First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Zero Punctuation
1066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Where angels lose...
Offline
Posted 8/11/08
bashing video games = epic humor.
Posted 8/23/08
i liked it a lot but i disagree with sum of his stuff,especially his hate of jrpgs and fighting games...even though i no he has several valid points about them.
1108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Vancouver Canada
Offline
Posted 8/23/08

Adaephon wrote:

i liked it a lot but i disagree with sum of his stuff,especially his hate of jrpgs and fighting games...even though i no he has several valid points about them.


Same =P. I am still not sure what a JRPG really is.

Lol i always thought it just meant a rpg made in Japan but apparently its not =/. Can anyone tell me plz?
Posted 8/24/08

MyDigitalHeaven wrote:


Adaephon wrote:

i liked it a lot but i disagree with sum of his stuff,especially his hate of jrpgs and fighting games...even though i no he has several valid points about them.


Same =P. I am still not sure what a JRPG really is.

Lol i always thought it just meant a rpg made in Japan but apparently its not =/. Can anyone tell me plz?


it does mean a japanese rpg doesnt it? or maybe it means only the rpgs with turn based fighting.
Posted 8/24/08

MyDigitalHeaven wrote:


Adaephon wrote:

i liked it a lot but i disagree with sum of his stuff,especially his hate of jrpgs and fighting games...even though i no he has several valid points about them.


Same =P. I am still not sure what a JRPG really is.

Lol i always thought it just meant a rpg made in Japan but apparently its not =/. Can anyone tell me plz?


Well it's supposed to, but there are big difference's between western ones and eastern ones. JRPG's tend to be more linear and character focused, while WRPG's tend to be more of a "Your the main character do what you want" type of affair. Thats the main difference.
1637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 8/24/08 , edited 8/24/08

dmitsuki wrote:
Well it's supposed to, but there are big difference's between western ones and eastern ones. JRPG's tend to be more linear and character focused, while WRPG's tend to be more of a "Your the main character do what you want" type of affair. Thats the main difference.

And the fact I usually ended up actually caring for JRPG characters (not these new metro, emo bishounen characters mind you, but proper ones from older games), something I can rarely say for Western characters. Problem with WRPGs is that they're always pushing freedom in their games, usually at a cost of having "blank slate" type of character to whom you can't relate at all, hence you don't give a damn about him (seriously, check Oblivion if you haven't - who do you give a damn about in that game? Only character whocaught my attention was Lucien Lachence, mainly because of his "evil presence" thing and amazing voice acting).
Posted 8/24/08

Methos12 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:
Well it's supposed to, but there are big difference's between western ones and eastern ones. JRPG's tend to be more linear and character focused, while WRPG's tend to be more of a "Your the main character do what you want" type of affair. Thats the main difference.

And the fact I usually ended up actually caring for JRPG characters (not these new metro, emo bishounen characters mind you, but proper ones from older games), something I can rarely say for Western characters. Problem with WRPGs is that they're always pushing freedom in their games, usually at a cost of having "blank slate" type of character to whom you can't relate at all, hence you don't give a damn about him (seriously, check Oblivion if you haven't - who do you give a damn about in that game? Only character whocaught my attention was Lucien Lachence, mainly because of his "evil presence" thing and amazing voice acting).


But in games like Mass Effect, your open for choice's and can care about the characters, and the main one is still you. And look at KoTOR, it does it right also.
3970 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

dmitsuki wrote:


Methos12 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:
Well it's supposed to, but there are big difference's between western ones and eastern ones. JRPG's tend to be more linear and character focused, while WRPG's tend to be more of a "Your the main character do what you want" type of affair. Thats the main difference.

And the fact I usually ended up actually caring for JRPG characters (not these new metro, emo bishounen characters mind you, but proper ones from older games), something I can rarely say for Western characters. Problem with WRPGs is that they're always pushing freedom in their games, usually at a cost of having "blank slate" type of character to whom you can't relate at all, hence you don't give a damn about him (seriously, check Oblivion if you haven't - who do you give a damn about in that game? Only character whocaught my attention was Lucien Lachence, mainly because of his "evil presence" thing and amazing voice acting).


But in games like Mass Effect, your open for choice's and can care about the characters, and the main one is still you. And look at KoTOR, it does it right also.

Sadly, there are just too many JRPGs, and not enough WRPGs...
Posted 8/24/08

Runekn wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


Methos12 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:
Well it's supposed to, but there are big difference's between western ones and eastern ones. JRPG's tend to be more linear and character focused, while WRPG's tend to be more of a "Your the main character do what you want" type of affair. Thats the main difference.

And the fact I usually ended up actually caring for JRPG characters (not these new metro, emo bishounen characters mind you, but proper ones from older games), something I can rarely say for Western characters. Problem with WRPGs is that they're always pushing freedom in their games, usually at a cost of having "blank slate" type of character to whom you can't relate at all, hence you don't give a damn about him (seriously, check Oblivion if you haven't - who do you give a damn about in that game? Only character whocaught my attention was Lucien Lachence, mainly because of his "evil presence" thing and amazing voice acting).


But in games like Mass Effect, your open for choice's and can care about the characters, and the main one is still you. And look at KoTOR, it does it right also.

Sadly, there are just too many JRPGs, and not enough WRPGs...


I honestly don't care, I just want more FUNRPG's lol. TALES OF VESPERIA, TALES OF VESPERIA, TALES OF VESPERIA~!!~!~@~1111
1637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 8/25/08

dmitsuki wrote:
But in games like Mass Effect, your open for choice's and can care about the characters, and the main one is still you. And look at KoTOR, it does it right also.

I somewhat disagree - I usually end up caring for NPCs you gather along the way, not the actual character. True, games such as Mass Effect (ending was really like "Did he make, did he make... YES, he made it!") and Witcher did have characters I cared about, although it's mostly because they had somewhat pre-written histories. Player characters from sandbox games (mentioning Oblivion again here) are hardly going to get anything from unless I myself make some serious background on them.

Off topic- we're kinda going there.

381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 8/25/08
I just freaking love their visual aids. LOL
Posted 8/25/08

Methos12 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:
But in games like Mass Effect, your open for choice's and can care about the characters, and the main one is still you. And look at KoTOR, it does it right also.

I somewhat disagree - I usually end up caring for NPCs you gather along the way, not the actual character. True, games such as Mass Effect (ending was really like "Did he make, did he make... YES, he made it!") and Witcher did have characters I cared about, although it's mostly because they had somewhat pre-written histories. Player characters from sandbox games (mentioning Oblivion again here) are hardly going to get anything from unless I myself make some serious background on them.

Off topic- we're kinda going there.



Yeah but not developing NPC's isn't a WRPG thing, its just a mistake on the developers part. And as for Mass Effect, I had like my fingers crossed on the edge of my seat "DID I LIVE?!?!?" But yeah, for games like Diablo and oblivion I don't think the point is really the story (If any Diablo has a story, its beyond my knowledge, I simply skip all those annoying long dialouge's) the point is to give you lots of dungeons and place's to explore.
1637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 8/25/08

dmitsuki wrote:
Yeah but not developing NPC's isn't a WRPG thing, its just a mistake on the developers part. And as for Mass Effect, I had like my fingers crossed on the edge of my seat "DID I LIVE?!?!?" But yeah, for games like Diablo and oblivion I don't think the point is really the story (If any Diablo has a story, its beyond my knowledge, I simply skip all those annoying long dialouge's) the point is to give you lots of dungeons and place's to explore.

We're really going OT here, but Diablo does have a story (you know, typical save the world with darker overtones) and yeah, some games simply don't offer a good story. My main problem, with RPG genre in general, is why devs think they MUST make a choice between good story and engaging free roaming gameplay? If only they put in some extra work... oh well.

1613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/25/08
Just watched the SSBB and TWEWY reviews. Even though I disagree, this guy is epic.
7375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The World That Wa...
Offline
Posted 8/25/08
I must have watched all his reviews about 100 times, I simply love the guy, he's a legend...And I'm saying this knowing full well he insults and pisses on some of my most favourite games ever, what's worse is that I actually agree with him, as much as I love the games, he seems to hit all the weak points bang on and it's not always something only he noticed because he hates the game so much, we've all noticed these downfalls, and it's so awesome to see him bring them into the open and pick on them withcomedic point and illustrations whilst being intelligent...and of course he does it all in one breath, how's that for you.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.