First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why are DVD subs usually far lower quality than fast free FanSubs?
14835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08

Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:


Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:

Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.


What about soft subs on DVD rips?


DVDrips are not horrid but they lose like 5 to 10 % of the original quality.


Maybe, I'll show example of DVDrips to pure DVD later.

DVDrip quality can also vary by which fansubbing group it is.


But honestly, unless you have an HD screen, what difference is 5-10% going to make?

And besides, isn't a 5-10% drop in visual quality worth the improvement in translation and typesetting?

And I'm not going to bother asking what series you're watching that actually looks particularly different on DVD than it did on TV, but seriously, DVDs are mainly for fixing 'QUALITY' (botched art) issues and removing censors.


DVDrips are lossy codecs that compress the original video and sound quality.



That my friend is a DVDrip of Samurai Champloo

I took the time to download that |:

Right now I am dvdripping my volume of Samurai Champloo.

I already saw the quality difference on my dvdplayer.

It is really different.

Look at the blotches and pixelation on that picture. |:

EDIT:

Now look at the difference.
Wouldn't Frame/Picture A be better than Frame/Picture B because it is a smaller resolution

Both are 16:9
Frame B is 848x480
Frame A is something <_<



I don't mind people watching DVDrips but DVD's are the best way to go.
Only if you have the money.

-DW
3324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

supermanw3 wrote:

I mean.... most dvd subs are, not really less exact.... but shortened....more simply translated?!

and most dvd subs dont translate signs and things like that.....typesetting i think its called

and ive never seen notes... like translator notes in fansubs.... which i really like

and also the karaoke for the opening songs and ending songs.... to me thats one of the best things from fansubs.....

you would think for as much money as they sell the dvd's for they would add a little more quality to the subs.....more so than a couple of kids on their computers in their moms basement spending only a few hours of work...

what does everyone else think?


sry if this is a duplicate =P


(^o^)/


watch all the parts, may answer some of your question but not all.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0
104039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08

DemonWithin912 wrote:


Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:


Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:

Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.


What about soft subs on DVD rips?


DVDrips are not horrid but they lose like 5 to 10 % of the original quality.


Maybe, I'll show example of DVDrips to pure DVD later.

DVDrip quality can also vary by which fansubbing group it is.


But honestly, unless you have an HD screen, what difference is 5-10% going to make?

And besides, isn't a 5-10% drop in visual quality worth the improvement in translation and typesetting?

And I'm not going to bother asking what series you're watching that actually looks particularly different on DVD than it did on TV, but seriously, DVDs are mainly for fixing 'QUALITY' (botched art) issues and removing censors.


DVDrips are lossy codecs that compress the original video and sound quality.



That my friend is a DVDrip of Samurai Champloo

I took the time to download that |:

Right now I am dvdripping my volume of Samurai Champloo.

I already saw the quality difference on my dvdplayer.

It is really different.

Look at the blotches and pixelation on that picture. |:

EDIT:

Now look at the difference.
Wouldn't Frame/Picture A be better than Frame/Picture B because it is a smaller resolution

Both are 16:9
Frame B is 848x480
Frame A is something <_<



I don't mind people watching DVDrips but DVD's are the best way to go.
Only if you have the money.

-DW


i'll help with and "ef" him with dvd vs aired quality, once i get to the air port lol
557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

Zwill wrote:


helkat94 wrote:

I completely agree! i have a boxset of my favorite anime and they even spelled a few words wrong!! Not to mention they take out all those lovely swear words! Sometimes thats the funnniest thing.


boxset usually have less quality on the dvd than buying the anime in volumes. Some boxsets sold online are either bootlegs or TV quality anime. Buying the original dvd volumes which are expensive is the best way to get better quality.


Ah, thanks for the advice!
14835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

AnimeKami wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:


Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:


Daharkas wrote:


DemonWithin912 wrote:

Usually DVD subs are pretty poor but there is no way in hell that I would pick Encoded Quality over Real DVD Quality.


What about soft subs on DVD rips?


DVDrips are not horrid but they lose like 5 to 10 % of the original quality.


Maybe, I'll show example of DVDrips to pure DVD later.

DVDrip quality can also vary by which fansubbing group it is.


But honestly, unless you have an HD screen, what difference is 5-10% going to make?

And besides, isn't a 5-10% drop in visual quality worth the improvement in translation and typesetting?

And I'm not going to bother asking what series you're watching that actually looks particularly different on DVD than it did on TV, but seriously, DVDs are mainly for fixing 'QUALITY' (botched art) issues and removing censors.


DVDrips are lossy codecs that compress the original video and sound quality.



That my friend is a DVDrip of Samurai Champloo

I took the time to download that |:

Right now I am dvdripping my volume of Samurai Champloo.

I already saw the quality difference on my dvdplayer.

It is really different.

Look at the blotches and pixelation on that picture. |:

EDIT:

Now look at the difference.
Wouldn't Frame/Picture A be better than Frame/Picture B because it is a smaller resolution

Both are 16:9
Frame B is 848x480
Frame A is something <_<



I don't mind people watching DVDrips but DVD's are the best way to go.
Only if you have the money.

-DW


i'll help with and "ef" him with dvd vs aired quality, once i get to the air port lol


Holy shit, don't get me started on EF DVD, hell even DVDrip vs TVrip -___-
2162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / http://sephirona....
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08
DVD subbers are, simply put, just in it for the money. Like others mentioned above, fansubbers tend to actually appreciate the series and show their devotion accordingly. They're more likely to want others to see how good a series is, so they'll try their best even though they don't get money. Now isn't that nice?

I tend to think there's some kind of silent war between fansubbers and dubbing loonies anyway because no matter how I look at it, the DVD subbers look like no-good cash-cows. In general, American dubbers love cracking down on fansubbers so us viewers would have no choice but to buy their lower-quality merchandise. :K
8969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Where do think?
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
Dvd subbers are just lazy and want all the money they can get.
3388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Ryoma's House
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
dunno
15149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Where you are?
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
I don't know. But my Saint Seiya DVDs is Dubs are really bad. Somebody always saying "Don't cut a pie".
3954 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
Well I would say it depends on what fansubbing group. But the average subbing done imo are far better from fansubbers than dvd's. I think it has to do with the notion of mass production with least amount of work for their pay. While fansubbers, tend to think more about the quality due to their liking of the anime.

I guess it also has to do with the mindset of people.
104039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/26/08


I'll make it nice and simple

Dvd > tv in quality

fansubs >>> dvd subs
14835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/26/08

AnimeKami wrote:

I'll make it nice and simple

Dvd > tv in quality

fansubs >>> dvd subs


lol

I knew that already AK
5631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / [PoT] Devil Akaya!
Offline
Posted 7/26/08
i dunno i dont buy dvds i got some free ones that came in a magazine but it was in english lol
25823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/08 , edited 7/26/08

supermanw3 wrote:

I mean.... most dvd subs are, not really less exact.... but shortened....more simply translated?!

and most dvd subs dont translate signs and things like that.....typesetting i think its called

and ive never seen notes... like translator notes in fansubs.... which i really like

and also the karaoke for the opening songs and ending songs.... to me thats one of the best things from fansubs.....

you would think for as much money as they sell the dvd's for they would add a little more quality to the subs.....more so than a couple of kids on their computers in their moms basement spending only a few hours of work...

what does everyone else think?


sry if this is a duplicate =P


(^o^)/


the less it costs the more it sells the better 4 the industry and yeah main reason i havent bought as many dvds the subbing should be better i never listen to dubs....anymore

but i do trust the company more with the subbing than a fan whos doing it for free i mean this

104039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/26/08

DemonWithin912 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I'll make it nice and simple

Dvd > tv in quality

fansubs >>> dvd subs


lol

I knew that already AK


of course if you didn't you would be a crappy video encoder lawl

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.