First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
fashion slavery
Posted 6/24/08 , edited 6/24/08
In 2008 we take buying clothes for advantage, we can get them a lot cheaper then we could before.
But have you ever wondered why they are sold so cheap?
The reason is :
sweatshops
These places take advantage of the poor and vulnerable making them work long hours for little pay,
But the sicking thing is its not just the high street stores who sell clothes cheap it is also the big business who have a massive turnover and profit take advantage too

I have provide more information on the link http://www.aflcio.org/issues/jobseconomy/globaleconomy/children/index.cfm

at some point in our life we have bought something from sweatshops.
What is your opinion on this

EDIT
do you think theres a solution for this ?
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
for me fashion slavery is taking 15 minutes to get into VANS high top shoes. wait,scratch that. that's slave to fashion,isn't it?
almost everything is from sweatshops in asia and africa nowadays. especially if it's mass produced. that's how bastards at Gucci , De Beers & other elitist companies get people to buy their stuff, by playing the guilt factor.
36562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Corner of No and...
Offline
Posted 6/24/08 , edited 6/24/08
well yeah the sweatshop thing sucks, and they disgust me. I wish that, the world worked differently and that they could all be shut down. The problem is: if you close down the sweatshops, what will the people do for money? A lot of the families probably depend on the earnings *no matter how small they are* that the sweatshops provide. What will happen to all those employees? their families? Where will they get money? How will they get food? Water? Shelter? Clothes? Other necessities of life? Outside of sweatshops are there enough jobs in their country to provide them all with a better job and more reliable income?
47470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 6/24/08 , edited 6/24/08
I actually feel strongly after watching a BBC documentary about a major UK chain doing it. It's disgusting, and degrading for the children that are paid something like 52p per day (under half the minimum wage there) to sew thousands of beads on shirts to be distributed cheaply accross the UK. & What's worse is that these stores say that they don't tolerate unethical behaviour, and deny it is happening, even when there is hard evidence.
Primark (one of the UK stores mentioned in documentary) makes me ill anyway, the clothes tend to be tacky, but for a top for £3, I see why so many people shop there.

& I agree, sweatshops do provide small amounts of money for very poor families, but it's still not enough, and they are still being treated unethically.
Posted 6/24/08

saiyukilover wrote:

well yeah the sweatshop thing sucks, and they disgust me. I wish that, the world worked differently and that they could all be shut down. The problem is: if you close down the sweatshops, what will the people do for money? A lot of the families probably depend on the earnings *no matter how small they are* that the sweatshops provide. What will happen to all those employees? their families? Where will they get money? How will they get food? Outside of sweatshops are there enough jobs in their country to provide them all with a better job and more reliable income?


That's a very good point! People need to work to live comfortably
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/24/08

jebusxjuice wrote:

I actually feel strongly after watching a BBC documentary about a major UK chain doing it. It's disgusting, and degrading for the children that are paid something like 52p per day (under half the minimum wage there) to sew thousands of beads on shirts to be distributed cheaply accross the UK. & What's worse is that these stores say that they don't tolerate unethical behaviour, and deny it is happening, even when there is hard evidence.
Primark (one of the UK stores mentioned in documentary) makes me ill anyway, the clothes tend to be tacky, but for a top for £3, I see why so many people shop there.

& I agree, sweatshops do provide small amounts of money for very poor families, but it's still not enough, and they are still being treated unethically.


in some countries that's enough to buy 3 square meals,shelter and a little left over. that's the only resort these people have.
47470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 6/24/08

h4x0rz wrote:


jebusxjuice wrote:

I actually feel strongly after watching a BBC documentary about a major UK chain doing it. It's disgusting, and degrading for the children that are paid something like 52p per day (under half the minimum wage there) to sew thousands of beads on shirts to be distributed cheaply accross the UK. & What's worse is that these stores say that they don't tolerate unethical behaviour, and deny it is happening, even when there is hard evidence.
Primark (one of the UK stores mentioned in documentary) makes me ill anyway, the clothes tend to be tacky, but for a top for £3, I see why so many people shop there.

& I agree, sweatshops do provide small amounts of money for very poor families, but it's still not enough, and they are still being treated unethically.


in some countries that's enough to buy 3 square meals,shelter and a little left over. that's the only resort these people have.


I know, I have addressed that, but it's still under half of the minimum wage for that area, but I suppose any money is good money.
5352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
I own a sweatshop in india.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/24/08

Gt-racing wrote:

I own a sweatshop in india.


Boss! You're here! I was just taking a 5 minute break!
Posted 6/24/08

Gt-racing wrote:

I own a sweatshop in india.


Nice. You should let me work there.

8000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / california
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
Does hollister and abercrombie and fitch do the same thing
3227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / England
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
yes, and Zara, Gap, and Topshop! ! !
Posted 6/24/08

h4x0rz wrote:


Gt-racing wrote:

I own a sweatshop in india.


Boss! You're here! I was just taking a 5 minute break!


He's lying!! , he was sleeping with the dog for hours!
2634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
Couldn't this go into the capitalism topic? Mod will decide anyways. Reported

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-80943/Capitalism-Development-of-a-strong-nation-or-the-crippling-of-another.html
4286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Offline
Posted 6/24/08
Whatever.
As long as I can wear whatever sweet clothes I want, I can turn a blind eye to how the company chooses to have them made.
LOL APATHY.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.