Created by cryolyger
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Is it wierd / wrong to listen to secular music?
Moderator
14744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / FL. But, I (May...
Offline
Posted 6/12/08

RivrStyx wrote:


Secular music is better than christian music because it breaks barriers, it is always changing and Christian music is always struggling to keep up (plus a lot of it is theologically unsound).

.


Well I will give you the backward music masking thing comment. As I aways thouth persons who heard things in music played backward a little nuts. But, I disare on Christian music struggling to keep up (keep up with what?). Have listen to some of the modern Christian music latly. One I like is 'I want to set the world of fire (as setting the world on fire with the sprite of GOD. I may be a old man by your standards, but that does not mean I the only Christan music I like is out of a church book. Oh and I like Toby Mac in "I am GOD". Can I get up now.....
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 6/12/08

Secular music is better than christian music
Choose your words carefully, that's dangerous grounds your walking on my friend. Music that glorify's the Lord Himself, is secondary in your standards? blesphemous if you ask me. Now I am not without my own faults, but if music was created to worship God and you dismiss so half-heartedly I would question what I just wrote.

while I don't question your logic behind what you say I would question the authenticity of wikipedia and such. Now while I don't condone much of what you say I understand why you feel that way. However, even if it makes you "feel" good, who the hell cares if it hinders your walk. Music does INFLUENCE us whether we realize it or not, and like a pastor once told me, we don't eat vegitables cause we like it, we don't goto classes we hate cause we enjoy them, we don't read the bible because we "feel like it" we do these things because they are good for us and in the case of the bible good for our walk, refrain from outside influences. Only each individual knows there walk in Christ, and know how much they can take now if a song makes me feel a certain way and I like it, but I question rather or not I should be listening to it, I choose the road less traveled. If your heart and mind agree then its a wise choice. I choose for the most part to listen to music without such secular connections, I couldn't care less about drugs or money. But bands such as feist or cat power, they do not invoke any question of morality to them. I like to think that romance is not dead and I have a strong incling to listen to music that is not just morally upright but one that would share the same values as me.

I do not wish to attack you comrade, merely, to say I think your misinformed. Each individual has strengths and weakness' in their walk and if you can play an M rated game and not be influenced by you great, but that same person, might listen to music that disrupts his walk. If clarification is needed pm me, this isn't the place for questioning morality so I will stop here.

Cry
Member
747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/12/08

Ratman21 wrote:


RivrStyx wrote:


Secular music is better than christian music because it breaks barriers, it is always changing and Christian music is always struggling to keep up (plus a lot of it is theologically unsound).

.


Well I will give you the backward music masking thing comment. As I aways thouth persons who heard things in music played backward a little nuts. But, I disare on Christian music struggling to keep up (keep up with what?). Have listen to some of the modern Christian music latly. One I like is 'I want to set the world of fire (as setting the world on fire with the sprite of GOD. I may be a old man by your standards, but that does not mean I the only Christan music I like is out of a church book. Oh and I like Toby Mac in "I am GOD". Can I get up now.....


Christian music is often struggling to keep up with what's popular. One of the most popular genres of today's music is Indie (Independant) music. a musician signes with a small recording studio and therefore is not as popular but has very devoted fans. There is not a lot of Christian music that breaks boundaries. Granted, there are a few (e.g. Switchfoot) that end up changing the way Christian music is seen but a lot of the Christian music that isn't very popular is genres like Christian Rap, Christian R&B, Christian classical (possible?? )... anyway, there is some good Christian music out there and as a musician I like to stay on top of music as it changes, but I find that a lot of secular music really speaks into everyone's lives because a lot of it deals with issues that everyone faces, not just Christians and that's sort of what I want to do with my music. I want to follow Switchfoot and U2's footsteps to break down the barriers between "Christian" and "Secular" music. It can be done and I hope to be one who does... but that's only if it's God's will... if not then I dont know what I will do with my life
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
Ok in hindsight i will have to concur with you in the aspect that christian music doesn't have the same impact as secular, but I still am weary that you should never forget the reason for its creation.
Member
747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/12/08

cryolyger wrote:


Secular music is better than christian music
Choose your words carefully, that's dangerous grounds your walking on my friend. Music that glorify's the Lord Himself, is secondary in your standards? blesphemous if you ask me. Now I am not without my own faults, but if music was created to worship God and you dismiss so half-heartedly I would question what I just wrote.

while I don't question your logic behind what you say I would question the authenticity of wikipedia and such. Now while I don't condone much of what you say I understand why you feel that way. However, even if it makes you "feel" good, who the hell cares if it hinders your walk. Music does INFLUENCE us whether we realize it or not, and like a pastor once told me, we don't eat vegitables cause we like it, we don't goto classes we hate cause we enjoy them, we don't read the bible because we "feel like it" we do these things because they are good for us and in the case of the bible good for our walk, refrain from outside influences. Only each individual knows there walk in Christ, and know how much they can take now if a song makes me feel a certain way and I like it, but I question rather or not I should be listening to it, I choose the road less traveled. If your heart and mind agree then its a wise choice. I choose for the most part to listen to music without such secular connections, I couldn't care less about drugs or money. But bands such as feist or cat power, they do not invoke any question of morality to them. I like to think that romance is not dead and I have a strong incling to listen to music that is not just morally upright but one that would share the same values as me.

I do not wish to attack you comrade, merely, to say I think your misinformed. Each individual has strengths and weakness' in their walk and if you can play an M rated game and not be influenced by you great, but that same person, might listen to music that disrupts his walk. If clarification is needed pm me, this isn't the place for questioning morality so I will stop here.

Cry


music that glorifies God is good, music that is theologically unsound is not.
example: :
"Trading My Sorrows" - Darrell Evans

I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

Chorus:
And we say yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned
Struck down but not destroyed
I'm blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure
And his joy's gonna be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning

very popular song. I've played it many times. However, we should not "trade in" or "lay down" our baggage (sorrows shame sickness pain etc.) but give them wholey to the Lord. Theologically speaking, we need to offer up our "baggage" to God and let hime take it, only then will we be filled with the Joy of the Lord. Also Joy alone cannot be our strength. it takes a lot of courage, dedication, prayer and commitment to be strong in the Lord (trust me, I know).

Good points: it does, however have some of my favorite lines as well: "I am pressed but not crushed, persecuted, not abandoned" That is strong theology. So this song is a mix of good and bad theology, which is why I have a problem with it. Theologically sound music is good but not necessarily excellent. music as a whole is one of the best forms of art in the world. But is a genre of music isn't set firmly enough it will be uprooted and tossed in the compost. A lot of Christian songs need that to happen to them, which is partly why I still love hymns. They're old but they're very theologically sound.
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
ok, I get what your saying here, but you got to understand the meaning of a word changes based on perception of it. I can see the sky and be like hey thats blue, while another thinks its more of a royal blue. The definition of a word should be defined by the one using it. And I have heard the expression time and time again to trade in or lay down our burdens, its a sign of submission to the lord not how you percieve it I believe. Alot of writers try to write and appeal to the general masses they relate more potentially with certain words, and I believe that was the author's intent. Writing a story and writing a song have some generalities that must be considered, audience, flow, context. To equally address them all is almost impossible, or a very daunting task. So we right what comes to our minds. I don't see any theologically flawed view spewing from this passage. But I am in agreement, hymns had alot more power and depth behind them, and they were backed usually by the word of God within the song. But alas, such things are not popular these days.
Member
747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
I know how hard it is to write a song so I can understand what you're saying. It's hard to understand a song unless you research it (and the internet is nowhere near as reliable as we all want it to be). Theology is one thing I dont necessarily like to get into because everyone has a slightly different one. The way I see it, is that the song is saying to lay your burdens at the door and enter worship, leaving those behind (picking them up on the way out) and that's... well not healthy. But each song has a history too, take "Heart of Worship" by Matt Redman. His church actually stopped doing music worship for a year because it was putting Redman and the worship band on a pedistal when it should have been putting God on a pedistal. Hense the song. We sing it for a different reason but that's why it was written. It's really hard to judge a song based on our own theology so I think that the best way to know the true meaning of the song is to research it.
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 6/13/08
Agreed. I will refrain from going off track hence forth lol. I do not see, nor do I understand people's tastes other than my own. I personally can't listen to non-stop secular music, because of the lack of values and morals. And let's face it the christian author isn't out there for a buck, (well shouldn't be, other than to live on) while the secular world are making ground breaking tunes, they are also making a fortune in the process. And I am very aware of Indie music, but the more you subdivide categories of music the more people are going to try and deviate from their original purpose, what I am trying to say is, I am glad that Christians are behind in the genres of music and are playing catch up, that would lead me to suspect they are putting Christ and His message first, rather it be in their personal lives, or conveying it through music.

Moderator
14744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / FL. But, I (May...
Offline
Posted 6/14/08

cryolyger wrote:

I do not see, nor do I understand people's tastes other than my own.
I personally can't listen to non-stop secular music, because of the lack of values and morals.
I am glad that Christians are behind in the genres of music and are playing catch up, that would lead me to suspect they are putting Christ and His message first, rather it be in their personal lives, or conveying it through music.



Amen and I also share the same views (in my own creepy way)
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 6/14/08
That put a huge smile across my face ratman, I also tried to hold back from laughing. Your not creepy just misunderstood LOL.
Posted 6/19/08
Why should it be wrong to listen to any kind of music? Music is just harmless music so long as you don't go ahead and copy some foul deed that's in the song. For example, watching a story about a murder on T.V. does not make you evil, likewise listening to a song about evil deeds does not make you evil. See?
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 6/19/08
Oh wow, late coming in to the discussion? Your logic is flawed, let me reinstate then what I have been saying throughout the entire discussion.

Music created by God for worship, rather or not you believe that or agree with that is irrelevant. Music, rather your realize it or not, has an influence on your life. If your sad do you listen to really hard music? Or if your pissed do you listen to classical? No, in fact its usually quite the opposite. Unless we were trying to calm down we would have no need for soft music, and if we needed to be pumped we would listen to the theme song from Rocky. As previously stated, music is there evoke emotion, songs of greed, hostility, hate, lust, these are all things we should not feed into.

Music is not a mindless form of entertainment, it is in fact a lot more dire to our current lifestyle than I believe we sometimes realize. If they stopped one of your favorite shows on television, or if your favorite publisher went out of business, you would merely switch over to another book or program, depending on what the account warrants. However if they stopped selling an artist or they banned downloading of a particular artist we would be in fumes. Comparing the two is not probable. My analogy's may stink and my rant a little lengthy but I hope you get my drift.

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment" (Matthew 12:36)

If it's in the gospels play close attention, the Disciples of Jesus were not ignorant of man's folly.
Moderator
14744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / FL. But, I (May...
Offline
Posted 6/19/08

Stickmania wrote:

Why should it be wrong to listen to any kind of music? Music is just harmless music so long as you don't go ahead and copy some foul deed that's in the song. For example, watching a story about a murder on T.V. does not make you evil, likewise listening to a song about evil deeds does not make you evil. See?


Sorry Stick music does infuence emotions. For exp. I have heard of many a hevy metal consert turn in to a riot. Infact most hevy metal venues hire extra security for that resone. Volent actions are more likey with presons who lisen to volent style musice. I have never heard of riot durring say Eln John shows or Yani conserts. Now I know your going to say that I dont like that kind of musice well your right but, I say any musice with a volent message will infuence volent emotions and/or actions
Posted 6/19/08

cryolyger wrote:

Oh wow, late coming in to the discussion? Your logic is flawed, let me reinstate then what I have been saying throughout the entire discussion.

Music created by God for worship, rather or not you believe that or agree with that is irrelevant. Music, rather your realize it or not, has an influence on your life. If your sad do you listen to really hard music? Or if your pissed do you listen to classical? No, in fact its usually quite the opposite. Unless we were trying to calm down we would have no need for soft music, and if we needed to be pumped we would listen to the theme song from Rocky. As previously stated, music is there evoke emotion, songs of greed, hostility, hate, lust, these are all things we should not feed into.

Music is not a mindless form of entertainment, it is in fact a lot more dire to our current lifestyle than I believe we sometimes realize. If they stopped one of your favorite shows on television, or if your favorite publisher went out of business, you would merely switch over to another book or program, depending on what the account warrants. However if they stopped selling an artist or they banned downloading of a particular artist we would be in fumes. Comparing the two is not probable. My analogy's may stink and my rant a little lengthy but I hope you get my drift.

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment" (Matthew 12:36)

If it's in the gospels play close attention, the Disciples of Jesus were not ignorant of man's folly.


Yeah but like I said before its not the music itself that's the problem, its the fact that one or two people can't control themselves (and it is just one or two). It can only have a negative effect if you let it influence your real world actions. And no you need to rethink what you said about the 'soft' music- its not there just cos it helps people calm down its also there simply because it sounds good! Therefore If you like secular music and it brings you happiness because of how the beat goes or how good the guy singing is and you won't go and beat someone to death because of it then its fine to listen to it and nobody should try to stop them.
Hell, even if you still don't see my point you should just accept the fact that different people have different tastes and trying to impose your own narrow views and opinions on others about what they should and should not do is wrong.
Posted 6/19/08
For me, if the song's lyrics promote sin I avoid listening to it...
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.