First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Why don't people sub/watch/like mainland dramas?
16058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/08 , edited 7/8/08
Sure, mainland doesn't usually produce "idol dramas," but they still have some, like the Butterfly Lovers, Good Morning, Shanghai, Bratty Princess, Warriors of the Yang Clan, and the Lotus Lantern.

But wuxia dramas are so awesome! Just because they were set in the old times doesn't mean they don't have drama, romance, humor, etc...and Jin Yong's stories are so popular in Asia!

They also have so many amazing historical fiction dramas based on real events, like Han Wu Da Di, Kang Xi Wang Chao, Da Zhai Men, etc.

So why don't people on the internet sub/watch/like mainland dramas?
4800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Shun's room--feel...
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
I don't watch because I don't know a lot of the actors.
I mostly watch TVB dramas since I have been growing up with them.
The ancient settings don't appeal to me either.
I guess it gives off an "old mood."

Idol dramas are more popular since idols are known throughout.
They seem to be younger and "hotter" than the actors/actresses in mainland dramas.
I don't know a lot of mainland actors, but they seem old too.
Even the names of mainland dramas sound old and boring.

Just my opinion! I'm not criticizing, jut my thoughts [=
21973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
Because they don't know how much enjoyable wuxia dramas are ..
I really like historical dramas, i think they should sub mainland dramas more! =]
47470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
Well, I don't watch them because they're not subbed, actually, I probably wouldn't watch them if they were.
I tried to watch Semi-gods... (I forgot the rest lol), but failed to get past the 3rd episode.
I do enjoy historical dramas though, just not Chinese.
925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / 岬町
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
i don't watch historical ones becoz most of them are quite long-winded and too in-depth, makes it difficult to understand..
but i do watch wuxia dramas like Hua Mu Lan, Feng Yun, Chinese Paladin, Shu Jian En Chou Lu (Jin Yong)
and non-wuxia would be the famous drama in the late 90s- My Fair Princess and its following sequel..
i am looking forward to Hu Ge's Legend of the Condor Heroes =D

other than that, i guess most of us are more crazy about Japanese and Korean dramas, with much more attractive, younger and cute/handsome/pretty actors and actresses than the ones Mainland dramas offer
143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Irvine, CA
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
I find the mainland dramas drag on too long, though that could be said for general Chinese dramas. Jdramas tend to last up to 12 episodes, Kdrama is at about 25ish, but Chinese is like 30+.
16058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/08

jebusxjuice wrote:

Well, I don't watch them because they're not subbed, actually, I probably wouldn't watch them if they were.
I tried to watch Semi-gods... (I forgot the rest lol), but failed to get past the 3rd episode.
I do enjoy historical dramas though, just not Chinese.


Aww, you haven't even met my favorite character in that series yet...

I think part of the problem with wuxia dramas is that they're so famous in China that they assume people will finish the whole thing before judging, so the beginning are always dull but essential parts of the plot. Personally, Jin Yong wuxia dramas remind me of a lot of classic novels (Dickens, Catch-22)...the beginning is sooooooo long and draggy, but set up the scene for the beauty of the entire work.

47470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 7/8/08

idarklight wrote:


jebusxjuice wrote:

Well, I don't watch them because they're not subbed, actually, I probably wouldn't watch them if they were.
I tried to watch Semi-gods... (I forgot the rest lol), but failed to get past the 3rd episode.
I do enjoy historical dramas though, just not Chinese.


Aww, you haven't even met my favorite character in that series yet...

I think part of the problem with wuxia dramas is that they're so famous in China that they assume people will finish the whole thing before judging, so the beginning are always dull but essential parts of the plot. Personally, Jin Yong wuxia dramas remind me of a lot of classic novels (Dickens, Catch-22)...the beginning is sooooooo long and draggy, but set up the scene for the beauty of the entire work.



Ok, I may have another go at that drama then, but if the beginning is boring, I lose interest so easily, but I will watch it, and wait for the best part to come :D. & hopefully, I won't be disappointed.

12158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / ╰☆ 没有黑暗の地方╭☆
Offline
Posted 7/8/08

windyskies wrote:

I find the mainland dramas drag on too long, though that could be said for general Chinese dramas. Jdramas tend to last up to 12 episodes, Kdrama is at about 25ish, but Chinese is like 30+.


Actually...that's not true. Sure jdramas are the shortest but Kdramas, especially the historical dramas are 100+ or even 200+ while most mainland dramas range between 20-40 episodes. I love historical dramas cause the plots are amazing. However, I somehow think Mainland dramas are made for mainland people to watch...don't ask me why...just a hunch.
1934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
b/c my dad is into ancient dramas like that
i seen a few growing up
and though they are good some even great
most of the times
they are long and draggy
though it usually ends alright
and i dont even know mainland actors/actress
so you dont get that must watching feeling
and also i like learning about ancient chinese history
i really do
i just hate waching stuff about ancient times
i dont know why
i just cant get myself to relate to it
3655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / in yur dark heart
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
i think dat because ........its ancient and ppl actually fly and do stuffs....................
7441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your bed. S...
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
Well, I really don't know lots of actors/actresses of them.....
But i don't really like the ancient kind.
because my mom loves to watch those kind of stuff, i usually see flying o.O
The fighting scenes don't really look to realistic, usually its like suppose to be close to magic. I tryt o watch the one with the sub, but i never actually watch them. I always watch the Cambodian Dubbed Version, and Believe me, If your watched the Dubbed Version. You will not want to watch it.
233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Canada, British C...
Offline
Posted 7/8/08
i don't actually mind mainland dramas but sometimes, they can just be TOO cheesy. i watched this mainland show once (cuz my dad bought it when he went to china and i had nothing else to watch) and it was the CHEESIET drama i ever watched in my life! it was SOOO not funny (they tried WAY too hard) that it WAS funny and the acting from the main guy was TERRIBLE!!! i think wuxia dramas are very well done tho, even the ones with stupid annoying old guys that are always like master! master!
47470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Birmingham
Offline
Posted 7/9/08

idarklight wrote:

Sure, mainland doesn't usually produce "idol dramas," but they still have some, like the Butterfly Lovers, Good Morning, Shanghai, Bratty Princess, Warriors of the Yang Clan, and the Lotus Lantern.

But wuxia dramas are so awesome! Just because they were set in the old times doesn't mean they don't have drama, romance, humor, etc...and Jin Yong's stories are so popular in Asia!

They also have so many amazing historical fiction dramas based on real events, like Han Wu Da Di, Kang Xi Wang Chao, Da Zhai Men, etc.

So why don't people on the internet sub/watch/like mainland dramas?


Right, after now seeing the next few episodes of Demi-Gods...., I am fully addicted to it, it's just so magical :D.
I think Crystal Liu is amazing, so I plan to watch Return Of Condor Heroes afterwards (or maybe with the drama, depending on how impatient I am)
Do you have any other wuxia reccomendations? I think this may be my new addiction lol.
413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/08
i luv wuxia dramas. i grew up watching tvb. i used to watch only historical dramas before i began watching idol ones. they have romance, action, suspense, betrayal, etc all in one lol! I really cant wait to watch Legend of the COndor Heroes. Its my most anticipated drama yet
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.