First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Diverse Cultures Thread
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/6/07 , edited 2/6/07
and yes i know i spelt cultures wrong
in here you talk about different aspects of your culture (assuming not everyone lives in a North American or European country) and background like if your religion has any special holidays or country/city/province or what not has any special holidays,interesting physical features and just about anything because I have been studying different countries lately and I am quite curious about different countries.

I am quite boring more a less. I am Christian i celebrate the holidays that just about every American does. Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July you name it. The only interesting around where i live are the mountains that surround us and all the hiking trails which i doubt half of the people in my state use due to the fact our malls are crowded and hiking trails bare. The best thing about my town is has lots of money flowing around so its hard not to find a job anyone else like to share? If you are gonna come in here and be a douche and flame this forum or say your religion is best or make fun of peoples religions or culture then best not post.
killar 
69283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/6/07
Fixed the name for ya.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/6/07
thank you
Posted 2/6/07
I'm an American mutt. I was raised in
California (beach culture, tacos shops, baja lobster, desert winds (santa anna), and driving everywhere (even driving to experience cold weather in the mountains).
I spent half of my summers growing up in Texas (fireworks, roaches, A/C or bust, mosquitos, learning all the Texan slogans and songs)
and the other half in Michigan (fishing, hiking, boating, taverns, farmer's markets, deer, trees, ticks, viewing Canadian geese as the scourge of the Earth).
I've been a city slicker for a couple of years on Manhattan ( being jaded about pretty much everything, from celebrities to diversity to human compassion, anonymity as a stranger among strangers, social justice and the evils of The Man, obeying traffic law as a sign of weakness, seriously considering yourself as the center of the universe, humor so dark it warps satire and causes nearby knock-knock jokes to keel over dead)
I only have a year and a half left before I continue on my journey.
367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / desk drawer
Offline
Posted 2/6/07
i reject culture and substitute my own.

there are no meaningful celebrations in australia.

ever since our prime minister (john howard) rejected 'sorry day', the day where we reconcile and stuff with the aboriginies events like those are pretty stale.

i mean seriously, thousands of people on the harbour bridge, everyone leaving work and shit, excellent family thing. and the PM just had to ruin it.
now without full support of the gov for so many years relations are pretty shit.

it was one of the few chances where the people could actually stand together for something nice and meaningful. but for the gov. to support other things like ANZAC day (this war thing in galllipoli if you don't know) and still have the bitterness over aboriginies, is a very hypocritical existence. even from a purely marketing perspective, he could've given his support just for the hell of it.

anyway not much traditions in aus since it's a relatively young country,
unlike japan where they have some fun things
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 2/6/07
My grandmother is from a time when some parts of Scotland didn't acknowledge the existence of Christmas and it became a tradition in her family, so we don't celebrate Christmas (at home in England) on 25 December.

We get presents and do celebrations over the Hogmanay period (lasts a week, ending on 2 or 3 Jan).
13298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 2/6/07
im Korean born in a hospital not in Korea. i really don't like celebrating any holiday so i wouldn't care about cultures. don't dis Korea.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/7/07

catex wrote:

My grandmother is from a time when some parts of Scotland didn't acknowledge the existence of Christmas and it became a tradition in her family, so we don't celebrate Christmas (at home in England) on 25 December.

We get presents and do celebrations over the Hogmanay period (lasts a week, ending on 2 or 3 Jan).

There is always an equivalent for every holiday not saying one is better than another but that is a cool holiday i have never heard of it before is it a holiday that is common or uncommon to be celebrated anywhere in the UK?


Posted 2/7/07
Im from finland, but ive only lived in Finland for a little while. Used to live in Amsterdam (the NEtherlands) and copenhagen (denmark). Im very much a city person, which makes it kinda hard in finland since the cities arent that big
Im proud of my country and all, but there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think about moving hehe, I think finnish people are kinda boring (myself included)

We are a quiet people, dont talk much, when we do, its pretty much monotone... Especially compared to our swedish neighbours (im generalizing here, so doesnt count for the entire population). No small talk or that kinda stuff. Ice hockey is important, and sweden is the enemy hehe

As for celebrations, lets see... other than christmas theres our independance day, 6th december and this thing called 'Vappu' in late april where we light bonfires, eat good food and kids kinda go trick or treating dressed up as witches.
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 2/7/07

Tetsuo wrote:


catex wrote:

My grandmother is from a time when some parts of Scotland didn't acknowledge the existence of Christmas and it became a tradition in her family, so we don't celebrate Christmas (at home in England) on 25 December.

We get presents and do celebrations over the Hogmanay period (lasts a week, ending on 2 or 3 Jan).


There is always an equivalent for every holiday not saying one is better than another but that is a cool holiday i have never heard of it before is it a holiday that is common or uncommon to be celebrated anywhere in the UK?
Hogmanay is common in Scotland and among Scottish families in England and Wales. More info can be found in this web page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A10358165
453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Japantown, San Fr...
Offline
Posted 2/7/07
Im irish and my mom and i are pagan and my dad is christan. So my mom and i celebratie the celtic pagan celebrations while when im with my dad we celebrate christmas.
3751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Where ever theres...
Offline
Posted 2/7/07
My dad half chinese and filipinno and my mom is full Filipino, My parents chose to be a more filipino culture. My dad's last name used to be Chong but instead he switched it to his mothers maiden name Poblete.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/7/07

Trivium wrote:

Im from finland, but ive only lived in Finland for a little while. Used to live in Amsterdam (the NEtherlands) and copenhagen (denmark). Im very much a city person, which makes it kinda hard in finland since the cities arent that big
Im proud of my country and all, but there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think about moving hehe, I think finnish people are kinda boring (myself included)

We are a quiet people, dont talk much, when we do, its pretty much monotone... Especially compared to our swedish neighbours (im generalizing here, so doesnt count for the entire population). No small talk or that kinda stuff. Ice hockey is important, and sweden is the enemy hehe

As for celebrations, lets see... other than christmas theres our independance day, 6th december and this thing called 'Vappu' in late april where we light bonfires, eat good food and kids kinda go trick or treating dressed up as witches.


My ancestors where from France but they left to escape religious persecution and they moved to the Netherlands which is why my favorite country and i am very interested in learning the Dutch language. But later on i think the time before WW1 or after WW1 my ancestors left from the Netherlands to America as immigrants.

1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/7/07

Freedan wrote:

Being Italian, we have our own celebrations. In my family, at least, we also celebrate some American holidays too because we're basically half American thanks to my dad's side. We do the usual stuff, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, you name it. But we also have some typical Italian holidays and I'm gonna name a few.

Ferragosto comes to mind and it takes place in the 15th of August. Ferragosto is derived from the Latin word Feriae Augusti. August being the hottest month of the year, we eventually reasoned that the middle of the month, the 15th, would be the hottest day. The holiday dates back to ancient times, and its significance was the celebration of the end of the main agricultural activities.When this happened, the workers and farmers would offer their best wishes to their landlords/masters, who would in turn reward them with food (nice reward given that that's the food the farmers themselves had made lol). This tradition was kept up even until tuday in Rome, such that during the renaissance, it had been made mandatory to carry out the tradition.

We also celebrate the day the three kings came to see Jesus, one week after Christmas or so. Everyone would know this by the name of the Epiphany. You could almost consider this a "second" Christmas, although you don't really get presents. Perhaps you do, but only second-rate ones. It's mostly for the children and they get a lot of candy and stuff on that day. I know they don't do this in America (at least I don't think they do) but they certainly don't do it in any other place I've been to.


I wish i had the Ferragosto that sounds very close to a Mexican fiesta if i read correctly is it not?
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/7/07
a feast lots of people lots of food big celebration with friends and family dancing...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.