First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Ask the Warlord
Member
800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/12/08
Kunai: small dagger
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 10/15/08

kokomousey wrote:

uumm....could i ask..wat exactly is a Kunai? You know how in anime they always depict Ninjas carrying them and throwing it everywhere. I think Shurikens are for throwing...but are Kunai like small daggers? i think somewhere in this group it's been touched on before...but being me... don't want to go through each page to find the answer



ligersay wrote:

Kunai: small dagger



A kunai is a trowel. It is not a dagger or knife, it doesn't even have a blade on it. I recall no point in history in which it was used as a weapon. That notion seemed to pop up from anime in the 90's.

Shuriken refers to any knife or blade designed for throwing.

Contrary to belief, the original shuriken were flat square pieces of scrap metal, not even often sharpened.
The most common are tiny knifes that samurai fit in their kozuka pocket. The stars did not come about until modern times and were part of the ninja craze.




Member
77335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / home....I guess...
Offline
Posted 10/15/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


kokomousey wrote:

uumm....could i ask..wat exactly is a Kunai? You know how in anime they always depict Ninjas carrying them and throwing it everywhere. I think Shurikens are for throwing...but are Kunai like small daggers? i think somewhere in this group it's been touched on before...but being me... don't want to go through each page to find the answer



ligersay wrote:

Kunai: small dagger



A kunai is a trowel. It is not a dagger or knife, it doesn't even have a blade on it. I recall no point in history in which it was used as a weapon. That notion seemed to pop up from anime in the 90's.

Shuriken refers to any knife or blade designed for throwing.

Contrary to belief, the original shuriken were flat square pieces of scrap metal, not even often sharpened.
The most common are tiny knifes that samurai fit in their kozuka pocket. The stars did not come about until modern times and were part of the ninja craze.




ohh i see, another case where anime prettied things up and modified things for their own entertainment XD but to think that the origial shuriken was just something as simple as that... I've never looked into the history of the weapon so i've always thought they were star shaped XD hahaha

Thanks!!
10410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F / Somewhere in the US
Offline
Posted 10/19/08
I'm thinking about dropping my kenjutsu training. I really love it, BUT I can't devote the time to it that it deserves. Also lately I have had the problem of concentrating when I practice, I find my mind wanders from what I should be doing, I don't have this problem in my other areas of study. My husband thinks that it might be my teacher, but I know I can't put the blame on him. It's not his fault I can't concentrate. Any advice?
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 10/30/08

silverfizz wrote:

I'm thinking about dropping my kenjutsu training. I really love it, BUT I can't devote the time to it that it deserves. Also lately I have had the problem of concentrating when I practice, I find my mind wanders from what I should be doing, I don't have this problem in my other areas of study. My husband thinks that it might be my teacher, but I know I can't put the blame on him. It's not his fault I can't concentrate. Any advice?


I think the best bet is to prioritize. Make a list of pros and cons of keeping it up and leaving it. Then decide which contains the heaviest or most pros and see if they hold over all the cons.

About your mind wandering, what I do is before practice, I sit down in a comfortable area free of any distractions, then I think of all the things going on in my life and gradually push them aside, logically dissolving any worry about anything, to the point my mind is focused on training and nothing else intrudes. Then I get ready and go. You might want to try something like that.

It would depend on what your mind wanders to that would determine the source of the problem. If you question the teaching, talk to your instructor. Tell him you're having problems and seek his council. I would recommend this before quitting.


Member
1967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/08
A strange question,in Go Rin No Sho the ground book says(Even if a man has no natural ability He can be a warrior by sticking assiduously to both divisions of the way. Generally speaking,the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.) I just want some thoughts on this.And how this applys to modern warriors.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/1/08

Dormantstoney wrote:

A strange question,in Go Rin No Sho the ground book says(Even if a man has no natural ability He can be a warrior by sticking assiduously to both divisions of the way. Generally speaking,the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.) I just want some thoughts on this.And how this applys to modern warriors.


It can be related to varying degrees to the modern warrior, but the concept was primarily reserved for a warrior on the battlefield or a warrior who engaged in fatal duels.

To the modern warrior, there is always a chance you will find yourself in a life/death situation. In such a situation, if one would resolve their self to die and resign all attachment to one's life, they can fight unobstructed. If you cling to life and fight to survive, you will oftentimes become weak. But if you have no attachment to anything but the fight, you can fight with your full potential.
Member
1967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/08
antifatigueablity through focus cool.
Member
1967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/08
That is quite true that brings me to another question.Zanshin this is something I've asked people in my Dojo and abroad is this a focus thing or is this a spritual thing? Me personally I get on a roll sometimes and dont wanna stop.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/1/08 , edited 11/1/08

Dormantstoney wrote:

That is quite true that brings me to another question.Zanshin this is something I've asked people in my Dojo and abroad is this a focus thing or is this a spritual thing? Me personally I get on a roll sometimes and dont wanna stop.


Bujutsu takes a very practical approach to martial arts. None of the principles are truly 'spiritual' or internal. They deal with the mindset, resolve, and attitude.
Zanshin, or relaxed alertness for those who do not know, is a 'state.' I relate the concept of a "state" to the conjunction of mindset, attitude, and posture. Posture including every setting of the body from the relaxed yet narrowed eyes and where you set your vision to the stance to the centering of gravity 3 inches below the navel.

Focus is quite a part of it, but it takes in a lot of aspects. This 'state' is the apex linking mind and body so everything comes around full circle.

The explanation is, regrettably, unavoidably metaphysical, yet it's principle and application is anything but abstract.

8206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Republic of South...
Offline
Posted 11/1/08

Dormantstoney wrote:

A strange question,in Go Rin No Sho the ground book says(Even if a man has no natural ability He can be a warrior by sticking assiduously to both divisions of the way. Generally speaking,the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.) I just want some thoughts on this.And how this applys to modern warriors.


"Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death."

You have to understand Dormantstoney, that Miyamoto Musashi followed Zen Buddhism. It's not simply to not care to die. To truely have a resolute acceptance of death one must understand and follow the Way of walking alone, by this, "While walking on the Way, do not begrudge death." and "Though you give up your life, do not give up your honor."

The Way of the warrior can still be followed today, though many would be turned away due to its restrictions.
Member
1967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/08
Yes,I agree fully I follow Chan Buddhism.Im kinda new to Miyamoto Musashi,thank you both for the reply.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/2/08

Dormantstoney wrote:

Yes,I agree fully I follow Chan Buddhism.Im kinda new to Miyamoto Musashi,thank you both for the reply.


Though I do not consider myself a member of any religion, I did study under Rinzai zen monks.

My belief system is made up of many concepts from Taoism and Zen Buddhism, though I was brought up Catholic. Funny, I know.

I follow my own path I guess I could say, but I do share my philosophy to those who are interested though.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Ice_Blue_Eyes/pages/the_way



Member
1967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/08
Absolutely well spoken,I agree! Besides we are talking about war,but a lot of war starts with belief and doctorine. On the matter Zen and Chan are both are of the same origin. Please forgive my incurdence,fight over my belief I wouldnt dare.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 11/2/08

Dormantstoney wrote:

Absolutely well spoken,I agree! Besides we are talking about war,but a lot of war starts with belief and doctorine. On the matter Zen and Chan are both are of the same origin. Please forgive my incurdence,fight over my belief I wouldnt dare.


Good point. Perhaps someone should make a topic about how belief and spirituality affect the martial way and wars.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.