First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
The Childfree
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/5/08

touchzanaflexpens wrote:
I disagree with the whole "Biologically inclined to reproduce" If that was the case we would still have a mating season. As well as we would not need hospitals to watch over us as we actual spawning takes place. Remember people have been reproducing for millenniums, and hospitals have not always been around. Plus there is all sorts of other things, such as sentimentality. Most of the animals of this would seperate male and female, aside from mating. Because both sides do not see any use for the other side. Yet humans strive to find purpose in the opposite gender. People just use excuses like "Motherly instincts" to spawn. Instincts have not really existed in humans since we became self-aware.

But yes indeed, I will adopt me some kitties and call them my kids if I get nagged too much. That is if just living a lavish comfortable life in front of parents who make twice as much as me gets old.

LegendarySucker wrote:

So Mother Teressa was a selfish person? OH what about Leonardo Divinci? Arguably two people who were more selfless than any parent could hope to be.

But I do not see how being a parent makes you any less selfish? Well I guess the constant notion of living with less for 18 to 25 years would help. But correct me if I am wrong once the spawn have left the nest most "Parents" Live a very lavish life full of self-indulgence.

I also find it hard to believe that any parent could be unselfish, considering the motives that often times lead to spawning. You know stuff like passing on genes, or passing on the family name or money or instilling your beliefs in them. The very notion of saying "I want kids" implies you selfishly want something.

jestorebo wrote:
I love it when people say "children are our future", it means: a) I have no part of the future but also, b) I have no responsibility for the future.
^_^ Hence why I could not care less about my affects on the planet.

mangoku wrote:
It would take more than a generation for the world population to be halved. But there would be a noticeable decline in the population after 100 years or so, provided that people continue to die before the age of 100. But yes the economy would very well be affected, but would adapt with time. After all humanity always has a way to keep its ego.




jinhong91 wrote:
Indeed producing is not bad. The problem is that at the rate everyone produces having just 1 child can become over-producing.

How might no children be a sad thing, other then the inevitable extinction thing... which is better than you think.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 7/8/08 , edited 7/8/08
i think it's okay to choose not to have children...
it's just that...well..it's kind of "out of the norm"...
but that doesnt necessarily mean it's wrong and therefore should not be allowed...
i think everyone has the right and freedom to choose what they want to do with their lives......if a couple doesnt want to have children, so let them...

but...err...well...there are times when a couple decides to have children out of their own accord (and not just because it's required of them) ....i think that's okay, too...
1328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Closing in
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
Anti-freeze: mating season for humans is called spring. It is not so visual for humans because we don't do it on steppes and such to be filmed and put on nature programmes (at least people I know don't).
Your argument about hospitals is confusing. What is it supposed to prove? In ancient times people may have given birth anywhere, that's no reason for modern people to do so, although some don't go to the hospital. I fail to see your point.
Couples usually do NEED each other, practically (like division of duties) and financially. Animals that also do, keep together. That's nature. How we label it, is just semantics. Animals: instincts, humans: sociability, or whatever. Semantics.
Instincts show themselves when a sudden reaction takes place. Coffe spills, you move yourself instantly. That's instincts. Proves they do exist. Otherwise the process would call for a thought process: that is coffee, it is movie, solution: um..move. Instead the eyes recognize the coffee, sends the signal, and the brain tells the body "move" without any thought process.
3498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Nowheresville, MI
Offline
Posted 7/8/08 , edited 7/8/08
Like so many others, I'm going to pass on having kids. Childbirth is an amazing thing, for sure. My brother and my best friend have kids. Very normal and well behaved children. But at no point have I ever thought" You know, I want one of those too." Being a parent is a noble thing to me and I don't see kids as a burden. For me, having seen what goes in to raising a child, there's more involved than I'm willing to deal with. A person has to make a HUGE sacrifice when becoming a parent. And at this time I'm not willing to make it. Of course, should I happen to meet the "right" woman, this could change. But she'd have to be an amazing woman to get me to change my mind on this subject.........
571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 7/8/08 , edited 7/8/08
I don't see anything wrong with not having kids. I think the reason that especially the older generations of society seem to have a problem with it is that people have traditionally been taught "You grow up, you get married, you have children". It takes a long time to alter society's traditional beliefs, even slightly.

On the other hand, I have a problem with people who do the opposite: have too many kids. The world is overpopulated already, without families having 10+ kids.
Posted 7/8/08
Hmm, I've never encountered someone who considered not wanting children to be taboo... Maybe that's just because everyone seems to think I'd be a horrible parent. xD;

I don't really look forward to having kids, but I also don't really want to die alone... Also, unless you plan on never having sex or having a few things snipped(which, even that doesn't always work), there's always the risk, so...
Might as well have some reason to look forward to it just in case.

And I'm sure anyone who honestly wants children knows what having kids means outside of what they see on TV.

...I'm aware that this reply probably had nothing to do with the topic at all and I'm more than likely just babbling about nothing though.
Posted 7/9/08

anti-freeze wrote:


nahjong wrote:

I find that when people torment other people who have not made the same decisions they have makes that something taboo.

As for the whole lost our family thing. What is the old saying "You do not have to be blood to be family"?

Other then that you are telling me most people are just spawn because they cannot think of anything better to do?


Rest easy, everyone pulls a "Schopenhaurer". Or for a more modern (though not fucking at all) and crack addict twist: Rest easy, everyone fits into a "Sigmund Freud".

Personally, sex life would be ruined after child bearing/birthing. Srsly, who wants to throw a sausage down the english channel? I sure as fuck wouldn't. Extra-marital affairs, anyone?

79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/9/08

casualbrutality wrote:


Generally the sex life is ruined in the fact that your child is always in the way and always ready to potentially catch you. Haven't you ever heard of laser vaginal rejuvenation?

jestorebo wrote:
No, actually if humans were to have a mating season it would be 9 months before spring. We often times associate spring with mating because all the flowers are coming out. But in actuality if humans all mated during spring that would mean that most people would be born in the winter. It is hard enough for a human to spawn, being in the cold would only make that worse, and chances are the child would not survive.

True instincts do protect us from harm. But we have no natural instincts. We have learned instincts, I guess. Because if you were handed a cup of scalding hot water but was not informed it was hot. When that water spilled you would not move. Our instincts are based on pre-existing knowledge, that we learned from an experience. Those are not instincts, instincts are something you just know how to do without being told anything.

Nikkibuu wrote:

Hmm, I've never encountered someone who considered not wanting children to be taboo... Maybe that's just because everyone seems to think I'd be a horrible parent. xD;

I don't really look forward to having kids, but I also don't really want to die alone... Also, unless you plan on never having sex or having a few things snipped(which, even that doesn't always work), there's always the risk, so...
Might as well have some reason to look forward to it just in case.

And I'm sure anyone who honestly wants children knows what having kids means outside of what they see on TV.

...I'm aware that this reply probably had nothing to do with the topic at all and I'm more than likely just babbling about nothing though.
You are just not public enough with your beliefs, or you do not realize the implications that people have with they say "I thought the same thing when I was your age"

As for being snipped, that is actually FAR more effective in males then it is in females. And i intend to get snipped in the next 2 or 3 years. But the never having sex thing is not to hard either. I mean when I am not here I am playing video games. Sex actually takes effort to obtain, for males anyway.



Posted 7/9/08



I see your point but you are also wrong. Individuals not wanting to have children in todays society are labeled diversed or callow and in my opinion those who judge are just ignorant. Society can't tell you how to live your life but still they insist you change or stay "immature" and it gets irritating. Though on the other hand, you are just as wrong as the people who label you when you say "children serve only as a burden to the parents". Now I don't have children but I am sure this statement isn't entirely true. Tv fabricates the reality as you said, but many people can indicate the good points in having children and not coming from the people who label you.
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/9/08

richiiieee wrote:




I see your point but you are also wrong. Individuals not wanting to have children in todays society are labeled diversed or callow and in my opinion those who judge are just ignorant. Society can't tell you how to live your life but still they insist you change or stay "immature" and it gets irritating. Though on the other hand, you are just as wrong as the people who label you when you say "children serve only as a burden to the parents". Now I don't have children but I am sure this statement isn't entirely true. Tv fabricates the reality as you said, but many people can indicate the good points in having children and not coming from the people who label you.
Uhhh geez taking the high road gets old really fast, trust me I did it for 15 years.

And as far as I have seen there is only one good point to spawning, TAX BREAK!!!! Seriously having kids will get you a decent sized tax deduction, here in the states. Otherwise all benefits are purely emotional and require some kind of need or desire for sentimentality. Well unless you count riding all of your spawns accomplishments.

Posted 7/9/08

anti-freeze wrote:


richiiieee wrote:




I see your point but you are also wrong. Individuals not wanting to have children in todays society are labeled diversed or callow and in my opinion those who judge are just ignorant. Society can't tell you how to live your life but still they insist you change or stay "immature" and it gets irritating. Though on the other hand, you are just as wrong as the people who label you when you say "children serve only as a burden to the parents". Now I don't have children but I am sure this statement isn't entirely true. Tv fabricates the reality as you said, but many people can indicate the good points in having children and not coming from the people who label you.
Uhhh geez taking the high road gets old really fast, trust me I did it for 15 years.

And as far as I have seen there is only one good point to spawning, TAX BREAK!!!! Seriously having kids will get you a decent sized tax deduction, here in the states. Otherwise all benefits are purely emotional and require some kind of need or desire for sentimentality. Well unless you count riding all of your spawns accomplishments.




You do get a tax break but not alot unless you have alot of children. But seriously having children isn't as bad as you think it may be. From your tone it sounds like your refering to a conversation you had with your parents in the past and the told you all the stressful things they had to do for you.
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/9/08

richiiieee wrote:

You do get a tax break but not alot unless you have alot of children. But seriously having children isn't as bad as you think it may be. From your tone it sounds like your refering to a conversation you had with your parents in the past and the told you all the stressful things they had to do for you.
No it is a conversation I have had with people in general. Sadly for all of you who think I am just indiscriminatly hating kids, you are wrong. Back when I was a boy scout I ran a den of Cub Scouts, elementry school kids, as well as I worked at a summer camp for 4 years, 1 year of which I was dedicated to cub scouts. Trust me I have more experience with children then 90% of parents who get the results of their first pregnancy test.

But if kids are not that bad. Please give me some benefits to them. And stuff like "They make you feel all warm inside" and "You just love to watch them grow" or other sappy lies parents tell themselves do not count.

Posted 7/9/08 , edited 7/9/08

anti-freeze wrote:


richiiieee wrote:

You do get a tax break but not alot unless you have alot of children. But seriously having children isn't as bad as you think it may be. From your tone it sounds like your refering to a conversation you had with your parents in the past and the told you all the stressful things they had to do for you.
No it is a conversation I have had with people in general. Sadly for all of you who think I am just indiscriminatly hating kids, you are wrong. Back when I was a boy scout I ran a den of Cub Scouts, elementry school kids, as well as I worked at a summer camp for 4 years, 1 year of which I was dedicated to cub scouts. Trust me I have more experience with children then 90% of parents who get the results of their first pregnancy test.

But if kids are not that bad. Please give me some benefits to them. And stuff like "They make you feel all warm inside" and "You just love to watch them grow" or other sappy lies parents tell themselves do not count.




Oh I see. So I won't sit here and tell you that love between a child and its parent is unconditional or anything sappy of the sort. But I'll say this, compared to all the children you've been with none were your own. Maybe if you accidentally get a child in the future you'll see that something you've spawned is different from a strangers. Maybe you'll like teaching a son of your own how to play sports.
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/10/08

richiiieee wrote:




Oh I see. So I won't sit here and tell you that love between a child and its parent is unconditional or anything sappy of the sort. But I'll say this, compared to all the children you've been with none were your own. Maybe if you accidentally get a child in the future you'll see that something you've spawned is different from a strangers. Maybe you'll like teaching a son of your own how to play sports. Oh right that whole "Its mine so I better enjoy it" kind of thing. Lucky for me I do not fine the one thing that 99% of humans in existence can do during their life to be a fascinating thing. Plus I have every intention of physically replicating what would happen to the life I wanted to live should an "Accident" happen. Because nothing short of an act of god will make spawn.

Posted 7/10/08

anti-freeze wrote:


richiiieee wrote:




Oh I see. So I won't sit here and tell you that love between a child and its parent is unconditional or anything sappy of the sort. But I'll say this, compared to all the children you've been with none were your own. Maybe if you accidentally get a child in the future you'll see that something you've spawned is different from a strangers. Maybe you'll like teaching a son of your own how to play sports.


Oh right that whole "Its mine so I better enjoy it" kind of thing. Lucky for me I do not fine the one thing that 99% of humans in existence can do during their life to be a fascinating thing. Plus I have every intention of physically replicating what would happen to the life I wanted to live should an "Accident" happen. Because nothing short of an act of god will make spawn.




Oh damn. I seems you have more of hate for children more than them just being a burden. Then live free without them
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.