First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Striking VS Grappling
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/20/08 , edited 7/20/08
Okay now the obvious answer is to utilize both, but this question is one of a more hypothetical nature.
In combat, if you can choose one and only one [based on what your RL training/skill is.] what would you use and more importantly how would you use it? Be thorough.
8206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Republic of South...
Offline
Posted 7/20/08
Could you be a little more specific on the nature of the opponents and surroundings.Height,weight,athletic or chubby.Are we in an alley way or a china shop of sorts?Do they have weapons?

What I use some what depends on you replies.You have to give a good description to build a sound hypothetical challenge.My friends and I do things of such quite often.
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/20/08

Telomonian wrote:

Could you be a little more specific on the nature of the opponents and surroundings.Height,weight,athletic or chubby.Are we in an alley way or a china shop of sorts?Do they have weapons?

What I use some what depends on you replies.You have to give a good description to build a sound hypothetical challenge.My friends and I do things of such quite often.


That's a problem everyone faces. There is no circumstances. You never know what your opponent's training or skill is when you enter into a fight.
8206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Republic of South...
Offline
Posted 7/20/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Telomonian wrote:

Could you be a little more specific on the nature of the opponents and surroundings.Height,weight,athletic or chubby.Are we in an alley way or a china shop of sorts?Do they have weapons?

What I use some what depends on you replies.You have to give a good description to build a sound hypothetical challenge.My friends and I do things of such quite often.


That's a problem everyone faces. There is no circumstances. You never know what your opponent's training or skill is when you enter into a fight.


Read what I wrote carefully.I'm not asking for their training,i'm asking about their size and such.The surroundings have nothing to do with their skills either.
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/21/08 , edited 7/21/08

Telomonian wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


Telomonian wrote:

Could you be a little more specific on the nature of the opponents and surroundings.Height,weight,athletic or chubby.Are we in an alley way or a china shop of sorts?Do they have weapons?

What I use some what depends on you replies.You have to give a good description to build a sound hypothetical challenge.My friends and I do things of such quite often.


That's a problem everyone faces. There is no circumstances. You never know what your opponent's training or skill is when you enter into a fight.


Read what I wrote carefully.I'm not asking for their training,i'm asking about their size and such.The surroundings have nothing to do with their skills either.


You never know who your opponents are. Fights happen quickly and you never know who your opponent is until a fight begins.

People pick an art to train in regardless of this information.
8206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Republic of South...
Offline
Posted 7/21/08
It seems we misunderstand each other.

The topic to me is saying that we are in a hypothetical combat situation and we need to choose either grappling or striking as our techneque.
Do I understand the topic correctly or have I misread it?
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/21/08

Telomonian wrote:

It seems we misunderstand each other.

The topic to me is saying that we are in a hypothetical combat situation and we need to choose either grappling or striking as our techneque.
Do I understand the topic correctly or have I misread it?


Your words are correct however I believe your understanding is not.

Basically if you were going to learn a martial art [for combat] would you learn a striking art or a grappling art and only one must be picked with no hybrid techniques. That is the situation.

When one decides to learn a martial art they have no clue as to what opponents they may face.

You dig?

8206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Republic of South...
Offline
Posted 7/22/08
I understand now,(for combat)as in future,not (during combat)as in Who are these people on my front porch!

Grappling as a general,it would allow me to move any unknown size of an opponent or submit them regardless of their strength.All that would cease ones techneque would be their opponents superior and or unforseen abilities.

How?As self defence naturaly,as for a game plan:NONE.
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/22/08

Telomonian wrote:

I understand now,(for combat)as in future,not (during combat)as in Who are these people on my front porch!

Grappling as a general,it would allow me to move any unknown size of an opponent or submit them regardless of their strength.All that would cease ones techneque would be their opponents superior and or unforseen abilities.

How?As self defence naturaly,as for a game plan:NONE.


Good good. My answer would be the same, naturally as a Jujutsu Instructor.

Moderator
10212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / step into my world
Offline
Posted 7/29/08 , edited 8/19/08
though i'd like to say both.. I like to strike soon.. cuz that's the first thing we learn even since being babies..., but grappling does work.. I've used it, and it really does.. but i prefer to kick you away.. or if punch back.. especially if i get punched in the head...whch happens alot cough cough lol.. i like to connect, then get away. get myv space

but prepare to get close.. that is something you cant deny
Martial Artist
14082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/08
speed is essential in such case. A fast strike can be fatal when the opponent doesnt have enough time to lock. However, if the strike or the blind side run is rather slow and the attacker gets caught, in that case its grappling over striking.
Moderator
10212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / step into my world
Offline
Posted 8/19/08

Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

speed is essential in such case. A fast strike can be fatal when the opponent doesnt have enough time to lock. However, if the strike or the blind side run is rather slow and the attacker gets caught, in that case its grappling over striking.



so you're saying it depends on speed, and timing?

Martial Artist
14082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/08

most_unpredictable_ninja wrote:


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

speed is essential in such case. A fast strike can be fatal when the opponent doesnt have enough time to lock. However, if the strike or the blind side run is rather slow and the attacker gets caught, in that case its grappling over striking.



so you're saying it depends on speed, and timing?



I believe so. I practice striking but I know its pretty hard to handle the oppononet once you get pinned on floor.
Moderator
10212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / step into my world
Offline
Posted 8/20/08

Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:


most_unpredictable_ninja wrote:


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

speed is essential in such case. A fast strike can be fatal when the opponent doesnt have enough time to lock. However, if the strike or the blind side run is rather slow and the attacker gets caught, in that case its grappling over striking.



so you're saying it depends on speed, and timing?



I believe so. I practice striking but I know its pretty hard to handle the oppononet once you get pinned on floor.


you said it.. especially while on the face, unless you learn how to use the elbow, or hit'em where it hurts,.. cool part is countering back.. i only have seen or done grappling escapes.... unless your freaking tony jaa
my friend showed me some muay thai grappling... hhhhmm maybe some aikido pressure points.. jujutsu ay have the anwer for this..or somewhere also around the world

Martial Artist
14082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/20/08

most_unpredictable_ninja wrote:


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:


most_unpredictable_ninja wrote:


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

speed is essential in such case. A fast strike can be fatal when the opponent doesnt have enough time to lock. However, if the strike or the blind side run is rather slow and the attacker gets caught, in that case its grappling over striking.



so you're saying it depends on speed, and timing?



I believe so. I practice striking but I know its pretty hard to handle the oppononet once you get pinned on floor.


you said it.. especially while on the face, unless you learn how to use the elbow, or hit'em where it hurts,.. cool part is countering back.. i only have seen or done grappling escapes.... unless your freaking tony jaa
my friend showed me some muay thai grappling... hhhhmm maybe some aikido pressure points.. jujutsu ay have the anwer for this..or somewhere also around the world



the only way knowing who will have the advantage would be watching shaolin vs jujutsu (creepy!)
aikido is out of the question though, haha~, the striker will just keep coming back.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.