First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
American intelligence
868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Fields of Fum, CA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
some say that America is intellectually inferior to Europe in particular. it has been said that this is due to educational establishments in middle America giving passes when their math is at an elementary level or they are practically illiterate. others say it is due to the large immigrant population in and around large cities bringing down the overall average .
I came upon this info through discussion and interviews I have see on the news. I personally do not believe any of these reasons are accurate. In fact I believe that even though their high school system is better, our college system is leaps and bounds ahead of any other country.
1269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

BOSSManPretty wrote:

some say that America is intellectually inferior to Europe in particular. it has been said that this is due to educational establishments in middle America giving passes when their math is at an elementary level or they are practically illiterate. others say it is due to the large immigrant population in and around large cities bringing down the overall average .
I came upon this info through discussion and interviews I have see on the news. I personally do not believe any of these reasons are accurate. In fact I believe that even though their high school system is better, our college system is leaps and bounds ahead of any other country.


It's rather hard to say really, there are fifty states with there own standards of education, you really can't say it's all the same everywhere. But in my opinion, it's rather horrible, you have Americans who can't pin point there own country on a map.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
In my personal opinion, america's biggest problem is it's education system.

Our public education system (K-12) is terrible. Kids are graduating barely able to read. Science and technology isn't emphasized enough. They have half baked view of history and the world itself as well. I also think foreign language should be taught much earlier. 2 years of a foreign language won't cut it in this day and age, when we really are in a true global market.

The education quality on the college level is fantastic. There is a reason people come from all over the world to attend college here. The problem is the access to it. It's basically price gouging at this point in my opinion, and it's more a matter of your financial background than it is your academic performance that dictates where you can go now a days. But on the other hand, this huge flow of cash does help the overall quality of education.

So we have people graduating high school with a lackluster education who don't go to college because they can't afford it. Yeah, that's an ideal population for a democracy.

Outside of the US the public education systems are great (in developed nations), but their colleges tend to be a little lackluster when compared to our cream of the crop. But on the other hand more people have access to those colleges, so it has it's advantages.

Personally I find it absurd that we've poured so much money into a pointless war, but we're indifferent about our education system.

We need to do some serious and effective public education reform and find ways to curb the cost of education.
6468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
Hmmmm I live in seattle (The smartest city in the US google "smartest city") so i guess i dun see america as stupid, but i see how we could get portrayed as that *cough* bush *cough* texas, missisippi, alabama *COUGH* ugh sorry about that. Though even in seattle our education system isnt that good, we have huge class sizes and are way underfunded. Though ive gone to good schools and had good teachers so far. I also agree that we have put way to much money into war ($1.6 trillion) and education is in desperate need of money.

Another problem is that we are so self centered we refuse to look at other nations for examples to follow, we just assume that they are worse than us. We need to learn humility.
709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / hell wisconsin
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
I think it's the educational system but isn't this pretty similar to like 3 other topics right now?
868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Fields of Fum, CA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
i must say, i agree with what you say. It has been proven that the earlier you learn a language the easier it is to master. matter of fact i let this german girl live with for me a while and she told me about the educational system back home and how she has studied english since the age of 6.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
71 / M / Space junkyard
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
This has been done before.
691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
boss, i have went to may differ schools. From what i saw, i say it is really depends on the teachers. A lots of teachers doesn't know how to teach. Some are good and i learned from them. So the intelligent should be about how they think and responded.

oh yeah, i had many bad teachers. They made school boring.
868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Fields of Fum, CA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
and thusly they should be stepped on.
1264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Classified inform...
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
face it most americans are stupid take George Bush for example....
868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Fields of Fum, CA
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

devilisiious wrote:

face it most americans are stupid take George Bush for example....


i find your statement crass and unfounded.
1264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Classified inform...
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

BOSSManPretty wrote:


devilisiious wrote:

face it most americans are stupid take George Bush for example....


i find your statement crass and unfounded.


gah watever

Posted 11/17/07
Our educational system does have alot of mishaps that it need to work on especially here in Minnesota the school are too damn concerned with their ratings in the Comprehensive assesment that control their funding we have student going into higher grade with less knowledge then they should have, for example most kids know say division within the third or fourth grade, well here a lot of student haven't learned that basic skill until the sixth. Another problem being that all the funding goes to the teacher's paycheck instead of the nessesary for lack of a better word equipment for students.
3635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Johor, Malaysia
Offline
Posted 11/17/07
yeah they DUMB Americans + Israel = bunch of dumb rats.
They only knows destroy,chaos and rape. Just yer wait for the time,when I joined the war kill these dumbs with my own hand.A word to you AMERISRAEL = dumb.
1264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Classified inform...
Offline
Posted 11/17/07

masterluc90 wrote:

yeah they DUMB Americans + Israel = bunch of dumb rats.
They only knows destroy,chaos and rape. Just yer wait for the time,when I joined the war kill these dumbs with my own hand.A word to you AMERISRAEL = dumb.


omg dude i totally agree with u
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.