just a voice. In real acting you are the entire character. So in voice acting you can focus all your efforts on making a part sound like a part. Because you do not have to worry about your demanor or your body language. Now while good voice actors can make several voices in the end you just need someone who can make a voice that is what you need.

Also I never said that they would be happy reading only text. I am saying that they would not be as phased by the sudden lose of voice acting in video games as... well lets say a 15 year old would be.



Yea, sorry on the portable games part. I realize i was unclear.
But anyway, no quite alot of the voice acting nowadays (at least some big name games as far as i know) also require the voice actors to act out the scene as well as their lines. Im not completly sure, but the reason maybe to assist the actor to get more involved in their roles. Such examples can be found in DMC 3. Where the actors were on an actual set doing the motions while acting out their lines. Even in GTAIV they had hollick doing mo-cap work while he was still involved in the making of the game (yea i read the other new articles too). IF the actors were not really as you say in their character, you get horrible voice overs such as can be seen in the Iron Man game. Both the movie and game had Robert Downey Jr, but the game was horrible because he didnt not act like he did while making the movie. Therefore, the voice is not all that you really need.

Also, i must disagree with the loss of voice in the videogame part. It seems quite a lot of people require voice work in games now days, otherwise quite alot of the popular games would most likely omit the voice acting in favour of saving more money. Since techincally you are the target demographic and they are NOT omitting the voice work in videogames it seems safe to assume that at least most your demographic needs the voice acting.

PS: Mario Party 8, and SSB WERE big games. In fact if they didnt do that well they wouldnt have had several sequels, right? As for Bust a Move being crap, it was just most likely that ppl were getting tired of the style of the game since it remain pretty much unchanged ever since it came out.
Posted 6/2/08
I think David Hayter, Steve Blum, and Kirk Thornton are great. As for Japanese VA's, I think Takaya Kuroda is the man. My girlfriend knew I loved the Ryu Ga Gotoku series, and introduced me to more of his work, like Transformers Galaxy force. He totally changed Starscream for me, for the better. I think voice actors should get way more credit than what they get.
80213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 6/2/08

FateT wrote:

Yea, sorry on the portable games part. I realize i was unclear.
But anyway, no quite alot of the voice acting nowadays (at least some big name games as far as i know) also require the voice actors to act out the scene as well as their lines. Im not completly sure, but the reason maybe to assist the actor to get more involved in their roles. Such examples can be found in DMC 3. Where the actors were on an actual set doing the motions while acting out their lines. Even in GTAIV they had hollick doing mo-cap work while he was still involved in the making of the game (yea i read the other new articles too). IF the actors were not really as you say in their character, you get horrible voice overs such as can be seen in the Iron Man game. Both the movie and game had Robert Downey Jr, but the game was horrible because he didnt not act like he did while making the movie. Therefore, the voice is not all that you really need.

Also, i must disagree with the loss of voice in the videogame part. It seems quite a lot of people require voice work in games now days, otherwise quite alot of the popular games would most likely omit the voice acting in favour of saving more money. Since techincally you are the target demographic and they are NOT omitting the voice work in videogames it seems safe to assume that at least most your demographic needs the voice acting.

PS: Mario Party 8, and SSB WERE big games. In fact if they didnt do that well they wouldnt have had several sequels, right? As for Bust a Move being crap, it was just most likely that ppl were getting tired of the style of the game since it remain pretty much unchanged ever since it came out.
Ah yes motion capture the second way to making video game sequences more realistic. And I will admit it still takes a small amount of acting ability to voice act. In the end it is still not enough to make these actors more deserving of royalties than the developers. With voice acting you can get all the acting you need in a month or two, and be done. As where with the actual programming side, it takes years to do that.

I guess in the end I find people who "NEED" voice acting cannot be gamers. At which point I say "SMITE THE VOICE ACTING" we need to get rid of all these posers who claim to be gamers.

Yes mario party and SSB, those are big name games. I would count bust-a-move as well because it is a game that is still coming out after all of these years. Games do not survive for 14 years and not have some level of popularity.
132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/2/08
Ugh, that guy makes me sick. What a diva. No one buys Grand Theft Auto for the voice acting, although GTA:Vice City had a celebrity voice cast (Ray Liotta anyone?). He got his pay, why is he whining? The game's success is in no way due to the voice acting, let alone this guy's voice acting.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.