Post Reply God doesn't 'help those who help themselves'
Member
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/10/08
He helps those who are helpless. :)

Moderator
10834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Mare Serenitatis...
Offline
Posted 7/12/08
yeah everyone quotes that like it's scripture. But it's not. Ben Franklin said that.
Moderator
14744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / FL. But, I (May...
Offline
Posted 7/15/08

BloodlyRoses wrote:

yeah everyone quotes that like it's scripture. But it's not. Ben Franklin said that.


I didnt Know that (well I knew the quote wasnt in the Bible).... :mellow:
Moderator
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / southern california
Offline
Posted 7/16/08
I believe it's false. That's like me saying Christ will help me because I said He should. That's not how it works, the implication lies with, if you pray without ceasing and take action, there is a chance your prayer will be answered but it is in God's time-frame not our own. so you may think you want that new job or think a certain way, but it is not God's will if it doesn't happen. Just because you accept Christ, doesn't mean you can command him like a pokemon. He works with and through you, not for you.
Member
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/20/08
He works for your good, but it's not to our way. His way is the best anyway.
Moderator
14744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / FL. But, I (May...
Offline
Posted 7/20/08

Faeleia wrote:

He works for your good, but it's not to our way. His way is the best anyway.


AMEN
Member
8001 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Columbia, Maryland
Offline
Posted 7/29/08
That's a lesson I learned the hard way. I spent a whole year and a half trying to find God and get closer to Him on my own. I kept thinking that the more scriptures I read, the longer and more eloquently I prayed and so on and so forth, God would just eventually notice what I was doing and make Himself known to me, but in the end, I felt further and further away the harder I tried. One night, I just gave up and subconsciously prayed, "God, I admit it. I'm nothing. I don't deserve You. I can't even make myself draw closer to you, so please, Lord, if it's Your will, make Yourself truly known to me, so that I can truly serve You the way You want me to." Ever since then, it's like the Lord has never been far away, but after all, He never is.
Moderator
5694 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/30/08
Amen!
One thing I learned recently is that nomatter what you do God isn't going to work through you or in you until you have a humble and searching heart. We can't do anything to deserve him and anyone who does God's work for fame or name's-sake won't get very far. =(

James 4:10
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and he will lift you up.
Moderator
14744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / FL. But, I (May...
Offline
Posted 7/31/08

darklion wrote:

That's a lesson I learned the hard way. I spent a whole year and a half trying to find God and get closer to Him on my own. I kept thinking that the more scriptures I read, the longer and more eloquently I prayed and so on and so forth, God would just eventually notice what I was doing and make Himself known to me, but in the end, I felt further and further away the harder I tried. One night, I just gave up and subconsciously prayed, "God, I admit it. I'm nothing. I don't deserve You. I can't even make myself draw closer to you, so please, Lord, if it's Your will, make Yourself truly known to me, so that I can truly serve You the way You want me to." Ever since then, it's like the Lord has never been far away, but after all, He never is.


Thats IT, you got it. God, I admit it. I'm nothing. I don't deserve You
You must be logged in to post.