First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Uncontroled Spam in the chats, whats your Opinion?
28673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Michigan, USA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

gunblastergun wrote:
One other thing I dont like is how chat mods are treated like bastard kids of mods, I mean why have chat mods at all if any mod can kick or ban, hell I say forum mods stick to forums media mods stick to media and chat mods stick to chat. Cause if your gonna call forum mods forum mods they should only have powers in the forum, also chat mods should have equal number of mods and say in voting for new chat mods. Because I see the chat mods more than I see half of the media mods.

This going to sound ragingly bitchy, and "unfair" to some of you, but it's the harsh honest truth, and guess what? That's what you have to deal with.

Chatmods were hired (or not really hired, considering no one is paid) because that's the job we needed them to do, and the job we felt they had the skills and abilities to do. Chat modding is a constant activity. Whereas forum modding and media modding are not. After I lock 2-3 threads, I have at least 10-15 minutes to wait before I can move them to closed, or if the forum is slow one day I can go approve videos. Chat modding is a different "kind of beast" as they would say. If you look away from the chat for merely 5 minutes, you could completely miss a bout of flaming and/or spamming.

What really gets me, is that none of this is about "POWER" okay? If you're a mod just so you can push people around, then leave, because chances are, you're an ass. This about helping out the site and making it better place, and if people are going to cry over the fact they're being "left out" of the "power" that doesn't show us much maturity. How about instead, you PROVE to us that you deserve such things and have the knowledge/skills? Show us you can do you're job well and efficiently without complaining, and we'll think "Wow these people are amazing!", not "Oh geez what's wrong now?". Of course if someone has an issue, bring it up, like lack of chatmods, etc. That's important, but don't complain about not having enough power. People are given access and powers based on whether we think they will use what's given to them maturely, appropriately, and in a trustworthy manner. If we don't feel they will, then why in the world we we risk trouble happening because of it? I'm a mod because I love knowing I contribute to a site that's 10x bigger than myself. That something I do, makes the site a better and more enjoyable place for hundreds of people. I think if you're a mod that's what you need to have an appreciation for, not the fact you get to be "special".

EDIT: I realize all of that sounds like I don't appreciate Chatmods or what they do, but that's not true in the least. They do an important job that deserves recognition just like the rest of us. That's why they're on the staff page, and people can PM the questions concerning the chat etc. It just bothers me that people think "power" is the most important part of modding and it's not =(. Our "powers" are just our tools, not toys or rewards =/.
35491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
@s_j_b
Yeah I've seen how you forum/media mods mod in the chat room wonder how many times you've idled because of it.

I can deal with a little spam its just as i pointed out jay119 was spamming for at least 6 minutes before even getting kicked, then he came back in spammed some more, kicked, came back in spammed , kicked and ban, i think that was the right number of times he came back in not sure.

I admit defeat on the mod part and what they do, but I still believe we need more chat mods, and chat mods should be the only one voting for chat mods cause they are the chat regulars themselves, just like uploaders because media mods, and forum mods well.....don't really know how you'd become a forum mod, maybe through a few mods saying this person should me a mod or u get voted in from being a media mod or chat mod for so long. I saw the new media mods and some of them barely had any uploads when some of the other people running had 300+ plus uploads, spare time and better experience. (I don't want to get into the media mod voting I'm just using this as an example of why mods should be only able to vote for mods of their own kind, forum mods vote on forum mods, media mods vote on media mods, chat mods vote for chat mods.)

Shinji should worry more about keeping older members then newer members because I can point out 50 new members without badges and 30 old members with badges. hell did you know some people don't pay for their badges like me, people give them to us, so if you are worried about not getting enough money then help the people that support crunchyroll and don't the non-supporters
(little off topic so lets go back to the topic on hand about the spam)

To stop spam, we need more mods, to get more mods we need someone to tell shinji "We need to solve the chat problem" then give shinji a list of ideas on how to choose to fix the problem. Because I'm not the only one not liking the chat as it is. Here ill list some for you

1.Let the three current chat mods each pick two new chat mods that way there will be 9 chat mods, thats about one for each room little excessive but they cant be on all the time now can they

2.Have another mod applying thread for chat mods. make a list of the top 6 chat mods, regulars, and make them a mod.

3.clearly state the rules before entering a chat, like have it redirect you to a page before you may enter the chat that says if you spam or what ever you will get kicked and banned, no warnings needed cause you will have agreed and spamers and idiots can be baned first time.

4.Have a schedule which has each mod being forced into the chat at that certain time of the day, and any spamming will be blamed on the mod and will let the mod be kicked and replaced. This sets up a no afk for mods which is better in a way think about it we have 24 mods and their are 24 hours in a day, I know there are some times mods cant be in at that time for certain reasons but if we got a few more mods we could have fill ins which would protect the chat 24/7, also making the mod not able to leave unless the next mod shows up for his/her hour of modding.
66185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

4.Have a schedule which has each mod being forced into the chat at that certain time of the day, and any spamming will be blamed on the mod and will let the mod be kicked and replaced. This sets up a no afk for mods which is better in a way think about it we have 24 mods and their are 24 hours in a day, I know there are some times mods cant be in at that time for certain reasons but if we got a few more mods we could have fill ins which would protect the chat 24/7, also making the mod not able to leave unless the next mod shows up for his/her hour of modding.


Are you serious?
If this was a chat site then yes. But it's not.

Personally i think forum and media mods should get to vote too. You obviously don't realise how much we do. It's not a simple case of sections; it's often as if the mods run this site.

8715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
Being forced? Hell no. That's waaaaaaaaaaaay not right, mods volunteer to do their jobs whenever they wish. They get nothing but a star, HQ videos and that's it. Mods still need to maintain jobs, go to school, and have some personal time as well. Forcing them will make them all quit and the end. I won't even attempt to sign up if that happens.
35491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
@doomaid
I see you in the chat all the time, but i rarely see you talk in public. So why is it you are telling me about how important power is, forums are different than chats, chats are fast and high speed chatting were as in forums you can go back and edit what you say, you can lock a forum unlock it hell you can do almost anything you want with it. It just power doesn't matter for forums because in forum you can say, hey this is off topic lock it, you cant do that with a chat, the guy comes back on with a new user name and spams some more. The main goal of spamming in forums is either to annoy the mods or for fun, but the number cause of spam in chatrooms is because of noobs going "lol" with there little fragmenting sentences. Think about how much faster a chat is than a forum and then think about whats most important to a chat, power, cause if one person spams, he'll come back and back, here in the forum you need 500 points to start a topic? so they cant just come running in and go HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
every 5 seconds.
28673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Michigan, USA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
Forum mods are chosen exactly as the media mods were. Applications, discussion by current mods, shinji reviews final selection, announcement.

1. All mods should get a say in voting, that's how it's always been, unfortunately I realize chatmods did not get to vote in the selecting of the new media mods, and thinking back on it I regret that, but I think all mods should get a vote on who we bring into our team as a whole.

2. Applications are kind of tedious, but are important. It's a good idea minus that fact that just because you're a regular, doesn't mean you'd be great at the job. It is an important factor though. You need to know how the chats work and the people in there.

3. Spamming is an obvious "no". Having the chat rules forced under there nose won't do much i don't think. The people who it would work with, stop spamming after the first warning a mod gives, the rest don't care and never will.

4. Schedules are impossible, and unfair for a voluntary position. Some days you have time to mod 2 hours, some days 4, and some days zero. It just wouldn't work. Having fill-in mods would be hard also, because while more mods will make things easier, it also makes some things harder. Like keeping track of ban/warnings lists, discussions on problems/issues that arise in the chat. If 20 people are posting about those things as oppose to 5-10, it's going to be much harder for everyone to communicate.


gunblastergun wrote:

@doomaid
I see you in the chat all the time, but i rarely see you talk in public. So why is it you are telling me about how important power is, forums are different than chats, chats are fast and high speed chatting were as in forums you can go back and edit what you say, you can lock a forum unlock it hell you can do almost anything you want with it. It just power doesn't matter for forums because in forum you can say, hey this is off topic lock it, you cant do that with a chat, the guy comes back on with a new user name and spams some more. The main goal of spamming in forums is either to annoy the mods or for fun, but the number cause of spam in chatrooms is because of noobs going "lol" with there little fragmenting sentences. Think about how much faster a chat is than a forum and then think about whats most important to a chat, power, cause if one person spams, he'll come back and back, here in the forum you need 500 points to start a topic? so they cant just come running in and go HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
every 5 seconds.

I understand that, but kick commands and ban commands are still just tools. They are the tools they use to control the spam, just like locking threads is one of my tools. I said that chat is a "different kind of beast" because it's constant. That's why I appreciate what the chat mods do. Every modding job is stressful at times.

I don't really understand the point of your post, I'm just saying being a mod shouldn't be about pushing people around, or how much you get to be in some "special circle of modding".
10900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / no code to escape...
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
^That isn't actually anything new...they get ban lose all the CR points they've gain and make a new CR acc just spam and become a retard fool. Spamming is nothing new....They would also spam their own gb's just gain cr points.

Spamming is just to draw attention...

Seriously this is nothing new to CR.
35491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
@s_j_b
That was just one of the ideas, it doesn't have to be exactly like that hell you could even let it up modded for an hour or so and let them spam for fun, we could call it happy hour. And i did suggest fill ins, and more mods.

The Problem with the chats right now is not about the power of the mod its about the number of the mod. If you got at least 3/6 more chat mods who are chat regulars, hell I know some people that have memorized the rules by heart and aren't chat mods.
1197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

s_j_b wrote:

@gun
The chat isn't a 2 year olds playground ...


y'


Well it had me fooled!

107168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
I cannot believe that you, gunblastergun would be so deeply absorbed into publicizing this 'NEED FOR MORE CHAT MODERATORS' slogan because there is 'TOO MUCH SPAM'. As I recall, you have broken many rules in the past as well--so you know how much effort it truly takes for one to overcome their bad habits of unknowingly spamming, short-phrase typing, and/or cussing/flaming whatever. I'm not accusing you of any SERIOUS wrong doing, because hell, we all make mistakes.

And for you to re-post the rules and argue that they are being broken because of a lack of chat mods is just ridiculous. No matter how many chat mods we recruit, there will always be a 10 minute period where no chat mod is on... maybe 5 seconds... maybe 1 minute.. maybe 30 minutes. Fuck, we are human.

Media mods, forum mods, and chat mods are human beings. Are we robots? No. Don't give me any bullshit statements like, "Oh what about BasouKazuma? He's a fucking robot." No. He needed a break so he took one. We are human beings. Cut us some damn slack. 1 chat mod. 3 chat mods. 5 chat mods. 30 chat mods. There will be times where spamming occurs and goes unseen. Honestly, does sitting in a room with 5 minute spamming give you heart attacks? Do you start foaming at the mouth and claim that you cannot live any longer? I don't believe so. If spamming just really bothers you that much, look to the bottom right corner, click "Channel", type something, and leave.

On a lighter note: Chat moderators will probably be added sometime soon. How about we all step back, breathe a little, and calm the heck down. Shinji has other things to deal with right now, and guess what? The main purpose of this site is not for the chat function.

________________________________________________________


EDIT: Chat mod schedules are pointless. All moderator 'jobs' are voluntary. We don't have to post our entire life schedules for everyone to compile and make shifts for us accordingly. Also, I sit in chat rooms for what? I'm not getting paid. Take away my badge, I will still do it. I don't even have TIME to watch anything on here anyways. People who are in chat rooms KNOW I sit in there ACTIVELY modding for 6-7 hours at a time. I wanted to help out the CR community when I applied to be a mod, and that is what I'm doing.
1235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

lolz
35491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
@doomaid
Its not about pushing people around its about keeping them in order, straight lines my friend straight lines, haven't you ever seen ants working, they all follow each other very important. I love to have chats and have fun but their are only 7/9 CR rooms where you can go to see friends that just logged in, but so can the spammers its not like CR has a download where you can have something like skype or YIM or AIM cause if we did we wouldnt be worrying about spam and more on real problems.
14663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / California
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

Do0mAid wrote:

Having fill-in mods would be hard also, because while more mods will make things easier, it also makes some things harder. Like keeping track of ban/warnings lists, discussions on problems/issues that arise in the chat. If 20 people are posting about those things as oppose to 5-10, it's going to be much harder for everyone to communicate.


well, how about shinji alphabetizes the chatroom user list and when two mods are in the room, one can take care of a-m while the other watches n-z. At the end of their shift or moderation period, they could post a report on the moderators forum and a chat mod manager, like a head chat moderator can sift through the reports and decide on what action to take after a majority vote.
28673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Michigan, USA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
So gunblastergun, the whole point of this thread is just to tell us you think we need more mods -_-? You could have just PMed some mods with that, not to mention we're already discussing it. Also, if the chatmods need help they can tell us themselves.


soldev wrote:


Do0mAid wrote:

Having fill-in mods would be hard also, because while more mods will make things easier, it also makes some things harder. Like keeping track of ban/warnings lists, discussions on problems/issues that arise in the chat. If 20 people are posting about those things as oppose to 5-10, it's going to be much harder for everyone to communicate.


well, how about shinji alphabetizes the chatroom user list and when two mods are in the room, one can take care of a-m while the other watches n-z. At the end of their shift or moderation period, they could post a report on the moderators forum and a chat mod manager, like a head chat moderator can sift through the reports and decide on what action to take after a majority vote.

What action to take, like punishment wise?? That would take forever @_@?! To collect votes from 20 chat mods, on one users punishment would take like 2 days at the least. It's just not practical.

1459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / some CRAPPY place...
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
you want to be mod are you?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.