First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
you are atoms
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

xdevilettebesideyou wrote:

thanks for the science lesson[;


you understood something? i was hoping this thread would be about philosophy but it has become yet another physics thread
i suck at physics.
7164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

h4x0rz wrote:


xdevilettebesideyou wrote:

thanks for the science lesson[;


you understood something? i was hoping this thread would be about philosophy but it has become yet another physics thread
i suck at physics.


it was sarcasm.
haha.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

xdevilettebesideyou wrote:
it was sarcasm.
haha.


I hoped so. I didn't want to seem like the only idiot not following what's going on.
4587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / there >>>>
Offline
Posted 6/26/08
im made up of atoms..but im not an atom
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


Like I already said, "to fill a void in an equation". We don't KNOW anything exists, we can speculate and say we're fairly confident in a particular thing's existence based on intuition and obtainable evidence, but we can't EVER know with complete certainty ANYTHING exists. Especially in cases like this, it's like saying "I've only seen people cross rivers on a bridge in my life, if you crossed a river, there must be a bridge". Completely ignoring the possibility of a boat.


Erm sorry but you're being a bit ridiculous. Yes we could live in a matrix. Yes the rules of physics could be subject to the wim of an unfathomable entity such as god. We could be an illusion. However, by what we have defined as reality (what we can comprehend and measure): done through science most effectively, the existence of dark matter is not speculation but fact. You should take a few more advanced courses on astronomy and physics before you attempt to argue the point.


This debate on the reliability of the existence of dark matter has little to do with whether I've actually taken any advanced courses of physics or not, it's a matter of accepting human fallibility. Especially on a matter as abstract as this, where evidence is only begotten through equations and theorems. I never once said dark matter simply does not exist, I believe my initial words were 'no one really knows if it exists or not'. I never refuted the possibility nor likelihood for its existence, I simply rejected the absolution of its existence as a fact undeniable. You said so yourself, we believe reality because we choose to believe in what we can comprehend and measure, but just because we believe something, doesn't make it true. A brief look at the history of scientific progression will alert one to the fact that it IS fallible. After all, an infallible science is not science at all, according to Popper. I just find it silly, in the case of darkmatter, where we obviously do not hold all the pieces to the puzzle, yet people proclaim the most likely solution at the time to be an absolute truth.
Posted 6/26/08
ok. and?
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

excalion wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


anvoice wrote:


excalion wrote:


silverdragon833 wrote:

no one tecnically knows what dark matter is or what its made of


That's because no one really knows if it even exists or not. It's just a hypothetical matter created to fill a void in an equation.


That's where you are wrong. We KNOW that it exists. We can approximate the total amount of matter the galaxy needs to balance itself, and the matter that we observe comprises only 1% of that. Therefore, there IS unobserved matter. The question is what exactly it is comprised of, but there are good guesses to what at least part of it is.


Like I already said, "to fill a void in an equation". We don't KNOW anything exists, we can speculate and say we're fairly confident in a particular thing's existence based on intuition and obtainable evidence, but we can't EVER know with complete certainty ANYTHING exists. Especially in cases like this, it's like saying "I've only seen people cross rivers on a bridge in my life, if you crossed a river, there must be a bridge". Completely ignoring the possibility of a boat.


Erm sorry but you're being a bit ridiculous. Yes we could live in a matrix. Yes the rules of physics could be subject to the wim of an unfathomable entity such as god. We could be an illusion. However, by what we have defined as reality (what we can comprehend and measure): done through science most effectively, the existence of dark matter is not speculation but fact. You should take a few more advanced courses on astronomy and physics before you attempt to argue the point.


This debate on the reliability of the existence of dark matter has little to do with whether I've actually taken any advanced courses of physics or not, it's a matter of accepting human fallibility. Especially on a matter as abstract as this, where evidence is only begotten through equations and theorems. I never once said dark matter simply does not exist, I believe my initial words were 'no one really knows if it exists or not'. I never refuted the possibility nor likelihood for its existence, I simply rejected the absolution of its existence as a fact undeniable. You said so yourself, we believe reality because we choose to believe in what we can comprehend and measure, but just because we believe something, doesn't make it true. A brief look at the history of scientific progression will alert one to the fact that it IS fallible. After all, an infallible science is not science at all, according to Popper. I just find it silly, in the case of darkmatter, where we obviously do not hold all the pieces to the puzzle, yet people proclaim the most likely solution at the time to be an absolute truth.


bs.
This is not a "is reality real?" debate. I suppose if somebody asks you "what is the second law of thermodynamics?" you will give them the same "it's all relative" crap? It was obvious what kind of answer was wanted.
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


indian movies have raped physics more than chuck norris did. end of story :D
963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


oo rllyyy
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

simo2332 wrote:


JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


oo rllyyy


I told you to make it a philosophical discussion.
1490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

h4x0rz wrote:


JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


indian movies have raped physics more than chuck norris did. end of story :D


The only thing that raped was good taste.
Posted 6/26/08

h4x0rz wrote:


JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


indian movies have raped physics more than chuck norris did. end of story :D


what?
Posted 6/26/08

simo2332 wrote:


JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


oo rllyyy


why do you keep oo rllyyying me?
you want my attention, right?
silly boy
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

anvoice wrote:


h4x0rz wrote:


JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


indian movies have raped physics more than chuck norris did. end of story :D


The only thing that raped was good taste.


i got more links but that one will prove the point fine
963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08

h4x0rz wrote:


simo2332 wrote:


JulieDavon wrote:

ok. and?


oo rllyyy


I told you to make it a philosophical discussion.



lmao i know but i thought this was just as interesting.
you should start one, i will post on it
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.