First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
What do you think is the difference between an Otaku and an Anime lover?
1151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/23/08 , edited 9/23/08
My opinion (and definition) of an Otaku is someone who isn't obsessed with Anime (that my friends is a FANBOY or a Narutard.), but is someone who knows about the ins and outs of it. Someone who doesn't look at anime through animation, but it's quality, and will experiment with anything that's cheap enough to buy.
1014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / philippines
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
i dunno lol
Posted 9/23/08
to me i think an otaku is obsessed with anime, manga, games, to the extreme that they become anti-social, spurlge on fugurines, manga books, animes etc. n they dont jon with ppl, always stay at home n fantasise themselve in anime world..

well, i'm not an otaku, and i don wanna be one!! i'm a 100% anime lover, i did spurlge on anime (but those dvd tat's too expensiv i'd still wont buy it) and tat's all, i don buy figurines, manga, cosplay... but i din hate those who like it though.. i enjoy watching ppl cosplay...
Posted 9/23/08

CherryScented wrote:


pheryllt wrote:

I've watched lots (100+) of anime, but I wouldn't call myself an otaku. I think to be an otaku you have to be purely obsessed with anime/manga/cosplay/japan. The people who are so engrossed in it that most other things in thier life fail in comparison are otakus. The people who love anime/manga cuz it has some of the best shows/stories they have ever watched or read are just anime/manga lovers, kinda like people who love Horror or Thriller movies/books. Thats my thought on the difference.


That's basically my view on it too. I've seen a lot of anime, but I'd never become obsessed with it, as if it was the greatest thing ever.



yeah, i agree too...
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/23/08

DragonMark wrote:

My opinion (and definition) of an Otaku is someone who isn't obsessed with Anime (that my friends is a FANBOY or a Narutard.), but is someone who knows about the ins and outs of it. Someone who doesn't look at anime through animation, but it's quality, and will experiment with anything that's cheap enough to buy.


Is it really that by definition? I really did think it just referred to someone who's obsessive.


237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / around the next c...
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
well if you take it literally otaku means house the term not used often to define otaku's is aniota (anime + otaku)
either way otaku are more obssessed than your regular anime lovers
pie159 
5590 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Your mom
Offline
Posted 9/23/08 , edited 9/23/08
I see it as they are almost or are obsessed with it. They buy action figures, plushies,manga. DVD, t-shirts,posters, they cosplay, and they become a little anti-social.

I remember seeing this old guy[50+] at the mall in Walden Books getting this whole stack of Fruit Basket manga[there were like 30 of them he had] and I was buying this one manga and he look at me and said "I wouldn't start, or you'll become like me and have to buy everything about that show." That was a true otaku.


Anime lovers watch it when they have time and also do a lot of other things in their free time[example: I dance and write, Someelse might play soccer or hang out with friends and do paint ball, ect.] Most don't buy a lot of anime produces[I see it as a waste of money] and if they do its one or two things. Not a whole collection.
1255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
Depends on what your room looks like.

1151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/23/08 , edited 9/23/08

CherryScented wrote:


DragonMark wrote:

My opinion (and definition) of an Otaku is someone who isn't obsessed with Anime (that my friends is a FANBOY or a Narutard.), but is someone who knows about the ins and outs of it. Someone who doesn't look at anime through animation, but it's quality, and will experiment with anything that's cheap enough to buy.


Is it really that by definition? I really did think it just referred to someone who's obsessive.


It's my definition. A Fanboy is someone who hates on people who hate on their favorite shows and copy silly catchphrases.

And Otaku (IMO) is a step above "fan", in which they don't just stick to what's on TV or what's popular. I also think that they don't let DVD prices stop them from getting what they want. (But that's just me)

593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / somewhere there
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
otaku... can be more obssessed and can become crazier in terms of anime... the extreme of the extreme of being a fan.

anime lover is more of a like and a hobby but not really obssessed and die if they dont have any dose of anime in day o_o
Posted 9/23/08
The difference between an anime lover and an otaku is 5 letters and one tap of the space bar.
8000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / california
Offline
Posted 9/23/08
otakus sacrificed their souls
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/25/08

DragonMark wrote:


CherryScented wrote:


DragonMark wrote:

My opinion (and definition) of an Otaku is someone who isn't obsessed with Anime (that my friends is a FANBOY or a Narutard.), but is someone who knows about the ins and outs of it. Someone who doesn't look at anime through animation, but it's quality, and will experiment with anything that's cheap enough to buy.


Is it really that by definition? I really did think it just referred to someone who's obsessive.


It's my definition. A Fanboy is someone who hates on people who hate on their favorite shows and copy silly catchphrases.

And Otaku (IMO) is a step above "fan", in which they don't just stick to what's on TV or what's popular. I also think that they don't let DVD prices stop them from getting what they want. (But that's just me)




Oooh, okay. I thought you were saying it's your opinion and the actual definition at first.
Oh, god. I let the prices of DVDs stop it's just so unaffordable sometime, especially when a series is long.

447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Anime World xD
Offline
Posted 9/25/08
Im a Half otaku
1151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/25/08

CherryScented wrote:


DragonMark wrote:


CherryScented wrote:


DragonMark wrote:

My opinion (and definition) of an Otaku is someone who isn't obsessed with Anime (that my friends is a FANBOY or a Narutard.), but is someone who knows about the ins and outs of it. Someone who doesn't look at anime through animation, but it's quality, and will experiment with anything that's cheap enough to buy.


Is it really that by definition? I really did think it just referred to someone who's obsessive.


It's my definition. A Fanboy is someone who hates on people who hate on their favorite shows and copy silly catchphrases.

And Otaku (IMO) is a step above "fan", in which they don't just stick to what's on TV or what's popular. I also think that they don't let DVD prices stop them from getting what they want. (But that's just me)




Oooh, okay. I thought you were saying it's your opinion and the actual definition at first.
Oh, god. I let the prices of DVDs stop it's just so unaffordable sometime, especially when a series is long.

Now, that is what differs. An Otaku IMO would be into the (DM-made ) theory of "Anime experimentalism", in which they would try any series they never knew out. "Detonator Orgun? WTF, I'll buy that USED."

And agreed on the last sentence. However, I just save and save till I can afford it used, lol.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.