First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
if a tree fell..
1857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / at my computer desk
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

J0hNNy2 wrote:


last-of-my-breed wrote:

No, it wouldn't make a sound because by the dictionary's definition of sound is the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium. So if no one is around to hear it then the tree didn't make a sound.


sound doesn't have to be a sensation, it can just be vibrations transmitted through air by itself. but you're right it doesn't make a sound when you go by that definition


Why is there so many different definitons? What is the point in humans creating a dictionary if no one pays attention to it? .... I looked in another dictionary and it said sound is that which is or can be heard then it has a semicolon and repeats the same thing in my first quote.
Posted 8/24/08
o0 its a sound even if no one hears it
Posted 8/24/08

last-of-my-breed wrote:


J0hNNy2 wrote:


last-of-my-breed wrote:

No, it wouldn't make a sound because by the dictionary's definition of sound is the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium. So if no one is around to hear it then the tree didn't make a sound.


sound doesn't have to be a sensation, it can just be vibrations transmitted through air by itself. but you're right it doesn't make a sound when you go by that definition


Why is there so many different definitons? What is the point in humans creating a dictionary if no one pays attention to it? .... I looked in another dictionary and it said sound is that which is or can be heard then it has a semicolon and repeats the same thing in my first quote.


Eh I don't know, they're just to lazy to make new words. In physics sound is usually described as a vibration and in biology it's prob a sensation. They just use it in different ways but they're talking bout the same thing.
3856 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Outer Heaven
Offline
Posted 8/24/08
If a tree fell in the forest, we'd know the beavers would be having a field day.
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / :3 LaalalaLaaa~!
Offline
Posted 8/24/08 , edited 8/24/08
Yes. : D
1857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / at my computer desk
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

J0hNNy2 wrote:


last-of-my-breed wrote:


J0hNNy2 wrote:


last-of-my-breed wrote:

No, it wouldn't make a sound because by the dictionary's definition of sound is the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium. So if no one is around to hear it then the tree didn't make a sound.


sound doesn't have to be a sensation, it can just be vibrations transmitted through air by itself. but you're right it doesn't make a sound when you go by that definition


Why is there so many different definitons? What is the point in humans creating a dictionary if no one pays attention to it? .... I looked in another dictionary and it said sound is that which is or can be heard then it has a semicolon and repeats the same thing in my first quote.


Eh I don't know, they're just to lazy to make new words. In physics sound is usually described as a vibration and in biology it's prob a sensation. They just use it in different ways but they're talking bout the same thing.


I'm so asking my teacher tomorrow..
Posted 8/24/08 , edited 8/24/08

last-of-my-breed wrote:


I'm so asking my teacher tomorrow..


I think the best way I can explain it is there's multiple point of views and perceptions, in physics sound is nothing more then vibrations of molecules but what does sound mean to a doctor or musician. Not everyone agrees on the same thing. I like purple too
Posted 8/24/08 , edited 8/24/08
You mean by "empty forrest" as in nobody(animals, humans, insects, etc) is present?
Even if there is nobody around, the tree will still make a sound once it is falling on the ground, it's a matter of physical laws, just there will be nobody who can percieve this sound, at least not beings who have the ability to hear. Maybe the surrounding plants would realise the sound's vibrations that are being transmitted through the air.
But my answer to this is, yes, it will make a sound. Physical laws don't change just because there is nobody around to percieve them.

Floetry~
1857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / at my computer desk
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

J0hNNy2 wrote:


last-of-my-breed wrote:


I'm so asking my teacher tomorrow..


I think the best way I can explain it is there's multiple point of views and perceptions, in physics sound is nothing more then vibrations of molecules but what does sound mean to a doctor or musician. Not everyone agrees on the same thing. I like purple too


Purple and black are my favorite colors. I play an instrument so I consider myself a musician.
4142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / everywhere and an...
Offline
Posted 8/24/08
How can a forest be empty? O.o
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / nowhere to be found
Offline
Posted 8/24/08
ugh, I so hate this question.

But ok... In reality it doesn't because no one's there to record it or experience it. So it's like the tree never made a sound. But we all know it did.
1857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / at my computer desk
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

Bamubii wrote:

How can a forest be empty? O.o


It can be empty of human life...
39793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / With the one I lo...
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

jette1221 wrote:

random and pointless thread...


5719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/24/08


If two trees have sex in a forest, and no one is around to see it.
1857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / at my computer desk
Offline
Posted 8/24/08

voidlugiron wrote:



If two trees have sex in a forest, and no one is around to see it.


LMAO!!! Is that real or photoshopped?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.