First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Music Class 1B
Deputy Headmistress
9823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
aceeasi Londra
Offline
Posted 6/7/08 , edited 12/16/08
Member
6004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / land! sea! placesss
Offline
Posted 6/10/08
hello sensei!
Posted 6/11/08
hello sensei! what's our lesson for today?
Posted 6/12/08
Hello to the both of you and welcome to...

LA's Music Class 1B!! :D





I'm your teacher here, my name is Jessica, u can call me Jessica, Jess, ice, teacher or whatever makes you feel comfortable. But anyways, let's get the show on the road.


here's me :P

Music... let's start with the first question, "what is music?" the web definition for music is simply "a bunch of tones arranged together to create a sound/melody soothing to the ear." But music is actually considered a "universal language" this is very true because although we can't understand different languages, we can understand music, and by understanding, i don't mean listening to the music and telling me which period it was composed in, who composed it, why that person composed and what are the components of that piece of music. I simply mean to listen to it and hear the emotions being played out. To play music, emotion is a very important and essential element you should have in you. You don't have to, but your music would come out more impressive and affective on people if you put all your feelings into it and feel the music being played out. When we talk about music being a "universal language" it means that everyone can understand it. When sad music is being played out, you can feel that the person playing is sad, or if it's happy, then the performer is happy on the inside. Music has a lot of emotions, happy, sad, angry, depressed, desperate...etc. so although we cannot understand other people's languages, music is something we can understand, it's a link that connects the world together.


Music being a Universal Language

Now, personally, i think music is way too broad of a topic, since we go from Baroque, to Classical to Romantic to 20th Century and to what we have now, Rock, Pop, Rap, music in different languages...etc. Then we have our different instruments which create the beautiful melodies we hear, and then we have out theory, all the notes and components that makes our music. All these added together is a lot of stuff! Since i don't know what u guys have already learned, tell me how far are you into the world of music, because i don't want to teach a bunch of things all of you already know. That would be very boring. But for the sake of anyone who doesn't know anything, i'll quickly go over some concepts and if you still don't get it, just ask. Remember, asking questions is the best way to help you learn! :P

First of all, music notes, there are tons of them out there!! So get ready, but let's also get familiar with the clef signs:

treble clef: and bass clef:

then we start from the basics first, there are 32nd notes, 16th notes, 8th notes quarter notes, half notes and whole notes, notice they are all doubles of each other, 32 is the double of 16, and 16 is the double of 8...etc.
here's how they look like as notes.
32nd: 3 tails

16th: 2 tails

8th: 1 tail

quarter note: no tail

half note: hollowed center

and whole note: hollowed center and no stem

and with the notes, comes the rests, they are basically the same thing, the same numbers, 32nd, 16th, 8th, quarter...etc. here's how they look like

32nd

16th:

8th:

quarter rest:

half rest:

and a whole rest:

After notes, comes all the instruments, which are divided into 4 categories:(not all listed instruments are shown in the pictures)
The Strings family:
which includes the violin, viola, cello, double bass, harp, lute, guitar...etc.

The Woodwind family:
which includes, the flute, piccolo, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, contra-bassoon, english horn, saxophone...etc

The Brass family:
which includes the trumpet, cornett, french horn, trombone, bass trombone, tuba...etc

and the Percussion family:
which is divided into two sections, pitched and unpitched.
the pitched section includes, timpani, xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, celesta, glockenspiel, tubular bells, antique cymbals and the unpitched section includes the snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, gong and the tambourine.

A lot of these instruments might sound unfamiliar and that's very normal because some of them are very old and ancient instruments.

That's it for now!! This is pretty much the end of the review. If u still have questions about this, ask me and i'll try to answer it the best way i can. I'll go into more complicated matters of music once everyone understands the concepts. That's all for today!
Member
924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Underworld
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
Can i know how to play the Guitar?? O.o
Posted 6/16/08

mimi9516 wrote:

Can i know how to play the Guitar?? O.o


well, i guess so... i don't really play the guitar but i can try and teach you. but it would be a little hard because learning instruments usually need demonstration... but i'll try my best.:D first, how much experience do you have in playing?
Member
924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Underworld
Offline
Posted 6/16/08

icekrystal06 wrote:


mimi9516 wrote:

Can i know how to play the Guitar?? O.o


well, i guess so... i don't really play the guitar but i can try and teach you. but it would be a little hard because learning instruments usually need demonstration... but i'll try my best.:D first, how much experience do you have in playing?


Erm... actually i dun really play the guitar cause i have no lesson for Guitar
Posted 6/16/08

mimi9516 wrote:


icekrystal06 wrote:


mimi9516 wrote:

Can i know how to play the Guitar?? O.o


well, i guess so... i don't really play the guitar but i can try and teach you. but it would be a little hard because learning instruments usually need demonstration... but i'll try my best.:D first, how much experience do you have in playing?


Erm... actually i dun really play the guitar cause i have no lesson for Guitar


i see... Do u have a guitar though? Because if u don't, then i can't really teach u since i can't show u how to do anything. but if u do, i'd say it's better to actually take real classes, it'd be much better than having me teach u since i'm not a professional.
Member
924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Underworld
Offline
Posted 6/16/08

icekrystal06 wrote:


mimi9516 wrote:


icekrystal06 wrote:


mimi9516 wrote:

Can i know how to play the Guitar?? O.o


well, i guess so... i don't really play the guitar but i can try and teach you. but it would be a little hard because learning instruments usually need demonstration... but i'll try my best.:D first, how much experience do you have in playing?


Erm... actually i dun really play the guitar cause i have no lesson for Guitar


i see... Do u have a guitar though? Because if u don't, then i can't really teach u since i can't show u how to do anything. but if u do, i'd say it's better to actually take real classes, it'd be much better than having me teach u since i'm not a professional. :D


Well i dun have a guitar so i think i will have some real classes... Anyway thank you =)
Posted 6/16/08
your welcome ^_^ good luck if ur going to take real classes!
Member
3039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 7/5/08
ermm i applied for 1A but since there's 1B can i be in this class to? XD
re intro.. haha
i play the clarinet, recorder and piano..
and i would like to try and learn playing the flute and trumpet/cornet =D
Posted 7/7/08

Jade_994 wrote:

ermm i applied for 1A but since there's 1B can i be in this class to? XD
re intro.. haha
i play the clarinet, recorder and piano..
and i would like to try and learn playing the flute and trumpet/cornet =D


lol, yup yup! music 1A is full so u can attend 1B instead. I'm ur sensei,i see u play the clarinet, recorder and piano. I play piano too, i don't play the clarinet tho, but i do play the flute, so i can teach u that, what would u like to learn first?
Member
3039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 7/12/08

icekrystal06 wrote:


Jade_994 wrote:

ermm i applied for 1A but since there's 1B can i be in this class to? XD
re intro.. haha
i play the clarinet, recorder and piano..
and i would like to try and learn playing the flute and trumpet/cornet =D


lol, yup yup! music 1A is full so u can attend 1B instead. I'm ur sensei,i see u play the clarinet, recorder and piano. I play piano too, i don't play the clarinet tho, but i do play the flute, so i can teach u that, what would u like to learn first?


i would like to learn but i'll wait long long to touch one -.- haha..
becuz my band doesn't allow different section touching each other instruments XD
Posted 7/13/08

Jade_994 wrote:


icekrystal06 wrote:


Jade_994 wrote:

ermm i applied for 1A but since there's 1B can i be in this class to? XD
re intro.. haha
i play the clarinet, recorder and piano..
and i would like to try and learn playing the flute and trumpet/cornet =D


lol, yup yup! music 1A is full so u can attend 1B instead. I'm ur sensei,i see u play the clarinet, recorder and piano. I play piano too, i don't play the clarinet tho, but i do play the flute, so i can teach u that, what would u like to learn first?


i would like to learn but i'll wait long long to touch one -.- haha..
becuz my band doesn't allow different section touching each other instruments XD


are u kidding? ur band at school or for extracurriculars? wow, you guys can't even touch each other's instruments? that sux, but i do have to say this, it's better to learn an instrument when u have one and is able to practice on it, but, if u want to learn this way, it's fine by me. ^.^
Member
3039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 7/15/08 , edited 7/15/08

icekrystal06 wrote:


Jade_994 wrote:


icekrystal06 wrote:


Jade_994 wrote:

ermm i applied for 1A but since there's 1B can i be in this class to? XD
re intro.. haha
i play the clarinet, recorder and piano..
and i would like to try and learn playing the flute and trumpet/cornet =D


lol, yup yup! music 1A is full so u can attend 1B instead. I'm ur sensei,i see u play the clarinet, recorder and piano. I play piano too, i don't play the clarinet tho, but i do play the flute, so i can teach u that, what would u like to learn first?


i would like to learn but i'll wait long long to touch one -.- haha..
becuz my band doesn't allow different section touching each other instruments XD


are u kidding? ur band at school or for extracurriculars? wow, you guys can't even touch each other's instruments? that sux, but i do have to say this, it's better to learn an instrument when u have one and is able to practice on it, but, if u want to learn this way, it's fine by me. ^.^


haha my bands is at school.. i just find playing flute is nice.. the sound is so sweet ^^
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.