Death to Innovation?
Posted 6/11/08 , edited 6/11/08
On pain of being completely flamed, I'm going to talk about innovation in gaming.

Many moons ago, almost every game that came out was original, there was so much uniqueness in gaming, it was hard NOT to find a game with some crazy original characters, color full graphics, and nice gameplay, all while delivering something new. Now on the other hand, it seems were on more then one occasion handed a big plate of "DO IT AGAIN" in games, with almost no difference between games, and them having the same boring gameplay, plots, characters etc.

First, the Wii was supposed to bring us innovation, sadly, most developers instead of actually putting anything into there games want to make tons o' cash and just release crap mini game collections. Thats not innovative at all. Even worse, the games that are released that a effort was given seems to have no interest in actualy innovating anything at all. No More Heroes is great, original, fun, and you should play it, but its not exactly innovative, almost no Wii games are. Even worse, most of the games worth playing are from nintendo, using the same characters that for some reason are still around from oh so long ago. Possibly, if Nintendo discontinued Zelda, Mario, Metriod and things, that would be the best thing for them. Now I see all the arguments "Nintendo is a buisness, they need those to make money" and "Mario games rock, your just a dumbass" First, Mario has brought nothing new to the table for over 10 years, its just a fact. Second, if the place that brought you Mario, decided to bring you NEW characters, wouldn't it A) attract a broader audiance because there are some people who will not play games just because it has Mario in it B ) give you brand new characters to love? Remember your first time playing as Link saving Hyrule? Or doing it in OoT? Well, thats never going to happen agian, GET OVER IT. Link and Mario have reached there prime's, the new games there releasing are just beefed up N64 titles, and we should let them go while are memories are still good, and then introduce new characters into our lives. But I already know that there are people reading this who think that that is blasphemy and I'm retarded and don't know how buisness's work, and how Mario sells well and makes money blablabalba. If your seriously thinking THAT when it comes to games, your not a gamer, your just worried about money, and I really don't care what you say, if nintendo gave us good new games, no they wouldn't die, ANYBODY who brings new good games won't die, because people will buy them. But this trend isn't exclusive to the Wii...

Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are good consoles, rather not go over whats under there hood I'll just say its decent. Now with these consoles, you could create beautiful HD worlds, filled with vibrant colors, vast varying environments, and cool interesting characters that can have more detail. Unfortanatly what we end up with is enviromnments with brown grey and orange (gun shooting color), and they claim to be photo realistic...last time I checked the world was filled with A LOT more colors, but whatever aparently its not. So the trend is every game that comes out now has to be A) In first person B ) Photo realistic, but not actually, just brown grey and orange C) Have a bunch of buff white men and one black guy who can't speak proper english and can rap at the end of the game for you. Then, after these games are released, there called "Hardcore", because aparently all you have to do to be hardcore these days is bash the Wii and play Halo 3/Cod 4/Resistance and mock the HD console you don't own! So what we end up is getting a bunch of FPS that want to be Halo (yes, Halo, they could try to be better FPS, but for some reason that I will NEVER know, Halo will sell 3 million games on the first day...) Or even now Gears of War.

So then, maybe your not into FPS and stuff anyway and you could care less, your genre is doing good still right? Wrong. RPG's right now that are being released don't look all that new and interesting, they look like they follow the generic RPG outline word for word, hell I wanted to break my ds trying to play Drone Tactics and Summon Night: Twin Age. Whatever happened to RPG's that were bursting with originality and awesomness? Wheres games like Earthbound, Disgaea, and Shin Megami Tensei? Well I can't answer but what I can answer is what happened to..

Fighting games...well you guys are getting Street Fighter 4, as long as you ignore the onslaught of Naruto and Bleach games that fanboys/girls buy like hot cakes you guys are fine.

RTS......not much for you guys to do...at all...well your getting SC2 so uhh have fun with that, just don't expect much of any thing else lol.

Well anyway if you look at the trend of gaming most games can fall into the crap category, or at least the average, yet these games CONTINUE to sell bajillions of copies, and theres nothing anybody but WE THE GAMERS can do about it. As long as we continue to shell out money for crap like GTA4, everybody will continue to make more and more clones, while rockstar itself will continue to pump out crappy GTA games and say screw stuff like Bully. For most people I guess that isn't a problem, but I for one am a true hardcore gamer, and I play a variety of games, I play me some Team Fortress 2 after I'm done collecting secret reports in TWEWY, then I turn on my ds and play some Genesis emu for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 then the SNES for some Chrono Trigger then some Metal Slug, all while waiting for money for Ninja Gaiden 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4. My problem is, its becoming harder and harder to find good original games, and at this rate the gaming industry will be the next Holly Wood.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
You are 100% right.
1251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Wright Anything A...
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
Try to create tl;dr version of this.
Without that this topic would likely be ignored.
Posted 6/12/08

notpronerz wrote:

Try to create tl;dr version of this.
Without that this topic would likely be ignored.


Thats not long enough for you? lol.
1152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Philipinnes
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
so long... go apply on a publication or something.
132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
Playing Sonic on a Genesis emulator? That saddens me.
767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
i think majority of gamers will still play those "LETS DO IT AGAIN" games you mentioned, once a person got addicted and became his/her obbessesion in the process.
and as for the future.. there's no telling what will happen. maybe some japanese dude will invent a game world that you could get hurt or bleed and even die inside a game. (thats far as my imagination could go)

and that doesnt bother me. i guess i, or may i say we, will get tired playing games, grows old and die before the video gaming business gets defunct.
1236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Whispering Rock P...
Offline
Posted 6/12/08
the reason innovation is going down the shitter is that "gamers" nowadays just want their fucking Halo and COD.

and games like Psychonauts get overlooked completely.
1637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 6/12/08

Cain wrote:
the reason innovation is going down the shitter is that "gamers" nowadays just want their fucking Halo and COD.

I very much agree with this - how can you preach to these new/young gamers about quality and superb games (which are, ironically, mainly old school stuff) when all they've EVER been exposed to is new generation "Grafx pl0x!11!" and "let's copy all the old game elements and wrap it in shiny package!" crap-games?

As to the OP, which also expresses my general standing when it comes to new games and what developers are catering to right now, I full heartedly agree as well. Only reason why these so-called games are allowed to thrive is because good deal of gamers has NO idea what quality stands for. Arguably, not every gamer wants breath taking story and deep characters, but I say that when game calls upon uber graphics as it's main ace in hopes to flood the market... it's a sad day for all gamers truly caring for the very games they play.
Posted 6/12/08

Maladroit wrote:

Playing Sonic on a Genesis emulator? That saddens me.


My Genesis broke but I own the game so its ok
Posted 6/12/08

Cain wrote:

the reason innovation is going down the shitter is that "gamers" nowadays just want their fucking Halo and COD.

and games like Psychonauts get overlooked completely.


QTF I really hate when things like this happen! Okami, Beyond Good and Evil, and Psychonauts just all overlooked, its sad really :/
Posted 6/12/08

Methos12 wrote:


Cain wrote:
the reason innovation is going down the shitter is that "gamers" nowadays just want their fucking Halo and COD.

I very much agree with this - how can you preach to these new/young gamers about quality and superb games (which are, ironically, mainly old school stuff) when all they've EVER been exposed to is new generation "Grafx pl0x!11!" and "let's copy all the old game elements and wrap it in shiny package!" crap-games?

As to the OP, which also expresses my general standing when it comes to new games and what developers are catering to right now, I full heartedly agree as well. Only reason why these so-called games are allowed to thrive is because good deal of gamers has NO idea what quality stands for. Arguably, not every gamer wants breath taking story and deep characters, but I say that when game calls upon uber graphics as it's main ace in hopes to flood the market... it's a sad day for all gamers truly caring for the very games they play.


Hell, even when I want good graphics, that doesn't mean I want 10000000000000000000 pixels on screen, it means I want a good ART DIRECTION, but now everything is just trying to be photo realistic and does a bad job at it to. Then all of these people say "Well the multiplayer is good so who cares" but its not even up to standard with the good online FPS. Even worse as I read reviews for COD4 people were actually saying with there 9 and 10 scores "This game brings nothing new to the genre" but it still gets these SUPER high marks. Its a ok game a 7 maybe a 8 but it seems now theres only about 5 games a year and they are all just some variation of Halo, Cod or GTA, I want my innovation back.
132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/12/08

dmitsuki wrote:


Maladroit wrote:

Playing Sonic on a Genesis emulator? That saddens me.


My Genesis broke but I own the game so its ok


Sadness gone then!
1637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 6/13/08

dmitsuki wrote:
Hell, even when I want good graphics, that doesn't mean I want 10000000000000000000 pixels on screen, it means I want a good ART DIRECTION, but now everything is just trying to be photo realistic and does a bad job at it to. Then all of these people say "Well the multiplayer is good so who cares" but its not even up to standard with the good online FPS. Even worse as I read reviews for COD4 people were actually saying with there 9 and 10 scores "This game brings nothing new to the genre" but it still gets these SUPER high marks. Its a ok game a 7 maybe a 8 but it seems now theres only about 5 games a year and they are all just some variation of Halo, Cod or GTA, I want my innovation back.

That's true, especially now when majority of game developers seem to be forced to push their games into multiplayer market. I mean, there are people like myself who frankly don't give a DAMN about multiplayer unless the game is actually designed around it (Quake Wars, for example) and would love to see a decent FPS that takes it's story seriously and offers more than measly 5-6 hours of gameplay without excusing itself with "We're aiming for multiplayer experience as well"... it seems to have become quite common excuse these days. I'm also annoyed how this whole "FPS = single player sucks, good graphics, 5 hours long" has pretty much became the staple of the genre.

So, like you already said in the OP, people continue to give it high scores/play these games because there's really no (are very few) alternatives to it, especially when it comes to FPS games... there's at least some variety in adventures and RPG genres, but they have their own stereotypes and problems to work on.
You must be logged in to post.