First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
Post Reply Spirits/ghosts, angels, and demons. Do they exists?
79489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Online
Posted 10/18/11
Having seen one.. I do believe that ghosts exist (or atleast in my case it was a doppelganger)

Then again it only was once, and it was in Asia, in a place known to have been a place where prisoners of war died..
ruudes 
580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / San Jose, CA
Offline
Posted 11/28/11 , edited 11/28/11
What is it to become a ghost, though? The process itself has me confused beyond belief. People tell me that in order for people to become ghosts, they need to be “so-and-so” (insert qualifications for becoming a ghost). Even if that were true, and people magically knew what it took for the dead to take on an ephemeral form, how would the body know these conditions? I find it hard to believe that my body is capable of recognizing that I still have lingering feelings, have committed evil deeds, wish to stay behind, or any other absurd ideas others may have for people becoming ghosts — after I’ve already died. If the process is not a bodily function, then the only other explanation is that an outside force is turning people into ghosts. The thing is, I don’t see what purpose that would serve. At all. Others argue that if you honestly wish to become a ghost, then you will. I’m sorry, but how does that even begin to make sense? It’s as absurd as having superhero-like powers… simply because you wished for them.

Another thing that piques my interests, is the concept of human ghosts and animal ghosts. Where are the insect ghosts? Alien ghosts? Fish ghosts? Flower ghosts? Tomato ghosts? Does one need a certain amount of intelligence, or possess the ability to think? A soul may be reasonable — but there is no definite way of determining which living beings are in possession of a soul or not — we cannot overvalue our judgement. Where is the line drawn? “Sorry, thing. Your species is actually not mentally capable of becoming a ghost. Tough luck.”

Are there alien (anything beyond Earth) ghosts? What are a ghost’s limitations? Are they (magically) bound and confined to an area, or are they free to sift throughout the universe as they please? If it’s the latter, then I again ask — where are the alien ghosts? Surely human/earthly beings are not the ‘chosen species’. Our narcissism can only go so far.

And what about the ghosts that have made appearances before people? Scared people, helped people, communicated with people, and injured people? Aren’t these occurrences far too rare? Think about the number of living beings whom have died since the beginning of time — even if 1% of these beings had become ghosts, Earth should be crawling with these lingering spirits. Don’t you think you’d want to try creating a ruckus at least once if you were to become a ghost? I know I would.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 11/30/11
Maybe, maybe not. They may exist, but there must be sound evidence to back everything up.
4523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/30/11
A lot of you mention "evidence" and how we cannot "sense" ghosts... but how do you know that our senses are reliable? We only have 5 of them. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there. Are human beings all-powerful and all-knowing? Scientific reasoning/proof has led to discoveries in the past, but how do you know that this method is the answer to everything?
29424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cardiff
Offline
Posted 12/7/11
In all honesty i find it hard to believe they actually exist, i mean i'd love it if they did, they would make the world a much more interesting place, but it just seems so unlikely and there isn't any hard evidence to back it up.
124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / So Cal!
Offline
Posted 3/11/12
I had an experience at my sisters college (mental institution turned college from when they used to force people for even being drunks) and I had two different experiences...worst days ever T_T I'm easily frightened...at those times I was trying to keep my cool and btw my sister had night classes then and the office workers had gone home...
36102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Indianapolis, IN
Online
Posted 3/12/12
Yes they exist. I did the mythbuster thing and proved it with multiple witnesses.
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/12/12
Never seen any of these supernatural beings, nor do I know of others who have.
Never has there been an accurate historical observation of these beings.
I don't see how they possibily could exist. Basically, I see them as dark age pokemon/yugioh: my satan can defeat your angel gabriel and whatnot.
276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / In My World
Offline
Posted 3/13/12
i don't know... but i assume angels and demons exist
97 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / R'lyeh
Offline
Posted 3/13/12
My hostel is said to be haunted but i never saw any white phantasm of any kind. But i have heard sound of running tap water in empty bathroom.when i opened the door the tap was closed! Kind of creepy but not outright supernatural.
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/12

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:

A lot of you mention "evidence" and how we cannot "sense" ghosts... but how do you know that our senses are reliable? We only have 5 of them. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there. Are human beings all-powerful and all-knowing? Scientific reasoning/proof has led to discoveries in the past, but how do you know that this method is the answer to everything?


Our senses are unreliable (see optical illusions for example). On the unrelated note: we have way more than 5 senses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense

We do however have things to aid our senses like camera, video recorder, infrared, scientific method etc. There is no empirical evidence for any of the things mentioned here, except personal experience or personal experience from others. These are really an unreliable form of 'evidence' because our senses and understanding of the world around is fundamentally flawed (see confirmation bias, placebo effects etc).

I used to believe in ghosts and spirits up until recently. Upon learning about neuroscience ( how our brain works etc) I gradually came to the conclusion that personal experience/hearsay etc are not a sufficient 'evidence' for anything. See: Thinking, Fast and Slow http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374275637 for example.


Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there


No offence. This line of reasoning is flawed. It's ridiculous to prove something like this. You can't prove that my invisible, pink shoes that are flying above everyone's head right now are not responsible for gravity, oh and no it does not interact with anything. Or unicorns, Thor, Jupiter, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Russel's Teapot etc.

@OP: No, they do not. I can't to a certainty that they don't exist but nothing can be absolutely proved so talking about certainty is nonsensical.

A video explaining why believing without evidence (faith) wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo&list=FLpBcjNY_nr_DRHIDYBP_EUg&index=84&feature=plpp_video [10:06 minutes]

For those who don't have time for a 10-minute video, here is Carl Sagan giving example for using faith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNoywmfQw4&list=PL30C7E62FB556AB13&index=27&feature=plpp_video [0:44]
1130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / World Wide Web
Offline
Posted 3/14/12
I have seen too much not to believe in them, but to some point I'm still a bit sceptical...
One thing that happened: One day I saw a unknown smiling woman in the mirror, five years later I found a photo of the same woman and asked my mom about it; the woman in the mirror was my grandmother who died six years before I was born.

Google Nari-pon mystery if you want some fun reading... fascinating... very fascinating, but I still want more scientific research done.
12086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/15/12
Skepticism and the Razor, friend, skepticism and the Razor. Those two are damn near all you need, ever.
4523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/12 , edited 3/15/12

Traiano wrote:


We do however have things to aid our senses like camera, video recorder, infrared, scientific method etc. There is no empirical evidence for any of the things mentioned here, except personal experience or personal experience from others. These are really an unreliable form of 'evidence' because our senses and understanding of the world around is fundamentally flawed (see confirmation bias, placebo effects etc).
sufficient 'evidence' for anything.
It's ridiculous to prove something like this.
@OP: No, they do not. I can't to a certainty that they don't exist but nothing can be absolutely proved


1) I don't understand humanity's obsession with the desire to know about everything, and find "evidence" for everything. We have to prove everything and have an explanation for everything, rather than just accepting the universe as is and leaving the mysteries there.

2) Proof, proof, proof, proof. The whole idea of "spirits, ghosts, and angels" are that they transcend the sensory world. It's the idea of things existing from a different domain, a different order. There's no way to explain what is essentially unexplainable.

2) Both methods are empirical. Physicists derive their knowledge from experiments, mystics from meditative insights. Both are observations. Of course, the object of observation is different.

3) I think science should be pursued as far as it can. But there's a limit to it too. When I said "just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist," I was thinking more of Plato's Allegory of the Cave than Santa Claus or the flying spaghetti monster. But since you insist on science, I can give you a scientific example as well. In physics, are the realms of the atomic and subatomic world accessible to the ordinary senses? No. But they do exist.

I suppose it can be more comforting for people to know that they are made up of cells, flesh, DNA and that when they die, they'll rot buried in the ground forever. On the other hand, I see why humans want something deeper. There is a certain need for spirituality, for God, etc. Whether or not spirits and such exist, who knows. Then I suppose you are right, it sounds just as absurd as me trying to tell you that my imaginary friend actually exists. But it should also be noted that there are religious, spiritual scientists, and many notable scientists (Einstein, Pauli, Heisenberg) have espoused mysticism.
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:



1) I don't understand humanity's obsession with the desire to know about everything, and find "evidence" for everything. We have to prove everything and have an explanation for everything, rather than just accepting the universe as is and leaving the mysteries there.

2) Proof, proof, proof, proof. The whole idea of "spirits, ghosts, and angels" are that they transcend the sensory world. It's the idea of things existing from a different domain, a different order. There's no way to explain what is essentially unexplainable.

2) Both methods are empirical. Physicists derive their knowledge from experiments, mystics from meditative insights. Both are observations. Of course, the object of observation is different.

3) I think science should be pursued as far as it can. But there's a limit to it too. When I said "just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist," I was thinking more of Plato's Allegory of the Cave than Santa Claus or the flying spaghetti monster. But since you insist on science, I can give you a scientific example as well. In physics, are the realms of the atomic and subatomic world accessible to the ordinary senses? No. But they do exist.

I suppose it can be more comforting for people to know that they are made up of cells, flesh, DNA and that when they die, they'll rot buried in the ground forever. On the other hand, I see why humans want something deeper. There is a certain need for spirituality, for God, etc. Whether or not spirits and such exist, who knows. Then I suppose you are right, it sounds just as absurd as me trying to tell you that my imaginary friend actually exists. But it should also be noted that there are religious, spiritual scientists, and many notable scientists (Einstein, Pauli, Heisenberg) have espoused mysticism.


Are you kidding me? Would a society that embrace ignorant and beliefs without evidence be a place where you want to live?

1. The universe and everything in it is amazing, it's full of mysteries, when you uncover these mysteries, you get even stranger mysteries an even more awesome The truth is far more amazing than any fiction.

2. Then those things are by definition beyond the natural world or sensory world, as you said. They cannot be sensed (see, touch, feel, hear etc). So it's damn strange many people who do sense it. If it can interact with the natural world however, if it can be sensed, it should be under scrutiny of the scientific method.

3. Unfair comparison and irrelevant. I don't watch anime to find the truth about the world. Maybe a little XD but mainly I do because I enjoy watching fantasies etc. Those who meditate etc gains transcendence insights etc. which is like when you see the rainbow early in the morning, when its raining a little and you're in full awe and wonderment and stuff. Or when you hear a piece of music that really touched your soul like you have goosebumps & full of awe and wonder and stuff.

4. Hmm... That's exactly what I'm arguing for. We do not rely on our senses only to learn about the world. Like I said earlier our senses are actually unreliable so we shouldn't rely on our senses only. Which is where the scientific method comes in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method I really can't be bothered to explain it unless you want me to. And please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo [10.06]


Whaat? Please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU [3.33] + When I think of what will happen when I die, I'm always marvelled by the fact that my atoms one day could be come part of a star/planet/trees aka be part of the world again for trillion of years. There are so many wonder in this world, like our brain is the most complex systems that we know of, there are more neurons and connections than there are stars in our entire galaxy (holy shit?)

I'm a Buddhist who meditate from time to time, I find awe and wonder every where I look, music, movie, nature etc. and although I'm still a noobie and have not feel the transcendental feelings that meditation has to offer, but I do know many people who has. There is nothing supernatural about this, in fact it has been studied quite extensively on the effect of meditation has on the brain. But of course, on the course of history, people of different cultures have associate these feelings with mysticism or their religious beliefs etc. It's a god of the gaps fallacies. We made things up or associate these feelings to unexplained phenomenon like lightning, earthquake etc to explain the natural world. We humans are like that, we tend to try to explain everything.
First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.