First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
you are atoms
147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / erm i dont really...
Offline
Posted 6/26/08
no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.
963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


Like I already said, "to fill a void in an equation". We don't KNOW anything exists, we can speculate and say we're fairly confident in a particular thing's existence based on intuition and obtainable evidence, but we can't EVER know with complete certainty ANYTHING exists. Especially in cases like this, it's like saying "I've only seen people cross rivers on a bridge in my life, if you crossed a river, there must be a bridge". Completely ignoring the possibility of a boat.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

excalion wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


Like I already said, "to fill a void in an equation". We don't KNOW anything exists, we can speculate and say we're fairly confident in a particular thing's existence based on intuition and obtainable evidence, but we can't EVER know with complete certainty ANYTHING exists. Especially in cases like this, it's like saying "I've only seen people cross rivers on a bridge in my life, if you crossed a river, there must be a bridge". Completely ignoring the possibility of a boat.


Erm sorry but you're being a bit ridiculous. Yes we could live in a matrix. Yes the rules of physics could be subject to the wim of an unfathomable entity such as god. We could be an illusion. However, by what we have defined as reality (what we can comprehend and measure): done through science most effectively, the existence of dark matter is not speculation but fact. You should take a few more advanced courses on astronomy and physics before you attempt to argue the point.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz


No it is not space-time (at least not in a special sense apart from ordinary matter of mass), but actual mass that we simply have not gotten around to observing/cannot observe through some limitations.
963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz


No it is not space-time (at least not in a special sense apart from ordinary matter of mass), but actual mass that we simply have not gotten around to observing/cannot observe through some limitations.


have you got any sites on this? because i havent researched any of this for a while an i would like to learn more
34454 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada
Offline
Posted 6/26/08
boring =_= XD
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz


No it is not space-time (at least not in a special sense apart from ordinary matter of mass), but actual mass that we simply have not gotten around to observing/cannot observe through some limitations.


have you got any sites on this? because i havent researched any of this for a while an i would like to learn more


Not specifically. Sites are a bad way to learn, you should do it through courses: reading and memorizing "clever" terms does not mean undertanding. You need to grasp the basics and build up on them, from books in worst-case scenario. Websites have the additional problem of being inaccurate often, and it is hard to establish their reliability.

You could try this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/dark_matter.html
for a brief overview but trust me it is not NEARLY as good as learning it properly.
963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz


No it is not space-time (at least not in a special sense apart from ordinary matter of mass), but actual mass that we simply have not gotten around to observing/cannot observe through some limitations.


have you got any sites on this? because i havent researched any of this for a while an i would like to learn more


Not specifically. Sites are a bad way to learn, you should do it through courses: reading and memorizing "clever" terms does not mean undertanding. You need to grasp the basics and build up on them, from books in worst-case scenario. Websites have the additional problem of being inaccurate often, and it is hard to establish their reliability.

You could try this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/dark_matter.html
for a brief overview but trust me it is not NEARLY as good as learning it properly.


my library is crap and im still in high school so i have to put up with a lame a education, but when i get to college im gonna do a course on physics. for now, i il have to scrounge off wikipedia lolz
thanks for the link an ye, i cant wait till im outa school an get to learn about decent things.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz


No it is not space-time (at least not in a special sense apart from ordinary matter of mass), but actual mass that we simply have not gotten around to observing/cannot observe through some limitations.


have you got any sites on this? because i havent researched any of this for a while an i would like to learn more


Not specifically. Sites are a bad way to learn, you should do it through courses: reading and memorizing "clever" terms does not mean undertanding. You need to grasp the basics and build up on them, from books in worst-case scenario. Websites have the additional problem of being inaccurate often, and it is hard to establish their reliability.

You could try this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/dark_matter.html
for a brief overview but trust me it is not NEARLY as good as learning it properly.


my library is crap and im still in high school so i have to put up with a lame a education, but when i get to college im gonna do a course on physics. for now, i il have to scrounge off wikipedia lolz
thanks for the link an ye, i cant wait till im outa school an get to learn about decent things.


If you are not too lazy (I was -_-) it is extremely useful to talk to people who know a bit more about the topic and get info on where to get textbooks about it. That way you can learn ahead of time. Also taking college-lever cousres is a plus, when possible.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

hikobuf wrote:

boring =_= XD


it seems that i'm not alone then.
963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


is it space-time?... i seriously need to brush up on my quantum mechanics lolz


No it is not space-time (at least not in a special sense apart from ordinary matter of mass), but actual mass that we simply have not gotten around to observing/cannot observe through some limitations.


have you got any sites on this? because i havent researched any of this for a while an i would like to learn more


Not specifically. Sites are a bad way to learn, you should do it through courses: reading and memorizing "clever" terms does not mean undertanding. You need to grasp the basics and build up on them, from books in worst-case scenario. Websites have the additional problem of being inaccurate often, and it is hard to establish their reliability.

You could try this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/dark_matter.html
for a brief overview but trust me it is not NEARLY as good as learning it properly.


my library is crap and im still in high school so i have to put up with a lame a education, but when i get to college im gonna do a course on physics. for now, i il have to scrounge off wikipedia lolz
thanks for the link an ye, i cant wait till im outa school an get to learn about decent things.


If you are not too lazy (I was -_-) it is extremely useful to talk to people who know a bit more about the topic and get info on where to get textbooks about it. That way you can learn ahead of time. Also taking college-lever cousres is a plus, when possible.


haha i am to lazy but i will ask my science teacher where to get some books from. i doubt i would be aloud on a college level course, i have really bad attendence lolz thanks

7164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/26/08
thanks for the science lesson[;
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.