Remove this ad
First  Prev  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  Next  Last
Should marijuana be legalized?
47028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Prattville, AL
Offline
Posted 1/13/11
As long as it doesn't hurt other people or infringe on their rights, yes. Yes, it should be legal. If alcohol and tobacco are legal, there's no real reason that weed can't be.
Posted 1/13/11 , edited 1/13/11

superluccix wrote:



Freedom is freedom no matter how you put it. I can still retain enough emotions or thoughts necessary to do this. When I play a video game, I dont need to have 100% control to play a game.

You saying I need to be in control in order to have freedom is BS. If Im asleep, I obviously dont know when Im asleep, and I obviously cant control what happens there.

It matters not what state of mind Im in, freedom exists everywhere it exists
Are you still free when you're enslaved by your pleasure and pain as your sovereign masters? No, you're only a slave of whatever that manipulates your emotions: marijuana. You pleasure hog.

Nature has placed mankind under the government of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure - they govern us in all we do, in all we say, in all we think: every effort we can make to throw off our subjection, will serve but to demonstrate and confirm

-Jeremy Bentham-



TheOneElectronic wrote:

As long as it doesn't hurt other people or infringe on their rights, yes. Yes, it should be legal. If alcohol and tobacco are legal, there's no real reason that weed can't be.
How about their relatives hurt feelings? For having to deal with their stoned loved ones not emotionally reciprocating nor responsive.
53810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Atlanta GA
Online
Posted 1/13/11
You should, have the right to kill yourself or do self destructive things., Alcohol tobacco or other drugs just do not look at me to pay for your life style when your lifestyle choice, cost me money that were I cut the line. My views are the same for motorcyclist you do not want to wear a helmet fine but if brain damaged from not wearing one I think that person needs to be put down.
47028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Prattville, AL
Offline
Posted 1/14/11

DomFortress wrote:


TheOneElectronic wrote:

As long as it doesn't hurt other people or infringe on their rights, yes. Yes, it should be legal. If alcohol and tobacco are legal, there's no real reason that weed can't be.
How about their relatives hurt feelings? For having to deal with their stoned loved ones not emotionally reciprocating nor responsive.



For those that choose to smoke weed, then they have to make that choice as to whether or not it's worthwhile to smoke it despite their relatives' possible hurt feelings. It shouldn't be up to the government to dole out the morality to be followed, which is precisely what they're doing. It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Bear in mind that this comes from someone who hasn't done an illegal narcotic in close to ten years, and recently quit smoking cigarettes a little over a year ago.
Posted 1/14/11

TheOneElectronic wrote:




For those that choose to smoke weed, then they have to make that choice as to whether or not it's worthwhile to smoke it despite their relatives' possible hurt feelings. It shouldn't be up to the government to dole out the morality to be followed, which is precisely what they're doing. It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Bear in mind that this comes from someone who hasn't done an illegal narcotic in close to ten years, and recently quit smoking cigarettes a little over a year ago.
It's only a war when there are dishonesty and misinformation that's misleading people into certain beliefs. If all choices were represented with real facts about all of their subsequent risk, cost, and consequences, then what we have here is a market operating on the principle of fairness. A freedom from exploitation and manipulation using the mental process known as practical wisdom, instead of basic button-pressing instinct that befits monkeys.

And just like how the popular opinion dictates the societal attitude to think that violent gaming is a "boy culture", the majority of them forget the fact that gender is also a byproduct of parental culture. So what's not to say that the marijuana usage was a culturally learn behavior for repressing emotional vulnerability? Just like how the gaming culture is sustained by elaborately designed corporate advertisement that's impersonally socializing children.
3691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / South Carolina
Offline
Posted 1/20/11

digs wrote:

I think it should stay illegal. If it was legal there would be numerous car wrecks because people will smoke it and drive. It can't be good for you to smoke and it impares your judgment.


I agree, but i don't think that it will stay illegal for long....so many states are now allowing it..
Posted 1/28/11
Yo!

. The dangers of marijuana use have been exaggerated for almost a century and the modern scientific record does not support the reefer madness predictions of the past and present. Many claims of marijuana's danger are based on old 20th century prejudices that originated in a time when science was uncertain how marijuana produced its characteristic effects. Since the cannabinoid receptor system was discovered in the late 1980s these hysterical concerns about marijuana's dangerousness have not been confirmed with modern research. Everyone agrees that marijuana, or any other drug use such as alcohol or tobacco use, is not for children. Nonetheless, adults have demonstrated over the last several decades that marijuana can be used moderately without harmful impacts to the individual or society.

So, don't bogart that joint....

Legalize it.....improve the forkin economy and take it from the dealers....
2267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/28/11
Marijuana and its effects

Can you get addicted to marijuana?

Yes, you can. Some people have a hard time quitting and have to find treatment.

They may feel they need the drug, and get anxious when they don’t have any.

Some people who use a lot of marijuana every day and then quit suddenly may have problems sleeping. They may get anxious, irritable or nervous without the drug. Or they may have an upset stomach or lose their appetite. These symptoms rarely last more than a few days.

Is marijuana harmful?

Yes. If you smoke marijuana, it can harm you. Many people don’t know this, but marijuana smoke contains more tar and more of some cancer-causing chemicals than tobacco smoke.

Here are some other ways that marijuana use can harm you:

* To get the maximum effect, people who smoke marijuana often inhale more deeply and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers do. This increases the risk of cancer.
* Smoking marijuana irritates your lungs and has been linked to chronic cough and bronchitis. It may also make asthma worse.
* In people at high risk of developing schizophrenia, marijuana may bring on symptoms earlier.
* If you're pregnant, the more marijuana you smoke, the more likely your baby will have problems (such as being too small).
* Using a lot of marijuana for a long time may make it harder to pay attention, remember things and learn.
* Large doses of marijuana can lead to “toxic psychosis.” This can cause people to hallucinate (see or hear things that aren’t really there), become paranoid (feel like people are out to get them) and believe things that aren’t true. These symptoms usually disappear within a week after the person stops using marijuana.
* Marijuana that you buy illegally may contain other drugs, or harmful pesticides or fungus.
* You may make decisions while using marijuana that you regret later.
* Marijuana affects your co-ordination and makes it harder to concentrate and react. This makes it dangerous to do things like ride a bicycle, drive a car or operate machinery.

Fast facts

There are at least 400 chemicals in marijuana.

Did you know?

If you smoke marijuana, the effects last for several hours. But the THC (the main active ingredient) is stored in your fat cells and can stay in your body for days or weeks! This doesn’t mean that you would be high for weeks, but you would test positive on a drug test for THC weeks after you smoked marijuana.

How does marijuana make you feel?

Marijuana affects each person differently. How it affects you depends on:

* how much you use
* how strong it is
* how often you use it
* whether you smoke it or eat it
* your mood and what you expect to happen when you take it
* whether you have drunk alcohol or used other drugs when you take it.

If you use marijuana, you may:

* feel more relaxed and less inhibited—or more anxious, confused, panicky or even paranoid
* be more outgoing and talkative, and laugh more—or you may be quiet and withdrawn
* find that time seems to pass more slowly and distances become distorted
* have keener senses, such as sharpened hearing and vision
* have trouble keeping your balance
* have trouble thinking clearly, remembering things that just happened, and doing some tasks (e.g., homework)
* want to eat a lot (get “the munchies”)
* have a sore throat and lungs
* have increased heart rate
* feel sleepy as the drug wears off
* hallucinate, especially if you use a lot of marijuana at one time
* have a dry mouth and/or red eyes.

The dangers, medical uses, and the law

Is it dangerous to smoke marijuana and drive?

Yes. Marijuana makes it harder to concentrate, pay attention and tell how far away things are, for up to five hours after you use it. It also makes your hands less steady and slows your reaction time; this means you wouldn't be able to react as quickly to a sudden, unexpected emergency. Your risks go up when you combine smoking marijuana with drinking alcohol. All these things may make it harder to drive safely. There is no roadside breathalyzer test for marijuana. But specially trained police can tell if you are high, and you could be charged.

Are there medical uses for marijuana?

Yes. Research has shown that marijuana can relieve nausea and vomiting, and can help a person regain his or her appetite. This can be helpful for people with AIDS or those undergoing cancer treatment. Synthetic THC is used as a prescription medicine for people in these situations. Marijuana may also help relieve pain and reduce muscle spasms - but more research is needed to see how useful it is for these problems.

Fast facts

Health Canada has allowed some people with serious illnesses to grow marijuana for medical use. This is called a medical exemption.

Did you know?

Research shows that you have a greater chance of having a car crash when you drive after using marijuana. After alcohol, marijuana is the second most common drug found in dead and injured drivers.

Did you know?

Mixing marijuana and alcohol is more dangerous than using each drug separately. Mixing even small amounts of marijuana and alcohol can make it dangerous to drive. Many impaired drivers test positive for marijuana and alcohol together.

Can smoking marijuana affect my school performance?

THC remains in your brain for days or weeks, and may affect your memory, speech and learning. Using marijuana regularly also affects your thinking and can make you less motivated.

http://www.camh.net/about_addiction_mental_health/drug_and_addiction_information/about_marijuana.html
Posted 1/28/11
Shinto////

U should know about medicinal medicines from plants and herbs....

time to stop fucking around the bush....

Marijuana The Natural Pain killer

Many people use Medical Marijuana to Reduce pain. The Most common conditions where people use marijuana are:

Cancer
M.S.
Epilepsy
Aids
Glaucoma
Chronic Pain.

Rather that than illegal street methods....or slamming a 6 and driving drunk or popping 3 Oxycontin and driving over a mail box or hitting somebody's child on a bike...

Keep it Real...this is a alternative, not a cure-all.....
12143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
[not] China
Offline
Posted 1/28/11
It should be illegal. I can't believe how many comments on youtube in obama interview were debating about this.

Taking marijuana leads to a gate way to other drugs. So people who take this drug would consider to take other, not to mention more harmful (illegal) drugs.

How can a person possibility convince themselves that marijuana is good for them. Legalizing it would probably get America out of debt, but America will be known as a pot head nation and everyone will go dur-dur-durrarara.

Yes, you can get addicted to it, stop being in denial. And no, marijuana will not make you smarter. You know what is smart? Not taking a test when your high because you think it will actually increase your chance of passing

42061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/28/11 , edited 1/28/11


Under the Law I am free regardless of what state of mind I am in

The fact of the matter is that any excuse you try to make for Drugs I can use for Alcohol. Due to this, everything you say about Drugs is practically meaningless
Posted 1/28/11

superluccix wrote:



Under the Law I am free regardless of what state of mind I am in

The fact of the matter is that any excuse you try to make for Drugs I can use for Alcohol.
Due to this, everything you say about Drugs is practically meaningless
Your law, otherwise known as the humans' law, is an arbitrary concept that has no precedence in nature. That's a fact, not an excuse.

And just like that, your excuses didn't generate enough moral worth to convince me about the moral permissibility of recreational marijuana. Just as how I find alcohol is equally worthless.

And under the natural law which dictates human nature, you're not even free to feel however you would like to feel, without your emotional self being enslaved and manipulated by marijuana.
42061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/28/11
So apparently, due to me being free under the United States Law regardless of what state of mind I am in....means absolutely nothing?

If I am sweating a lot after playing a basketball game....I am not in the right state of mind....since I am clearly tired....I cannot think straight. Exercising and playing basketball profusely can alter my mind to not the best state of mind I could have. Do you consider that *enslaved*?

Of course you wouldnt. The only reason you would say no is because its your personal opinion on what you think enslaved means.

I can still count when Im high, I can still do math when Im high.....this differs from person to person....but the concept is still the same.


There are so many examples where one can have a weaker state of mind than normally and still function....but I guess you wouldnt call it being *enslaved*

I am not expecting to convince someone who is so drunk on his own ideology of what other people should do and behave. Its that type of thinking that Communists like to have.

It doesnt matter whether you think Alcohol is worthless. The fact is that alchohol is legal. Therefore trying to say drugs should be illegal makes no sense.

And please tell me what this Natural Law of yours states. I never seen a book which told me that Natural Law tells me I cant get high.

When I am sleepy due to natural causes.....I am not in control to tell me not to be sleepy anymore....just like when im High I cant just tell myself not to be high anymore.

Your arguement doesnt make sense. It doesnt matter what state of mind Im in when Im high. Period
Posted 1/28/11 , edited 1/29/11

superluccix wrote:

So apparently, due to me being free under the United States Law regardless of what state of mind I am in....means absolutely nothing?

If I am sweating a lot after playing a basketball game....I am not in the right state of mind....since I am clearly tired....I cannot think straight. Exercising and playing basketball profusely can alter my mind to not the best state of mind I could have. Do you consider that *enslaved*?

Of course you wouldnt. The only reason you would say no is because its your personal opinion on what you think enslaved means.

I can still count when Im high, I can still do math when Im high.....this differs from person to person....but the concept is still the same.


There are so many examples where one can have a weaker state of mind than normally and still function....but I guess you wouldnt call it being *enslaved*

I am not expecting to convince someone who is so drunk on his own ideology of what other people should do and behave. Its that type of thinking that Communists like to have.

It doesnt matter whether you think Alcohol is worthless. The fact is that alchohol is legal. Therefore trying to say drugs should be illegal makes no sense.

And please tell me what this Natural Law of yours states. I never seen a book which told me that Natural Law tells me I cant get high.

When I am sleepy due to natural causes.....I am not in control to tell me not to be sleepy anymore....just like when im High I cant just tell myself not to be high anymore.

Your arguement doesnt make sense. It doesnt matter what state of mind Im in when Im high. Period
Wrong, when adrenalin actually sharpens your mind. Thus you can be more focused when you're under the influence of adrenalin, according to the laws of nature whenever people were under stress.

And just like state laws, the concept of nation state is also an arbitrary term. It's only a civilized person would able to understand, much like how one would understand what communism is. And the irony of you believing that you're free to do whatever that you want, because you obeyed whatever that your states' laws told you without question. That did not escape me.

You're the living proof of just what state of mind can a person has under the influence of marijuana.
42061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/29/11 , edited 1/29/11

Oh thats bullshit. Everyone knows you make irrational decisions when your under stress. Its why people have fights when the arguement gets heated up....people start calling each other names, thats lacking rational thought

The laws of the nation is arbitrary? What? Your telling me the laws of the nation dont have any reason and were just decided on a personal whim? Shit then everything in the world if arbitrary by your reasoning.

And of course Im free to do whatever I want.....except what the laws tell me I cant do otherwise. I can stand up right now, and there is nothing stopping me. Your arguement on this point is bogus

Right because my entire response to this thread was totally under the influence of marijuana, and not using any logic or facts or common sense.

Lol. Just lol

First  Prev  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.