First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Have you been made fun of for learning Japanese?
3327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The Castle That N...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
Me and my cousin know a litle Japenese so we just talk to each other.
I love to call people Baka and they just look at me and ask " what does that mean"
I like japenese especialy in songs
2246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Asia>SE.Asia>Phil...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
just one time.. but when i answer them, they just suddenly stop cause i can tell something about them that they cant understand XD
Posted 3/13/07
i'm the one who laugh at them hehehe...
5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
^hand up^ For two years I took the mick out of a classmate for speaking 'Japanese'. Since Year 1 I didn't like him nor he me. With this in mind:

He came up one morning and bragged that he learned enough Japanese over a weekend for him to hold a fluent conversation with a "hot Jappie". I was sceptical and told him he was talking BS. He insisted it could be done. I asked a simple question in Japanese. He said, "That ain't Japanese."

I insisted it was and he insisted it wasn't. I told him to tell me whatever he learnt. He refused while saying I should admit I didn't ask him the question in Japanese. We argued for fuck knows how long.

We got a British Chinese classmate from three years above to help us out. This guy is a real genius with languages - his English is 10 million times better than mine. He's also fluent in Cantonese (among others), but knows Japanese well enough to understand basic phrases, right.

I repeated the question to this classmate who laughed and translated the question to English for Rich, "Are you as stupid as you look?" On a normal day he would have punched my face, but he didn't.

He spoke two phrases he learned to the classmate who then fell about laughing. Two phrases he repeated to the classmate were in Mandarin and both were translated to "I have a tiny penis" and "I am ugly". That became the favourite reason why I took the mick out of him for two years. I don't regret it cos he was a real pillock.

That said, I secretly don't like it when some tell me they could speak Japanese when in fact all they could offer are some catchphrases they learned off anime.

I'm not good with Japanese and English, but I hate it when they shout a catchphrase at me every time we pass each other. It's like having a Brazilian to shout, "Wassup!" and expect to be praised for speaking English so well. I don't know if this makes sense, but there you go.

Edit: That was so bloody long. Sorry.
285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Seiretei
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
I don't have anyone making fun of me, but I do get a lot of criticism for trying to learn Japanese. My parents think there's no point because I might never go to Japan or meet a Japanese person who doesn't speak English. Whenever I mention wanting to learn Japanese they suggest that I stick to European languages.
3751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Where ever theres...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

catex wrote:

^hand up^ For two years I took the mick out of a classmate for speaking 'Japanese'. Since Year 1 I didn't like him nor he me. With this in mind:

He came up one morning and bragged that he learned enough Japanese over a weekend for him to hold a fluent conversation with a "hot Jappie". I was sceptical and told him he was talking BS. He insisted it could be done. I asked a simple question in Japanese. He said, "That ain't Japanese."

I insisted it was and he insisted it wasn't. I told him to tell me whatever he learnt. He refused while saying I should admit I didn't ask him the question in Japanese. We argued for fuck knows how long.

We got a British Chinese classmate from three years above to help us out. This guy is a real genius with languages - his English is 10 million times better than mine. He's also fluent in Cantonese (among others), but knows Japanese well enough to understand basic phrases, right.

I repeated the question to this classmate who laughed and translated the question to English for Rich, "Are you as stupid as you look?" On a normal day he would have punched my face, but he didn't.

He spoke two phrases he learned to the classmate who then fell about laughing. Two phrases he repeated to the classmate were in Mandarin and both were translated to "I have a tiny penis" and "I am ugly". That became the favourite reason why I took the mick out of him for two years. I don't regret it cos he was a real pillock.

That said, I secretly don't like it when some tell me they could speak Japanese when in fact all they could offer are some catchphrases they learned off anime.

I'm not good with Japanese and English, but I hate it when they shout a catchphrase at me every time we pass each other. It's like having a Brazilian to shout, "Wassup!" and expect to be praised for speaking English so well. I don't know if this makes sense, but there you go.

Edit: That was so bloody long. Sorry.


Thats funny, I hate how people believe that they can speak a fluent language by naming foreign name brands., or they try to communicate by speaking english real slow.
3583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / ?????
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

Ansela wrote:

I don't have anyone making fun of me, but I do get a lot of criticism for trying to learn Japanese. My parents think there's no point because I might never go to Japan or meet a Japanese person who doesn't speak English. Whenever I mention wanting to learn Japanese they suggest that I stick to European languages.


There's nothing wrong in wanting to learn japanese. I'm currently learning japanese (just in my 5th lesson) and my brother was the one who pushed me into taking classes. Before that I was hesitant because of the fees, how hard the lesson would be, kanji, etc...

Then my brother said that having at least a 3rd language can make your future secure. Example you have no other qualifications but at least your 3rd language can help u or something like that. Whatever language you learn is definately not a waste of time if u really work hard, it will become really handy.

Yeah its true sometimes people hate it when people try to speak japanese they picked up from anime but I think it depends on the type of person. The know-it-all kind of people really ticks me off. Even if u try to correct them they don't want to listen to u because they think they're better...





5986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / lazing in England
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

BlackRagDoll wrote:
Yeah its true sometimes people hate it when people try to speak japanese they picked up from anime but I think it depends on the type of person. The know-it-all kind of people really ticks me off. Even if u try to correct them they don't want to listen to u because they think they're better...
Yes, that's it exactly. You're right - it very much depends on the type. I was unfair earlier for failing to note this, so I'm glad you pointed this out. Thanks.
764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / From queens with...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
i try to learn more than one language so i'll try to speak spanish on one day, fukien on another and nippongo the next.

nothing wrong with that.
1365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Beyond
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
Let's see... if I learn how to, I'd laugh at those who'd laugh at me after saying insults right in front of their faces. Only ignorant fools would laugh at those who seek wisdom. (But learning Japanese is more of a knowledge thing, huh? Oh well... same-same.)
337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / My Own Little Wor...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
No people don't make fun of me for it they ususally say that its pretty cool but if something or someone does start to piss you off its fun to randomly start screaming obsenitys in japanese i do it all the time its fun to look at all the wierd looks you get
4565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somewhere in silence
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

catex wrote:


BlackRagDoll wrote:
Yeah its true sometimes people hate it when people try to speak japanese they picked up from anime but I think it depends on the type of person. The know-it-all kind of people really ticks me off. Even if u try to correct them they don't want to listen to u because they think they're better...
Yes, that's it exactly. You're right - it very much depends on the type. I was unfair earlier for failing to note this, so I'm glad you pointed this out. Thanks.


Omg I hate that too ppl who brag about being able to speak japanese but can only say s you hear from anime, or s they read in manga...I had three years of japanese at my high school, and was in a nihon language contest, and ppl were always like "omg you speak japanese say something", and I'd just look at them like? even if I did I could say anything and you wouldnt know if it was or not so pointless lol, or they would see me writing in japanese and ask me if I knew chinese...

But I never really got teased ppl are more amazed by the fact that I love languages and speak a few (none fluent)

my friends are the only ones who get mad at me they say "speak english dammit" lol, or to my moms stank boyfriend who I hate I called him names all the time, or they always point out asian guys and ask if i want their numbers I'm like I don't find every asian guy attractive lol
151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Hungary
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

Ansela wrote:

I don't have anyone making fun of me, but I do get a lot of criticism for trying to learn Japanese. My parents think there's no point because I might never go to Japan or meet a Japanese person who doesn't speak English. Whenever I mention wanting to learn Japanese they suggest that I stick to European languages.


It is very simple: By learning several languages you will achieve that you can make some1 understand you abroad. For this reason every1 usually learn english or other popular languages. In my opinion if you already good at english it is useless to learn other languages which is famous for its popularity cause you can already go anywhere, english will be highly spoken. So if you want to learn anything beside english, you should choose something that you will learn willingly, purely with joy. In that case japanese is a perfect one if you like it. Im planning it too, though i dont know if i'll be able to go to Japan someday or not!
997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Badda Bing Badda...
Offline
Posted 3/13/07
heh.... i get fun of my looks, my ethnicity... and my culture... every day i have to put up with it... ill post one incident... during our lunch break... a black african american came by and said( CHING CHONG CHING CHING CHONG) (the fact i am Chinese)
and he also called me a stupid fucken chinese baster!!(excuse my language) but i practically beat him up like a punch bag.. i was sooo mad i couldn't contain myself.. i winded up getting a 3 week suspension from school...
437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / California
Offline
Posted 3/13/07

starcrossed23 wrote:

I get all kind of weird looks when I tell people I want to learn japanese. It goes kind of like this:

Me: I want to learn Japanese.

Them: But you're Mexican.

Me: So?

Them: But you don't even know Spanish.

Me: And your point is?

Them: Well doesn't it make more sense for you to learn Spanish?

Me: Why would I want to do something that makes sense?

You get the point.


hahahahah i get that too cuz i'm mexican and my friends tell "wanna be china" and man that is just being dumb cuz i want to learn japanese NOT chinese!!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.