First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Afterlife is pointless
1328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Closing in
Offline
Posted 8/8/08
If science explains it, it stops being "supernatural". Many things have been seen as supernatural before, like the creation of many things. Now we have an explanation, we don't call it supernatural. But not only objects have stopped being supernatural, weather phenomenas, or even something like madness (we are now longer possessed, although some are sticking to the story). Science has explained many phenomenas previously "divine", "supernatural" or otherwise mysterious. So yes, science can explain the supernatural, but it will no longer be supernatural (beyond nature).

The idea of reincarnation is not Buddhas idea, I remember clearly that he just absorded the idea (from my history books). Who was first is hard to say, many people did not have written languages for a long time, so we can not really say (we can know of evidence supporting that some tribe or people thought of reincarnation, perhaps even had that idea at a time, but not WHEN it was developed precisely). Numerous religions believe in reincarnation, hinduism being the greatest (buddhims is a philosophy).
281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Hell
Offline
Posted 8/8/08
r u kidding? its this life that means nothing
16316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Bangalore,India
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

jestorebo wrote:

If science explains it, it stops being "supernatural". Many things have been seen as supernatural before, like the creation of many things. Now we have an explanation, we don't call it supernatural. But not only objects have stopped being supernatural, weather phenomenas, or even something like madness (we are now longer possessed, although some are sticking to the story). Science has explained many phenomenas previously "divine", "supernatural" or otherwise mysterious. So yes, science can explain the supernatural, but it will no longer be supernatural (beyond nature).

The idea of reincarnation is not Buddhas idea, I remember clearly that he just absorded the idea (from my history books). Who was first is hard to say, many people did not have written languages for a long time, so we can not really say (we can know of evidence supporting that some tribe or people thought of reincarnation, perhaps even had that idea at a time, but not WHEN it was developed precisely). Numerous religions believe in reincarnation, hinduism being the greatest (buddhims is a philosophy).


Native Americans also believed in reincarnation. I'm not sure, but can anyone clarify?
5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

BunnizGoRAWR wrote:

r u kidding? its this life that means nothing


So why do we bother to stay alive? Why not just jump in front of a bus and go to the more "meaningful" life?
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:


BunnizGoRAWR wrote:

r u kidding? its this life that means nothing


So why do we bother to stay alive? Why not just jump in front of a bus and go to the more "meaningful" life?


Jesus frowns upon your silly little plots of getting to heaven faster.
5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

leviathan343 wrote:

Jesus frowns upon your silly little plots of getting to heaven faster.


Nobody likes a tease.

What's the point of reproducing then if we're just bringing more people into this "meaningless" life?
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Jesus frowns upon your silly little plots of getting to heaven faster.


Nobody likes a tease.

What's the point of reproducing then if we're just bringing more people into this "meaningless" life?


DON'T YOU QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY'S PLANS! YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND HIS THOUGHTS FOR OUR FUTURE.

But seriously...what/who gives meaning to human life? People themselves.

5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

leviathan343 wrote:

DON'T YOU QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY'S PLANS! YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND HIS THOUGHTS FOR OUR FUTURE.

But seriously...what/who gives meaning to human life? People themselves.



Well according to the guy I originally quoted, nothing that humans have accomplished throughout history or anything we will ever accomplish has any meaning. Or maybe he was just referring to his life...
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:

Well according to the guy I originally quoted, nothing that humans have accomplished throughout history or anything we will ever accomplish has any meaning. Or maybe he was just referring to his life...


Meaning is entirely subjective, so it can only be bestowed by conscious beings. So in a sense he's right. On the other hand, I don't envy how his personal philosophy is affecting his life.
755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 8/8/08

leviathan343 wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Jesus frowns upon your silly little plots of getting to heaven faster.


Nobody likes a tease.

What's the point of reproducing then if we're just bringing more people into this "meaningless" life?


DON'T YOU QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY'S PLANS! YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND HIS THOUGHTS FOR OUR FUTURE.


But seriously...what/who gives meaning to human life? People themselves.



A very typical comment coming out from most people. I never expected it's coming from you LOL
4559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 8/9/08

leviathan343 wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

Jesus frowns upon your silly little plots of getting to heaven faster.


Nobody likes a tease.

What's the point of reproducing then if we're just bringing more people into this "meaningless" life?


DON'T YOU QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY'S PLANS! YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND HIS THOUGHTS FOR OUR FUTURE.

But seriously...what/who gives meaning to human life? People themselves.



Actually it is true that people are born 'meaningless' much like any existentialists would agree including myself but christian existentialists say that later on in life we're not the only ones who can give meaning to ourselves but so is God and doing so is, quoting Kierkegaard, 'a leap of faith'.
281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Hell
Offline
Posted 8/9/08

Cuddlebuns wrote:


BunnizGoRAWR wrote:

r u kidding? its this life that means nothing


So why do we bother to stay alive? Why not just jump in front of a bus and go to the more "meaningful" life?


i didn't mean meant nothing like that, i mean u have to face it, 80 years versus eternity? this is a puny amount of time, and the next life is what we should be looking to, where we want to spend that one
755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 8/9/08

BunnizGoRAWR wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:


BunnizGoRAWR wrote:

r u kidding? its this life that means nothing


So why do we bother to stay alive? Why not just jump in front of a bus and go to the more "meaningful" life?


i didn't mean meant nothing like that, i mean u have to face it, 80 years versus eternity? this is a puny amount of time, and the next life is what we should be looking to, where we want to spend that one


Yes, assuming afterlife really exist. You may believe in it,but some people don't. Why do we bother to stay alive? because we are alive.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 8/9/08 , edited 8/9/08

tweety_cool wrote:

A very typical comment coming out from most people. I never expected it's coming from you LOL


Eh? Most people say it but actually let other things dictate their lives. It's easy to say, almost impossible to live out.


zendude wrote:

Yay! "LAWL"

Levi, you are a real pluralistic and libertarian sage.


Be careful which 'libertarian' you are calling me. Some groups labeled under libertarianism I particularly abhor (*cough* Objectivists *cough*)


crunchypibb wrote:

Actually it is true that people are born 'meaningless' much like any existentialists would agree including myself but christian existentialists say that later on in life we're not the only ones who can give meaning to ourselves but so is God and doing so is, quoting Kierkegaard, 'a leap of faith'.


One of the few Christian-related philosophies I respect. Especially since it returns Christianity to its original role as a guide to following Christ rather than an explanation for everything in the universe.
Posted 8/9/08
After Life...What A Load Of B*** S*** =
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.