First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
The Olympics
520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Tampa, Florida
Offline
Posted 8/27/08
Well, the Olympics are over now anyway.
Honestly though, what annoyed me was the fact that supporters for protesting in Tibet are absolutely horrible to use the Olympics as an excuse to attack.
It's a global sporting event which they had to make less enjoyable for me to watch because of all the stupid "boycott this" "boycott that" "screw China" "genocide" whatever.

And what's with them relating the Nazis to China????? My GOSH.

The Olympics is supposed to bring people together so we can watch SPORTS, something which the WORLD CAN SHARE TOGETHER. How DARE they use the Olympics to stage protests.
HOW DARE THEY.
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/27/08 , edited 8/27/08

dmitsuki wrote:

Are we really all that stupid that we take such pride in these events, make such a big deal about them, and then worship people for it?


A guy runs really fast, big deal.

Now lets factor in the Olympics.

A guy runs really fast in the Olympics, HE IS HIS COUNTRY'S HERO, WOW! Lets give him a medal some money and stick him in newspapers, on the television, and much more!


Also one of the points of the Olympics are supposed to be showing unity or whatever, which is why we are all so competitive and insulting during them.

Honestly, I don't care about the Olympics, I don't mean get rid of them, I'm just saying, why is it such a big deal? The only thing the Olympics have done for us really is

1. Show black people were not physically inferior to white people (guess thats pretty done, even though it was done in other places to.)

2. Give the Soviets and Americans one more then to fight over.

3. Give Tibetan protesters targets.


Is not a big deal for whom? for you? how is the fact that is not a big deal for you correlates with the value of the Olympics as a whole?
mere opinions do not make up an argument.

In order for someone to reach such conclusions and go as far as to say 'the only thing the Olympics have done for us is:' can only be possible if you factor out the amount of effort, preparation, and evolution of the sports, the athletes, their techniques, etc.

These people face many odds in order to reach the Olympics, they prepare and focus on winning a medal. It is one of the highest honors an athlete can achieve. What is the highest honor a person in say, your career or the discipline that you like can achieve? What if I say such thing is 'meh big deal'. That sounds ignorant.

and let's not be hypocrites, every person, either by cultural factors or by human nature and even evolutionarily, shows at some point, a desire to reach the top. that is one of the things the Olympics is about, that drive towards the goal and to say is not a big deal, is contradicting to the time when you will be faced with a challenge and decide to go for the top.

To only 'Factor in the olympics' as you claim by only focusing on the coverage aspects of it, the speculation, the ignorance of some of th people that miss the point of it all and decide to 'compete and insult like brutes, and the other stereotypical bullshit found on those 3 points you made is to see them as closed minded as it can get.

So far I see no valid claims for the subject of this thread.

654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / US
Offline
Posted 8/27/08

dmitsuki wrote:


BlackCheese456 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


music190 wrote:


Chance16 wrote:

^suck my shlonggggg.


Why don't you say that to my face?


cheestrings wrote:


music190 wrote: The Chinese rigged the Olympics


go eat shit!


Think about it. The Chinese are all big on not disgracing what ever they honor and it just so happens when the Olympics come around, there in first place.


That could have to do with the fact they focused on ONLY the events they knew they could take, which there happened to be more of then the ones they knew even if they tried they would lulz fail.

IE Go Ping Pong, screw Basketball.


Except that's not a fact.

dotdotdot

Yes, the Chinese even said that was there plan to win more medals.


Chinese said that there was a plan to win more medals =/= Chinese only focusing on events they were sure they would take.

Of course, simply linking to a credible website where it says that "The Chinese focused only on events they knew they would take." would obviously mean that you are in fact correct.
53942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 8/27/08
I wonder what arguements will occur when the London 2012 Olympics start... hmm...
Posted 8/27/08

BlackCheese456 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


BlackCheese456 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


music190 wrote:


Chance16 wrote:

^suck my shlonggggg.


Why don't you say that to my face?


cheestrings wrote:


music190 wrote: The Chinese rigged the Olympics


go eat shit!


Think about it. The Chinese are all big on not disgracing what ever they honor and it just so happens when the Olympics come around, there in first place.


That could have to do with the fact they focused on ONLY the events they knew they could take, which there happened to be more of then the ones they knew even if they tried they would lulz fail.

IE Go Ping Pong, screw Basketball.


Except that's not a fact.

dotdotdot

Yes, the Chinese even said that was there plan to win more medals.


Chinese said that there was a plan to win more medals =/= Chinese only focusing on events they were sure they would take.

Of course, simply linking to a credible website where it says that "The Chinese focused only on events they knew they would take." would obviously mean that you are in fact correct.

That would require me to care 100% more. It was in a Yahoo news thing, if you look you can find it.
654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / US
Offline
Posted 8/27/08

dmitsuki wrote:


BlackCheese456 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


BlackCheese456 wrote:


dmitsuki wrote:


music190 wrote:


Chance16 wrote:

^suck my shlonggggg.


Why don't you say that to my face?


cheestrings wrote:


music190 wrote: The Chinese rigged the Olympics


go eat shit!


Think about it. The Chinese are all big on not disgracing what ever they honor and it just so happens when the Olympics come around, there in first place.


That could have to do with the fact they focused on ONLY the events they knew they could take, which there happened to be more of then the ones they knew even if they tried they would lulz fail.

IE Go Ping Pong, screw Basketball.


Except that's not a fact.

dotdotdot

Yes, the Chinese even said that was there plan to win more medals.


Chinese said that there was a plan to win more medals =/= Chinese only focusing on events they were sure they would take.

Of course, simply linking to a credible website where it says that "The Chinese focused only on events they knew they would take." would obviously mean that you are in fact correct.

That would require me to care 100% more. It was in a Yahoo news thing, if you look you can find it.


That's a shame.
34529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Undisclosed Location
Offline
Posted 8/27/08
Already plenty of Olympics threads.

Locked
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.