First  Prev  137  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  148  149  Next  Last
Sex Scenes in Anime? Agree or Not?
456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 2/10/13
If its a realistic drama then I'm okay with it. Sex is a very big, real part of life but I must say that I've never watched a series with a sex scene as its usually implied not shown. Usually the reprecussions and effect of having sex can be worked into the story without needing to show it.
mipegg 
18396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Online
Posted 2/10/13

hpulley wrote:


mipegg wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:


mipegg wrote:

Inspite of the fact nothing was shown and it wasnt sexy in the slightest?


I think others would disagree with you. I know for a fact, some people were complaining that they didn't see enough. When they saw the graphic for the episode showing Maria and Saki kissing, they were saying "whohooo!" So, that counts as fan service, in my book.


Yes, and thats not the point in the series where that scene happens. It happens much after that and isn't fan service at all


And others claimed that seeing yaoi / yuri at all turned them off from the series and they dropped it then and there... which I don't understand at all but you can't please everyone all the time.

Edit: the quoting was weird, I hope the quotes have the right names attached now.


I dont understand why its so different with anime tbh, sex is a part of life and plays a pretty important roll in relationships and general events in real life. It's well established in film and TV, in some games its used to great effect (specifically in properly mature games like the witcher), so why is anime so different? Admittedly if its just dumb, in your face and totally worthless throw away scenes for titilation and nothing else I get that, but if its shown as a strong part of character progression and handled well why shouldnt it have a place.

Major-ish spoiler:

15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 2/10/13

Goomoonryong wrote:

If its a realistic drama then I'm okay with it. Sex is a very big, real part of life but I must say that I've never watched a series with a sex scene as its usually implied not shown. Usually the reprecussions and effect of having sex can be worked into the story without needing to show it.


Clannad: After Story immediately came to mind when Nigisa announces to her parents, "We have sex and sex makes babies!"
47551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 2/10/13 , edited 2/10/13

mipegg wrote:


hpulley wrote:


mipegg wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:


mipegg wrote:

Inspite of the fact nothing was shown and it wasnt sexy in the slightest?


I think others would disagree with you. I know for a fact, some people were complaining that they didn't see enough. When they saw the graphic for the episode showing Maria and Saki kissing, they were saying "whohooo!" So, that counts as fan service, in my book.


Yes, and thats not the point in the series where that scene happens. It happens much after that and isn't fan service at all


And others claimed that seeing yaoi / yuri at all turned them off from the series and they dropped it then and there... which I don't understand at all but you can't please everyone all the time.

Edit: the quoting was weird, I hope the quotes have the right names attached now.


I dont understand why its so different with anime tbh, sex is a part of life and plays a pretty important roll in relationships and general events in real life. It's well established in film and TV, in some games its used to great effect (specifically in properly mature games like the witcher), so why is anime so different? Admittedly if its just dumb, in your face and totally worthless throw away scenes for titilation and nothing else I get that, but if its shown as a strong part of character progression and handled well why shouldnt it have a place.

Major-ish spoiler:



Agreed, sometimes I think the anime I watch is a bit risque but then I think, how is this worse than Girls, Game of Thrones, Californication, Nurse Jackie, Dexter et al on HBO or Showtime? And the answer is: no worse, probably tamer.

And to your spoiler...

mipegg 
18396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Online
Posted 2/10/13 , edited 2/10/13


Its entirely a matter of context, theres an absurd amount of sex and nudity in game of thrones but it makes sense in a gritty pseudo-realistic (its going for the real vibe, ignore the magic and such) fantasy genre. The Witcher series of games are very similar in their adult/mature approach to every day taboos, even going into fairly dark territories of infanticide and such, why can these shows/games get away with it? Context, they handle things in a mature, appropriate manner and benifit from it. We just need a mature anime to do the same thing, baccano! could have had the potential to go into those realms but it enver quite made it.

And to your spoiler



47551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 2/10/13 , edited 2/10/13

mipegg wrote:



Its entirely a matter of context, theres an absurd amount of sex and nudity in game of thrones but it makes sense in a gritty pseudo-realistic (its going for the real vibe, ignore the magic and such) fantasy genre. The Witcher series of games are very similar in their adult/mature approach to every day taboos, even going into fairly dark territories of infanticide and such, why can these shows/games get away with it? Context, they handle things in a mature, appropriate manner and benifit from it. We just need a mature anime to do the same thing, baccano! could have had the potential to go into those realms but it enver quite made it.

And to your spoiler





I don't think you can put a show on HBO or Showtime without sex these days.

Anime with sex, even very ecchi doesn't generally sell very well. Nipples are not enough anymore...

To the spoiler...

mipegg 
18396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Online
Posted 2/10/13

hpulley wrote:


mipegg wrote:



Its entirely a matter of context, theres an absurd amount of sex and nudity in game of thrones but it makes sense in a gritty pseudo-realistic (its going for the real vibe, ignore the magic and such) fantasy genre. The Witcher series of games are very similar in their adult/mature approach to every day taboos, even going into fairly dark territories of infanticide and such, why can these shows/games get away with it? Context, they handle things in a mature, appropriate manner and benifit from it. We just need a mature anime to do the same thing, baccano! could have had the potential to go into those realms but it enver quite made it.

And to your spoiler





I don't think you can put a show on HBO or Showtime without sex these days.

Anime with sex, even very ecchi doesn't generally sell very well. Nipples are not enough anymore...

To the spoiler...



Erm... Im sure theres something on there that doesnt have sex in it. We dont get that many HBO shows over here and I pretty much dont watch TV, anime and video game tournaments are about it for me.



47551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 2/10/13
Crying during sex is very common in manga. Seems odd to me but happens in seemingly normal manga sex. I would be asking if they were alright ...

Natsuyuki Rendezvous is the only jousei I have watched or read. It only had ghost interrupted sex...

Comical sex in My Little Monster would be fun LOL
2266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/10/13
AS a means to convey two characters personal relationship sure anything other then that is either fan service or just put it with hentai.
Posted 2/10/13
you won't find me arguing against it.
1374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/10/13
umm for me personally its okay if its between a guy and a girl..;;
but yaoi? or yuri?
..
.
i prefer not;
16774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17
Offline
Posted 2/10/13

leolachante wrote:

Also, is a series counted as a hentai if it just has sex scenes or what? Because there could be great anime out there that happen to have sex scenes, but those things are not the main plot. They are just a tool for the plot. Like tv shows that are rated MA. Just wondering, because what I've seen people going by is any sex in an anime = anime being hentai.


Hentai is more like animated porn rather than just sex in animation. Though, I couldn't name a single anime off the top of my head which isn't hentai that featured explicit sex, I know several in which sex is implied and somewhat shown.
2743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 2/10/13
Depends on the situation.
8876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 2/11/13

MountainMew wrote:


leolachante wrote:

Also, is a series counted as a hentai if it just has sex scenes or what? Because there could be great anime out there that happen to have sex scenes, but those things are not the main plot. They are just a tool for the plot. Like tv shows that are rated MA. Just wondering, because what I've seen people going by is any sex in an anime = anime being hentai.


Hentai is more like animated porn rather than just sex in animation. Though, I couldn't name a single anime off the top of my head which isn't hentai that featured explicit sex, I know several in which sex is implied and somewhat shown.


That's what I would think. Thank you for clearing that up, though.
25302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 2/11/13
It's fine if they're there, they don't bother me at all.
Sex is present, even in the anime world, it's not like it's nonexistent, so if there's sex scenes in a non hentai anime, so be it.
First  Prev  137  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  148  149  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.