First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why are DVD subs usually far lower quality than fast free FanSubs?
1217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / U.S. illinois
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08
I mean.... most dvd subs are, not really less exact.... but shortened....more simply translated?!

and most dvd subs dont translate signs and things like that.....typesetting i think its called

and ive never seen notes... like translator notes in fansubs.... which i really like

and also the karaoke for the opening songs and ending songs.... to me thats one of the best things from fansubs.....

you would think for as much money as they sell the dvd's for they would add a little more quality to the subs.....more so than a couple of kids on their computers in their moms basement spending only a few hours of work...

what does everyone else think?


sry if this is a duplicate =P


(^o^)/
104027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08
fansubs > yellow/white dvd subs
3609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
You should ask a company like Funimation, Right Stuff, etc. for that.
2233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / somewhere
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
cuz the guys who do the dvd subs are lazy fat bastards where as the fansubbers take time in making it look good and readable
21447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Where everything...
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
Yep. Fansubbers do it for fun and are actually willing, where dvd subs are done by people who don't want to do it but are payed to do it, even if they do a crappy job.
2227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / The research lab
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

supermanw3 wrote:

I mean.... most dvd subs are, not really less exact.... but shortened....more simply translated?!

and most dvd subs dont translate signs and things like that.....typesetting i think its called

and ive never seen notes... like translator notes in fansubs.... which i really like

and also the karaoke for the opening songs and ending songs.... to me thats one of the best things from fansubs.....

you would think for as much money as they sell the dvd's for they would add a little more quality to the subs.....more so than a couple of kids on their computers in their moms basement spending only a few hours of work...

what does everyone else think?


sry if this is a duplicate =P


(^o^)/


I'm not so sure the licensed DVD subs are all that bad. Any specific examples?
1217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / U.S. illinois
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

mrsentimental wrote:


supermanw3 wrote:

I mean.... most dvd subs are, not really less exact.... but shortened....more simply translated?!

and most dvd subs dont translate signs and things like that.....typesetting i think its called

and ive never seen notes... like translator notes in fansubs.... which i really like

and also the karaoke for the opening songs and ending songs.... to me thats one of the best things from fansubs.....

you would think for as much money as they sell the dvd's for they would add a little more quality to the subs.....more so than a couple of kids on their computers in their moms basement spending only a few hours of work...

what does everyone else think?


sry if this is a duplicate =P


(^o^)/


I'm not so sure the licensed DVD subs are all that bad. Any specific examples?


im not saying the subs themselves are bad.... what i mean it the quality... things like typesetting and such that i mentioned..... translated signs and things like that that nearly all fansybs have that most dvd's dont

14835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08
Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.
Posted 7/26/08

DemonWithin912 wrote:

Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.


What about soft subs on DVD rips?
14835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08

Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:

Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.


What about soft subs on DVD rips?


DVDrips are not horrid but they lose like 5 to 10 % of the original quality.


Maybe, I'll show example of DVDrips to pure DVD later.

DVDrip quality can also vary by which fansubbing group it is.
Posted 7/26/08

DemonWithin912 wrote:


Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:

Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.


What about soft subs on DVD rips?


DVDrips are not horrid but they lose like 5 to 10 % of the original quality.


Maybe, I'll show example of DVDrips to pure DVD later.

DVDrip quality can also vary by which fansubbing group it is.


But honestly, unless you have an HD screen, what difference is 5-10% going to make?

And besides, isn't a 5-10% drop in visual quality worth the improvement in translation and typesetting?

And I'm not going to bother asking what series you're watching that actually looks particularly different on DVD than it did on TV, but seriously, DVDs are mainly for fixing 'QUALITY' (botched art) issues and removing censors.
557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
I completely agree! i have a boxset of my favorite anime and they even spelled a few words wrong!! Not to mention they take out all those lovely swear words! Sometimes thats the funnniest thing.
58035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

helkat94 wrote:

I completely agree! i have a boxset of my favorite anime and they even spelled a few words wrong!! Not to mention they take out all those lovely swear words! Sometimes thats the funnniest thing.


boxset usually have less quality on the dvd than buying the anime in volumes. Some boxsets sold online are either bootlegs or TV quality anime. Buying the original dvd volumes which are expensive is the best way to get better quality.
3324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

random2wtf wrote:

cuz the guys who do the dvd subs are lazy fat bastards where as the fansubbers take time in making it look good and readable


the official translator can't really do that, they have to use yellow or I heard black and white before but mostly yellow, they don't have a choice over the color they want. They also can't put a bunch of words or notes all over the screen also, only when it is truely necessary. Please find out why someone does what they do before you say something about them when you know nothing.
Here is a big picture on how fansubing is
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0
760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / PH
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
yep i agree

but sometimes dvd subs can be good too

"sometimes"
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.