First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Human inferioroity?
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 8/24/08 , edited 8/24/08

dmitsuki wrote:



The state or feeling of being pleased or gratified.


I just go with the dictionary lol.



....pleasure is also defined as the absence of pain...
ROFL >.<....never mind...maybe arguing about it is pointless after all
Posted 8/24/08

brogits wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:



The state or feeling of being pleased or gratified.


I just go with the dictionary lol.



....pleasure is also defined as the absence of pain...
ROFL >.<....never mind...maybe arguing about it is pointless after all


mas·och·ism Audio Help /ˈmæsəˌkɪzəm, ˈmæz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mas-uh-kiz-uhm, maz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.
5103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / it's all in your...
Offline
Posted 8/24/08
We are not inferior to the rest of the animal species.

We adapt to different things, we mimic other animals to gain new knowledge, we create things to make impossible things plausible, we are able to discern from various situations and make choices, we create things and make them our own...

I'm sure there are many activities we as humans do that makes us by far the superior species that I had failed to mention. Fact is, we are as we are now because of our ability of reason - the ability of deduction.

But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully.
Posted 8/24/08

WeeBoX wrote:

We are not inferior to the rest of the animal species.

We adapt to different things, we mimic other animals to gain new knowledge, we create things to make impossible things plausible, we are able to discern from various situations and make choices, we create things and make them our own...

I'm sure there are many activities we as humans do that makes us by far the superior species that I had failed to mention. Fact is, we are as we are now because of our ability of reason - the ability of deduction.

But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully.


Would a bunch of cows ever blow there selves into there own end?
692 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/24/08
I was going to continue the argument, but now that I have shown what dmitsuki really means, I'll leave it to others to continue the war of words since I see no more reason to stay here.

Good day.
5103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / it's all in your...
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

dmitsuki wrote:


WeeBoX wrote:

We are not inferior to the rest of the animal species.

We adapt to different things, we mimic other animals to gain new knowledge, we create things to make impossible things plausible, we are able to discern from various situations and make choices, we create things and make them our own...

I'm sure there are many activities we as humans do that makes us by far the superior species that I had failed to mention. Fact is, we are as we are now because of our ability of reason - the ability of deduction.

But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully.


Would a bunch of cows ever blow there selves into there own end?


I'm sure we do things that would benefit us in the end, ideally; but like I have stated, we fail in execution. We leave gargantuan loopholes in some our actions to our own detriment. I'm not saying that everything we do is flawed nor is it perfect. What I'm trying to point out is that sometimes we tend to neglect the ramifications of our own actions and focus singly on what's there, and not the effects of what's going to happen after. We think too much of our present and fail to conceptualize its effect of our future.

Also, I'm not very fond of rhetoric and I should add that although it is structured correctly, "themselves" would have been the right word as opposed to "there selves", which technically doesn't make sense.
Posted 8/24/08

WeeBoX wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


WeeBoX wrote:

We are not inferior to the rest of the animal species.

We adapt to different things, we mimic other animals to gain new knowledge, we create things to make impossible things plausible, we are able to discern from various situations and make choices, we create things and make them our own...

I'm sure there are many activities we as humans do that makes us by far the superior species that I had failed to mention. Fact is, we are as we are now because of our ability of reason - the ability of deduction.

But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully.


Would a bunch of cows ever blow there selves into there own end?


I'm sure we do things that would benefit us in the end, ideally; but like I have stated, we fail in execution. We leave gargantuan loopholes in some our actions to our own detriment. I'm not saying that everything we do is flawed nor is it perfect. What I'm trying to point out is that sometimes we tend to neglect the ramifications of our own actions and focus singly on what's there, and not the effects of what's going to happen after. We think too much of our present and fail to conceptualize its effect of our future.

Also, I'm not very fond of rhetoric and I should add that although it is structured correctly, "themselves" would have been the right word as opposed to "there selves", which technically doesn't make sense.


Lulz I'm on sleeping pills, so I honestly don't care for a grammar mistake or two And in all honestly, I don't even think I saw this paragraph the first time I read your first comment.


"But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully."

I'm drugged right now.
5103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / it's all in your...
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

dmitsuki wrote:


WeeBoX wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


WeeBoX wrote:

We are not inferior to the rest of the animal species.

We adapt to different things, we mimic other animals to gain new knowledge, we create things to make impossible things plausible, we are able to discern from various situations and make choices, we create things and make them our own...

I'm sure there are many activities we as humans do that makes us by far the superior species that I had failed to mention. Fact is, we are as we are now because of our ability of reason - the ability of deduction.

But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully.


Would a bunch of cows ever blow there selves into there own end?


I'm sure we do things that would benefit us in the end, ideally; but like I have stated, we fail in execution. We leave gargantuan loopholes in some our actions to our own detriment. I'm not saying that everything we do is flawed nor is it perfect. What I'm trying to point out is that sometimes we tend to neglect the ramifications of our own actions and focus singly on what's there, and not the effects of what's going to happen after. We think too much of our present and fail to conceptualize its effect of our future.

Also, I'm not very fond of rhetoric and I should add that although it is structured correctly, "themselves" would have been the right word as opposed to "there selves", which technically doesn't make sense.


Lulz I'm on sleeping pills, so I honestly don't care for a grammar mistake or two And in all honestly, I don't even think I saw this paragraph the first time I read your first comment.


"But then again, I would say that even if we have used our mind to the full extent, we haven't made all the right choices, have we? It is true that we have crafted new knowledge, exploited our resources and gave reason to just about everything, but this is where the serious flaw of our existence lies -our inability to execute our ideas and ideals rightfully."

I'm drugged right now.


It happens. =P

And if you are on the pills, I guess it is understandable why you point out that it clouds your judgment (and grammar for the lulz), and I think so too. So no harm done and lay low on them pills and get some sleep if it is indeed the reason why you are taking them.

After all, To err is human, to forgive divine...
Posted 8/24/08

WeeBoX wrote:



It happens. =P

And if you are on the pills, I guess it is understandable why you point out that it clouds your judgment (and grammar for the lulz), and I think so too. So no harm done and lay low on them pills and get some sleep if it is indeed the reason why you are taking them.

After all, To err is human, to forgive divine...


Yeah, I thought you were just arguing humans ultimately superior then everything else. So, if I hadn't already said so, sorry. It is just about time for me to sleep to.
Posted 8/24/08
We were born by.

WtfHax.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 8/26/08 , edited 8/26/08

dmitsuki wrote:



mas·och·ism Audio Help /ˈmæsəˌkɪzəm, ˈmæz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mas-uh-kiz-uhm, maz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.


what im saying is that, there's no point in arguing about it because we have different connotations of the word "pleasure" (to hell with dictionary meanings). i cant force my view on you, and neither can you force your view on me....
and oh, just to have a say on the original topic (human inferiority that is), i think that if you count the things that could possibly make animals superior to humans (if there are even any), they are less likely to outnumber the reasons why we humans should generally be considered superior...if you look at things in a wider perspective, you'll see what i mean....

edit:
but in your essay (which i happened to skip because i instantly made a comment based on the title), u're saying that we should all just have simplistic minds like animals...hmmm...*thinks*...though you may have a point, i dont think that's likely to happen...and your proposition may even be, to some great degree, at our disadvantage...imagine if we were as simplistic as animals...
Posted 8/26/08

brogits wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:



mas·och·ism Audio Help /ˈmæsəˌkɪzəm, ˈmæz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mas-uh-kiz-uhm, maz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.


what im saying is that, there's no point in arguing about it because we have different connotations of the word "pleasure" (to hell with dictionary meanings). i cant force my view on you, and neither can you force your view on me....
and oh, just to have a say on the original topic (human inferiority that is), i think that if you count the things that could possibly make animals superior to humans (if there are even any), they are less likely to outnumber the reasons why we humans should generally be considered superior...if you look at things in a wider perspective, you'll see what i mean....

edit:
but in your essay (which i happened to skip because i instantly made a comment based on the title), u're saying that we should all just have simplistic minds like animals...hmmm...*thinks*...though you may have a point, i dont think that's likely to happen...and your proposition may even be, to some great degree, at our disadvantage...imagine if we were as simplistic as animals...


I did before I wrote that lol. Also the fact that we can lead to our own extinction through selfishness really outweighs any positive I can think of.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 8/27/08 , edited 8/27/08

dmitsuki wrote:


brogits wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:



mas·och·ism Audio Help /ˈmæsəˌkɪzəm, ˈmæz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mas-uh-kiz-uhm, maz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.


what im saying is that, there's no point in arguing about it because we have different connotations of the word "pleasure" (to hell with dictionary meanings). i cant force my view on you, and neither can you force your view on me....
and oh, just to have a say on the original topic (human inferiority that is), i think that if you count the things that could possibly make animals superior to humans (if there are even any), they are less likely to outnumber the reasons why we humans should generally be considered superior...if you look at things in a wider perspective, you'll see what i mean....

edit:
but in your essay (which i happened to skip because i instantly made a comment based on the title), u're saying that we should all just have simplistic minds like animals...hmmm...*thinks*...though you may have a point, i dont think that's likely to happen...and your proposition may even be, to some great degree, at our disadvantage...imagine if we were as simplistic as animals...


I did before I wrote that lol. Also the fact that we can lead to our own extinction through selfishness really outweighs any positive I can think of.



well, what u imagined was different from what i imagined i guess i imagined us acting on our impulses without even thinking about the consequences (because after all, that's how animals behave right?)...it's like we are governed by the most basic of all instincts (such as walking and eating), our actions are simply dictated by our hormones and our intelligence is reduced to nothing...it's like we have bodies without souls...
we would kill without second thoughts in the name of food....we would jump right at some boy/girl when our sexual hormones get active....dont you think it's a lil too crazy? we were made different from animals thus we must act differently from them...so we can have a higher quality of life than they do....so we can think before we act...
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 8/27/08

dmitsuki wrote:

I'm sure you think yourself better then a dog. You are SMARTER then the dog after all, so therefore you are superior to it. In fact, were so superior, that we can kill every single dog on the planet right now if we so desired, in fact we could destroy all life on this planet completely if we REALLY wanted to. With this kind of power, we are obviously the most superior race of beings on this planet, correct? No, why you ask? Exactly, WHY is why we are not.


You fail to make the distinction between 'superiority' (in terms of evolutionary advantage) and how superiority relates to value theory in general. You have to refer to some moral system in order to justify or even state such a statement.


dmitsuki wrote:Ok, I probably lost you there, so let me bring you back. Have you ever asked yourself why? Why am I here? What is the point of life? At one time, we have all questioned our own existence. When men think of things like this, we make things like religion. I'm not saying your God doesn't exist, but I am saying they don't ALL exist. In other words, what I'm saying is correct because even if there is a "God" then that means everybody who became a Buddhist would of been wrong. And if you notice, EVERY religion deals with matters of what are going to happen when they you die. Why is this? Because a man, unlike ALL other animals, can question there own existence and have the brain capacity for suicide and insanity.


Other animals have the capacity for suicide (lemmings, anyone?), although they may not be able to ponder the moral dilemmas of the action. And insanity is not limited to human beings in the slightest either.


dmitsuki wrote:This simple flaw in our design, brought us the holocaust, gay bashing, wars, and many other things, almost all negative. The fact is, when people have the capcity for thought like this, we are only second to Gods. I may sound arrogant right now saying we are only second to Gods, but think about it. The only one who can ask the question is us, and the only one can answer them are Gods. Paradoxically, the fact that we ask these kind of questions, make us INFERIOR to other animals, who will always function properly and never say something as absurd as "Why am I eating this monkey?" When we ask outselves these questions, there are no answers, so we have to make our own. Some people come to the conclusion there must be a all mighty beign who can tell us all the answers, then we get religion. Some people say that there are logical answers and they search for them, thus we get science. Some people now need to justify there own existence, because if there is no point in any action you take, do you really exist? From that, we get philosophy. From these different view points, we get conflict amongst ourselves, something not found in other animals society's.


'Design' assumes that we were created with a specific purpose in mind. Define Gods please, or else this paragraph has no intellectual value. The early gods of Mesopotamia, Greece, and Egypt were in no way superior to their worshippers (except through sheer power).

You seriously believe that animals always function 'properly', whatever that means. You're being naive in your attempts to have it both ways: you cannot deny the existence of the supernatural and yet assign words like 'purpose' and 'design' to natural processes.

That's not where philosophy comes from at all. A focus on human meaning and existence is a relatively recent phenomenon in philosophical thought.

You are extremely ignorant about how natural societies function if you believe there is no conflict in nature.



dmitsuki wrote:Another thing that makes us humans so "great" is the capacity to love. Love, is a deep affection for something, by definition. Therefore its possible to love your T.V. People often say that love for people is different, but its exactly the same. You have a deep affection for the thing, and just like the T.V., when the new model is released, or the better person comes along, you lose affection for one and switch to the other. People say, "then you really didn't love the person!" but, by definition you did. And true love is the same, because you still only have a true deep affection for something, that is easily subject to change. BECAUSE of this, in our society, we generate more conflict, causing more internal problems.


It really depends on your definition of love. Dictionary definitions are very unreliable for describing ideals, since they fail to include the effects of culture and society on the meaning of the word.

Over-romanticization is a problem in today's society; deliberate misrepresentation of how relationships form and endure in order to appeal to impossible ideals. Rather, I could argue that the above paragraph describes this trend in general and does not address love at all.


dmitsuki wrote:There are much more things I can list, that are only found in humans that people say make us unique or whatever, but all these things ultimately do is make us our OWN worst enemies. I'm sure you all have heard the expression, "To smart for your own good." One way you can take this is you know to much or figure things out fast so you put yourself in a bad situation like with the mafia or something. But when I read this, I thought about it, and to me, the expression is good to express that the human mind is so advance that it becomes a burden on men. And in the end, it leaves us as the only animal who kill each other on mass scales, kill ourselves, and hinder our own progression as a race.


I believe the expression goes more along the lines of knowing too much for your own good. It becomes a burden when we realize that all situations are much more complex than they first appear, and have deeper consequences than we initially conceived. Rather than promote action, it inhibits it because we cannot see with tunnel-vision only certain parts of the picture.

There are many examples of animals that perform the actions you claim only human beings can do.



dmitsuki wrote:I can tell you, I have thought deeply about why I exist, or if I even do. I'm not one to just accept things for the way they are, or crap like "Well if you enjoy life then its all good right!" or "Just don't worry about it!" It bothers me, because if you are like me, then you need a justifiable reason to do something. Why should I help save a person who in the end will accomplish nothing and die anyway? What has anybody really ever accomplished? In the end, they have all died and will be forgotten. When they are forgotten, do they even exist?

Adof Hitler. You know who he is right, he existed, and still does "exist". Jenny B. Williams. You know who she is? Neither do I, its just a random name, but I know its a person. Nobody knew this person was ever here, does she cease to exist?

Somebody once said "I think, therefore I am." I tell that man, "What is a thought, and how does it justify it's existence?"

edit: summary. We think to much, we would all be better off with the simplistic mind of animals.


Technically speaking, people fail to exist after death because their life processes cease.

Descartes is wrong. Soon I will actually make a thread proving why he is wrong.

Yes, because superior intelligence has in no way improved the living conditions of human beings. Ever.
2669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Right there
Offline
Posted 9/29/08
mm i think were all equal... superiority its a very subjective term anyways

lol i always though humans were to stupid to handle their intelligence properly
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.