First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Is there any moral value in ATHEISM?????????
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08

tegweni wrote:

I'm atheist.. I'm not a communist.. And I have morals.
HOWEVER I still think this thread is stupid and should be locked. -.-"


do whatever you want but don't call this thread STUPID
Posted 6/28/08 , edited 6/28/08

OTAKUADDICT wrote:


tegweni wrote:

I'm atheist.. I'm not a communist.. And I have morals.
HOWEVER I still think this thread is stupid and should be locked. -.-"


do whatever you want but don't call this thread STUPID


Hmm, okay..
This thread is dense and pointless.. It induces hate and starts silly arguments. Not all people who are religious have morals, it depends on the person not their religious views.

Edit: Also, communism being brought into anything is asking for an argument.
Posted 6/28/08
Everyone has morals of their own; It doesn't necessarily came from religion. Therefore, I think atheists people have morals too and I don't think it's a good idea to question that; How about if someone ask a religious person if he/she have morals, how would you feel?
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08

n_n303 wrote:

you keep talking about equality and people disrespecting you, but you're the one thats disrespecting others by your threads. I'm sure athiest people would feel offended if they saw your thread. If you're new to the website then i suggest you read the forum rules. there is a reason your threads get locked. oh and another thing, you keep talking about letting people talk and share about their opinions yet you say something like


who are you? i dont know you.
and cutting off their opinion when it doesnt appeal to you. Please shut your trap. You're such a hypocrite.


call me whatever you want but please respect me as you respect others

because I apologized with you

yet you are calling me a hypocrite

but GOD said:

don't judge others because he is the only one that will judge them



4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08 , edited 6/28/08

n_n303 wrote:


OTAKUADDICT wrote:


n_n303 wrote:

you keep talking about equality and people disrespecting you, but you're the one thats disrespecting others by your threads. I'm sure athiest people would feel offended if they saw your thread. If you're new to the website then i suggest you read the forum rules. there is a reason your threads get locked. oh and another thing, you keep talking about letting people talk and share about their opinions yet you say something like


who are you? i dont know you.
and cutting off their opinion when it doesnt appeal to you. Please shut your trap. You're such a hypocrite.


call me whatever you want but please respect me as you respect others

because I apologized with you

yet you are calling me a hypocrite

but GOD said:

don't judge others because he is the only one that will judge them





I call you a hypocrite because you are one.

You apologized and i'm thankful for that. However i wont apologize back, because i'm just stating my opinion on your thread about your topic and how i see you.

Also, I don't believe in god. thanks for the insight though. And are you sure GOD is the one that said that? and not a human?



maybe humanity is not perfect

but i will not talk to you anymore

because our own ideologies is different

and you must understand that both religion and atheism have morals and immorals

because we humanity are not perfect

and I don't change your beliefs as much as you cannot change my own beliefs

simple as that

maybe some atheist are radical compare to radical muslims and christians


I hope you are not a NEO-NAZI



3768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / land of promise,...
Offline
Posted 6/28/08
atheism? i dont think so. so obviously, there's no moral value in it.
34081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Chicago
Offline
Posted 6/28/08

Kipikipo wrote:

Well for one, I don't judge others on their religious beliefs.


I agree with this. I do not judge by religion. I am an athiest, I have morals.
34081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Chicago
Offline
Posted 6/28/08

n_n303 wrote:


OTAKUADDICT wrote:


n_n303 wrote:

you keep talking about equality and people disrespecting you, but you're the one thats disrespecting others by your threads. I'm sure athiest people would feel offended if they saw your thread. If you're new to the website then i suggest you read the forum rules. there is a reason your threads get locked. oh and another thing, you keep talking about letting people talk and share about their opinions yet you say something like


who are you? i dont know you.
and cutting off their opinion when it doesnt appeal to you. Please shut your trap. You're such a hypocrite.


call me whatever you want but please respect me as you respect others

because I apologized with you

yet you are calling me a hypocrite

but GOD said:

don't judge others because he is the only one that will judge them





I call you a hypocrite because you are one.

You apologized and i'm thankful for that. However i wont apologize back, because i'm just stating my opinion on your thread about your topic and how i see you.

Also, I don't believe in god. thanks for the insight though. And are you sure GOD is the one that said that? and not a human?


I do not believe in god either, I have morals, people are people in my opinion.
485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/28/08

OTAKUADDICT wrote:


WeeBoX wrote:


OTAKUADDICT wrote:

I KNOW COMMUNISM IS ATHEISM AND HAS NO MORALS BECAUSE THEY TORTURE AND KILL RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL ENEMIES OF THEM


How can you be so sure that communists have no morals? Morality is subjective and although these people admonish others aside from them, doesn't mean they lack the morals. Views on morality differ with every culture and religion. What they believe is true may not be agreeable to some.


then is it ok for them to kill people???and call it moral?????????

just a question


First, you sound like a troll that's just trying to piss people off, but I'm bored so I'll bite.

Second of all, I think you're hypersensitive, no one really insulted you to begin with.

Thirdly, Communism is not equal to Atheism, they have completely different definitions... but yes one can be Communist *and* Atheist, but one can also be Atheist and *not* Communist.

Fourth, religious groups have, and still commit murder. I don't care what God it is you worship, one point or another in history chances are it's murdered people just because they weren't of the same creed.

See Crusades; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Fifth, its a common misconception to believe that morals derive from religious beliefs, as one can go their entire life without ever even thinking about religion but still have more morals than a pedophiliac Catholic priest.

Sixth, contrary to popular belief, capslock does not help you prove your point, but it makes people hate you.

And lastly, don't make such irrelevant connections. I could easily argue with your logic that you're lying about your internet age and you're really 12 because you type in all caps. While you do type in all caps, it has absolutely no correlation with age, but hey, I just thought I'd make a ridiculous connection to prove a point that doesn't make sense also.
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08
Many world religions teach that morality is derived from or expressed by the dictates or commandments of a particular deity, and that acknowledgment of God or the gods is a major factor in motivating people towards moral behavior. Consequently, atheists have frequently been accused of holding no rational basis for acting morally. For example, for many years in the United States, atheists were not allowed to testify in court because it was believed that an atheist would have no reason to tell the truth.

Atheists almost uniformly reject the above view and many have argued that no religious basis is necessary for one to live an ethical life. They assert that atheists are as or more motivated towards moral behavior as anyone. Many atheists are drawn towards views like secular humanism, empiricism, objectivism, or utilitarianism, which provide moral frameworks that are not founded on faith in deities.[citation needed] Atheists such as Richard Dawkins have proposed that our morality is a result of our evolutionary history. He proposes that the Moral Zeitgeist helps describe how morality evolves from biological and cultural origins and evolves with time.
Many among theists and atheists do not believe that theism, or lack of it, has any pronounced effect on whether a person behaves morally or not. For instance, the Dalai Lama has said that compassion and affection are human values independent of religion: We need these human values. I call these secular ethics, secular beliefs. There’s no relationship with any particular religion. Even without religion, even as nonbelievers, we have the capacity to promote these things. Others state that religion may heighten a person's moral sense without denying that atheists can have a reasonable ethic. Roy Hattersley, though himself an atheist, concedes that religious believers, such as those in the Salvation Army and the Little Sisters of the Poor, possess "moral imperatives" that may make them "morally superior to atheists" like himself.

The notion that atheists are able to live ethical lives may be supported by the traditional Christian concept of natural law. The Catholic Church teaches that human reason inclines people to seek the good and avoid sin, and that people would therefore still be prone to moral behavior even without knowledge of a revealed divine law. This natural law would provide the foundation on which humans can build moral rules to guide its choices and regulate society. Other Christian groups adopt similar reasoning.
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08
A common criticism of atheism is the contention that it caused or contributed to repression of religion and persecution of the religious by totalitarian regimes like those of Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong and Pol Pot.

Christian writer Dinesh D'Souza writes that "The crimes of atheism have generally been perpetrated through a hubristic ideology that sees man, not God, as the creator of values. Using the latest techniques of science and technology, man seeks to displace God and create a secular utopia here on earth." He also contends "And who can deny that Stalin and Mao, not to mention Pol Pot and a host of others, all committed atrocities in the name of a Communist ideology that was explicitly atheistic? Who can dispute that they did their bloody deeds by claiming to be establishing a 'new man' and a religion-free utopia? These were mass murders performed with atheism as a central part of their ideological inspiration, they were not mass murders done by people who simply happened to be atheist."

In response to such criticism, Sam Harris writes "The problem with fascism and communism, however, is not that they are too critical of religion; the problem is that they are too much like religions. Such regimes are dogmatic to the core and generally give rise to personality cults that are indistinguishable from cults of religious hero worship. Auschwitz, the gulag and the killing fields were not examples of what happens when human beings reject religious dogma; they are examples of political, racial and nationalistic dogma run amok. There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable." Richard Dawkins has stated that Stalin's atrocites were influenced not by atheism but by their dogmatic Marxism,and while Stalin and Mao happened to be atheists, they did not do their deeds in the name of atheism.
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08
Atheists are sometimes criticized for a perceived unnecessarily harsh, or even prejudicial, way some of them deal with people holding theistic world views. When discussing atheism and morality at infidels.org, the atheist Mark I. Vuletic questions why many theists still see atheists as stereotypically "morally corrupt". He suggests that part of the problem lies in the demonization of disbelief by religious groups, but he also mentions another issue:
“ Atheism has a comparatively small public voice, but it is a voice that many believers hear. However, when they listen to this voice, they often hear little more than slurs and insults. When interacting with atheists, believers are frequently met with the same arrogance and condescension, the same hatred and vitriol, the same bigotry and prejudice, as atheists so often receive from believers. In short, believers tend to encounter in atheists exactly what they have been taught to expect. ”

As a theistic religion, Christianity necessarily rejects atheism on these grounds. The Catechism of the Catholic Church identifies atheism as a violation of the First Commandment, calling it "a sin against the virtue of religion", it is careful to acknowledge that atheism may be motivated by virtuous or moral considerations, and admonishes the followers of Roman Catholicism to focus on their own role in encouraging atheism by their religious or moral shortcomings:

The imputability of this offense can be significantly diminished in virtue of the intentions and the circumstances. "Believers can have more than a little to do with the rise of atheism. To the extent that they are careless about their instruction in the faith, or present its teaching falsely, or even fail in their religious, moral, or social life, they must be said to conceal rather than to reveal the true nature of God and of religion.
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08
Has science disproved God?

McGrath says Darwinism is equally compatible with religious beliefs and with atheism, quoting Gould and Rees in support and advocates a view of "“partially overlapping magisteria” (POMA), stating that science and religion offer possibilities of crossfertilization on account of the interpenetration of their subjects and methods."He quotes Denis Noble's reformulation of Dawkins' "lumbering robots" trope to show that two statements that "see the world in completely different ways" can be empirically equivalent ) and suggests that "scientific theories do not, and are not intended to, describe and explain "everything about the world" – such as its purpose."

McGrath suggests that rather a lot of scientists do believe in God (including 40% of American scientists (though whether or not mathematicians, theoreticians, or physicists are included is not mentioned).He points out that Owen Gingerich, Francis Collins and Paul Davies had produced theistic books in the same year as The God Delusion.and claims that "Dawkins clearly has no mandate whatsoever to speak for the scientific community at this point or on this topic. There is a massive observational discrepancy between the number of scientists that Dawkins believes should be atheists, and those who are so in practice....Dawkins is clearly entrenched in his own peculiar version of a fundamentalist dualism". McGrath also criticises what he terms Dawkins's suggestions of insincerity on the part of Freeman Dyson, Stephen Jay Gould, Michael Ruse and John Paul II.
485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/28/08
Not only is your copypasta not helping your case, but you answered your own question with it.
4577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 6/28/08

baka2000 wrote:

Not only is your copypasta not helping your case, but you answered your own question with it.


i want to end this thread with my own criticism of ATHEISM

PEACE OUT

NO OFFENSE

because some Atheist do not know the meaning of peace
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.