First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Is our access to advanced technology making us lazy and dumb?
5418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
Yeah but most likely my calculus teacher would disagree. He uses smart boards and graphing calculators to teach. He's a bit cocky but then yeah I guess that's an exception.
2455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / currently residin...
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
hmm adults always sayin dat.. it makes me think they might just b jealous they didnt have all dis technology growin up.. but at the same time i guess it has some truth to it =/
209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
their recenting the whole technology thing because they cant keep up with it. period.
243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
Technology has both pros and cons, but I beleive that most of it is for the better. Using technology does not make us more stupid, maybe more lazy, but it helps us get things done faster and in this generation that is essential. I'm not a good speller and I constantly use AIM language but it's not technology's fault when I say OMG or spell words wrong. I actually think technology like computers help make us smarter, not more stupid.. With the internet I can look up almost any information I need in the blink of an eye. It's easier for me to do that than to wait until I have the time to go to the library. Plus it takes a genius to create these programs and most people want to know how to do it. I agree that it's a debatable (again I can't spell) subject. But I always know what side I (and most people of my generation) will be on.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/15/07

azrael910 wrote:


abel89 wrote:

Umm, actually he's a retired army special forces colonel who happened to get an education degree while earning his officer's commission, who would break your neck if you said that to his face, and he's a very cool and intellectual guy, oh yeah and he's in very good shape, and as a special forces soldier, he's had access to an ample amount of advanced technology that most people haven't even seen yet, and during weekends and vacations, he actually travels around to give lectures


Actually that changes very little of what I said. I'm ex military myself, so I know were you're coming from. Being an officer doesn't mean crap, all being a higher ranking officer (which colonol is only 0-6 so it's in the middle) means is you just knew how to make yourself look good on paper. Army has the worst of the lot. Don't beleive? Look at the cluster fuck in Iraq. You can only blame the politicians so much for that mess over there, and the army is running that show.

I'm not going to "ooh and ahh" over a ex special forces colonol because I know better. Yes it is very challenging to get that high that high a rank and get through all the training. But that doesn't magically qualify him to say idiotic statements. He want's to to talk about military or englsih related matters, then he is more than qualified. Why does he magically understand technology now? Oh wait - he still doesn't. It does explain the arrogance that came across in his quote though.

It's not "happened to" get an education degree. He still too the path of least resistance. He still has a degree you can't do anything with aside from teach (and get a commision). He still has no technical background. A commision requires a degree regardless of whether it's basket weaving or nuclear engineering. I actually almost put getting a commision in my original post about english majors, but decided it was too unrelated (apparently it wasn't!). There are alot of officers with education, english, and history degrees. And alot of them happen to be very incompetent. And competence has no bearing on progressing through rank - like I said, it's all about how good you can make yourself look on paper. As you get higher in rank, it's all about who you know, not what you've done. One of the main reasons I got out to the military to pursue a civilian career was that rank wasn't based on merit or performance in the least.

Special Forces training is gruelling physically and it wears you down mentally, and smart guys do tend to get involved in it (I had a detail a long time ago where I filed the orders of alot of people on base when I was in training, so I got to see the test scores of alot of special forces wash outs - all very high). There are complicated aspects to it (especially if you have to learn a language), but it's still not rocket science. What special forces was he in?

Alot of military special forces and elite career fields tend to think they have magically mastered everything there is in the world, regardless of whether they have any experience with it. Does he have any experience with technology? The answer is still most likely no. If he is retired he is at least around 45, that means he probably hasn't been inthe field since, oh, desert storm? Maybe eastern europe? He could have seen some of Iraq but that's rather doubtfull unless he just got out. You do the math with what level of technology we were using back then. I know exactly what levels of technology the regular military uses, and I can assure he is obscenely out of touch if thats what he is basing it on. Military uses old technology, the oldest they can get away with, army (once again) being the worst. He hasn't been in contact with the "latest technology." And I've worked with classified military technology as well. Most technology the military gets is old by the time it hits the field. And, hypothetically, lets say he did work with the latest technology (which he didn't)... all he did was know how to use it, not how it worked. Making him a button pusher, and by his own addmission, ignorant of it.

So in short my statement really hasn't changed much.


Actually, he never uses his military background when he's telling us this, he does use it to tell us unsavory details about battle (like what happens when white phosphurous connects with skin and what 50 caliber bullet does to a human head etc) he goes back to when he was young and had to learn how to use library referrence to find info as opposed to typing words on a keyboard and pushing enter and stuff like that, I mean I spend a lot of time in libraries and don't know how to use referrence, and he never really puts down technology, he just explains how we depend on it without learning how to do it the old fashioned way first, though on another day he explains how he learned to fear and respect technology on a mission where his team watched an enemy held house through satelite imaging and found out exactly where every hostile was in the house and of course they went in and killed them all in less than 45 seconds, he does use technology himself, just not as much as most people

and the reason he retired was over disgust about how the war in Iraq was waged because "America goes to war while trying not to kill people nowadays" I mean that small a force just to skirt around enemy units

On a side note your 24 and your army retired so you were only in like 4 years, I plan to spend 20 in the Marine corps, I plan to do the civilian thing afterward as a PMC
Posted 2/15/07
no becuz it depends on the person's behavior and personality plus some people are just plain lazy and dumb
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / try and find out
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
Hm good question...i think that if we rely too much on technology, we will develop a lot but if anything goes wrong we will be screwed. Robots for example. A brain chip malfunction.
1255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
I don't think it makes you "dumb" if anything technology has made us smarter. Yes some people are lazy and dumb but that is probably just their personality like FaeryKitty said.
365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / British Columbia,...
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
Technology makes some of us "dumber" but some of us gain from it. Those that become "dumber" are those that type using "u, n, ur" etc. because in a few of these cases, they actually spell like that in real life. As the standards drop in what is considered good enough typing online, they begin to drop in the eyes of the youth who choose to type like this, for the simple fact that, "It is acceptable.". Those that choose to type out their words fully, and use the computer to their benefit, rather then just a quick way to type to your friends are the one's that are becoming smarter by the use of this technology. Also, cellphones are causing the same problem, as the typing is shortened even further in order to conserve money. In a lot of cases "txt" can cost your more then actually calling the one you want to talk to.

That's just my two cents.
5418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
I think it only makes a "certain" group of people intelligent..most of the people dumb. They now allow calculators for arithmetic problems??? That's just wrong. And we all know that once you get lazy and dun use a particular part of the brain...it disconnects those pathways and thus making us "less" intelligent.
1255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/15/07

Scarlet_Myrmidon wrote:

Technology makes some of us "dumber" but some of us gain from it. Those that become "dumber" are those that type using "u, n, ur" etc. because in a few of these cases, they actually spell like that in real life. As the standards drop in what is considered good enough typing online, they begin to drop in the eyes of the youth who choose to type like this, for the simple fact that, "It is acceptable.". Those that choose to type out their words fully, and use the computer to their benefit, rather then just a quick way to type to your friends are the one's that are becoming smarter by the use of this technology. Also, cellphones are causing the same problem, as the typing is shortened even further in order to conserve money. In a lot of cases "txt" can cost your more then actually calling the one you want to talk to.

That's just my two cents.


I use "ur" "u" "k" sometimes and that does not make me any less intelligent, but I only do it when talking to certain people that I don't think it matters to type everything out correctly in order for them not to judge me as a idiot.
365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / British Columbia,...
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
xxannaxx I did not mean that all people who use those are dumb. What I meant was, there are some that actually use those on reports and such in real life. I see it all the time, it's unfortunate. I don't judge people by the quality of their typing myself, but the quality of their arguements. It seems nowadays a lot of people just jump to the "You're a fag." response to an intelligent arguement.

P.S. I'm not saying you jumped to that conclusion, I just thought I'd clear that off my mind.
5418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 2/15/07

Scarlet_Myrmidon wrote:

xxannaxx I did not mean that all people who use those are dumb. What I meant was, there are some that actually use those on reports and such in real life. I see it all the time, it's unfortunate. I don't judge people by the quality of their typing myself, but the quality of their arguements. It seems nowadays a lot of people just jump to the "You're a fag." response to an intelligent arguement.

P.S. I'm not saying you jumped to that conclusion, I just thought I'd clear that off my mind.


Hmmm I saw that as an insult so therefore you should receive something in return, heck I already apologized. "Get yourself a new hobby" doesn't sound intelligble to me rather is a direct insult. That's why I called you that. Either way, it's not entirely technology's fault rather its the fault of the people who monitor those kids. The education system in North America is a really disappointing one. That's why overdose in technology ruins everyone.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 2/15/07

abel89 wrote:

Actually, he never uses his military background when he's telling us this, he does use it to tell us unsavory details about battle (like what happens when white phosphurous connects with skin and what 50 caliber bullet does to a human head etc) he goes back to when he was young and had to learn how to use library referrence to find info as opposed to typing words on a keyboard and pushing enter and stuff like that, I mean I spend a lot of time in libraries and don't know how to use referrence, and he never really puts down technology, he just explains how we depend on it without learning how to do it the old fashioned way first, though on another day he explains how he learned to fear and respect technology on a mission where his team watched an enemy held house through satelite imaging and found out exactly where every hostile was in the house and of course they went in and killed them all in less than 45 seconds, he does use technology himself, just not as much as most people

and the reason he retired was over disgust about how the war in Iraq was waged because "America goes to war while trying not to kill people nowadays" I mean that small a force just to skirt around enemy units

On a side note your 24 and your army retired so you were only in like 4 years, I plan to spend 20 in the Marine corps, I plan to do the civilian thing afterward as a PMC


Fair enough, you gave me a false impression of what the guy was like. I agree with him on Iraq and can see why he retired. I still don't agree with him on his oppinion of technology making us dumber and I think he's making broad generalizations. I used to have an ex-pilot history teacher and he used to teach his oppinion as fact (and then test on it), and your teacher reminded me of that.

I'm not "retired," I'm seperated. That means I just didn't re-enlist after my first four years. No retirement benefits, but I do have th MGIB to go to school with and thanks to my middle east service am technically considered a comabt veteran. I'm aslo former Air Force (figther avionics technician) - my parent's were former Army and warned me not to go that route, though I've worked around army quite a bit.

Marine Corps? Eh... might want to wait for things to calm down, at least see how the next round of elections goes. I think if the dems take control of the white house (which is likely) we're going to see dramatic reduction in forces with an eventual withdrawel. Try to keep your sanity intact... that's the only branch you really lose your individuality in.
365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / British Columbia,...
Offline
Posted 2/15/07
reikiaddict I'm sorry if you saw it as an insult, it was more of something said in the defense of those you were "ripping on".

The education system here in North America is pretty low. The teacher's are 'laxed and the schools policies are low. For example, in my high school, homework doesn't count for marks, and as such, many students are failing. A lot of students ride through school on homework marks. Now they're being forced to do tests without being forced to do the homework. As is readily apparent, a lot of the youth lack the drive to do things such as homework on their own, so it doesn't get done. I'm getting off topic, sorry. The way we get to use calculators to do Math problems shouldn't be. This causes us to not use that part of our brains, as you said, and so, as you said, we grow dumber because of it. Also, being able to use computers to type out reports shouldn't be, it should need to be done my hand, as it's easy to take information, adjust it, then paste it down on your document. Rather then thinking up how to do it yourself, or, researching it yourself. Now it's just a game of cut, paste, adjust, print.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.