First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Basic Lesson 4: List of Honorific Explained
Moderator
11953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawai'i
Offline
Posted 12/29/08

angelicax wrote:

Thanks! but what about -chii??


"-chii"? Where is that from?
Member
15492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / under the bed
Offline
Posted 12/30/08

Ryukon wrote:


angelicax wrote:

Thanks! but what about -chii??


"-chii"? Where is that from?

duno...><" i just saw some1 call some1 name-chii~
is it just like -pyon??
Member
273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / somewhere over th...
Offline
Posted 1/1/09 , edited 1/1/09
in shugo chara yaya calls amu amu-chii
Posted 1/2/09 , edited 1/2/09

angelicax wrote:

Thanks! but what about -chii??


Chii is a status position that one's achieve over time. So this "Chii" is more like a Class type instead of -chan or -san. So according to the other comment after ur question how Shugo Chara calls that character amu-chii..I think that meant that amu (the character) is someone who is trying to achieve a greater power or goal in the position she's in. [e.g.. The president has more chii than the secretary of state]
Unfortunately I may be wrong. Because there might be a different definition for that too. Chi without double "i" mean earth. But I'm sure i might be correct.
Member
6762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / here! : )
Offline
Posted 1/9/09
can someone quote this post and tell me wat "-tan" means? thanx~
Moderator
11953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawai'i
Offline
Posted 1/9/09

iHan121 wrote:

can someone quote this post and tell me wat "-tan" means? thanx~


"-tan" is the typical mispronounciations from small children when they try to say "-chan", so therefore "-tan" is usually associated with baby-talk. However, "-tan" is also popular when associated with inanimate objects, selling of products like (OS-tan when advertising their computers), on image boards with a female character, and more.
Member
7144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / anime wonderland...
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

Ryouseiteki wrote:


xxhinatahyuugaxx wrote:

What does pyon mean? Ive been wondering cause I found it on a website so ive been calling peopel that but...I FORGOT WHAT IT MEANT ._.'


Uhm.. im not sure if pyon is an honorific O-o but i know it's a gitaigo, onomatopoeia. pyonpyon = the sound of a bunny or something hopping or skipping.

~edit~
nvm lol apparently it's an honorific that's sorta like a slang? showing that the user is being cutesy or loveydovey :x lol so yeah.. guess i learned something new haha. I would say not to use this with Japanese people, because -chan already sorta covers the same meaning and it seems more polite and more commonly use than -pyon lol


then wats -desu mean?
Moderator
11953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawai'i
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

trinhtrees97 wrote:

then wats -desu mean?


I think you mean the normal "desu" for setences? Like "Mara desu" which means "I'm Mara" for introductions. The "desu" is formal and polite, and it used for mostly everything that doesn't end in a verb, so it doesn't have to always apply to names.
Member
7144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / anime wonderland...
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

Ryukon wrote:


trinhtrees97 wrote:

then wats -desu mean?


I think you mean the normal "desu" for setences? Like "Mara desu" which means "I'm Mara" for introductions. The "desu" is formal and polite, and it used for mostly everything that doesn't end in a verb, so it doesn't have to always apply to names.


no i mean soomething like konichiwa desu i kinda don get that part so plz explain
Moderator
11953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawai'i
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

trinhtrees97 wrote:

no i mean soomething like konichiwa desu i kinda don get that part so plz explain


The constant use of "desu"? Sometimes people will excessively use it to be either really, really polite and formal, or trying to be cute. It doesn't really have a translation.
Member
7144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / anime wonderland...
Offline
Posted 1/16/09

Ryukon wrote:


trinhtrees97 wrote:

no i mean soomething like konichiwa desu i kinda don get that part so plz explain


The constant use of "desu"? Sometimes people will excessively use it to be either really, really polite and formal, or trying to be cute. It doesn't really have a translation.


ohh ok thank you^^
Member
15899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 1/24/09
what about su? in pita ten that angel alwayse uses on her scentences - su , so...?
Moderator
11953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawai'i
Offline
Posted 1/24/09

kawai_yume wrote:

what about su? in pita ten that angel alwayse uses on her scentences - su , so...?


"su" isn't quite an honorific for this thread, but I'll answer the question anyway, lol.

"Su" (or the Katakana ス when written) is the abbreviation form of "desu". It's not really that common, as far as I know. It's a bit of a slang to say the least, used amongst kids, but mostly done by young boys. I don't think it's quite polite or a formal way of ending sentences either.
Member
15899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 1/25/09
ah ok , thanks
Posted 1/31/09 , edited 1/31/09
Oh..Interesting!Thanks for the info!

~Kawaii-chan
(lol small nickname)
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.