First  Prev  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next  Last
Post Reply Spirits/ghosts, angels, and demons. Do they exists?
maffoo 
64803 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/20/12

shuyi000 wrote:


maffoo wrote:
Maybe some people find it comforting to believe in spirits? If ghosts and spirits exist, it suggests that there is life after death, which a lot of people want to believe in. If it makes them feel happier and more fulfilled, and they don't try to force their belief on others, I take a "live and let live" view.

Personally, I'm not convinced about guardian angels and the like (though again I don't have a problem with people who believe in them.) I'm open to the idea of ghosts and spirits, as I said in my earlier post a lot of people have had experiences that they believe were spirits - some can probably be explained away, but not all of them, and I don't think that it's right (or even rational) to dismiss them out of hand.


You can find anything comforting... but that doesn't make it true...
The parents of a murder might find it comforting to believe that their son is being framed... but that doesn't change anything...

I believe that we. collectively as a human race would do better if every single one understand the line between factual and fantasy.


If the parents of the murderer want to believe that their son is being framed, that is their choice. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant to them, and my view would bethat they should be left to their belief unless they start to impose it on others (for example, by attacking witnesses who they blame for the "framing" of their son.)

However, can you prove that spirits etc don't exist? How do you know that they are fantasy? Is it a conclusion that you have come to from experimentation, investigation of alleged hauntings etc or are you relying on what others have told you is fact?

13622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 8/20/12

maffoo wrote:


If the parents of the murderer want to believe that their son is being framed, that is their choice. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant to them, and my view would bethat they should be left to their belief unless they start to impose it on others (for example, by attacking witnesses who they blame for the "framing" of their son.)

However, can you prove that spirits etc don't exist? How do you know that they are fantasy? Is it a conclusion that you have come to from experimentation, investigation of alleged hauntings etc or are you relying on what others have told you is fact?



I say collectively as a human race, it would be better if everyone of us is able to differentiate facts from claims...
...
That being said, your refute about us not able to prove that "xxx" didn't exist... therefore cannot say that they don't exist...
Yes, that is true to a certain extent, it is the responsibility of the person making the claims to provide evidence for their claims... not for some other people to come up with something to disprove it....

For example, a person can claim that the spirit of his dead wife is around, and is 'living' with him...
Then, he needs to show us reasons why he believe that...
However, the way spirituality and religion works... they would tell us to STFU and just trust them, just like that...!

Ridiculous much!! Don't you think so?
1836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / UK/Japan
Offline
Posted 8/21/12
I like all the stories about demons and creatures and stuff because it makes things so much more exciting
maffoo 
64803 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/21/12

shuyi000 wrote:


maffoo wrote:


If the parents of the murderer want to believe that their son is being framed, that is their choice. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant to them, and my view would bethat they should be left to their belief unless they start to impose it on others (for example, by attacking witnesses who they blame for the "framing" of their son.)

However, can you prove that spirits etc don't exist? How do you know that they are fantasy? Is it a conclusion that you have come to from experimentation, investigation of alleged hauntings etc or are you relying on what others have told you is fact?



I say collectively as a human race, it would be better if everyone of us is able to differentiate facts from claims...
...
That being said, your refute about us not able to prove that "xxx" didn't exist... therefore cannot say that they don't exist...
Yes, that is true to a certain extent, it is the responsibility of the person making the claims to provide evidence for their claims... not for some other people to come up with something to disprove it....

For example, a person can claim that the spirit of his dead wife is around, and is 'living' with him...
Then, he needs to show us reasons why he believe that...
However, the way spirituality and religion works... they would tell us to STFU and just trust them, just like that...!

Ridiculous much!! Don't you think so?


If someone claimed that his dead wife was "living" with him, my view would be that he should be allowed to hold that belief whether there was proof or not. It would presumably help him to cope with his bereavement, and demanding proof from him would likely cause more harm than good.

As for whether people should provide proof for their claims, again, my view is that if someone states a belief they do not have to prove it until they want to convert others. Until then, I will respect their beliefs. As an example, I used to work with a guy who didn't eat meat or eggs because it was against his spiritual beliefs. I didn't follow his beliefs, but I respected him and didn't need to see proof that his beliefs were correct because he never tried to convince anyone else not to eat meat. OTOH, I tend to give a wide berth to the Christians who stand in the middle of my city with megaphones telling people to accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, or their Mulsim counterparts who tell people that Islam is the "true" religion; I can't respect them because they demand that people convert based on faith alone - if they want to convert me I need to see evidence.

I agree with the principle of people being better off if they can differentiate facts from claims, but I also think that it's important to keep an open mind. Mild scepticism and critical thinking is important, but taken to its extremes it leads to dogma and closed-mindedness (which ironically is one of the things the most vocal skeptics complain about with religion!)

16094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / in the land of th...
Offline
Posted 8/23/12 , edited 8/23/12
Who has seen the wind?
But you feel it... sometimes the gentle breeze, sometimes the force of a dark, destructive tempest...
Everything is of the spirit...and deep down you can feel the yearnings of your soul to know what exists just out of reach, beyond that veil that cannot be lifted..

Time that runs through the hourglass, the shifting of the core, the temptations of life, the feeling that in the darkness of your room, you are not alone.

I ask again, who has seen the wind?
39548 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / burning embers
Offline
Posted 8/23/12

OyOsama wrote:

I like all the stories about demons and creatures and stuff because it makes things so much more exciting


asian ghost stories are tight huh? lol
4370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/23/12
i see no way that they do.
16094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / in the land of th...
Offline
Posted 8/25/12
Boo!

gotcha....
11974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 8/25/12
They say when a person dies, his or her body loses a few pounds. The human spirit perhaps?
13622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 8/30/12

Chopsuey9444 wrote:

They say when a person dies, his or her body loses a few pounds. The human spirit perhaps?


You meant that to be a joke... right?!
13622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 8/30/12

-Requiem wrote:

Who has seen the wind?
But you feel it... sometimes the gentle breeze, sometimes the force of a dark, destructive tempest...
Everything is of the spirit...and deep down you can feel the yearnings of your soul to know what exists just out of reach, beyond that veil that cannot be lifted..

Time that runs through the hourglass, the shifting of the core, the temptations of life, the feeling that in the darkness of your room, you are not alone.

I ask again, who has seen the wind?


Deep down we can feel the yearnings of my urge to learn more, through the process of critical thinking....

You just went full retard there... srs!

We can't see the wind, but we can detect it through other means... sight isn't the only tools we have...
You can't see weight either, but that doesn't mean that you are weightless
1163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Candy Mountain
Offline
Posted 9/1/12
I don't really believe in ghosts, but i do believe in demons and evil spirits o_O
16094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / in the land of th...
Offline
Posted 9/2/12

shuyi000 wrote:


-Requiem wrote:

Who has seen the wind?
But you feel it... sometimes the gentle breeze, sometimes the force of a dark, destructive tempest...
Everything is of the spirit...and deep down you can feel the yearnings of your soul to know what exists just out of reach, beyond that veil that cannot be lifted..

Time that runs through the hourglass, the shifting of the core, the temptations of life, the feeling that in the darkness of your room, you are not alone.

I ask again, who has seen the wind?


Deep down we can feel the yearnings of my urge to learn more, through the process of critical thinking....

You just went full retard there... srs!

We can't see the wind, but we can detect it through other means... sight isn't the only tools we have...
You can't see weight either, but that doesn't mean that you are weightless


hmm....poor boy, hours and hours of critical thinking and all you can up with is....."srs" and "retard"
how uncritical of you...

I'll not be knocking on your door....


18990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 9/2/12
Even in rational science, there is room for things that don't have a readily verifiable explanation. Indeed, much of what our own ancestors did in times gone by was to use things like mysticism to formulate a rational explanation for phenomena they couldn't explain otherwise. Indeed most of the early religions in the Ancient and Classical eras of man kind were nothing more than stories created to explain and quantify events not otherwise understood. This practice of creating stories and "theories" is what led to the invention of the scientific method in the first place.

Discarding the possibility that something exists immediately without putting it to a test first is the antithesis of science. To say that things in the realm of the spiritual don't have a basis or place in the logical world without first doing the research it takes to truly discredit them is akin to what religion did to scientists in the Dark Ages and early Renaissance era. Simply because the long standing belief that the world was flat and the Earth was the center of the universe meant that people like Copernicus and Galileo were tortured and worse because they sought and found proof to the contrary. If you were truly a man of science, shuyi, you wouldn't simply discount and insult someone's opinion simply because it was convenient for you.

True understanding comes from reviewing all possibilities until the truth is uncovered. Truth is uncovered when we don't assume it to be something we wish it to be and instead accept what is in front of us. On that note, there isbno proof that spirits and the like do not exist, therefore they must exist until we know for sure they don't.
32551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/2/12
They surely exist in our mind. I don't think they exist outside of there tho.
First  Prev  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.