First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you think America should legalize Marijuana?
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/28/10



The leading scientists on Drug abuse has already pointed out that both Beer, and Cigarettes are a larger Gateway drug than Marijuana. At that..... I have a friend who Are Scientist who spent there younger years as what you call a pot head. He still smokes, yet he is one of the most brilliant people I know.
'Do not blame marijuana for something she was most likely going to do no matter what.'
she most likely did marijuana do to peer pressure, she most likely got into the heavy drugs do to the same thing! PEER PRESSURE not because of pot. That is just Scapegoating. One of the major mistakes people make is listening to propaganda type scapegoating.
Example: 99%of all pregnant people in the world have at one time in there life eaten Ice cream, And so Ice cream leads to pregnancy. This is the same scapegoating propaganda that is used to say Marijuana is bad!






Um, no. You would have to know my sister to understand that peer pressure is not something that she suffers from. No one makes her do anything she does not want to do. Basically she did it once to spite my parents and got hooked on the high. It was all down hill from there.

Your scapegoating "pregnancy" illustration is a bit much especially since it does not compare to what has been said and the evidence at all.

As far as the example you gave of your friend, consider this: my husband has an uncle that smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day for most of his life (60 years). But by some miracle he does not have lung cancer. Does that mean that cigarette smoke is not the cause of lung cancer? No, it just means that in his particular case he was fortunate enough not to have gotten it. I know plenty of other people who smoked who have gotten lung cancer -- and died from it. I know plenty of people who smoke marijuana, and some of them are hooked on it. They're anxious for break time to come so they can sneak a joint. Their idea of fun is getting together on a day off and getting high. They waste money on it. Their lives even seem to revolve around it, but they claim not to be addicted.

As far as tobacco and alcohol go, it's my opinion that they never should have been legalized in the first place. Certainly they are gateways to further substance abuse, but so is marijuana.

Here are some scientific findings to check out since you were not happy with my other sources: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090805110741.htm , http://www.alexarends.com/Marijuana%20as%20Medicine.pdf , http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/nas/dangers.htm

191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / USA NC
Offline
Posted 1/28/10
of couse not! crime is all ready high enough!
21973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/28/10
No
Lots of people from all of the world come to Amsterdam (Holland) because soft drugs is legal here
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / cali
Offline
Posted 1/28/10

meezermex wrote:


hreoloenney wrote:

I think yes, because when it's legalized, then people don't have to hide it... and those who do use marijuana now can pay tax when it is legalized.
But because it is legalized, those who used to hide it, won't want to do it as much because it is legalized.
That's what I think.


Your logic is okay, but the problem is that legalizing something dangerous doesn't really lower its general consumption. Look at alcohol and cigarettes. Alcohol used to be illegal in the US but because of an argument similar to yours it no longer is. In spite of growing alcoholism among younger and younger people and the increase of deaths due to alcohol having a beer with buddies or wine with supper it seen as socially acceptable -- under some circumstances people even feel pressured into partaking because of their peers.

Marijuana is a dangerous and addictive drug. It is also the first step toward hard drugs. If we legalize marijuana, what's next ? the legalization of cocaine? crystal meth? etc.? I've heard so many young people say "Ah marijuana's not addictive -- I can quit any time I want." Yet when it comes right down to it they don't quit, and they slowly get dumber and dumber. It's not something noticeable for a long time, but as their brain cells continue to die of suffocation with each use it eventually effects their ability to think and reason.

My younger sister started on marijuana when she was 17. By the time she was 18 she was using cocaine and LSD. By the time she was 19 she was hooked on crystal meth. By the time she was 20 she had been in and out of jail for possession and just being in the wrong place at the wrong time -- oh, and all of her teeth had rotted in her head from the drug use. SO by the time she was 21 she had full dentures and was in rehab for 8 months. Thankfully she's been clean for 5 years now. But seeing her go through all that -- seeing my parents go through all that -- really solidified this idea that not even "soft" drugs should be legal.

On a final note -- Just beacuse something is legal, doesn't make it right!


you're right. just because something is legal doesn't make it right. I never said legalizing marijuana would make it right. there are many educational programs to educate people that drugs are "bad". so why do so many people use it? peer pressure? People are informed of its dangers, but why do they still do it (not including medical reasons)??
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/29/10

hreoloenney wrote:


meezermex wrote:



you're right. just because something is legal doesn't make it right. I never said legalizing marijuana would make it right. there are many educational programs to educate people that drugs are "bad". so why do so many people use it? peer pressure? People are informed of its dangers, but why do they still do it (not including medical reasons)??


Personally (in the case of my sister), I think drug abuse can begin because of the age-old simple reason of rebellion. In her case she did it because she has always had authority issues, and she had finally managed to make our parents lives enough of a living hell that they let her move out. She moved out of the house and then suddenly there wasn't anybody to ask her where she was going, what she was doing, who she was with, etc. So someone who had always rebelled against authority found herself with exactly what she had always wanted -- she went wild. All those years of careful training, instruction and discipline went flying out the window. If someone really wants to do wrong then they will find a way to do it -- they will not listen to reason or the facts simply because they have decided that what they want is right and what anybody else says is wrong.

No one likes to be told that they are wrong. For some reason (perhaps because of new societal beliefs about child rearing) people are growing up more self-centered than they were say 50 years ago -- it's all about my desires now, my goals now, my dreams now, my career now as opposed to what is best for me in the long run, my family and those around me. I'm not saying that all people are like that just that it is a growing trend. So basically because people are more focused on fulfilling the desire that they want for themselves they shrug off the warnings about the consequences on their lives, their health, and the affects of their actions on others -- yes, what I'm saying is that some people do drugs simply because they are selfish and inconsiderate. This may sound overly critical or even judgmental, but this is actually based on my sister's opinion -- a former drug addict. This is what she now says about herself and her druggie "friends."

If as you agree marijuana or any othe drug use or abuse is wrong then why on earth should it ever be made legal? If legalizing it does not make it right then why should we actively support (by making it legal) something that is against our principles? Legalizing marijuana would send an inconsistent message -- just as the regulation of tobacco and the legalization and regulation of alcohol has done. The majority of people do not smoke, yet second-hand smoke gives many people lung cancer. In spite of this adverse affect on innocent bystanders and in spite of all the educational programs teaching the dangers smokers still continue smoking simply because they want to. The consumption of alcohol is a similar situation. It is legal and acceptable to society, yet many people still suffer from alcoholism, many people are still innocent victims of someone else's drunk driving. Alcohol's one redeeming feature is that in small quantities and when mixed with other medications it is medicinal (eg -- cough syrup). But alcohol drunk for its own sake is dangerous: it clouds the mind, the senses, distorts the personality, erases memories, and has various documented adverse physical effects.

Marijuana is just as dangerous as alcohol and tobacco if not more so. Yet when the evidence is presented to some people they outright deny it because the source may be from the government. They state that such evidence is not "scientific," and deny it all together. There is a lot of new scientific evidence out there that proves that it is dangerous, but there are also a lot of websites that promote marijuana claiming that they have scientific evidence. Who do you believe? In my case I tend to believe those whose agenda in my opinion and from my experience is less self-destructive (eg -- the government and its scientists).

Anyway, sorry for giving such a long answer. I'm "chronically verbose."

14083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Wouldn't you like...
Offline
Posted 1/29/10
I'm...not sure. but according to a t.v. show.. legalizing it would reduce crime rates. >.>
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / cali
Offline
Posted 1/29/10

meezermex wrote:


Personally (in the case of my sister), I think drug abuse can begin because of the age-old simple reason of rebellion. In her case she did it because she has always had authority issues, and she had finally managed to make our parents lives enough of a living hell that they let her move out. She moved out of the house and then suddenly there wasn't anybody to ask her where she was going, what she was doing, who she was with, etc. So someone who had always rebelled against authority found herself with exactly what she had always wanted -- she went wild. All those years of careful training, instruction and discipline went flying out the window. If someone really wants to do wrong then they will find a way to do it -- they will not listen to reason or the facts simply because they have decided that what they want is right and what anybody else says is wrong.

No one likes to be told that they are wrong. For some reason (perhaps because of new societal beliefs about child rearing) people are growing up more self-centered than they were say 50 years ago -- it's all about my desires now, my goals now, my dreams now, my career now as opposed to what is best for me in the long run, my family and those around me. I'm not saying that all people are like that just that it is a growing trend. So basically because people are more focused on fulfilling the desire that they want for themselves they shrug off the warnings about the consequences on their lives, their health, and the affects of their actions on others -- yes, what I'm saying is that some people do drugs simply because they are selfish and inconsiderate. This may sound overly critical or even judgmental, but this is actually based on my sister's opinion -- a former drug addict. This is what she now says about herself and her druggie "friends."

If as you agree marijuana or any othe drug use or abuse is wrong then why on earth should it ever be made legal? If legalizing it does not make it right then why should we actively support (by making it legal) something that is against our principles? Legalizing marijuana would send an inconsistent message -- just as the regulation of tobacco and the legalization and regulation of alcohol has done. The majority of people do not smoke, yet second-hand smoke gives many people lung cancer. In spite of this adverse affect on innocent bystanders and in spite of all the educational programs teaching the dangers smokers still continue smoking simply because they want to. The consumption of alcohol is a similar situation. It is legal and acceptable to society, yet many people still suffer from alcoholism, many people are still innocent victims of someone else's drunk driving. Alcohol's one redeeming feature is that in small quantities and when mixed with other medications it is medicinal (eg -- cough syrup). But alcohol drunk for its own sake is dangerous: it clouds the mind, the senses, distorts the personality, erases memories, and has various documented adverse physical effects.

Marijuana is just as dangerous as alcohol and tobacco if not more so. Yet when the evidence is presented to some people they outright deny it because the source may be from the government. They state that such evidence is not "scientific," and deny it all together. There is a lot of new scientific evidence out there that proves that it is dangerous, but there are also a lot of websites that promote marijuana claiming that they have scientific evidence. Who do you believe? In my case I tend to believe those whose agenda in my opinion and from my experience is less self-destructive (eg -- the government and its scientists).

Anyway, sorry for giving such a long answer. I'm "chronically verbose."




Okay so you said why on earth should drugs or any abuse should be ever made legal. This is what I'm telling you... It is up to the people. As you mentioned before, alcohol prohibition in 1920 didn't stop people from getting their hands on alcohol, instead it created a much bigger mess with gangsters and bootlegging. Well that didn't work so I'm saying even if it's wrong... people are going to find ways to do what's wrong (as you mentioned) and it will probably reduce crime rates. If people want it, they'll do it. I never said man was perfect and that they won't make mistakes so if they want to harm themselves for selfish stupid reasons then let them, but I don't think there is a real harm in trying. IF there is harm.. then do what they did with alcohol. Prohibit it.
hahaha
Just because it isn't legal doesn't mean people aren't doing it as much even if it were.

So I'm just going to drop it since you obviously don't hear me out. Anyway your long essay wasn't necessary since your point is already clear.
Posted 1/29/10
No, if America legalizes marijuana it makes it seem as though marijuana is okay and sort of promotes it. So NO.
Posted 1/30/10
you like marijuana, dont you~?
79494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / PHILIPPINES
Offline
Posted 1/30/10
hell no. i hate smoke.
Posted 1/30/10
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/31/10
hreoleonney,

Sure, I heard you out. I simply don't agree -- that doesn't mean I don't understand what you're saying. My point is that what's wrong is wrong. Period.

Doing anything that could promote wrong to get a "positive" outcome is wrong. Period.

What I'm going to say may seem extreme, but I'm considering the long term side effects. Your argument could be applied to anything we now consider a crime. The legalization of marijuana is just the next step down a slippery slope to anarchy. The first step was the removal of the prohibition of alcohol. I prefer to stay at the top of the hill as far away from the afore-mentioned further degeneration of society as possible, thank you.

Now, do you get my point? Your previous answers don't seem to indicate that you did.
15965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / land of the risin...
Offline
Posted 1/31/10
yes, it should be legalized not just in America but in all country.
Posted 1/31/10
nope
17892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/1/10
I cannot believe what I am reading! Doesn't anyone out there do any research before leaving these ignorant comments? Marajuana is currently being used as a painkiller, treatment of depression, asthma, heart disease, cancer patients and the list goes on. Former studies have shown that prolonged marajuana use can cause short term memory loss, and that there is approx 500 more carcinogens than in that of cigarettes. However, having said that, these are very old studies...1970's to be exact! Come on into the future people, there are new, current studies that suggest just the opposite. Can you become addicted to marajuana? Studies now show that only 9% of people tested (out of 7000 test subjects) became dependent on marajuana (www.gale.com/greenhaven, pg 20), so there goes that theory out the window. Next is...is marajuana a gateway drug? Studies from the 1970's have shown that 70% of youth (18-21) that tried marajuana, only 20% went on to try other harder drugs (Opposing Viewpoints Series, pg 23). What happened to the other 50%? There goes that theory out the window, and that is from old statistics. Let's look at some new stats...Marinol (a synthetic cannabinoid made from marajuana) is used to treat AIDS patients, nausea, and migraines (Wishna, 2004). In 2003, a 3 year study was performed on 600 patients with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) some of the patients showed no improvement, but the majority (78%) showed a vast improvement, with one man throwing away his Vicodin, after he no longer needed the narcotic (Wishna, 2004). What about the side effects of narcotics (Morphine and Opium), marajuana has no known side effects! Incidently, narcotics are very addictive, and dangerous. You can die from their use and/or misuse! How many people do you know that have died from marajuana use? NONE! That's right...none. Although giving a child medical marajuana for Autism may not be an ethical thing to do, it is the right thing to do medically.


Learn the facts!!!


http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/23/earlyshow/health/main5748637.shtml
http://www.ktla.com/news/extras/ktla-sweeps-sams-story,0,6959760.story
http://www.showmethefacts.org/medical-marijuana-facts/autism/
http://www.autism-pdd.net/testdump/test13417.htm
http://www.csdp.org/

There are a lot of stereotypes on Marijuana do to government sanction corporations making millions on having marijuana illegal. wen looking at the real research there (government run agenda groups) reports and remarks on marijuana false claim fall apart.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.