First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Are we ever justified in buying luxuries?
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 2/16/07

Eros wrote:

I admit, I find it hard to come to morally solid ground that one should buy that big screen t.v. rather then give the money to the worlds poor. How can one escape the guilt while living as one wishes? It seems our personal ambitions are thus in tension with living an fully ethical life.


It's almost 3am, so I will keep it simple:

1. Fewer sales -> lower profits -> job losses -> more people out of work -> more people on poverty line or below.

2. A large percentage of a donation given to a charity is spent on PR campaigns, administrative costs and some perks for senior executives.

3. Throwing money at the world's poor is no more ethical than buying a big screen TV.

edit:

4. it's more productive long way round to put actual work in improving a legal system and similar bodies in underdeveloped countries.
1613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / San Francisco, CA
Offline
Posted 2/16/07

naruto9817 wrote:

I've done community service at a homeless shelter once. O___O Really changes how you view homeless people. I think its a pretty cool thing to spare some change to a person in need. Most charities you 'donate' to, take a huge chunk out of what you give. So I don't believe in most of them.


Me either. Despite how bad the actual people are, I would rather do some type of community service that directly helps the homeless....it's better than donating because like you say, I don't trust most charities because they pocket some of the money that is donated....
Posted 5/2/07
if we work hard for our money then yes
1442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Tengukakushi
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
Buying luxury items helps to fight terrorism.
6326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Hogwarts
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
is rewarding oneself with new clothes or shoes or buying gudgets a luxury? xD man i work hard for it so why not xD
8990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Ronald McDonald's...
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
^Meh, that's not the point. Yeah you can say, I work for it, I earn it, I deserve it. Sounds like a logical conclusion. But there are other factors like the minute it's there (money, wealth) it's becomes a something like a responsibility. I'm lacking the right terminology here. I mean it's something like a "moralic potential". In the article the extend of that potential is pointed out. It's supposed to be seen from a personal point of view, but regarding a wider spectrum of possibilities. Anyway, it's really tricky. Accepting the argument is one thing, but following it through, it really gives you no excuses.
3025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
Seems nobody's brought up the issue of millionaires or people with way TOO much money. I look at airheads like Paris Hilton and wonder "what good exactly are they doing for the world, except make headlines and make paparazzi money"
You'd think people with some real cash would understand what good they could do.

Or those people who can't even afford it and buy luxury brand items like Christian Dior, Chanel etc. There are accounts of Japanese women selling themselves just so they can afford such brands. I'm not making it up!

The fact of the point is: People are vain and egotistical. That's part of the reason we can't seem to donate. We can't live without our little gadgets and clothing.

If we weren't even just a little shallow we'd realise we don't even really need all these things. Now I'm preaching like a hypocrite that I am, but I've become very pessimistic over the past. I realise one person really can't seem to make a difference to the overall issue of poverty. Although we need to keep trying.
It makes me very ashamed and guilty when I can't donate. I'm not rich or even average, I'm living in a working class family. But still I know I could afford to donate. But I guess for the present I'm a selfish little brat.

I will do my best in the future once I make my own money.
Posted 5/2/07

ahojcookie wrote:

^Meh, that's not the point. Yeah you can say, I work for it, I earn it, I deserve it. Sounds like a logical conclusion. But there are other factors like the minute it's there (money, wealth) it's becomes a something like a responsibility. I'm lacking the right terminology here. I mean it's something like a "moralic potential". In the article the extend of that potential is pointed out. It's supposed to be seen from a personal point of view, but regarding a wider spectrum of possibilities. Anyway, it's really tricky. Accepting the argument is one thing, but following it through, it really gives you no excuses.


ahojcookie, are you considering being a communist?do you think everyone should have the same amount of land, money and same stuff?is that why you are questioning whether or not we should have luxuries?
6347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SDF-1
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
I work my ass off and buy stuff I enjoy to make life more bearable, I dont need poor people to bitch.
6326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Hogwarts
Offline
Posted 5/2/07

ahojcookie wrote:

^Meh, that's not the point. Yeah you can say, I work for it, I earn it, I deserve it. Sounds like a logical conclusion. But there are other factors like the minute it's there (money, wealth) it's becomes a something like a responsibility. I'm lacking the right terminology here. I mean it's something like a "moralic potential". In the article the extend of that potential is pointed out. It's supposed to be seen from a personal point of view, but regarding a wider spectrum of possibilities. Anyway, it's really tricky. Accepting the argument is one thing, but following it through, it really gives you no excuses.


The word luxury doesnt have to be that bad, unless your looking at the other meaning of Luxury, and guess what? it doesnt have to be that bad. If you have the means to spend then why not? Not everyone has the same responsibilities you know. Luxury and responsibility are two different subjects.

theres nothing wrong with people who have the means for luxury. Luxury has a socio economic significance as well as rewarding oneself. If you want to talk about Responsibility then make a seperate thread.
32541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
Is it good to give our money to those in need? -- In my opinion I think it is but at the same time, it is also a matter of choice. It is not mandatory to help others and I don't think it is right for people who believe strongly in this to force their view upon others.
183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / US
Offline
Posted 5/2/07
I don't have to justify the way I spend my hard earned money.
314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 5/4/07
well, i guess.cause your money.you worked hard for it and it is a reward for your hard day's work.
8990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Ronald McDonald's...
Offline
Posted 5/5/07

bellus-vae wrote:


ahojcookie wrote:

^Meh, that's not the point. Yeah you can say, I work for it, I earn it, I deserve it. Sounds like a logical conclusion. But there are other factors like the minute it's there (money, wealth) it's becomes a something like a responsibility. I'm lacking the right terminology here. I mean it's something like a "moralic potential". In the article the extend of that potential is pointed out. It's supposed to be seen from a personal point of view, but regarding a wider spectrum of possibilities. Anyway, it's really tricky. Accepting the argument is one thing, but following it through, it really gives you no excuses.


The word luxury doesnt have to be that bad, unless your looking at the other meaning of Luxury, and guess what? it doesnt have to be that bad. If you have the means to spend then why not? Not everyone has the same responsibilities you know. Luxury and responsibility are two different subjects.

theres nothing wrong with people who have the means for luxury. Luxury has a socio economic significance as well as rewarding oneself. If you want to talk about Responsibility then make a seperate thread.


Let me make this clear:I haven't said luxury is a bad thing. I like pretty things and I'll buy something if I want it (and can afford it, of course). Which means I'm using money I could use to help others to buy vanities.

"If you have the means to spend then why not? Not everyone has the same responsibilities you know. Luxury and responsibility are two different subjects. "

If that's what you like to believe But as I told you before, that's one way to look at it. But you're not answering the question.

"If you have the means to spend then why not?" The why not? is what we are talking about here. Wealth is responsibility. You don't have to recognize it, of course.


Edit: "Accepting the argument is one thing, but following it through, it really gives you no excuses". What I meant with this is, I spend my money on luxuries, too and I see how I actually agree with the article, but find it hard to act to do as it suggests.
Posted 5/5/07
There's no moral, ethical, or religious ground to base consumption of luxuries upon. We buy it because we're selfish and we want to.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.