Created by LavenderYuki
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do you think Gintama is unpopular?
Member
769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Committing Suicid...
Offline
Posted 8/16/08

Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:


elric331 wrote:

lol....i loved Gintama from the first episode so i was irritated that there were missing subs but it's probably overshadowed by ...ewww....vampire knight since all the bitchy fangirls there say there's so called humour.....which i don't find funny at all....but yes, there are other major series which are watched alot more.......
I laugh in every episode of Gintama but yes, although i love it, i would prefer that it not be as popular otherwise it would also risk being licensed (KHR, already *sigh* such a pain)
And indeed i prefer the manga (i prefer to read, that's just me though ) but reading it on onemanga is pain since they never update it so i have to go to other sites to download.......irritating

Can anyone tell me if there's a site where i can read it online instead of downloading it....?


try mangafox.com


thanks
Member
1296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / malaysia
Offline
Posted 8/16/08

candeebee wrote:

I wouldn't say it's 'unpopular', I'd just say a lot of people aren't really aware of it, or the people that are, regard it in the same veins as Bleach and Naruto. Childish, and downright terrible. Although, more people are starting to watch it now. On a certain image board, when someone ends up posting caps of various scenes, there are usually people asking what it is. I think it's just gathering interest at the moment, for example, I'm seeing more and more people on the internet mentioning it every week, and I'll give it perhaps until the end of the year/early next year until it becomes pretty popular. People should keep recommending it to their anime-watching friends, and they can tell their friends, until a good percent watches it, and it would generate more of a buzz. Then, that would raise hopes of it being licensed. If people just dropped the 'general sj' tag from it, and actually gave it a chance, I'm sure they'd like it.


i totally agree with you with that. maybe most non-japanese anime viewers just go for the traditional shounen formula - weak, get stronger, win, moar tougher enemies, loose, get stronger, win - that's why OP, Bleach and Naruto (dammit. i actually typed them out >_<;; )

*me gotta find meself a Gintama avvy too*




s1l3n70n3 wrote:

This anime really does remind me of an American style adult cartoon (I really find it similar to family guy here). The show only has short story arcs for multiple episodes. Otherwise, the show isn't connected to the last one cohesively (just like american cartoons). Also, random references to Japanese culture (pop and other) are part of the jokes. An outsider won't necessarily get them and that explains why not as many people have heard of it.
Really, I like this style because there are no filler episodes; you can almost say they are all filler episodes with a few story. The episodes tend to have a moral that leave the viewer with a good feeling. However, I find the use of end episode irony to be masterful. I wish my friends would listen to me and watch this show. They must be too busy watching Naruto.


one of the annoying thing about some of it's fan is that they worship the series too much, and never want to set their eyes on other anime/manga. maybe they fear of losing the interest and fell out of love if they do, as Naruto is getting more blah each chapter (what a fan confessed to me)




duskiryl wrote:

While I love Gintama and would like to see it become more popular, I do not want to see it licensed.
And if it being a relatively unknown anime is what it takes to save it, then so be it.

Frankly, it would not be the same if it were dubbed in english. English voice actors do not carry the same level of emotion, whether it be a positive or negative emotion, in their voices. Notice how they always seem to fall into the category of "super-bubbly sugar-high hysterical girl" or "dead apathetic monotone guy" ?

Am I the only one who is fine with Naruto's "dattebayo" but gets the urge to bang my head on the wall repeatedly when I hear him say "Believe It!" ?

Not to mention, they would probably give Kagura a weird accent, because she is technically a "china-girl."
Kind of like how they gave Ichimaru Gin from Bleach a southern American accent to correspond to his Okinawan accent. (!)

I mean, I know Okinawans are supposed to be the country people of Japan, but seriously, hearing him with a Texan accent just seems Wrong.

In the English translation of the manga, they attached "uh-huh" to the end of nearly all of Kagura's sentences. To me, this didn't make her seem foreign -- just brain damaged.
Basically, they just ruined a good character right there.

So, if being unpopular internationally is what saves Gintama from English dubbing horror, then I hope it stays that way.


...i just cant understand the licensing-hate. it will give Gintama the fame it should have. it's not as if we cant watch it anymore or anything, just that we wont be watching it for free. yeah yeah EVERYONE haets English dub. i hate them too (worst; Jigoku Shoujo. i mean, wtf?). but so far, the another cultural-reference-filled anime i've seen like PPD, Hale nochi Guu, and also FMA and Emma got a decent dub. let's just hope Gintama will do too.




bubblegum-samurai wrote:
Another thing is,It's anime is not in America.See how popular Pokemon became when it goes to America?Goes the same for DGM,it's already popular,but becames even more popular when it reaches America.I'm not saying all anime are like that,but there's quite a number of cases like that.



sucks, right, we have to rely on them Americans for everything? but i doubt if Gintama will be a great hit there. just my hunch.



elric331 wrote:
it's probably overshadowed by ...ewww....vampire knight since all the bitchy fangirls there say there's so called humour.....which i don't find funny at all....but yes, there are other major series which are watched alot more.......


GOD I HAET THAT ANIME. i dont know why i ever liked it few years back. it was just a low profiled manga, but then when it got an anime, rabid fangirlz sprouted like weeds! fangirling left n right. squee with those damn yaoi crap in their brainz. urgh.

Member
1296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / malaysia
Offline
Posted 8/16/08

xshadowpuffx wrote:

It's pretty popular in Japan. haha

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/1320/Best+anime+of+2007.html


LOL @ the comments at the bottom. and majority completely disagree at the result. they must have forget, Japanese's taste is fairly different than other countries. their otakus are nothing compared to gaijin otakus. but wtf Sola? yep. Japanese otaku are far much weirder.




geoffc wrote:

I dun even think it is too extreme... Compared to other extreme violence and soft porn in other manga and anime... It is still viewable for kids...



i hate those kind of anime. i have a 10 year old cousin consuming those anime and really enjoys it. poor kid. his brain will rot sooner that mine will.



Hoshi4Hikaru wrote:

what gintama needs is to sign with a big company or the thought of it being licensed is scary but that would raise it too maybe to bandai or sumthing else that's big cause i know this could be a good series for humor viewers just not alot of people willing to try... just like alive: the final evolution thank god an anime is going out on it XD i'm so excited woo! oh by the way it's really bloody and has themes like death and stuff, i need something to fill up the empty space where death note left off and not that bull code le... w/e clamp made it too much like death note that i don't want to watch it


do u mean Code Geass? becoz i haet it too


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

its the damn PG, plus kids dont get the punchlines


kids dont watch Gintama. they suck on ninjutsu and bankai. only the matured peepz watch Gintama<3




coolchemistry wrote:

I don't know.. maybe it's humour is pretty outlandish. It seems to only work for few people that get that sort of humour...


most kids these days are just too emo to laugh. blame the shinigami and ninja anime.

Member
338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 8/16/08
I wouldn't say its unpopular, its more a 'cult' show, it gets great ratings on most anime sites(8+ out of 10 usually) coz most people that like Gintama love it. Can't be that unpopular seeing as its got 110+ eps already with no sign of it stopping, if it was truly unpopular it would be long gone by now.
Member
600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/16/08
I say it's not popular because some people who watches anime actually excepts a plot in it x.x That's why my brother doesn't watch it
Member
25701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Outer Space
Offline
Posted 8/16/08

silas0898 wrote:

I wouldn't say its unpopular, its more a 'cult' show, it gets great ratings on most anime sites(8+ out of 10 usually) coz most people that like Gintama love it. Can't be that unpopular seeing as its got 110+ eps already with no sign of it stopping, if it was truly unpopular it would be long gone by now.


QFT.

Also, it's quite popular in Japan, hence the 119 episodes and still kicking. Although the anime is swiftly catching up to the manga... what will Sunrise do!? WHAT WILL THEY DOOOOO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Member
73 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/16/08

LavenderYuki wrote:

...i just cant understand the licensing-hate. it will give Gintama the fame it should have. it's not as if we cant watch it anymore or anything, just that we wont be watching it for free. yeah yeah EVERYONE haets English dub. i hate them too (worst; Jigoku Shoujo. i mean, wtf?). but so far, the another cultural-reference-filled anime i've seen like PPD, Hale nochi Guu, and also FMA and Emma got a decent dub. let's just hope Gintama will do too.



Yeah, we won't get to watch it *free*. That's the point and the problem. We want free. As in NO $$$ necessary. See: $$$ for Gintama means less $$$ for rent, gasoline and food.
No $$$ for those things = no survival.

I mean, I suppose if it did get licensed, we'd find it somewhere other than crunchy, like Veoh or something, but jeez! Veoh takes a long time to load.

I find it hard to believe that Gintama will get a decent dubbing, b/c the show is pretty high in the charged emotions department. English dubbers tend to overdo it big time when trying to transfer that to the English screen, no offense intended.

Gintama has the fame it should have. Seriously, don't we, non-Japanese people, know about it? The fact that it's even made it this far out of Japan and garnered such positive responses from people is proof of it's popularity. The fact that we are even having this discussion shows that it's popular enough to have fans arguing about and defending it, demanding that it gets the recognition we feel it deserves.

Isn't it better to have a fanbase that is, yes, perhaps a bit smaller than Bleach's fanbase, yet hardcore and dedicated?

Do we honestly need a bunch of Gintama-version Narutards walking around before we convince ourselves that Gintama is popular enough?
Member
9781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / cavite / phil
Offline
Posted 8/17/08
maybe too extreme for the noobie anime watcher hehe who loves watching transforming,training blah blah, well why don't they watch the main arc so they know how cool this really is..the fighting scene is really a superb! for dubbing gintama?well if they can make gintoki's tone of voice then maybe.. too much badwords
Member
7051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 8/17/08
my opinion is because gintama's first episodes lacks actions like bleach.. but thats only for the first part, which unfortunately new viewer would be watching.. it will be either they'll like it or not..
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dsl Box
Offline
Posted 8/17/08

LavenderYuki wrote:


xshadowpuffx wrote:

It's pretty popular in Japan. haha

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/1320/Best+anime+of+2007.html


LOL @ the comments at the bottom. and majority completely disagree at the result. they must have forget, Japanese's taste is fairly different than other countries. their otakus are nothing compared to gaijin otakus. but wtf Sola? yep. Japanese otaku are far much weirder.




geoffc wrote:

I dun even think it is too extreme... Compared to other extreme violence and soft porn in other manga and anime... It is still viewable for kids...



i hate those kind of anime. i have a 10 year old cousin consuming those anime and really enjoys it. poor kid. his brain will rot sooner that mine will.



Hoshi4Hikaru wrote:

what gintama needs is to sign with a big company or the thought of it being licensed is scary but that would raise it too maybe to bandai or sumthing else that's big cause i know this could be a good series for humor viewers just not alot of people willing to try... just like alive: the final evolution thank god an anime is going out on it XD i'm so excited woo! oh by the way it's really bloody and has themes like death and stuff, i need something to fill up the empty space where death note left off and not that bull code le... w/e clamp made it too much like death note that i don't want to watch it


do u mean Code Geass? becoz i haet it too


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

its the damn PG, plus kids dont get the punchlines


kids dont watch Gintama. they suck on ninjutsu and bankai. only the matured peepz watch Gintama<3




coolchemistry wrote:

I don't know.. maybe it's humour is pretty outlandish. It seems to only work for few people that get that sort of humour...


most kids these days are just too emo to laugh. blame the shinigami and ninja anime.



Wow, you've totally taken time to write all this up.. Didn't read most of what you said, but I agree with the kids these days being too emo part. I've watched Death Note/Naruto; both are sickeningly mawkish, and the latter (shippuuden part) is FULL of dang emo flashbacks! Gintama and Katekyo are the best as far as I know
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dsl Box
Offline
Posted 8/17/08

duskiryl wrote:


LavenderYuki wrote:

...i just cant understand the licensing-hate. it will give Gintama the fame it should have. it's not as if we cant watch it anymore or anything, just that we wont be watching it for free. yeah yeah EVERYONE haets English dub. i hate them too (worst; Jigoku Shoujo. i mean, wtf?). but so far, the another cultural-reference-filled anime i've seen like PPD, Hale nochi Guu, and also FMA and Emma got a decent dub. let's just hope Gintama will do too.



Yeah, we won't get to watch it *free*. That's the point and the problem. We want free. As in NO $$$ necessary. See: $$$ for Gintama means less $$$ for rent, gasoline and food.
No $$$ for those things = no survival.

I mean, I suppose if it did get licensed, we'd find it somewhere other than crunchy, like Veoh or something, but jeez! Veoh takes a long time to load.

I find it hard to believe that Gintama will get a decent dubbing, b/c the show is pretty high in the charged emotions department. English dubbers tend to overdo it big time when trying to transfer that to the English screen, no offense intended.

Gintama has the fame it should have. Seriously, don't we, non-Japanese people, know about it? The fact that it's even made it this far out of Japan and garnered such positive responses from people is proof of it's popularity. The fact that we are even having this discussion shows that it's popular enough to have fans arguing about and defending it, demanding that it gets the recognition we feel it deserves.

Isn't it better to have a fanbase that is, yes, perhaps a bit smaller than Bleach's fanbase, yet hardcore and dedicated?

Do we honestly need a bunch of Gintama-version Narutards walking around before we convince ourselves that Gintama is popular enough?


I'm against the whole 'let's be hardcore fans' thing for any anime, but YEAH I totally almost cried 'EWW NO' when I read your last line. 'Gintama-version Narutards' would seriously be a nightmare.
Member
1238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 8/17/08

screenwatch wrote:

I say it's not popular because some people who watches anime actually excepts a plot in it x.x That's why my brother doesn't watch it


I agree with this because some people thought a successful movie/anime/manga/whatever must have some main plot in order for people to continue watching.
Member
1038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / philippines,quezo...
Offline
Posted 8/17/08
i guess so
maybe it would be licensed in japan its only thursday and i watch it but others say that they dont like the humors of gintama
probably
Member
1038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / philippines,quezo...
Offline
Posted 8/17/08

coolchemistry wrote:


LavenderYuki wrote:


xshadowpuffx wrote:

It's pretty popular in Japan. haha

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/1320/Best+anime+of+2007.html


LOL @ the comments at the bottom. and majority completely disagree at the result. they must have forget, Japanese's taste is fairly different than other countries. their otakus are nothing compared to gaijin otakus. but wtf Sola? yep. Japanese otaku are far much weirder.




geoffc wrote:

I dun even think it is too extreme... Compared to other extreme violence and soft porn in other manga and anime... It is still viewable for kids...



i hate those kind of anime. i have a 10 year old cousin consuming those anime and really enjoys it. poor kid. his brain will rot sooner that mine will.



Hoshi4Hikaru wrote:

what gintama needs is to sign with a big company or the thought of it being licensed is scary but that would raise it too maybe to bandai or sumthing else that's big cause i know this could be a good series for humor viewers just not alot of people willing to try... just like alive: the final evolution thank god an anime is going out on it XD i'm so excited woo! oh by the way it's really bloody and has themes like death and stuff, i need something to fill up the empty space where death note left off and not that bull code le... w/e clamp made it too much like death note that i don't want to watch it


do u mean Code Geass? becoz i haet it too


Ginpachi-Sensei wrote:

its the damn PG, plus kids dont get the punchlines


kids dont watch Gintama. they suck on ninjutsu and bankai. only the matured peepz watch Gintama<3




coolchemistry wrote:

I don't know.. maybe it's humour is pretty outlandish. It seems to only work for few people that get that sort of humour...


most kids these days are just too emo to laugh. blame the shinigami and ninja anime.



Wow, you've totally taken time to write all this up.. Didn't read most of what you said, but I agree with the kids these days being too emo part. I've watched Death Note/Naruto; both are sickeningly mawkish, and the latter (shippuuden part) is FULL of dang emo flashbacks! Gintama and Katekyo are the best as far as I know

i agree i don't know why they dont like it but maybe its the reason the kids are pretty emo

Member
24526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Malaysia
Offline
Posted 8/17/08

duskiryl wrote:


Yeah, we won't get to watch it *free*. That's the point and the problem. We want free. As in NO $$$ necessary. See: $$$ for Gintama means less $$$ for rent, gasoline and food.
No $$$ for those things = no survival.

I mean, I suppose if it did get licensed, we'd find it somewhere other than crunchy, like Veoh or something, but jeez! Veoh takes a long time to load.

I find it hard to believe that Gintama will get a decent dubbing, b/c the show is pretty high in the charged emotions department. English dubbers tend to overdo it big time when trying to transfer that to the English screen, no offense intended.

Gintama has the fame it should have. Seriously, don't we, non-Japanese people, know about it? The fact that it's even made it this far out of Japan and garnered such positive responses from people is proof of it's popularity. The fact that we are even having this discussion shows that it's popular enough to have fans arguing about and defending it, demanding that it gets the recognition we feel it deserves.

Isn't it better to have a fanbase that is, yes, perhaps a bit smaller than Bleach's fanbase, yet hardcore and dedicated?

Do we honestly need a bunch of Gintama-version Narutards walking around before we convince ourselves that Gintama is popular enough?


totally agreed with u, xspecially the Veoh part (damn take too long to upload )

n i really happy the way thing is rite now. i didnt mind if it bacome much n much popular in d future, but i wont fuss over it either. this is the kind of anime i can proudly told my frenz i watch n love it, eventhough they never heard about it (like i said, i really dun care, i just simply love it!).

n pls pls pls pls dont want it to turn to be "Gintama-version Narutards" *SCREAM*
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.