First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Grammar and courtesy on the internet.
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
I've done a search and skimmed through the forum and found no thread regarding this, forgive me if I overlooked some thing. Also, by posting this, I am in no way trying to start an argument, so please don't post unless you have some thing decent to say.

While on forums I've noticed that not very many people use proper grammar. All I see nowadays are exclamation points and capital letters in the middle of words. Sure; its fine to misspell things, I do it all the time, but when you go into a forum and all you see is 'OMG dis is so cool, i luv dat shOw!!!11', don't you get even the slightest bit annoyed?
I realize this post is kind of coming from a personal standpoint on my end, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets turned off of even going on forums just because of the way people talk on them. I just wanted to hear others thoughts and opinions, as I've had quite a decent conversation on some other forums when I brought this up. Not to mention this is an extended discussion forum, so one or two word answers really are not going to cut it.

Which brings me to another thing; courtesy. Hate wars, flame wars, and flat out arguments over the internet are just plain stupid. Every one has their own opinion, which needs to be respected. I see so much hate around here, so please try to keep it out of this topic.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this subject =]
11704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
lol to be honest it doesnt phase me one bit. i enjoy readin it, it brings mroe fun to grammar sorta. it would be anoyying reading it in a book or seeing people write like that on tests at skool, but on the computer it doesnt bug me one bittttttt
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
True, but honestly, I feel that when people use bad grammar or punctuation on the internet, it makes them look like an idiot. I mean, the way you're typing is fine, but when some one starts going off like this;
"OMG!!! tHis iS one Of tHe beSt thIngs eVAR!!11"
That's where I draw the line. Haha.
908 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
It hurts to see bad grammar on the net. The English language is being desecrated, and it's a truly sad sight ;_;... I feel your pain, honestly. I'd much prefer if people typed correctly, but most people don't.

Of course, that could be the English major in me talking.
11704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

rokujinshou wrote:

True, but honestly, I feel that when people use bad grammar or punctuation on the internet, it makes them look like an idiot. I mean, the way you're typing is fine, but when some one starts going off like this;
"OMG!!! tHis iS one Of tHe beSt thIngs eVAR!!11"
That's where I draw the line. Haha.



L0l Eye Kno wat ya Me3n!!!!!!
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

Nessarose wrote:
It hurts to see bad grammar on the net. The English language is being desecrated, and it's a truly sad sight ;_;... I feel your pain, honestly. I'd much prefer if people typed correctly, but most people don't.

Of course, that could be the English major in me talking.

Oh thank you, some one who agrees. I swear, it just gets worse every time I step into forums. You've got the people who type with the best grammar in the world, the people who type decently with minor grammar problems, and then the crowd that just can not type for the life of them. Its so hard to understand people when they don't capitalize and punctuate too, you know?

Ahh. I just wish it didn't happen so often, maybe I would frequent more forums if people learned how to type an extra key stroke =[


Katorulez93 wrote:
L0l Eye Kno wat ya Me3n!!!!!!

Exactly that. Try reading through paragraphs of that kind of typing and actually understanding it. I just don't have the patience, and it hurts my eyes.
908 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
And then they get pissed when you ask them to type so you can understand, it's a never ending cycle. I can only imagine wit will continue until the English language is replaced by Internetglish.
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
Or they get pissed off when no one likes them, or finds them to be stupid, but yet they refuse to change what-so-ever any way. So many people use internet talk in real life nowadays, honestly I wouldn't be surprised. Its just goes to show how downhill our society is going.
16241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/29/08 , edited 5/29/08

Katorulez93 wrote:


rokujinshou wrote:

True, but honestly, I feel that when people use bad grammar or punctuation on the internet, it makes them look like an idiot. I mean, the way you're typing is fine, but when some one starts going off like this;
"OMG!!! tHis iS one Of tHe beSt thIngs eVAR!!11"
That's where I draw the line. Haha.



L0l Eye Kno wat ya Me3n!!!!!!


*sighs* you're just like your example though Katorulez....Lol...not that extreme but...eh I don't think you have a say on people's grammar/spelling

Example:

Katorulez93
at least you had mroe self control this time. i did not start the flaming on hokiepokie. i simply asked him why does it matter to use correct grammar on the inernet. he was trying to insult my friend kenshin922 so i backed him up asking hokie a simple question. Hokiepokie thne responded with his immature response. i still did not flame him. r u blind or cant read everything so well? I dont ignroe annoyance, when someone annoys me i simply tell them in hope they stop. you have given no proof yet you say you have. also if the majority of the world was for gays and as you said majority of north america then how come there are so many riots on the news saying no gay marriages, california has san fransicso which is one of the most gay populated places in north america, thats why california most likely passed gay marriages acceptable. of course one city isnt the only reason tho. Anyways saying the majority is for gays is common sense is just stupid since on the news it rarely says something thats positive for gays. ive backed up my opinion plenty of times while you just write something and say yuor right. byt he way thats anoyying. my opinion and belifs might be ignorant to you but like ive said to others, they agree with me 100%. go ahead and respond with yet another immature pointless post
(one example)

anyways...

its only natural to get annoyed at such things, but its really annoying when people know they have such a problem but does nothing to improve it or to correct it. Sure everyone have grammar errors; but at least correct your "2 out of 10 words typos". Its nearly impossible to have perfect grammar in the English language, after all, its changing slowly >_<; what may be a grammar error to someone may not be for another.

and as a side opinion, I find it SUPER amusing when someone have grammar/spelling errors to point out the flaws in another person x_X its so irony.
11704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 5/29/08

Omok wrote:


Katorulez93 wrote:


rokujinshou wrote:

True, but honestly, I feel that when people use bad grammar or punctuation on the internet, it makes them look like an idiot. I mean, the way you're typing is fine, but when some one starts going off like this;
"OMG!!! tHis iS one Of tHe beSt thIngs eVAR!!11"
That's where I draw the line. Haha.



L0l Eye Kno wat ya Me3n!!!!!!


*sighs* you're just like your example though Katorulez....Lol...


dont you ever go away? ive never typed like that and the fact you think i do makes me laugh
Posted 5/29/08 , edited 5/29/08
Yeah, well indeed, it is annoying. But I do have to admit that my English isn't really that good, because it is not my mother tongue, so I might have some slight grammar problems when I post something, but I am giving my best to make it comprehensible for everyone.

But I must say that sometimes I am very surprised when I see Americans, and Brits who have a worse grammar than I. O_o I wonder what they are doing at school..seriously.

But then again it isn't really that surprising, CR is full of kids who are under the age of 18, and there are also a lot of people here that don't have english as their native language. So I don't really make a big fuss out of it, but annoying are the ones who use this weird short cuts, which takes me more time to type out than if I would write the correct word. I wonder why they are wasting so much time on writing something 'lik dis cuz its awesomeez'
>.>

Floetry~
28563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
77 / ~wherever sarcasm...
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
It maybe annoying, but we can't do anything about that...
If we quote what they just typed to correct their mistakes then this may lead to another problem which was stated in your first post... the argument or forum war
most likely, this people would quote what you just said again and again which leads to some stupid and nonsense argument

to be annoyed by these people will not bring me any good anyways....
so, I just tend to keep cool and ignore it, but sometimes when I'm really full about their style of typing
I'd usually go to another section and post there[to get rid of that annoying sight ]
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
I ignore it entirely, but I really can't stand to have conversations with people who can't type coherent sentences, it bugs the crap out of me. That's why I usually don't post in forums, or I try to find a way to have convos with people who I can actually understand.

In no way would I ever quote some one and fix their mistakes. That's just ridiculous, I mean, if it is to provide an example like Omok did, that's fine, but if you nitpick every persons posts that is taking it too far. Like I said, I just ignore it. If I can't understand some one I wont reply to them, or I'll just kind of comment on the fact that I can't comprehend what they're trying to say to me because their sentences make no freaking sense.


MidnightZorya wrote:
Yeah, well indeed, it is annoying. But I do have to admit that my English isn't really that good, because it is not my mother tongue, so I might have some slight grammar problems when I post something, but I am giving my best to make it comprehensible for everyone.

You're grammar is fine, I'm mainly pointing out how some times people will type with symbols and all kinds of nonsense that just doesn't need to be there. I think you have good English, especially with it not being your native tongue =]
6072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / the 650
Offline
Posted 5/29/08
Well it only really annoys when i know that person lives in the USA and speaks fluent English. But still, there are some kids in Asia that type LiKe ThIs YoU KnOw? I also noticed that that's how many Filipino girls type haha. Not being racist cuz I'm Filipino as well and a lot of the girls i know text and type like that which annoys the hell out of me >.<
2711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 5/30/08
i don't think that grammar is not that big of an issue except during English classes... i think as long as people understand what you mean it's okay...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.