First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Should marijuana be legalized?
2343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Foxwoods
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
It really dosent matter if it is made legal or not ppl are still gonna smoke it
2198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / ...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
if it was legal u would get a higher death rate. havent u seen those commercials where these homies sitting in their car waiting for their fast food and then accidently hit a little girl on her bike.
2343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Foxwoods
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
ummmm it is illegal buddy
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
My stance: Yes, it should be decriminalised. Four main reasons:

1. it could be used as a medicinal aid for those who suffer from chronic physical pains, e.g. cancer patients, those with severe CP, and such. It's proven that marijuana works for this type of patients and doctors are the biggest group of supporters for decriminalising marijuana.

This is the biggest reason why I'm for decriminalising marijuana. If this country decriminalise it only to a certain level that only doctors can be allowed to prescribe majrijuana, I'm happy enough to let it stand as it is. 90% illegal and 10% legal, say.

2. Fewer people in prisons. In this country prisons are dangerously overcrowded and a huge drain on taxes, legal resources and administration, and it's a criminal training ground for people who shouldn't be there. By this I mean people who were found guilty of using it were sent to prison end up learning more than what they should, which is likely to introduce them to criminal activities.

Sometimes in prison they are introduced to hard drugs like heroin, which makes their imprisonment pretty ironic. There are many in the legal profession (court judges, especially) and civil service (the police, for instance) who agree that decriminalising marijuana would resolve a lot of issues of this area. Fewer people in prison; more time for the police to deal with serious cases such as rapists, murderers, child abusers and such; more cases through court would be processed effectively and quickly; potentially lower taxes, and so on.

3. it's more difficult for children (under 16) to buy alcohol than to buy drugs including marijuana because of the fact that, say, marijuana is illegal, therefore it's harder for the police to control and/or moderate drugs scene for children's safety.

If someone is found guilty of selling alcohol to a kid, he'll be made an example to deter other shop keepers from selling alcohol to kids. But with drugs? No chance. It's a free for all world. Wouldn't it be better to legalise marijuana to ensure that kids won't find it such a temptation nor get ripped off by dodgy sellers?

4. We all are responsible for ourselves. I believe that it should have legal conditions attached, like alcohol and cigarettes: you have to be 18, you're not allowed to sell it, etc. With these in place we should have a right to decide whether we want to use it or not. It's not a Class 'A' drug and it does not endanger other people's lives.

Effects of smoking marijuana that could lead to death amounts to waiting to cross a busy road. Marijuana smokers tend to be like sloths - too mellow to jump about endangering others, get in a fight or rob a granny, which makes them a lot, lot and lot safer than those who drink alcohol.

I strongly believe that if marijuana is decriminalised, all those who would like to try it should be aware of all possible risks - the way we know about smoking and drinking. Smoking marijuana constantly is likely to cause or trigger a mental illness, for instance. It's a depressant drug, pretty much like alcohol and cigarettes, so if users are aware of this then they should decide for themselves whether they want to screw up their health.

So, yes, I'm all for decriminalising marijuana, especially where medical issues are concerned.
Unicorn Princess
17230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

digs wrote:

It does hurt your brain though, and the smoke probably hurts your lungs like tabaco smoking.


Please stop writing. You have obviously not done any research on this subject. It is almost impossible for someone to damage your lungs in a way such as using tobacco. If you just look at the amount of cigarettes a person will smoke in a day and an amount of marijuana a person will smoke, there is a huge difference. You can get by with smoking small amounts of marijuana because of the numerous methods of intaking the substance.

Marijuana does not "hurt" your brain in a sense that it makes you stupid. There are no connections that show (there have been tests done) that marijuana kills brain cells.

"Marijuana is neither a stimulant nor a depressant; instead it is both at the same time. We get simultaneous stimulating and sedating effects with marijuana which is why it is so misunderstood by the medical profession and the scientists for whom “both / and” instead of an “either / or” ethic is in place. Marijuana balances the autonomic nervous system (ANS) by its sedative / stimulant qualities which take place by its action on the hypothalamus part of the brain – the brain-center or the place from whence the autonomic system receives its instructions. The ANS is that part of our system which is responsible for all non-voluntary activity of the body / mind, such as rate of heart beat, size of pupils, rate of breath, chemical mixes in body fluids, etc. The actual mechanism by which marijuana balances our automatic system is through the cannabinoid network which is the cellular receptor system that is compatible with the cannabis compounds, which are found all over our bodies." [http://www.benefitsofmarijuana.com/ask.html]
===

"Unlike tobacco, cannabis has not been shown to cause emphysema, lung cancer, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.[53][54][55] Other studies have suggested that cannabis may be less likely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users than other drugs.[56][57] According to a United Kingdom government report, using cannabis is less dangerous than both tobacco and alcohol in social harms, physical harm and addiction.[58]" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)]

I personally see no reason for marijuana to be illegal if alcohol and tobacco are legal. Alcohol can actually be lethal; it is almost physically impossible to ingest enough marijuana to be lethal. The only link to medical problems with marijuana is really only that it impairs short-term memory any other side effects that last only while you are taking the substance (sometimes the effects will last a few days however). Also, marijuana rather than increasing aggression, decreases aggression (unlike alcohol). That pretty much gets rid of the whole argument about how marijuana will cause violence and chaos.

"In other words, to overdose, you would have to consume 40,000 times as much marijuana as you needed to get stoned. In contrast, the ratio for alcohol varies between 1 to 4 and 1 to 10. It is easy to see how upwards of 5000 people die from alcohol overdoses every year and no one EVER dies of marijuana overdoses." [http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html]

Oh, and for you all to know; marijuana is no more of a "gateway" drug to other illegal substances than alcohol or tobacco.

That's my two cents.
5417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

redgarnettk wrote:


digs wrote:

It does hurt your brain though, and the smoke probably hurts your lungs like tabaco smoking.


Please stop writing. You have obviously not done any research on this subject. It is almost impossible for someone to damage your lungs in a way such as using tobacco. If you just look at the amount of cigarettes a person will smoke in a day and an amount of marijuana a person will smoke, there is a huge difference. You can get by with smoking small amounts of marijuana because of the numerous methods of intaking the substance.

Marijuana does not "hurt" your brain in a sense that it makes you stupid. There are no connections that show (there have been tests done) that marijuana kills brain cells.

"Marijuana is neither a stimulant nor a depressant; instead it is both at the same time. We get simultaneous stimulating and sedating effects with marijuana which is why it is so misunderstood by the medical profession and the scientists for whom “both / and” instead of an “either / or” ethic is in place. Marijuana balances the autonomic nervous system (ANS) by its sedative / stimulant qualities which take place by its action on the hypothalamus part of the brain – the brain-center or the place from whence the autonomic system receives its instructions. The ANS is that part of our system which is responsible for all non-voluntary activity of the body / mind, such as rate of heart beat, size of pupils, rate of breath, chemical mixes in body fluids, etc. The actual mechanism by which marijuana balances our automatic system is through the cannabinoid network which is the cellular receptor system that is compatible with the cannabis compounds, which are found all over our bodies." [http://www.benefitsofmarijuana.com/ask.html]
===

"Unlike tobacco, cannabis has not been shown to cause emphysema, lung cancer, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.[53][54][55] Other studies have suggested that cannabis may be less likely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users than other drugs.[56][57] According to a United Kingdom government report, using cannabis is less dangerous than both tobacco and alcohol in social harms, physical harm and addiction.[58]" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)]

I personally see no reason for marijuana to be illegal if alcohol and tobacco are legal. Alcohol can actually be lethal; it is almost physically impossible to ingest enough marijuana to be lethal. The only link to medical problems with marijuana is really only that it impairs short-term memory any other side effects that last only while you are taking the substance (sometimes the effects will last a few days however). Also, marijuana rather than increasing aggression, decreases aggression (unlike alcohol). That pretty much gets rid of the whole argument about how marijuana will cause violence and chaos.

"In other words, to overdose, you would have to consume 40,000 times as much marijuana as you needed to get stoned. In contrast, the ratio for alcohol varies between 1 to 4 and 1 to 10. It is easy to see how upwards of 5000 people die from alcohol overdoses every year and no one EVER dies of marijuana overdoses." [http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html]

Oh, and for you all to know; marijuana is no more of a "gateway" drug to other illegal substances than alcohol or tobacco.

That's my two cents.


Sorry to break it to you but scientific research nowadays are biased and very and uberly subjective.

Med Facts:
1. Too much off something is definitely not good.
2. Marijuana does exhaust some vital stuff in your body...which therefore causes disruption in the balance of your body.
3. The liver filters chemicals that are not needed by the body (complex chemicals). Even food coloring can kill your liver, what more if it was marijuana.
4. The liver only starts the filtering when you are asleep around 11:00 p.m. (This is a proven fact). If too much marijuana made it to your brain before the liver filters it you surely are a goner since the brain ONLY SPECIFICALLY NEEDS nourishments like sodium and oxygen.

Social Facts
1. People will not submit to anything especially if they believe that what they think is right, as long as they can rationalize the situation.
2. That being said, learn from history. Companies of the tobacco industry hired experts and scientists to prove that smoking is healthy for you. And the research was critically plausible except the fact that what is happening is present, which means that it was biased. Freaking ironically, the same experts and scientists are again hired by the petroleum companies to prove that global warming is bull. They said that it was just a natural phenomena and the chain will break in a few years. Take note: people use science to manipulate other people.
3. Marijuana is "culturally" accepted so that means if others do it, so should you?
Unicorn Princess
17230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
No really? I never knew that too much of something could be bad for me! /sarcasm

If I drink too much water, I can die. If I jump into a pool and I don't know how to swim, I can die. That doesn't mean water should be illegal. What you are doing is nitpicking.


reikiaddict wrote:

2. Marijuana does exhaust some vital stuff in your body...which therefore causes disruption in the balance of your body.


Okay, medically, tell me exactly what marijuana does to exhaust the "vital stuff"* in my body. I'm sure I can list of numerous things that can also exhaust that "vital stuff"* in my body. Actually, list off ANYTHING and I can give you reasons as to how that thing can be potentially dangerous towards someone.

I'm all for people stating opinions and such but point 2 under social facts is a load of bull. You're basically eliminating any knowledge on the subject to 'prove' your point. You're basically just saying "I'm only going to allow _, _, and _ of knowledge to support my claims. Ignore the fact that _, _, and _ are valid points and are scientifically shown. That could disprove my point so I can't allow it!"

* What the hell is "vital stuff"?
Engineer
88001 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
I don't really care either way. I think it would be better if people didn't feel the need to depend on drugs. Be it recreational or medicinal. In my opinion, drugs make people weaker. The specific ways it weakens a person depends on the drug. Medicinal drugs usually make your immune system weaker and recreational drugs usually make you mentally weaker. I know it doesnt kill brain cells, but it takes strain off of your brain so your brain is no longer being utilized enough to promote growth. Struggle is needed to become stronger or remain strong, both mentally and physically.

Anyway, I'm a person who will never drink or do drugs. I very seldom use medicinal drugs anymore. All of last years I think i only took some Excedrin or something and that was when i was REALLY sick. I didn't want to, but my brother made me.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
^ The Vital stuff is your brain, heart, and some other major organs and I agree with you.
I don't think weed should be legalized. Why? Because it gives people an excuse to use it legally. You know its bad for your health, so why do it?

My grandfather said that when he was little, all anyone ever used to give you were cigarettes cigarettes, CIGARETTES!!! And he died from throat cancer 2 years ago...

And of course the people are going to tell you that marijuana is good for you. SO that way you'll BUY IT!!!

Do you really think that by children being aware of what marijuana does to them they won't use it!?! Of course they'll still smoke it, just like underage children drink and smoke cigarettes, these people aren't thinking "Oh in ten years I might have brain damage" or " This could increase my chances of a stroke!"
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
^ What the hell? Who said marijuana is good for you? I don't think anyone is saying that. Unless you are interpreting marijuana as a pain relief as a 'it's good for you'? If so. you got it wrong.
5417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

redgarnettk wrote:

No really? I never knew that too much of something could be bad for me! /sarcasm

If I drink too much water, I can die. If I jump into a pool and I don't know how to swim, I can die. That doesn't mean water should be illegal. What you are doing is nitpicking.


reikiaddict wrote:

2. Marijuana does exhaust some vital stuff in your body...which therefore causes disruption in the balance of your body.


Okay, medically, tell me exactly what marijuana does to exhaust the "vital stuff"* in my body. I'm sure I can list of numerous things that can also exhaust that "vital stuff"* in my body. Actually, list off ANYTHING and I can give you reasons as to how that thing can be potentially dangerous towards someone.

I'm all for people stating opinions and such but point 2 under social facts is a load of bull. You're basically eliminating any knowledge on the subject to 'prove' your point. You're basically just saying "I'm only going to allow _, _, and _ of knowledge to support my claims. Ignore the fact that _, _, and _ are valid points and are scientifically shown. That could disprove my point so I can't allow it!"

* What the hell is "vital stuff"?


It is because if you ban water you will also die but you will not die if you ban drugs. Besides I dun think a large mass of people will try to abuse water...This manipulation of facts and rationalizing it for your own benefit is obviously a sign of subjectivity.

I am not saying that point # 2 out of my own opinion. It is in fact in the news and I would not be surprised because it was only written corner of the newspaper...I dunno which one, and it was on the news. We even debated about it in my geometry class....weird.

Are you aware that carcinogens consume what is essentially needed by the brain? Like I said for example Sodium. It is needed in order to keep the brain firing its synapses. These carcinogens well maybe it would be easier to use free radicals. They combine with nutrients that is needed by the body. Marijuana itself introduces these carcinogens into the body, even if it does or does not reach the brain, it will kill your body, and when something is wrong in your body, everything is affected.
1560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

catex wrote:

^ What the hell? Who said marijuana is good for you? I don't think anyone is saying that. Unless you are interpreting marijuana as a pain relief as a 'it's good for you'? If so. you got it wrong.


Go back and read the first few pages, patients want their doctors to administer weed to them as a medical drug. That's been a huge arguement for the legalization of marijuana for months!

5417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

latanya129 wrote:


catex wrote:

^ What the hell? Who said marijuana is good for you? I don't think anyone is saying that. Unless you are interpreting marijuana as a pain relief as a 'it's good for you'? If so. you got it wrong.


Go back and read the first few pages, patients want their doctors to administer weed to them as a medical drug.



If ever you've read the book called "To KIll a Mockingbird" you will know that those patients are either wusses or desperate. Or maybe they dun want their loved ones to see them suffer. in that case use MORPHINE not marijauna.
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
One of those posts is mine.

Listen, when you are dying of cancer and you're in severe discomfort or pain - shouldn't you have a right to die with dignity? Why suffer needlessly when you could have something to relief those pains?

Secondly whatever happens to the concept of taking personal responsibility?

I don't smoke weed and I educate my younger brothers heavily enough to ensure that they know what they are dealing with for the day they are offered marijuana (ideally they would refuse but I'm realistic enough to know they might give it a try), but it doesn't mean we should decide what's best for other people who are old enough to make decisions for themselves.

If we trust people to make decisions whether to drink, smoke cigarettes or drive, then we sure as hell should trust people to decide whether to smoke marijuana or not.
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

catex wrote:

One of those posts is mine.

Listen, when you are dying of cancer and you're in severe discomfort or pain - shouldn't you have a right to die with dignity? Why suffer needlessly when you could have something to relief those pains?

Secondly whatever happens to the concept of taking personal responsibility?

I don't smoke weed and I educate my younger brothers heavily enough to ensure that they know what they are dealing with for the day they are offered marijuana (ideally they would refuse but I'm realistic enough to know they might give it a try), but it doesn't mean we should decide what's best for other people who are old enough to make decisions for themselves.

If we trust people to make decisions whether to drink, smoke cigarettes or drive, then we sure as hell should trust people to decide whether to smoke marijuana or not.




If ever you've read the book called "To KIll a Mockingbird" you will know that those patients are either wusses or desperate. Or maybe they dun want their loved ones to see them suffer. in that case use MORPHINE not marijauna.
You did a lot of research on marijuana, so I suggest do some on the use of morphine among cancer patients.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.