First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Japanese Characters (Letters)
Posted 7/30/08 , edited 9/29/08
ひらがな Hiragana

あ - a - like when you open your mouth at the doctors, you say aaaaah~
い - i - i sounds like the e in eat
う - u - sounds like ooo
え - e - is an eh sound like in net
お - o - like the o in box

か - ka - like car
き -ki - this is pretty mutch just key
く - ku - sounds like koo
け - ke - like keg of beer
こ - ko - like as in coin

さ - sa - samurai sword
し - shi - like she had long hair
す - su - sushi train
せ - se - sun set
そ - so - sewing

た - ta - like tartin
ち - chi - chicken
つ - tsu - tsunami
て - te - tennis racket
と - to - nail in toe

な - na - narnia
に - ni - knee
ぬ - nu - noodles
ね - ne - netball hoop
の - no - no smokeing

は - ha - haha hole in keg
ひ - hi - hehe you laugh funny
ふ - fu - Mt. Fuji
へ - he - stairway to heaven
ほ - ho - hat on hot day

ま - ma - March
み - mi - minny mouce turns 21
む - mu - moo cow
め - me - messy noodles
も - mo - more fish

や - ya - yak
ゆ - yu - U-turn
よ - yo - yoyo

ら - ra - rabbit
り - ri - reeds in the water
る - ru - ruby
れ - re - man resting
ろ - ro - ruby was robbed

わ - wa - magic wand
を - o - olympic discus being thrown
ん - n - no

Katakana カタカナ
you use katakana for english names or words like my name is written フィオナ because it is english.. just like orange: オレンジ. because it is taken from the english language, the katakana letters are used.
ア - a
イ - i
ウ - u
エ - e
オ - o

カ - ka
キ - ki
ク - ku
ケ - ke
コ - ko

サ - sa
シ - shi
ス - su
セ - se
ソ - so

タ - ta
チ - chi
ツ - tsu
テ - te
ト - to

ナ - na
二 - ni
ヌ - nu
ネ - ne
ノ - no

ハ - ha
ヒ - hi
フ - fu
へ - he
ホ - ho

マ - ma
ミ - mi
ム - mu
メ - me
モ - mo

ヤ - ya
ユ - yu
ヨ - yo

ラ - ra
リ - ri
ル - ru
レ - re
ロ - ro

ワ - wa
ㅋ - o
ン - n

When you see double dots or 'ten ten' ( " ) nexto a letter then it changes the sound of the first letter like 'ha' with double dots becomes 'ba' and 'sa' becomes 'za'. If there is a little circle or 'maru' ( º ) nexto one of the 'ha'-'ho' letters it makes the first letter a 'p'. here are all the ten ten and maru canges:


Ten Ten:

ざ - za - ザ
じ - zi - ジ
ず - zu - ズ
ぜ - ze - ゼ
ぞ - zo - ゾ

ば - ba - バ
び - bi - ビ
ぶ - bu - ブ
べ - be - ベ
ぼ - bo - ボ

が - ga - ガ
ぎ - gi - ギ
ぐ - gu - グ
げ - ge - ゲ
ご - go - ゴ

だ- da
ぢ- ji
づ- zu
で- de
ど- do


Maru:
ぱ - pa - パ
ぴ - pi - ピ
ぷ - pu - プ
ぺ - pe - ペ
ぽ - po - ポ
Member
6619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / クリーブランドオハイオ州
Offline
Posted 8/6/08 , edited 2/7/09
Characters were one of the easiest things to learn in Japanese (you just gotta keep studing)
*Hiragana* there saving katakana for 10th grade ><

-Posted this at the Beginning of 10th grade-
Member
6792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 8/10/08
its hard but i will try my best to learn these.... thank you very much.....
Member
51966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 8/11/08
wait ! wen do you use katakana? I mean what do you replace in hiragana?
1843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 9/1/08
れみえら <<for Remiela.. but Remiera in japan isn't it? they caNt say 'L' in japan.. am i right? hehehhe :sweatingbullets:
and is this correct: "watashi noema RemieLa desu" <<is that right?
1843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 9/1/08

jakari wrote:

wait ! wen do you use katakana? I mean what do you replace in hiragana?


yha... aGrEe w/ tHaT. because isn't it in Hiragana they have A, E, I, O & U.. and so as the Katakana.. can u write it either the 2 of them? i mean, can pick what u want of the two: Katakana and Hiragana? or just one?
Member
51966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 9/1/08 , edited 9/1/08

kobjin2hamsters wrote:


jakari wrote:

wait ! wen do you use katakana? I mean what do you replace in hiragana?


yha... aGrEe w/ tHaT. because isn't it in Hiragana they have A, E, I, O & U.. and so as the Katakana.. can u write it either the 2 of them? i mean, can pick what u want of the two: Katakana and Hiragana? or just one?


Ohs, I guess you use katakana for foreign words only like bai bai but how do I kno which words are foriegn n which arent? lolz. btw ! your a HP fan? are you sad that the nx movie doesnt come out for 11months ?

Member
2115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / OuO
Offline
Posted 9/6/08
日本語がすごいですね、日本語が学んでいます、でも、僕の日本語は悪いですよ、ごめなさい。

でも、先生をできます、少し。

Translation for anyone who cant read that lol.
Japanese is cool, Im studying right now, but, my Japanese is bad, sorry.

But, I can be a teacher, a lil bit.
Posted 9/7/08
を<--- how do you read that one
Member
2115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / OuO
Offline
Posted 9/7/08

misuho wrote:

を<--- how do you read that one

You read it 'wo', but if it comes after the direct object of the sentence, lets say, 私たちが地を行きました (we went to earth) 地 earth, would be the direct object of the sentence, which there, it would be pronounced 'o'

私たちが地をいきました。
watashi tachi ga chi O ikimashita.
We went to earth. (lit. we earth went.)

Usually pronounced 'o', but rarely pronounced 'wo'. It is usually only to be used as the direct object marker of the sentence, which it comes after the direct object and points out that that thing that is being talked about is the direct object, earth being the direct object of the sentence above.
Posted 9/8/08

MasakiKudo wrote:


misuho wrote:

を<--- how do you read that one

You read it 'wo', but if it comes after the direct object of the sentence, lets say, 私たちが地を行きました (we went to earth) 地 earth, would be the direct object of the sentence, which there, it would be pronounced 'o'

私たちが地をいきました。
watashi tachi ga chi O ikimashita.
We went to earth. (lit. we earth went.)

Usually pronounced 'o', but rarely pronounced 'wo'. It is usually only to be used as the direct object marker of the sentence, which it comes after the direct object and points out that that thing that is being talked about is the direct object, earth being the direct object of the sentence above.



tnak you very much
Member
2115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / OuO
Offline
Posted 9/8/08

misuho wrote:


MasakiKudo wrote:


misuho wrote:

を<--- how do you read that one

You read it 'wo', but if it comes after the direct object of the sentence, lets say, 私たちが地を行きました (we went to earth) 地 earth, would be the direct object of the sentence, which there, it would be pronounced 'o'

私たちが地をいきました。
watashi tachi ga chi O ikimashita.
We went to earth. (lit. we earth went.)

Usually pronounced 'o', but rarely pronounced 'wo'. It is usually only to be used as the direct object marker of the sentence, which it comes after the direct object and points out that that thing that is being talked about is the direct object, earth being the direct object of the sentence above.



tnak you very much

Hehe, no problem. :)
Posted 9/29/08

jakari wrote:


kobjin2hamsters wrote:


jakari wrote:

wait ! wen do you use katakana? I mean what do you replace in hiragana?


yha... aGrEe w/ tHaT. because isn't it in Hiragana they have A, E, I, O & U.. and so as the Katakana.. can u write it either the 2 of them? i mean, can pick what u want of the two: Katakana and Hiragana? or just one?


Ohs, I guess you use katakana for foreign words only like bai bai but how do I kno which words are foriegn n which arent? lolz. btw ! your a HP fan? are you sad that the nx movie doesnt come out for 11months ?



sorry for not writeing that in the first place but its in there now..... you use katakana for english words because they are taken from the english language. its for sounding out english words i guess.. dunno exactly how to explain it.. i will ask my japanese teacher when school starts up again.
Posted 9/29/08

MasakiKudo wrote:

日本語がすごいですね、日本語が学んでいます、でも、僕の日本語は悪いですよ、ごめなさい。

でも、先生をできます、少し。

Translation for anyone who cant read that lol.
Japanese is cool, Im studying right now, but, my Japanese is bad, sorry.

But, I can be a teacher, a lil bit.


mm ok.. its read nihongo ga sugoidesune, nihongo ga gakundeimasu, demo, watashi no nihongo wa [some katakana i havent learnt yet]idesuyo, gomenasai.
and basically it means japanese is amaseing isnt it, i study japanese, but, i cant speek it verry well, very sorry. (i think) correct me if im wrong.
Member
51966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 9/29/08

YeSungSARANGHAE wrote:


jakari wrote:


kobjin2hamsters wrote:


jakari wrote:

wait ! wen do you use katakana? I mean what do you replace in hiragana?


yha... aGrEe w/ tHaT. because isn't it in Hiragana they have A, E, I, O & U.. and so as the Katakana.. can u write it either the 2 of them? i mean, can pick what u want of the two: Katakana and Hiragana? or just one?


Ohs, I guess you use katakana for foreign words only like bai bai but how do I kno which words are foriegn n which arent? lolz. btw ! your a HP fan? are you sad that the nx movie doesnt come out for 11months ?



sorry for not writeing that in the first place but its in there now..... you use katakana for english words because they are taken from the english language. its for sounding out english words i guess.. dunno exactly how to explain it.. i will ask my japanese teacher when school starts up again.


Aa, arigato ! =]
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.