First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Grammar and courtesy on the internet.
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Irvine, CA
Offline
Posted 5/30/08
I do not really find proper grammar to be an absolute necessity on forums, though it's nice to have it. It's much easier reading something that is coherent and well thought out rather than something with syntax errors. I try to type with as much grammatical accuracy as possible as I would sincerely like for other people to be able to read my posts without having to gouge out their eyes.
A word of advice to anyone that cares though: this is a forum, not a chatroom. Trying to correct simple things like grammar and eliminating shorthand phrases such as "u" or "ur" are really easy to do and do not take that long. In a forum where you have time to type out a post that you can edit, something like trying to make your thoughts appear more structured is a necessity for contribution.
Honestly, I'm not too affected by people's overpopulated mistakes, but it's nice to read posts that do not look extremely sloppy.
5384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ふぃりぴん!
Offline
Posted 5/30/08 , edited 5/30/08

rokujinshou wrote:

I've done a search and skimmed through the forum and found no thread regarding this, forgive me if I overlooked some thing. Also, by posting this, I am in no way trying to start an argument, so please don't post unless you have some thing decent to say.

While on forums I've noticed that not very many people use proper grammar. All I see nowadays are exclamation points and capital letters in the middle of words. Sure; its fine to misspell things, I do it all the time, but when you go into a forum and all you see is 'OMG dis is so cool, i luv dat shOw!!!11', don't you get even the slightest bit annoyed?
I realize this post is kind of coming from a personal standpoint on my end, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets turned off of even going on forums just because of the way people talk on them. I just wanted to hear others thoughts and opinions, as I've had quite a decent conversation on some other forums when I brought this up. Not to mention this is an extended discussion forum, so one or two word answers really are not going to cut it.

Which brings me to another thing; courtesy. Hate wars, flame wars, and flat out arguments over the internet are just plain stupid. Every one has their own opinion, which needs to be respected. I see so much hate around here, so please try to keep it out of this topic.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this subject =]



For this generation, i think it's common for the youth for abbreviate the words and even shorten them. Saying through text: "H3y w4zzup m3n???!!" and something like that. It's like their confidence valve, trying to be in with the current trend and at the same time look and sound funky, young and vibrant. So, here in Crunchyroll, we have some teenagers and even kids who belong in this kind of generation. I, being a 14 years old teenager, understands how we communicate with each other, being formal or not. English is not really my type, but I'm kinda annoyed when some words are grammatically incorrect, whether they mean it or not. Yes, it's not really compulsory to type and speak correct English on the Internet, but for some reasons, we need to properly address what we want to say, what we mean, and what we feel. It's like, talking to some elders or something. And also, practicing oneself for the grammatically correct way of speaking English is preparation for being a respected. intellectual person. But this is one fact i know, people have the right to peacefully convey their messages.

This is from my own perspective. Please don't take it seriously.

I'm just 14 lol

Posted 5/30/08
Sometimes I wonder whether they're purposely making their posts incomprehensible to piss us off.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 5/30/08
Some of the posts here in CR make me tear my hair in frustration. I mean,it's just a few extra keystrokes! Plus, netlish sounds completely stupid.
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/30/08 , edited 5/30/08
Wow, so many responses since I went to bed last night, haha.
I'll be sure to reply to all of you later, as I really appreciate the fact that you're actually responding to this. Right now though I need to get ready to go some where.

Thanks guys =]
7711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 5/30/08
yeah..^_^ you're definitely right....
i observed that too...

but hey you forgot to include the perspective wherein all of us are raised differently from each other....
our words reflect who we are.....
what we prefer to say reflects what reaction we wanna get..right?

though a lot have commented that proper grammar isn't necessarily needed on the forums part as long as it is coherent.......i can't subdue their idea of that....
but hey...isn't grammar all about coherence and unity?
if they usually misspelled certain words there is a high possibility that the meaning of it will somehow alter...
though at not all....that is......

also....people don't observe proper grammar much since they are way to excited answering the forum...that they type fast and everything.......
seldom, they don't even recheck it.....which makes it worse...
hmmm.......
whatever society will say about this.....
i fully denote that proper grammar is an essential need into everything we do(writing, chatting, talking, replying into forums......etc......)........since by doing this so.......we also learn!
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/30/08 , edited 5/30/08

music190 wrote:

Grammer Nazi's just to need to get the fuck over it and move on. If you're that annoyed by the way people talk over the Internet, then go get you're selfs a Grammer HItler and throw everybody who uses annoying in a Concentration Camp.


Nice exaggeration. From that attitude, it seems we could turn it around on you and say, "Grammar Nazi Nazis just need to get over the fact that people care about grammar. If you're that annoyed by the fact that people care about something so important in our lives, then just throw everyone who does in a concentration camp."

Anyway, while language does undergo natural, harmless changes, there is a point where it becomes harmful. What is the necessity (or even the benefit, barring the limited convenience of omitting a letter here and there) of this grotesque form of English? If we made a list of the pros and cons of each--sticking with what's correct and messing it all up--I think we'd find that the former is of much greater utility.

If you're one of those people who truly know grammar and spelling well but intentionally mangle it online, I'm a bit more sympathetic; however, you must keep in mind that you're perpetuating a system that will replace the correct one for those still learning. It is quite easy to mess up proper language development in a child when he has access to forms of communication in which others are spewing jargon.

My feelings on courtesy are similar, though I think people need to be more thick-skinned and just deal with the fact that others don't have to like them nor conform to their standards of decency. On the internet, one generally has the option of avoiding or ignoring the offending party.
3824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / atlantis
Offline
Posted 5/30/08
i think one of the reasons for the lack of punctuation and spelling mistakes in forums is the advancement of spell checking in word documents. now if i was to type thsi in a wrod document, then the autocorrect would've automatically spell checked the two typos [thsi(this) and wrod(word)]. since i'm so used to having word correct minor errors like that, i kinda just got lazy and leave it as they are. but i get what you say about the grammar and the whole [email protected] 1iK3 7hi$....does annoy me, but in some cases you just have to accept that people are lazy, not english speaking or just plain retarded...
5137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAA...
Offline
Posted 5/30/08
you don't lik 1337 spek
Posted 5/30/08
I think it's funny sometimes because they're usually careless mistakes. I don't think people care too much because it's not like it's English class. I save my proper grammer for English.
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/31/08

LyricalDarkness wrote:
So, my point is that sometimes we just act in accordant to our mood. You know, there are times when we just basically "snap". Otherwise, flame is just another cowardly act of immature users who dislike loses and wanted to appear as "tough", which included me, I suppose. As you may have already noticed, most flames come from users who are below 21 years of age. No one likes to be flamed, but as social network users, we all know that it's inevitable. We just have to learn to deal with it in someway, and just ignore the flames is one good way, in my opinion, although I might not be the appropriate one to say that

You know, I've definitely got to agree with you there. Most of the time I try to be as nice and courteous as possible on the internet, because honestly, if one person doesn't atleast try to change some thing, you'll only be met with negative response. But every one has those days where one little thing will set you off, although, a lot of times the person on the receiving end of the flame deserves it any way. As long as you're not cursing them off or being immature, it doesn't really matter, in my opinion.


nipponboy911 wrote:
Well it only really annoys when i know that person lives in the USA and speaks fluent English. But still, there are some kids in Asia that type LiKe ThIs YoU KnOw? I also noticed that that's how many Filipino girls type haha. Not being racist cuz I'm Filipino as well and a lot of the girls i know text and type like that which annoys the hell out of me >.<

The way people type with random capitals in their letters is what really sets me off. Its so hard to read, and it annoys the heck out of me too, haha =[


h4x0rz wrote:
Some of the posts here in CR make me tear my hair in frustration. I mean,it's just a few extra keystrokes! Plus, netlish sounds completely stupid.

Which brings me to one of my main points; talking in 'internet lingo' or 'netish' as you called it, makes you sound like an idiot. I mean, 'lol' and 'brb' are fine, but you're right, it is just a few extra keystrokes. Some times I wonder why people even type weirdly, because some ways I've seen actually take longer than typing out the words correctly. I guess it all comes down to a matter of how some one is brought up, or the generation they are from, because some people just don't care if they sound stupid.


number1sculler wrote:
i think one of the reasons for the lack of punctuation and spelling mistakes in forums is the advancement of spell checking in word documents. now if i was to type thsi in a wrod document, then the autocorrect would've automatically spell checked the two typos [thsi(this) and wrod(word)]. since i'm so used to having word correct minor errors like that, i kinda just got lazy and leave it as they are. but i get what you say about the grammar and the whole [email protected] 1iK3 7hi$....does annoy me, but in some cases you just have to accept that people are lazy, not english speaking or just plain retarded...

I do accept it, that's for sure, by posting this topic in the first place I only had the intention of possibly meeting people who felt the same way, and who I could converse with without having to read through all that '1337 speak'.
Firefox has a built in spell check, just to let you know. It is actually a pretty handy little tool =]
Posted 5/31/08
Notice how "HeLlO i aM vErY hApPy!" takes way longer to type than "Hello, I am very happy"?
855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / 港区
Offline
Posted 5/31/08
It definitely does, which I why I don't understand why people can't just type normally.
14946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / UNITED KINGDOM!!....
Offline
Posted 5/31/08
it doesnt really bother me how other people on the net speaks

but expressing your opinion about things is good.!!

grammar and courtesy is really important!!

i'll always keep that in mind!!
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/31/08

Milia_ wrote:

i think as long as people understand what you mean it's okay...


I agree. However, in order for us to understand each other, we need a unified, consistent system, which is why our new electronic lingo is troublesome.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.