First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Last Friends vs NANA
Member
2282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / with the owner of...
Offline
Posted 6/18/08
This Topic is the idea of Seraphim317

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the similarities between Last friends and NANA.

Two girls, best friends, complete opposites
One has big, talented dreams, the other is overly dependent and ends up with bad men/man
One is always seen as strong and tough, the other is feminine and fragile, considers themselves weak

Michiru keeps making the same mistakes with returning to her abusive boyfriend, where Hachi will go with men who are unfaithful and jerks...haha hachi and michiru even both get bullied at work...you always want to slap them for the decisions they make....(going for a 1-night stand...leaving nobu...and returning to sousuke...again...and again...)

Strong themes on friendship (between the two main leads)
Takeru is like Yasu...(the guy that looks out for everyone)

I see it as the darker version of NANA with a little more realism woven into it. It just seems to have the same kind of formula for the plot.

Last friends is much darker though...

What does everyone else think? And are there other dramas out there with similar story lines, or did NANA make this formula popular? Or did it come from something else before that..?
Member
21643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/08
OMG thats so TRUE! i just noticed it lol
but Last Friends is way better; i mean Nana was good! but my fav has to be Last Friends!<3
& thanks for uploading the videos.
Posted 6/19/08
Just a note, Last Friends and NANA (including NANA 2) have the same script writer, Taeko Asano. It's inevitable ideas are recycled, retained and refurnished. Still, the script for LF has some outstanding moments for bringing exposure/awareness to certain problems which beset the young generation and creates 'space' for discussion. Two thumbs up!
Member
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/19/08

coffeeye wrote:

Just a note, Last Friends and NANA (including NANA 2) have the same script writer, Taeko Asano. It's inevitable ideas are recycled, retained and refurnished. Still, the script for LF has some outstanding moments for bringing exposure/awareness to certain problems which beset the young generation and creates 'space' for discussion. Two thumbs up!


Oh wow, really? I didn't know it was written by the same script writer. Even so, the original NANA story is by Ai Yazawa...so it can seem like the script writer just recycled the original material

but I agree, there are some interesting issues that Last Friends exposes that are very real for the current generation.
1978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Neko Island
Offline
Posted 6/21/08
Sorry, Last Friends is way better and Nana don't even come close. Yes, there are similarities, but Last Friends is the winner. The stories, themes, etc. not only grabs people's attention, but their heart/feelings as well. Sorry Nana fans, Nana is too one sided and focused on love and fame. Last Friends is based more on reality. This drama is awesome and really makes people think.
Member
140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 6/21/08

tokki321 wrote:

Sorry, Last Friends is way better and Nana don't even come close. Yes, there are similarities, but Last Friends is the winner. The stories, themes, etc. not only grabs people's attention, but their heart/feelings as well. Sorry Nana fans, Nana is too one sided and focused on love and fame. Last Friends is based more on reality. This drama is awesome and really makes people think.


well I think Nana is supposed to be like that.... they're different in many ways too so I guess you can't just judge what is better without thinking much since Nana is more on the fantasy side while Last Friends are more of the dark reality... I guess it would be even harder to choose if it was aired on the same date :0
1978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Neko Island
Offline
Posted 6/21/08

shokizuki wrote:


tokki321 wrote:

Sorry, Last Friends is way better and Nana don't even come close. Yes, there are similarities, but Last Friends is the winner. The stories, themes, etc. not only grabs people's attention, but their heart/feelings as well. Sorry Nana fans, Nana is too one sided and focused on love and fame. Last Friends is based more on reality. This drama is awesome and really makes people think.


well I think Nana is supposed to be like that.... they're different in many ways too so I guess you can't just judge what is better without thinking much since Nana is more on the fantasy side while Last Friends are more of the dark reality... I guess it would be even harder to choose if it was aired on the same date :0


I'm not judging it one-sided. I have considered the differences and similarities. However, I was judging more on the outcome towards the viewers, their reactions. As for Nana, it's not really on the fantasy side, rather it's more on modern day urban youths who are involved with music/band/fame/romance. Yes, I do agree both stories are directed toward different audiences and if compared, more people would be able to relate to Last Friends. Like what you and many said, it is based more on the dark side of reality. However, I still stand by what I said, even if both Nana and Last Friends were to be aired during the same time, I'd still say Last Friends will win cuz it will capture audiences from all age groups.
8972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 6/22/08
well LF is still more nice coz it is based more on reality while NANA is onesided because it focused
more on Love and Fame...
390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Dubai
Offline
Posted 6/22/08 , edited 6/22/08
i disagree with all... i think that NANA is way better than Last Friends. i just hate abusive men to death... at least in NANA there was less physical abuse!!
Member
140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 6/22/08

tokki321 wrote:


shokizuki wrote:


tokki321 wrote:

Sorry, Last Friends is way better and Nana don't even come close. Yes, there are similarities, but Last Friends is the winner. The stories, themes, etc. not only grabs people's attention, but their heart/feelings as well. Sorry Nana fans, Nana is too one sided and focused on love and fame. Last Friends is based more on reality. This drama is awesome and really makes people think.


well I think Nana is supposed to be like that.... they're different in many ways too so I guess you can't just judge what is better without thinking much since Nana is more on the fantasy side while Last Friends are more of the dark reality... I guess it would be even harder to choose if it was aired on the same date :0


I'm not judging it one-sided. I have considered the differences and similarities. However, I was judging more on the outcome towards the viewers, their reactions. As for Nana, it's not really on the fantasy side, rather it's more on modern day urban youths who are involved with music/band/fame/romance. Yes, I do agree both stories are directed toward different audiences and if compared, more people would be able to relate to Last Friends. Like what you and many said, it is based more on the dark side of reality. However, I still stand by what I said, even if both Nana and Last Friends were to be aired during the same time, I'd still say Last Friends will win cuz it will capture audiences from all age groups.


Judging more from the outcome? Oh wait, Ryo Nishikido have thousands of fangirls all over the world and they will not think twice watching it LOL XD I'm not saying that I don't like LF, heck, I love it to death though I do think LF still have some loopholes but maybe those would be tackled on the SP.... Ok, lemme get this straight, LF is more into angles of Love, Friendship, and dark modern reality of young adults to mid adults while Nana is more on Love, Friendship, reality (LOL! I'm like typing it the same XD), Dreams and fictional side , somewhat based on modern reality of teens to young adults ...wait, that was stupid of me of saying fantasy where what I really wanted to say is fiction, LOL XD

now i'm confused -____-;;
Member
1974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / florida
Offline
Posted 6/23/08
Love Last Friends to death, Takeru is my hero, but I gotta say NANA is my favorite. I think it's because of the fact that some ideas from NANA were recycled and used in the plot line for Last Friends, and more than anything I appreciate originality while watching shows. Not to say that Last Friends isn't original, but more so that the settings and characters in it clearly have similarities with those of NANA.
322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
Last Friends is a very good show and all, but it doesn't even come close to NANA. Last Friends, tackles issues that have been already dealt with through other sources of media. It's just getting a lot of attention because of the amazing cast. NANA has been recognized again, and again for it's amazing plot and characters, while LF just came out and got some attention. As I said, NANA has been recognized to the fact of being internationally recognized while LF is just famous mainly Japan but it isn't a huge. I'm just saying, LF is great, but it can't even stand close to NANA.
Member
8892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / philippines...
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
i haven't seen nana...but i will watch for it just to compare it....but still last friends rocks!!!!!
Member
6643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / a LittLe Red Dot...
Offline
Posted 6/25/08
hmm... mayb if Last Friends is shown all over de world like NANA is mayb it will gain some recognition... well thats wad i think... love both NANA n LF theme song... haha... m i out of topic?
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
There are similarties and differences. At least Nana do not like Hachi like a lover but as a very good friend. Nana do have Ren. It is true that Hachi is hurt by Takumi, but Takumi didn't use DV. I feel that LF is more of lesbian, gays, divorce, friendship and DV as a story talking about modern life; while Nana is talking about music, friendship and relationship.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.