First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply What IS a Katana?
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08 , edited 8/21/08

blackfaceboy wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

I posted this on another group. Might as well post it here since it seems to be a favorite weapon to many here.
-

First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT.

A Katana is NOT a "Samurai Sword."
A Katana is NOT a Tachi.
A Katana is NOT a Toy.
A Katana is NOT made of stainless steel.
A Katana does NOT transform into a giant sword that is bigger than the wielder.
A Katana does NOT have magic powers.
A Katana is NOT the greatest sword on earth.
A Katana is NEVER straight. ["Ninja Swords" never existed historically.]
A Katana is hardly ever used to parry or block another sword.

What IS a katana?
A Katana IS a Shinken. [Though a Shinken is not always a Katana]
A Katana IS a Daito. [Though a Daito is not always a Katana]
A Katana IS a durable cutting sword which in use is very effective at killing.
A Katana IS a Dangerous Weapon that should be taken seriously at all times and not played with.

Specifications:
First off, calling it a "Samurai Sword" is as silly and stupid as calling a Peacmaker Revolver a "Cowboy Gun" or an arming sword a "Knight Sword." Furthermore aside from being silly and incorrect, it was not used alone by the samurai until the Sword Prohibition Act and even then I am sure some were in secret possession.
Shinken just means "Live Blade" which is not always a Katana. First off, a Katana was worn edge up thrust through an Obi. A "Katana" had very strict measurement rules. If it wasn't constrained to those specific rules, it wasn't a katana. What about a tachi? A tachi is a sword similar to a Katana but with more of a curve and it is worn with fittings to armor edge down. A tachi certainly isn't a Katana, but people often mix them up. Or you can be very vague and list "Daito" which means "Long Sword"

Technically, "Katana" is the only real word for a "Katana." Informally, you can call it whatever you want, but you'd be incorrect. I for one am rarely informal.

So you can list Daito, Tachi, Shinken, and it would all point to a sharpened long sword, but a Katana is in a league of it's own.

Furthermore, one can NOT use a katana properly without formal instruction from a certified instructor. You can NOT learn swordsmanship from books or videos or movies or clips. Only a certified instructor can teach you swordsmanship. To wield a sword without instruction from a certified instructor proses a danger to not only yourself but to anyone and anything around you. Wielding a stainless steel blade is dangerous as well but for the fact that it is not proper metal for a sword, which is why they are called "Wallhangers" and not "Swords" and can break with little resistance as seen in this very real (and funny) clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8

Feel free to comment, have a friendly debate, and add you're own information.


pre·ten·tious
1: characterized by pretension: as a: making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) <the pretentious fraud who assumes a love of culture that is alien to him — Richard Watts> b: expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance

May get me kicked but I had to say it.

The katana was mostly paired with the wakizashi or shōtō, a similarly made but smaller sword, both worn by the members of the warrior class. It could also be worn with the tantō, an even smaller similarly shaped blade. The two weapons together were called the daishō and represented the social power and personal honour of the samurai......... so it begs the question then just what is a samurai sword if the katana is no longer it?


I'm not one to kick someone over something so stupid.

However I will both warn that insulting has no place here and that everyone is expected to behave respectfully and ask how you find me pretentious when you have never met me before and know nothing of my experience or my background. I would call that ignorance. I am sure you do not need a definition for that one.

The reason a katana is not a "Samurai Sword" as it was not exclusive to the samurai.
Furthermore you do not see anyone calling a Colt SAA a "Cowboy Gun" or an arming sword a "Knight Sword" do you? Well it's not too different.

By all means, I encourage a friendly debate. However if one is so sensitive they can't play nice, then the conversation will be over.
664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In a land far far...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


blackfaceboy wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

I posted this on another group. Might as well post it here since it seems to be a favorite weapon to many here.
-

First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT.

A Katana is NOT a "Samurai Sword."
A Katana is NOT a Tachi.
A Katana is NOT a Toy.
A Katana is NOT made of stainless steel.
A Katana does NOT transform into a giant sword that is bigger than the wielder.
A Katana does NOT have magic powers.
A Katana is NOT the greatest sword on earth.
A Katana is NEVER straight. ["Ninja Swords" never existed historically.]
A Katana is hardly ever used to parry or block another sword.

What IS a katana?
A Katana IS a Shinken. [Though a Shinken is not always a Katana]
A Katana IS a Daito. [Though a Daito is not always a Katana]
A Katana IS a durable cutting sword which in use is very effective at killing.
A Katana IS a Dangerous Weapon that should be taken seriously at all times and not played with.

Specifications:
First off, calling it a "Samurai Sword" is as silly and stupid as calling a Peacmaker Revolver a "Cowboy Gun" or an arming sword a "Knight Sword." Furthermore aside from being silly and incorrect, it was not used alone by the samurai until the Sword Prohibition Act and even then I am sure some were in secret possession.
Shinken just means "Live Blade" which is not always a Katana. First off, a Katana was worn edge up thrust through an Obi. A "Katana" had very strict measurement rules. If it wasn't constrained to those specific rules, it wasn't a katana. What about a tachi? A tachi is a sword similar to a Katana but with more of a curve and it is worn with fittings to armor edge down. A tachi certainly isn't a Katana, but people often mix them up. Or you can be very vague and list "Daito" which means "Long Sword"

Technically, "Katana" is the only real word for a "Katana." Informally, you can call it whatever you want, but you'd be incorrect. I for one am rarely informal.

So you can list Daito, Tachi, Shinken, and it would all point to a sharpened long sword, but a Katana is in a league of it's own.

Furthermore, one can NOT use a katana properly without formal instruction from a certified instructor. You can NOT learn swordsmanship from books or videos or movies or clips. Only a certified instructor can teach you swordsmanship. To wield a sword without instruction from a certified instructor proses a danger to not only yourself but to anyone and anything around you. Wielding a stainless steel blade is dangerous as well but for the fact that it is not proper metal for a sword, which is why they are called "Wallhangers" and not "Swords" and can break with little resistance as seen in this very real (and funny) clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8

Feel free to comment, have a friendly debate, and add you're own information.


pre·ten·tious
1: characterized by pretension: as a: making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) <the pretentious fraud who assumes a love of culture that is alien to him — Richard Watts> b: expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance

May get me kicked but I had to say it.

The katana was mostly paired with the wakizashi or shōtō, a similarly made but smaller sword, both worn by the members of the warrior class. It could also be worn with the tantō, an even smaller similarly shaped blade. The two weapons together were called the daishō and represented the social power and personal honour of the samurai......... so it begs the question then just what is a samurai sword if the katana is no longer it?


I'm not one to kick someone over something so stupid.

However I will both warn that insulting has no place here and that everyone is expected to behave respectfully and ask how you find me pretentious when you have never met me before and know nothing of my experience or my background. I would call that ignorance. I am sure you do not need a definition for that one.

The reason a katana is not a "Samurai Sword" as it was not exclusive to the samurai.
Furthermore you do not see anyone calling a Colt SAA a "Cowboy Gun" or an arming sword a "Knight Sword" do you? Well it's not too different.

By all means, I encourage a friendly debate. However if one is so sensitive they can't play nice, then the conversation will be over.


hahahaha like i said "pre·ten·tious" haha who really cares about semantics havn't you ever heard the blade is the soul of the samurai? Who cares about its technical name its an extention of ones self. Pre·ten·tious... Only weak people seek strenght in trivial matters...
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

blackfaceboy wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


blackfaceboy wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

I posted this on another group. Might as well post it here since it seems to be a favorite weapon to many here.
-

First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT.

A Katana is NOT a "Samurai Sword."
A Katana is NOT a Tachi.
A Katana is NOT a Toy.
A Katana is NOT made of stainless steel.
A Katana does NOT transform into a giant sword that is bigger than the wielder.
A Katana does NOT have magic powers.
A Katana is NOT the greatest sword on earth.
A Katana is NEVER straight. ["Ninja Swords" never existed historically.]
A Katana is hardly ever used to parry or block another sword.

What IS a katana?
A Katana IS a Shinken. [Though a Shinken is not always a Katana]
A Katana IS a Daito. [Though a Daito is not always a Katana]
A Katana IS a durable cutting sword which in use is very effective at killing.
A Katana IS a Dangerous Weapon that should be taken seriously at all times and not played with.

Specifications:
First off, calling it a "Samurai Sword" is as silly and stupid as calling a Peacmaker Revolver a "Cowboy Gun" or an arming sword a "Knight Sword." Furthermore aside from being silly and incorrect, it was not used alone by the samurai until the Sword Prohibition Act and even then I am sure some were in secret possession.
Shinken just means "Live Blade" which is not always a Katana. First off, a Katana was worn edge up thrust through an Obi. A "Katana" had very strict measurement rules. If it wasn't constrained to those specific rules, it wasn't a katana. What about a tachi? A tachi is a sword similar to a Katana but with more of a curve and it is worn with fittings to armor edge down. A tachi certainly isn't a Katana, but people often mix them up. Or you can be very vague and list "Daito" which means "Long Sword"

Technically, "Katana" is the only real word for a "Katana." Informally, you can call it whatever you want, but you'd be incorrect. I for one am rarely informal.

So you can list Daito, Tachi, Shinken, and it would all point to a sharpened long sword, but a Katana is in a league of it's own.

Furthermore, one can NOT use a katana properly without formal instruction from a certified instructor. You can NOT learn swordsmanship from books or videos or movies or clips. Only a certified instructor can teach you swordsmanship. To wield a sword without instruction from a certified instructor proses a danger to not only yourself but to anyone and anything around you. Wielding a stainless steel blade is dangerous as well but for the fact that it is not proper metal for a sword, which is why they are called "Wallhangers" and not "Swords" and can break with little resistance as seen in this very real (and funny) clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8

Feel free to comment, have a friendly debate, and add you're own information.


pre·ten·tious
1: characterized by pretension: as a: making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) <the pretentious fraud who assumes a love of culture that is alien to him — Richard Watts> b: expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance

May get me kicked but I had to say it.

The katana was mostly paired with the wakizashi or shōtō, a similarly made but smaller sword, both worn by the members of the warrior class. It could also be worn with the tantō, an even smaller similarly shaped blade. The two weapons together were called the daishō and represented the social power and personal honour of the samurai......... so it begs the question then just what is a samurai sword if the katana is no longer it?


I'm not one to kick someone over something so stupid.

However I will both warn that insulting has no place here and that everyone is expected to behave respectfully and ask how you find me pretentious when you have never met me before and know nothing of my experience or my background. I would call that ignorance. I am sure you do not need a definition for that one.

The reason a katana is not a "Samurai Sword" as it was not exclusive to the samurai.
Furthermore you do not see anyone calling a Colt SAA a "Cowboy Gun" or an arming sword a "Knight Sword" do you? Well it's not too different.

By all means, I encourage a friendly debate. However if one is so sensitive they can't play nice, then the conversation will be over.


hahahaha like i said "pre·ten·tious" haha who really cares about semantics havn't you ever heard the blade is the soul of the samurai? Who cares about its technical name its an extention of ones self. Pre·ten·tious... Only weak people seek strenght in trivial matters...


You haven't answered my question.
If you're going to avoid discussion and just throw empty insults around, I am pretty sure you won't enjoy this group.
This is a forum. It's for discussions. If you aren't the discussion type, you can leave any time.

It's not a matter of strength it is a matter of what an item is called.
If I called an apple a banana I'm sure you'd find that pretty strange.

If you say I am wrong, then show me some proof or some form of evidence backing up your point.
If I call someone out I owe them that much and thus I expect what I give.



664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In a land far far...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08
ok wow I usually don't answer question people answer themselves... im pretty sure thats called rhetorical... or maybe I should get the definition of this word as well... "It's not a matter of strength it is a matter of what an item is called".... I knew I should have wrote what semantics means too... You either don't understand what I am talking about, or are too full of yourself to take the time to think about it which was the impression I got after reading your original post, and so far as I've seen people like you seem to make the best kind of moderators on these shallow type forums.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

blackfaceboy wrote:

ok wow I usually don't answer question people answer themselves... im pretty sure thats called rhetorical... or maybe I should get the definition of this word as well... "It's not a matter of strength it is a matter of what an item is called".... I knew I should have wrote what semantics means too... You either don't understand what I am talking about, or are too full of yourself to take the time to think about it which was the impression I got after reading your original post, and so far as I've seen people like you seem to make the best kind of moderators on these shallow type forums.


If that's how you feel.

I have a final question then.

Do you want to stay here, have fun, exchange knowledge, talk, and maybe make some friends? Or is this condescension something you're incapable of overcoming?

I don't want to remove you really. It's not fun especially from a member who potentially has some experiences to share. However this behavior is tiring and it won't go on very much further. I didn't make this group to babysit. I made it to have fun and have some decent conversations and to learn and teach.

Seriously now. I'd like to get along and maybe learn something if you have knowledge to offer. You might learn some from me in exchange.

You may think I am full of myself and I don't know what I am talking about if you truly that close minded, and you are free to think what you will. However if you try a little humility you might find that I am a bit less like you think I am and you might end up enjoying a conversation with me.

You're choice. However if you just want to try to make yourself feel better some way and get a rise out of me, you're wasting your time.
664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / In a land far far...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08
Humility? humility really? can you really make that claim to be a humble person? I can go along to get along just fine, and for that matter I don't really care about making fictious friendships over the web, so nothing i encounter on here will ever bother me, but you really? common reread your original post and tell me that you wrote that with even a grain of humility... Who are you to say what a katana is or isn't? This is the very reason I called it and you pretentious. There is more to culture then just knowing the history. If im a cow boy and I wanna call my gun a cowboy gun or a pea shooter who is anyone else to balk at that? Semantics~ Before you start calling me closed minded take a look at yourself and really ask yourself if that opening statement was anything but close minded. "First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT!" Yes O' great one because you are the authority are you not?.... bah that borders on down right arogence. But you don't care from what I have seen you have plenty of miscreants who are more then happy to expound upon your narrow minded views... "First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT!" , Yes because this is your forum so for all intensive purposes you have the right to do so... have fun with that.
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

blackfaceboy wrote:

Humility? humility really? can you really make that claim to be a humble person? I can go along to get along just fine, and for that matter I don't really care about making fictious friendships over the web, so nothing i encounter on here will ever bother me, but you really? common reread your original post and tell me that you wrote that with even a grain of humility... Who are you to say what a katana is or isn't? This is the very reason I called it and you pretentious. There is more to culture then just knowing the history. If im a cow boy and I wanna call my gun a cowboy gun or a pea shooter who is anyone else to balk at that? Semantics~ Before you start calling me closed minded take a look at yourself and really ask yourself if that opening statement was anything but close minded. "First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT!" Yes O' great one because you are the authority are you not?.... bah that borders on down right arogence. But you don't care from what I have seen you have plenty of miscreants who are more then happy to expound upon your narrow minded views... "First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT!" , Yes because this is your forum so for all intensive purposes you have the right to do so... have fun with that.


You obviously have not seen enough people get injured through their ignorance to understand what reason I made this thread.
I guess you were just too sensitive to get along. Well if such small things upset you, you don't belong in this group.
Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

blackfaceboy wrote:

Humility? humility really? can you really make that claim to be a humble person? I can go along to get along just fine, and for that matter I don't really care about making fictious friendships over the web, so nothing i encounter on here will ever bother me, but you really? common reread your original post and tell me that you wrote that with even a grain of humility... Who are you to say what a katana is or isn't? This is the very reason I called it and you pretentious. There is more to culture then just knowing the history. If im a cow boy and I wanna call my gun a cowboy gun or a pea shooter who is anyone else to balk at that? Semantics~ Before you start calling me closed minded take a look at yourself and really ask yourself if that opening statement was anything but close minded. "First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT!" Yes O' great one because you are the authority are you not?.... bah that borders on down right arogence. But you don't care from what I have seen you have plenty of miscreants who are more then happy to expound upon your narrow minded views... "First I'll start by saying what a Katana is NOT!" , Yes because this is your forum so for all intensive purposes you have the right to do so... have fun with that.



I believe that Ice's started this thread because he wanted to give others the idea of what a katana is not because other than what its not you can say whatever it is you want to. people would have a better Idea of what it is and what it isn't keep in mind that there are many people who have out-of-this world thouhgts of what a katana really is and they could be wrong. Its not a problem to be conservative on the internet, but no you don't always make ficticious friends. The point is to conversate, talk, share views, learn and debate. And the only reason Ice may seem closed minded to you is because he believes in what he says and others challenge it. thats the point. No one is trying to change you views . Ultimately you are entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't mean to say that all "friends" you make online are not real. I make real friends online. I may seem silly and naive to you but thats just you failing to look at it from both views. I understand what you say though. And Ice is humble, but agressive in a way (not violent)
Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08 , edited 8/21/08
Haha I banned him and now he's threatening me saying he's a dangerous person.
Head Moderator
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08
damn it...I was preparing a full retort... geeze Ice, you should have at least waited 5 more minutes.

I had a feeling you were going to ban him so I checked back...
Head Moderator
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

Haha I banned him and now he's threatening me saying he's a dangerous person.


Report him. threats have no place on the internet. :P

Oh, and he's in your other group too if you'd like to remove him before he starts up again. This time he'll do it out of spite.
Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

Haha I banned him and now he's threatening me saying he's a dangerous person.

who blackfaceboy????

Owner
4444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

kiluanne93 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

Haha I banned him and now he's threatening me saying he's a dangerous person.

who blackfaceboy????



Yeah

Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/21/08

Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:


kiluanne93 wrote:


Ice_Blue_Eyes wrote:

Haha I banned him and now he's threatening me saying he's a dangerous person.

who blackfaceboy????



Yeah



ehh it got that bad? thats suprising. i though you'd just like argue, make amends and then we have another addition to activity. oh well. Ice, you really do bite.
Moderator
6618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/21/08
threatening is not defendable, so I guess you are right, immediate action should be taken.writen like 20 mins ago.lol
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.