First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply What IS Martial Arts?
9711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Just a kamen ride...
Offline
Posted 7/25/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:



Haha I hate talking about my past but I guess to explain my point of view on certain things I have to bring it up as an example and to show people where I am coming from.

Absolutely, a student will not progress without trusting the teacher and following their charge.

We all have doubts but we must overcome these things and that is part of martial arts in itself; overcoming doubt. Your dad sounds like a good man. His words are true.




He truly is, if i become half the man he is it would make me proud
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 7/25/08


So what about the whole experience thing? I was disagreeing with you and I had wondered if you had a counter-point.

Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/08
my oppinion as an "un - professional" is that martial arts are before everything a mental state. As we can see for the Japanese people m.a are just like breathing, let's just say it is in their blood, so first if u want to learn something like that - u have to change u r mentality. It' s all about mind and the way u use it. It' s a code of rules that concentrates especially on mental hygena. (man hope my spelling is good i hate making mistakes!)....if smb. just watches the ocen will truly understand what m.a are all about1........anyway that's only my oppinion (and it comes from a person who could practice m.a because some health reason )
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/1/08

marjan007 wrote:

my oppinion as an "un - professional" is that martial arts are before everything a mental state. As we can see for the Japanese people m.a are just like breathing, let's just say it is in their blood, so first if u want to learn something like that - u have to change u r mentality. It' s all about mind and the way u use it. It' s a code of rules that concentrates especially on mental hygena. (man hope my spelling is good i hate making mistakes!)....if smb. just watches the ocen will truly understand what m.a are all about1........anyway that's only my oppinion (and it comes from a person who could practice m.a because some health reason )


Almost correct.
I would say it's 15% techniques, 25% application, and 60% understanding [mental]

9711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Just a kamen ride...
Offline
Posted 8/1/08
I know we have a quotes thread but i thought this would fit better in here, i came across this in another book i was reading.

The experienced martial artist is priveledged to undergone a certain kind of training. If he takes his art seriously, he is aware that he carries in his hands the power of life and death. Consequently, he has the responsibility to behave with greater calm and judgement than the average person. The awareness of this responsibility is assimilated into his demeanor. The responsible martial artist does not respond to emotional provocation, because what might typically start out as a mere punch or shove can escalate into something far more serious. The rule of reason, not wounded pride, must govern. ~ (Chu, 89)
9711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Just a kamen ride...
Offline
Posted 8/1/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:



So what about the whole experience thing? I was disagreeing with you and I had wondered if you had a counter-point.



Im sorry i did not mean to ignore you, my notifications only showed your quote before this ^ one.

I totally agree with your equation, and what you are saying about experience. But do you think the belt itself is more important then what you did to achieve it? I realize it is a symbol and a goal but if you were to follow the same training again with belts, wouldn't the training be the same

Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

carlrules097 wrote:

Im sorry i did not mean to ignore you, my notifications only showed your quote before this ^ one.

I totally agree with your equation, and what you are saying about experience. But do you think the belt itself is more important then what you did to achieve it? I realize it is a symbol and a goal but if you were to follow the same training again with belts, wouldn't the training be the same



One question; What belt?

Remember, I am primarily a student of koryu bujutsu.
A belt I find is silly. It has a purpose which is a decent purpose whoever it is perverted by the arrogance and pride of many who arrogantly think a black belt makes them some master and they can kick anyone's ass.

I've had such an encounter with some TKD guy.

They misunderstand that a black belt is the end.

And yes the training would easily be the same.the ranking system does not designate the training itself.
Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

carlrules097 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:



So what about the whole experience thing? I was disagreeing with you and I had wondered if you had a counter-point.



Im sorry i did not mean to ignore you, my notifications only showed your quote before this ^ one.

I totally agree with your equation, and what you are saying about experience. But do you think the belt itself is more important then what you did to achieve it? I realize it is a symbol and a goal but if you were to follow the same training again with belts, wouldn't the training be the same




kid sorry for butting in but i like the way u think! really! by the way we have a saying in my country that's not so important the goal itself but the experiences u have to accumulate in order to attain ur dreams! anyway show more confidence and never give up tu smth u love and like to do! modesty and shyness are both just beautiful fools!
Member
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


marjan007 wrote:

my oppinion as an "un - professional" is that martial arts are before everything a mental state. As we can see for the Japanese people m.a are just like breathing, let's just say it is in their blood, so first if u want to learn something like that - u have to change u r mentality. It' s all about mind and the way u use it. It' s a code of rules that concentrates especially on mental hygena. (man hope my spelling is good i hate making mistakes!)....if smb. just watches the ocen will truly understand what m.a are all about1........anyway that's only my oppinion (and it comes from a person who could practice m.a because some health reason )


Almost correct.
I would say it's 15% techniques, 25% application, and 60% understanding [mental]



man let's just say this.......it is good that we do agree on one thing : MIND Is IMPORTANT, there's no place for techniques or application if u don't have the right mentality! , but now i'm just repeatting myself and i hate it! so let's say that i agree with u 60 %
9711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Just a kamen ride...
Offline
Posted 8/2/08 , edited 8/2/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:

Im sorry i did not mean to ignore you, my notifications only showed your quote before this ^ one.

I totally agree with your equation, and what you are saying about experience. But do you think the belt itself is more important then what you did to achieve it? I realize it is a symbol and a goal but if you were to follow the same training again with belts, wouldn't the training be the same



One question; What belt?

Remember, I am primarily a student of koryu bujutsu.
A belt I find is silly. It has a purpose which is a decent purpose whoever it is perverted by the arrogance and pride of many who arrogantly think a black belt makes them some master and they can kick anyone's ass.

I've had such an encounter with some TKD guy.

They misunderstand that a black belt is the end.

And yes the training would easily be the same.the ranking system does not designate the training itself.


I mentioned that belts weren't important at first and then you said your thing on experience and black belts, or was that our last converstion we had?
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/2/08

carlrules097 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


carlrules097 wrote:

Im sorry i did not mean to ignore you, my notifications only showed your quote before this ^ one.

I totally agree with your equation, and what you are saying about experience. But do you think the belt itself is more important then what you did to achieve it? I realize it is a symbol and a goal but if you were to follow the same training again with belts, wouldn't the training be the same



One question; What belt?

Remember, I am primarily a student of koryu bujutsu.
A belt I find is silly. It has a purpose which is a decent purpose whoever it is perverted by the arrogance and pride of many who arrogantly think a black belt makes them some master and they can kick anyone's ass.

I've had such an encounter with some TKD guy.

They misunderstand that a black belt is the end.

And yes the training would easily be the same.the ranking system does not designate the training itself.


I mentioned that belts weren't important at first and then you said your thing on experience and black belts, or was that our last converstion we had?


You said they are pointless. I disagree.
I think they are silly. Though they have a reason; symbolism of experience.
Posted 8/2/08
belts are not pointless and black belt is not the end some no most style have many different black belt ranks all the way up to master rank and when you reach that rank start another style and keep growing keep learning that's the way i see it that's why i've already learned 6 style of martial arts well im actually on my 6th.
Head Moderator
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 8/3/08
wow...theres awesome conversation in here, I'm really sorry I missed it now...
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/4/08

Macedonian wrote:

wow...theres awesome conversation in here, I'm really sorry I missed it now...


Well you haven't completely missed it. It's slowing but as far as I am concerned it's still going.

Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/08
I like the martial art, even karate despite the way i feel on taking it. I have very little to say on this topic.sorry
my mom recommeded I take karate. viewing this thread i'm kinda rethinking the idea
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.