First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
[Movie] Wanted (Cult Comic turned Movie)
1168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / so cal
Offline
Posted 6/26/08 , edited 6/26/08
For those of you who aren't familiar with it (i'm pretty sure most of you aren't)
Wanted is a six issue comic series written by Mark Millar and art by JG Jones and Paul Mounts, published by Top Cow.
The story is set in a world where superheroes and -villians exist. The supervillians decide to work together and take over the world. They kill most of the heroes and the ones that are alive are old and useless. They have a device that makes everyone forget that there were heroes at all.
The story follows Wesley Gibson, a "loser" at life if you will. His girlfriend cheats on him with his best friend, he's stuck at a dead end job, gets picked on by gangsters on his way home everyday, etc. It turns out that his father who abandoned his family was one of these villians and was assassinated.
Now Wesley must take over his dads old job as "The Killer". He becomes a perfect marksman and now has a "good life"
Soonafter, the truce between the villians is broken and Wesley is caught in the middle.
It's very campy and cult, and in my opinion isn't for everyone but my friends and I love it.

Now the movie loosely based on this (and I mean "loosely") has been released worldwide.
It is directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Night Watch, Day Watch) and stars James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie.
The major difference between the two is that the movie has "assassins" instead of supervillians. (Which I have a major problem with) Click to watch trailer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pWuFv48Zk
I'm sure the movie will be good, but i feel that the studio is taking away the most important aspect and turning
it into a different thing entirely. What if someone sees the movie and thinks this is what Millar was going for?
I think it is taking away from the comic's major audience just to make money. I am glad that Wanted will get it's story told to different people. As you can see, I am very mixed.
Now I would like to know what you think about the comic, the movie, or both.
85095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/26/08
wow cool that movie i really want to check it out, it think its going to be cool movie
Posted 6/26/08

nathan_sexplosion wrote:

For those of you who aren't familiar with it (i'm pretty sure most of you aren't)
Wanted is a six issue comic series written by Mark Millar and art by JG Jones and Paul Mounts, published by Top Cow.
The story is set in a world where superheroes and -villians exist. The supervillians decide to work together and take over the world. They kill most of the heroes and the ones that are alive are old and useless. They have a device that makes everyone forget that there were heroes at all.
The story follows Wesley Gibson, a "loser" at life if you will. His girlfriend cheats on him with his best friend, he's stuck at a dead end job, gets picked on by gangsters on his way home everyday, etc. It turns out that his father who abandoned his family was one of these villians and was assassinated.
Now Wesley must take over his dads old job as "The Killer". He becomes a perfect marksman and now has a "good life"
Soonafter, the truce between the villians is broken and Wesley is caught in the middle.
It's very campy and cult, and in my opinion isn't for everyone but my friends and I love it.

Now the movie loosely based on this (and I mean "loosely") has been released worldwide.
It is directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Night Watch, Day Watch) and stars James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie.
The major difference between the two is that the movie has "assassins" instead of supervillians. (Which I have a major problem with) Click to watch trailer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pWuFv48Zk
I'm sure the movie will be good, but i feel that the studio is taking away the most important aspect and turning
it into a different thing entirely. What if someone sees the movie and thinks this is what Millar was going for?
I think it is taking away from the comic's major audience just to make money. I am glad that Wanted will get it's story told to different people. As you can see, I am very mixed.
Now I would like to know what you think about the comic, the movie, or both.


Well, if you read Millar's message board, you would know he's okay with everything and is starting to write a movie sequel already. He's just happy to start playing Scrooge McDuck and start swimming in his new found wealth
769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 6/26/08
Ugh..cliffs pl0x..
19863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
Yeah, I should probably check that shit out soon. The Spirit should be fucking awesome too.
Posted 6/27/08
i might watched this

as long is there violence in the movie. . .

1168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / so cal
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
well. i just got back from seeing it and i must say it was pretty damn good. it felt to me like the movie started out as a bad ripoff of the original but then it made a sharp turn into it's own well thought out storyline. i liked that it kept me thinking. everytime i thought i knew what was going to happen, it took me by suprise by doing something different and better than what i thought.
the screenplay and overall action was very innovative and original as should be expected. (things like curving bullets and much more)
and what i like best is that it keeps it's "geek" factor, if you will. so it should appeal to the old fans while still impressing the new.
12704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Johnny and the JE...
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
It was alright. I kind of like all the action scenes, I haven't read the comic so I can't give a credible review. But I have to say, BOTH the lead stars are HAWT!
16324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 6/27/08

DRO1 wrote:

Yeah, I should probably check that shit out soon. The Spirit[/u] should be fucking awesome too.


I'm a huge fan of Frank Miller, so I'll watch The Spirit instead.
Wanted's trailer made me laugh. I think someone on CR has a parody avi of it.
2964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
yea it looks awesum and angelina jolies in it so nuff said
7240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
Mmmmmhmm...
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / at the happiest p...
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
the commercials actually look interesting.....especially when the guy somehow got into the car......
1620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
aw come on... its worth watching just for angelina jolie ^^
702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / u dont need to no :P
Offline
Posted 6/27/08
im not reallyign looking forward to the movie
19863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 6/27/08

h4x0rz wrote:


DRO1 wrote:

Yeah, I should probably check that shit out soon. The Spirit[/u] should be fucking awesome too.


I'm a huge fan of Frank Miller, so I'll watch The Spirit instead.
Wanted's trailer made me laugh. I think someone on CR has a parody avi of it.


I've read all of his batmans. Are you reading All-Star batman? Just finished issue 9 dude, Sadist Batman is the best.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.