First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Bad Summaries and Korean movies and Drama's
3438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/31/08 , edited 7/31/08

Dim_Sum_King wrote:


pandabear104 wrote:


Dim_Sum_King wrote:

I'm not a fan of Korean dramas.
-There's just too much drama. You think Days of Our Lives or As the World Turns is dramatic? Obviously you've never watched Stairway to Heaven. Cancer, eyeball transplants, car accidents, evil bitches..the whole shebang and you haven't even seen the end of it.




-The girls are always hotter than the guys (no homo, I don't care about the guys )



-Everyone cries. The guys are demanned very badly. It's almost sad. The girls usually tend to be spineless people who can't live without men. They are fragile china dolls combined with a never ending fountain spewing of tears. I can't stand the crying in every other episode. There are other healthier ways to channel out their feelings. And to be honest, I crack up most of the time thinking back on the emo parts.



Next time you pick up a dvd box for a Korean drama and the summary isn't in English, no worries. I assure you that in every drama...

There is a love triangle, or some sort of other really warped shape that involves multiples of other individuals. Brothers, cousins, and other family relations will always love the same girl. Everyone has a long lost sister or brother they don't know about. A happy couple will be torn apart, usually sometime during the middle of the season, when the truth is revealed. Also, if you have a brother in law, he's probably secretly pining away for you.
If you have a best guy friend, he is in love with you. You don't know it yet, but you are too, which you will realize during your wedding vows with the rich man you originally thought you loved.

You're allowed to make sudden U turns and drive like hell wherever and whenever you want to chase after the girl of your dreams who is about to leave the country. Traffic is never an issue because the roads are always conveniently clear of cars during these spontaneous moments.

Someone always has cancer. Always

In K dramas if you're rich, you're a jerk, but you'll eventually turn a new leaf. If you're poor, you're an incredibly wonderful person to make up for what you lack in your wallet. Even if you're incredibly poor, you will never be seen wearing the same clothes twice.

The bigger character will always have the bigger car to make up for the size he lacks in...no further comment.

If an accident happens to a person, instead of calling an ambulance with a handy cellphone or driving a car to the hospital, someone will race you there on their back. Usually in the rain.
If you're saving someone from being hit by a car or bus going 5 mph, you'll shove them out of the way and wait for it to hit you instead.

Somebody will get beaten up, usually because of a girl. The girl will stand there and cry, screaming with horror instead of calling the police.

There will be only 2 ways to kiss. Either your lips will press and just glue to each other for a long period of time (usually happens when your man stops you from boarding that plane) or you guys will vacuum yourselves to each other's faces and have a competition to see who can suck out each other's soul first. You'll get pregnant the first time you have sex.

If you're in a relationship, you must at one point leave so your lover can race to the airport and stop you in the nick of time, right before you board the plane. Usually he will yell "_(insert name)____!!! STOP!! Don't leave, I LOVE YOU!!!" and you will run towards each other and embrace; the camera will pan around the two of you to emphasize the union. 60% of the time it will be a success, but for the other 40%, you guys will roam around in circles and pass each other a million times but never see each other.

If you truly love each other, you must die together in the end.

If you overcame great obstacles to be together, one of you must die. Probably due to cancer.


So overall K-dramas are just really bad.


most of that is true...sadly. but there are always exceptions and to find a good drama you have to dig. so korean dramas aren't neccessarily bad, it's just filled with over used cliches and no originality. yet i still love the ones i choose to watch.


Oh yeah sorry for putting "overall they're just bad". The only K-drama I've ever enjoyed was What Star Are You From or its also called What Planet Are You From


Watch Coffee Shop Prince and Bad Company, granted that both have cliche' moments, but over all they are very original and I died laughing. I agree with that K-Dramas a lot of them are overly dramtic, but there are some really good ones out ther. Just got to weed the over dramatics out. I don't like it either (the over dramatics) or love triangles either. But some are acceptable depending on how it is done/ So I think that you will like the two dramas I named. P.S. I agree with the guys are typically uglier than the girls but not in those two I named. Gong Yoo is fine a h*** very masculine and handsomely masculine unlike most asians actors who are just pretty boys (not my type). like a swimmer or b-ball player. Sexy. ANd the guy in the second one is very attractive as well. He is actually beautiful when he cries. FYI, he cried for a very good reason, he is not a sissy. Even though you probably don't care how they look like. LOL. BUy you really MUSt watch them.
307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 7/31/08

Celebration wrote:

Okay, it took me a long time, I mean a really long time to find out that Korean dramas are good, with exception of a few. You ask me why? Cause After I read the summary I ran as far away from it. Some summaries are just horrible and doesn't reflect the drama well. They would talk about the first episode but that is not telling us what the drama is a bout so I misunderstand. I am so happy now that I ran out of other things to watch and started watching K-Dramas, I would have missed out on good ones like Bad Company and The Secret Lovers (which I had looked at them before but it sounded stupid by the summary so I didn't watch it.) So happy I did though, cause they were great! and entertaining, but seriously though, the summaries are killing me. They do some of the worst promoting. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I mean it happens with K-Dramas for me more so than other Dramas (which I accurately classify to my preferences)


i have experienced the same thing for some dramas. what i do now is watch the first episode, then if i'm so eager to know what happens next, i continue to watch it
3438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/31/08

hupaw wrote:


Celebration wrote:

Okay, it took me a long time, I mean a really long time to find out that Korean dramas are good, with exception of a few. You ask me why? Cause After I read the summary I ran as far away from it. Some summaries are just horrible and doesn't reflect the drama well. They would talk about the first episode but that is not telling us what the drama is a bout so I misunderstand. I am so happy now that I ran out of other things to watch and started watching K-Dramas, I would have missed out on good ones like Bad Company and The Secret Lovers (which I had looked at them before but it sounded stupid by the summary so I didn't watch it.) So happy I did though, cause they were great! and entertaining, but seriously though, the summaries are killing me. They do some of the worst promoting. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I mean it happens with K-Dramas for me more so than other Dramas (which I accurately classify to my preferences)


i have experienced the same thing for some dramas. what i do now is watch the first episode, then if i'm so eager to know what happens next, i continue to watch it


I could never drag myself to watch the first episode until I don't have nothing else to watch or do for that matter.
Posted 7/31/08
i thought the summary for iljimae didnt do the drama any justice.
its too similar to hong gil dong when its not. dare i say, it may be even better than HGD xD
Posted 7/31/08
idk
16157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 7/31/08
I do find it annoying when some of the write-ups spoil the events of the first two or three episodes in order to describe the show. It takes the fun out of watching the beginning of the story unfold by itself...
1420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/1/08
what i do is just find dramas on the forums and see which ones are good and then save them for later
i NEVER read the summary before the drama.
1318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Look above youu :...
Offline
Posted 8/1/08
haha that is true, at first i was looking at the summaries of popular dramas ie. my girl, full house, goong, etc. to see what all the rage was about, but in the end, i'm glad that i started watching them
785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Home in the Uk =)
Offline
Posted 8/1/08
I dont really read the summeries until im half way through the drama. Alot of the time i dont get what its on about. I usually read other peoples summeries or look through a recommended thread and see which one pops up alot.

If im really bored and cant really find nothing i tend to go on wikipedia and look up certain actors and see what other dramas they were in.
12158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / ╰☆ 没有黑暗の地方╭☆
Offline
Posted 8/1/08 , edited 8/1/08
I usually go to drama forums and see what everyone's raving about and watch those dramas/movies. Summaries rarely do dramas justice so it's just a waste of time reading them.
Posted 8/2/08

Celebration wrote:


Dim_Sum_King wrote:


pandabear104 wrote:


Dim_Sum_King wrote:

I'm not a fan of Korean dramas.
-There's just too much drama. You think Days of Our Lives or As the World Turns is dramatic? Obviously you've never watched Stairway to Heaven. Cancer, eyeball transplants, car accidents, evil bitches..the whole shebang and you haven't even seen the end of it.




-The girls are always hotter than the guys (no homo, I don't care about the guys )



-Everyone cries. The guys are demanned very badly. It's almost sad. The girls usually tend to be spineless people who can't live without men. They are fragile china dolls combined with a never ending fountain spewing of tears. I can't stand the crying in every other episode. There are other healthier ways to channel out their feelings. And to be honest, I crack up most of the time thinking back on the emo parts.



Next time you pick up a dvd box for a Korean drama and the summary isn't in English, no worries. I assure you that in every drama...

There is a love triangle, or some sort of other really warped shape that involves multiples of other individuals. Brothers, cousins, and other family relations will always love the same girl. Everyone has a long lost sister or brother they don't know about. A happy couple will be torn apart, usually sometime during the middle of the season, when the truth is revealed. Also, if you have a brother in law, he's probably secretly pining away for you.
If you have a best guy friend, he is in love with you. You don't know it yet, but you are too, which you will realize during your wedding vows with the rich man you originally thought you loved.

You're allowed to make sudden U turns and drive like hell wherever and whenever you want to chase after the girl of your dreams who is about to leave the country. Traffic is never an issue because the roads are always conveniently clear of cars during these spontaneous moments.

Someone always has cancer. Always

In K dramas if you're rich, you're a jerk, but you'll eventually turn a new leaf. If you're poor, you're an incredibly wonderful person to make up for what you lack in your wallet. Even if you're incredibly poor, you will never be seen wearing the same clothes twice.

The bigger character will always have the bigger car to make up for the size he lacks in...no further comment.

If an accident happens to a person, instead of calling an ambulance with a handy cellphone or driving a car to the hospital, someone will race you there on their back. Usually in the rain.
If you're saving someone from being hit by a car or bus going 5 mph, you'll shove them out of the way and wait for it to hit you instead.

Somebody will get beaten up, usually because of a girl. The girl will stand there and cry, screaming with horror instead of calling the police.

There will be only 2 ways to kiss. Either your lips will press and just glue to each other for a long period of time (usually happens when your man stops you from boarding that plane) or you guys will vacuum yourselves to each other's faces and have a competition to see who can suck out each other's soul first. You'll get pregnant the first time you have sex.

If you're in a relationship, you must at one point leave so your lover can race to the airport and stop you in the nick of time, right before you board the plane. Usually he will yell "_(insert name)____!!! STOP!! Don't leave, I LOVE YOU!!!" and you will run towards each other and embrace; the camera will pan around the two of you to emphasize the union. 60% of the time it will be a success, but for the other 40%, you guys will roam around in circles and pass each other a million times but never see each other.

If you truly love each other, you must die together in the end.

If you overcame great obstacles to be together, one of you must die. Probably due to cancer.


So overall K-dramas are just really bad.


most of that is true...sadly. but there are always exceptions and to find a good drama you have to dig. so korean dramas aren't neccessarily bad, it's just filled with over used cliches and no originality. yet i still love the ones i choose to watch.


Oh yeah sorry for putting "overall they're just bad". The only K-drama I've ever enjoyed was What Star Are You From or its also called What Planet Are You From


Watch Coffee Shop Prince and Bad Company, granted that both have cliche' moments, but over all they are very original and I died laughing. I agree with that K-Dramas a lot of them are overly dramtic, but there are some really good ones out ther. Just got to weed the over dramatics out. I don't like it either (the over dramatics) or love triangles either. But some are acceptable depending on how it is done/ So I think that you will like the two dramas I named. P.S. I agree with the guys are typically uglier than the girls but not in those two I named. Gong Yoo is fine a h*** very masculine and handsomely masculine unlike most asians actors who are just pretty boys (not my type). like a swimmer or b-ball player. Sexy. ANd the guy in the second one is very attractive as well. He is actually beautiful when he cries. FYI, he cried for a very good reason, he is not a sissy. Even though you probably don't care how they look like. LOL. BUy you really MUSt watch them.



I'll check them out when I get back to Daly City =)
3438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

Patthepirate wrote:

what i do is just find dramas on the forums and see which ones are good and then save them for later
i NEVER read the summary before the drama.


I don't like following others specially ones on CR, cause they typically follow fads or they follow other dare I say bad actors and actresses just because they are pretty or popular when half the time they aren't good and can't act and the story is horrible. Not all mind you. Just most. Like Rolling Love (ewwwwwwww) and I even gave it a chance. So I trust my own judgement.
3438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

Patthepirate wrote:

what i do is just find dramas on the forums and see which ones are good and then save them for later
i NEVER read the summary before the drama.


I don't like following others specially ones on CR, cause they typically follow fads or they follow other dare I say bad actors and actresses just because they are pretty or popular when half the time they aren't good and can't act and the story is horrible. Not all mind you. Just most. Like Rolling Love (ewwwwwwww) and I even gave it a chance. So I trust my own judgement.
3438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

pianogirl wrote:

I usually go to drama forums and see what everyone's raving about and watch those dramas/movies. Summaries rarely do dramas justice so it's just a waste of time reading them.


I don't like following others specially ones on CR, cause they typically follow fads or they follow other dare I say bad actors and actresses just because they are pretty or popular when half the time they aren't good and can't act and the story is horrible. Not all mind you. Just most. Like Rolling Love (ewwwwwwww) and I even gave it a chance. So I trust my own judgement.
3438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

Juliexs wrote:

I dont really read the summeries until im half way through the drama. Alot of the time i dont get what its on about. I usually read other peoples summeries or look through a recommended thread and see which one pops up alot.

If im really bored and cant really find nothing i tend to go on wikipedia and look up certain actors and see what other dramas they were in.


I don't like following others specially ones on CR, cause they typically follow fads or they follow other dare I say bad actors and actresses just because they are pretty or popular when half the time they aren't good and can't act and the story is horrible. Not all mind you. Just most. Like Rolling Love (ewwwwwwww) and I even gave it a chance. So I trust my own judgement.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.